Options

Fitness Thread V

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm noting that alot of the strength/muscle-building exercises are requiring significant weights of some kind or another. For a person whose sole access to weights consists of 2 3-pound hand weights, are there any other kind of exercises that would act as muscle-building? Or would it be simply pushups and situps?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    my friends and i were in a "care and prevention of Athletic injury" class in college, and we were allowed to mess around with a stim machine. suffice to say, put a contact at the top of your inside forarm, and at your wrist, crank the voltage(i think that's what you are adjusting) and you may nearly break your own hand.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I am wondering what type of routine works my love handle fattyness? I am doing crunches but thats aim more on my abs. What exercise works on the sides and even back(lower)?
    Thanks

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    KidDynamiteKidDynamite Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    so you know what's awesome!?! I've been doing great on my workout, running 2-3 miles a week, kettlebelling the same. Feeling pretty good.

Then I threw my back out, unrelated to working out (I hadn't kettlebelled in a couple of days before) so now I get to relax and recover. Plus the meds make me feel crazy (prednisone regimen and muscle relaxers in the evening if I need them)

I'm getting better, but it's such a bore. I've really been looking forward to my runs.

KidDynamite on
  • Options
    losabiolosabio Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Superset utensil set downs and chair push aways.

losabio on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Horus wrote: »
    I am wondering what type of routine works my love handle fattyness? I am doing crunches but thats aim more on my abs. What exercise works on the sides and even back(lower)?
    Thanks

Spot reduction is a myth. Your body will decided when fat in a certain area will go away, for men the stomach area usually the last place it will leave.

Read the OP.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Thanks

Spot reduction is a myth. Your body will decided when fat in a certain area will go away, for men the stomach area usually the last place it will leave.

Read the OP.

I know about spot reduction and was hoping I was not coming across with that idea. I just want to add new routines to my schedule with emphasis on that area.

Also is loosing 10lbs in a month unhealthy?

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks

Read the OP.

I know about spot reduction and was hoping I was not coming across with that idea. I just want to add new routines to my schedule with emphasis on that area.

If you just started eating right and exercising, 10lbs in a month might be possible as your body gets used to it. Under normal circumstances I believe 2lbs a week is the healthy max.

HOWEVER

Do not let weight loss be your sole metric for progress measurement. Stay the hell away from BMI in particular. Focus more on how your measurements are progressing and in turn how clothes are fitting.

If you really want numbers to track, learn to use calipers to measure body fat. And even then only use it as a rough guide.

As long as you keep to eating healthy and exercising you will make progress, assuming no horrible medical conditions.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    TonicTonic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    necro I can't imagine that you don't post itt

Tonic on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks

Read the OP.

What exactly do you think emphasising that area is going to accomplish? You say you know about spot reduction being a myth, so it sure as hell wouldn't make it any smaller.

Fat distribution around the body is something you have no control over. The only way you can reduce love handles is to reduce overall body fat. Which you can accomplish in many ways, as outlined in the OP.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I have run into a little bit of spare time and now I have more time to be at the gym, about 20 or 30 minutes more if I need it. I was wondering, if I do triceps and chest of my first day is it ok to do it again to increase strength on my last day?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    What do you mean by first day and last day?

You can do them twice in one week, if that's what you're asking.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I just mean adding a few tri lifts, usually done on monday, to my thursday workout.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ugh, sorry about the giganto post.
    Ponge wrote: »
    It is kind of weird to talk about, but I suffer from epilepsy, and whenever I suffer a seizure, the next day it feels like I have had the most intense workout of my life. Seriously, I can only imagine what my body is doing, and I have no doubt it's not good for me, but I am exhausted for days. I can imagine what you're talking about with the 'electric shock' effect. It fucking hurts.

That is one that I didn't think of, and you're pretty much bang on, as I understand it.

It's actually possible for certain muscles to exert enough force to break bones if they violently contract at the same time as other muscles.
    Lail wrote: »
    After reading that article...I can only assume the next step in supplements will be something that blocks our motor neurons. Monkey Mass 2000x!

Well, not really. You need a motor neuron to activate for muscle fibres to flex. If you block the motor neurons, you essentially become paralysed. If you managed to alter an embryo's growth so that a single motor neuron activated more muscle, sure. But the downside is that you then start to lose fine motor control. It's the difference between filling a 2 litre bucket with either a one litre bucket or a four litre bucket. One way, you have to use the bucket twice, the other way you're liable to make a mess.
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm noting that alot of the strength/muscle-building exercises are requiring significant weights of some kind or another. For a person whose sole access to weights consists of 2 3-pound hand weights, are there any other kind of exercises that would act as muscle-building? Or would it be simply pushups and situps?

