Options

THE GRANDEST MONU[CHAT] TO METALBOURNE'S EGO

• Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait.. you've gotten to be a better artist because you haven't drawn nude models?
    What a coincidence! Thats how I became a great chef. I never cook.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yah pretty much, no, take a life drawing class

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    fuck, I eat a lot of church's.

also a lot of dominoes and papa john's. i get half off at both. so i'm a hot wing-eating son of a bitch.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i get half off at both.

teach me your ways.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    working front desk at the hotel. they leave marketing here for us to hand out to customers and we get half off. I can get an order of hot wings and an order of cheesesticks for 10 bucks counting delivery fee, tax, and tip. ( a shitty tip, but a tip nonetheless!)

also, radar, you really do need to take a life drawing class. your stuff is way not at the level you think apparently think it is.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dammit, so not drawing people was the trick all along. What have I done?!

rts on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey, would anyone mind if I started up a new inspiration thread? I'm kind of in the mood for some inspiring.

Also, ouch.

Flay on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've actually never drawn a nude model. I'll be going to school in Fall 2010 though. I've actually tried to set up a figure drawing class here in al Asad, but the models have to be clothed according to "military regulation."

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck yeah, Dorohedoro has the best art:
    06.jpg

05.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    I've actually never drawn a nude model. I'll be going to school in Fall 2010 though. I've actually tried to set up a figure drawing class here in al Asad, but the models have to be clothed according to "military regulation."

Another victim of the controversial "don't ask, don't lifedraw" policy?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2009

So about this clothed then?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G36VaaEJi6I

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The fact that I hit play even though I knew what it was proves my heterosexuality, right?
    Right guys? Yeah, I think I'm right.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is what maximas does every day in iraq

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How much did you drool?

If it was less than 4 cubic centimeters, you've proven your heterosexuality.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If you drooled at all that automatically