Big compound lifts require bigger weights because you have more muscles activating and assisting in the movement. There are also two (or arguably three) points to muscle building; size, strength and endurance. They're all somewhat linked, but each can be focused on to the detriment of the others.

Bodyweight exercises go beyond pushups and situps. Rope climbs, pullups, (hanging, lying) leg lifts, etc. Look on youtube for bodyweight exercises. Crossfit have a few workouts that are bodyweight focused, from memory.

Why? Not to be unkind, but what do you think happens when you build up more muscle underneath fat? You end up looking fatter. Visible muscle is purely a function of bodyfat. Lose it, and you'll see your abs, obliques and misc small muscles.

If you want to build strength and flexibility in those areas, planks, side planks, bicycle crunches.
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I just mean adding a few tri lifts, usually done on monday, to my thursday workout.

As long as you rest that bodypart during the week and are eating well, having three days between lifts is not necessarily a bad thing. If you are really pushing yourself, you will run into issues continually doing it.

For reference, and this isn't a super common thing, I have a three day split (three sets of exercises that have minimal overlap in terms of bodyparts targeted) that I perform four days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday). So a normal week will look like A, B, C, A. The next week would look like B, C, A, B.

So my rest time for a particular bodypart can vary between Monday -> Friday (four days). Or it could be Tuesday -> Monday (six days).

The prevailing wisdom is that every six to eight weeks I will need to take either a rest week or deload my weights for that week, and I've pretty much had to if I'm increasing reps or weight every time I go into the gym.

devoir on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I've been doing 30 mins to an hour of cardio just about every day when I can, for almost a year now. I've lost 30 pounds in total and I've reached a good spot in regards to my weight, which I'd like to maintain--and have been maintaining for the past few months.

The best part is that I feel greeeeeeeeat; this is the fittest I have ever been. It baffles me when I can now run for quite a distance without having to stop/break down panting.

I've also made changes to my diet, cutting out junk food and fast food almost entirely (though I do still treat myself occasionally, when I feel like it), and making sure I get plenty of protein. Educating myself on proper food consumption through this thread and other places has been utterly wonderful--so, thank you guys. :D

Working with weights has also been tons of fun. I've gone a long way with toning my arms, and I can now feel that muscle in front of the armpit that connects arm to chest (pecs?), which has really developed (woo, perkier breasts). I've also noticed this week that I have dents on my abdomen-- the good kind on either side of the navel. Did not expect that.

My current goal is still in regards to doing pushups, because the regular ones still confound me. Another goal would be to help two friends of mine with their own workouts. One shirks the gym on a regular basis and makes some reeeeeeally unhealthy food choices; the other refuses to try weightlifting and is resigned to looking "terrible." I've been terribly surprised with how prevalent body image issues are for women, and I'm increasingly thankful I've never been afflicted with it, even during my unhealthy years.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Probably should have asked this before summer started.

Do Slurpees, despite being awesome, violate the No Soda rule?

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2009
    what do you think?

Tube on
  • Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    what do you think?

I'm going to go with yes.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    what do you think?

An average 16oz Slurpee has over 200 calories and 52g of sugar.

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    edited August 2009
    what do you think?

An average 16oz Slurpee has over 200 calories and 52g of sugar.

It's fine, run it off.
    No, I'm not serious.

devoir on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've actually never had a slurpee. Perhaps it is a good thing.

Pizza Pizza is running a $20 dollar deal this weekend -- pizza any size with three toppings, plus dipping sauce, plus ten wings and four cans of pop. I was tempted, but the wings will kill me, I don't drink pop anymore, and if there's creamy garlic dipping sauce I would so use all of it. So... I decided against ordering. :P The money could go to better purposes, anyway.

I'm still trying to think of a healthier option for group events. Quiznos?

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Lean meat BBQ and salad.

devoir on
  • Options
    Free HotelFree Hotel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Slow cooker question:

So I just picked up a slow cooker. Would this be a good chili recipe? I know it's pretty plain but I don't want to get too experimental too early.

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can red kidney beans
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    Some mushrooms
    Chili seasoning mix

Anything else I need to toss in there? Water? And if I want to add some tabasco/sriracha, should I do it before or after cooking?

Also, like 8 hours on low. Does that sound about right?

Free Hotel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm not an expert on slow cooking, but I've been doing some reading. You're probably going to want enough water to cover the ingredients.

I don't imagine the application of tabasco/sriracha is going to really matter before or after.

devoir on
  • Options
    XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To me, that doesn't seem like nearly enough beans for that amount of meat, but I'm no expert. I suppose you didn't specify the size of the can of beans, but I'm picturing a soup-can sized container.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just started jogging a few weeks ago, and I'm thinking about buying a pedometer to measure my progress. Are there any good ones to look out for?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Free Hotel wrote: »
    Slow cooker question:

So I just picked up a slow cooker. Would this be a good chili recipe? I know it's pretty plain but I don't want to get too experimental too early.

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can red kidney beans
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    Some mushrooms
    Chili seasoning mix

Anything else I need to toss in there? Water? And if I want to add some tabasco/sriracha, should I do it before or after cooking?

I usually use two cans of tomatoes, one diced, one crushed. Plus two cans of beans.

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just started jogging a few weeks ago, and I'm thinking about buying a pedometer to measure my progress. Are there any good ones to look out for?

It can be significantly easier to plot out the route using a google maps-style web utility. I can't remember URLs off the top of my head, but they'll also allow you to log your times and distances over your jogging career.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    devoir wrote: »

It can be significantly easier to plot out the route using a google maps-style web utility. I can't remember URLs off the top of my head, but they'll also allow you to log your times and distances over your jogging career.

That does sound good. I'll see if I can find what you're talking about.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    devoir wrote: »

That does sound good. I'll see if I can find what you're talking about.

I've used mapmyrun before. It's pretty handy

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks, that does look helpful.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, that was one of the three I was thinking of. Hooray for TheRealBadger. =)

devoir on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Another good one is http://www.runningmap.com

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    TheBoginatorTheBoginator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Free Hotel wrote: »
    Slow cooker question:

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can red kidney beans
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    Some mushrooms
    Chili seasoning mix

I have no idea about the time, because I always make my chili on the stove, but I do have some suggestions.
    For starters, try using a beef roast, cubed into <1 inch cubes that you brown in a pan. Obviously you should trim as much of the fat as you can.
    Try using some dried chilies that you cut up or grind in a coffee grinder instead of just tabasco. If you do use tabasco, toss some in at the start, and toss more in as it cooks to taste.
    You might want more beans/tomatoes for that amount of meat, choose whichever you'd rather have more depending on what you're going for.

TheBoginator on
    TheBoginator.gif
    Robman wrote: »
    No you don't. It's mass effect brah, just grab your controller in one hand and your dick with the other and go to town
  • Options
    FarthingFarthing Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hello Fitness Thread, I'm after some Help/Advice.

I have a couple of addy-weighty dumbells in my room, but no bench, nor a bar. I have plenty of weight for my weedy self, which I can add on and off the dumbells.

So my question is, what are some good excercises that I can do, on the days when I can't get to the gym?

Edited for grammer.

Farthing on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Farthing wrote: »
    Hello fitness thread, I'm after some Help/Advice.

I have a couple of addy-weighty dumbells in my room, but no bench, nor a bar. I have plenty of weight for my weedy self, which i can add on and off the dumbells.

so my question is, what are some good excercises that I can do, on the days when i can't get to the gym?
    What are your goals and are you following any sort of plan now? Pretty much you only want to go to the gym unless you have everything to do all the lifts in your room, if you have an off day there is no need to work out in your room. You do not have to work out every single day.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, hadn't got quite so far as 'goals', I am just coming off the football season, and decided that instead of spending my time kicking a ball I would spend my time lifting metal things.

So... I suppose, to look better?

I often am in my room with not much else to do, and some times I don't go to the gym, for whatever reason that isn't sickness (read: laziness). Are there excercises I could do, or would it just be unhelpful/actually bad for me?

Thanks.

EDIT: And no, no plan currently.

Farthing on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You aren't going to get anywhere unless you have a plan and go to the gym consistently.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Grr... Okay, I suppose tube's excercise reigime for faggots it is.

EDIT
    In other news, the link for pull-up in TERFF is not working properly, the bracket is outside the link.

if anyone actually cares.

Farthing on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Anyone wish to help me come up with a simple routine-y for the next 3-4 weeks?
    I did Tube's Fag plan all last semester and that was good, then summer came and I haven't had gym access because I was cheap and busy, but I have been doing some running and some bodyweight whatnot for the last 2 months, not super consistently.

Im going to hit the gym hard again in September, doing Starting Strength when I go back to school, but for the next 3 weeks I'm at home... we have access to a tiny fitness center, aka one small room with treadmills, bikes, rowing machine, resistance machines of various types, dumbells, cable crossover machine, and a bench press...

So: no squats, and I'm positive they won't allow deadlifts there, it's not a real gym, it's just a hotel fitness center

So anyone want to help me figure out a routine i can just do for the next 3 weeks to prepare for getting back into the gym for real?

edit: also, are hill sprints on pavement a bad idea

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
This discussion has been closed.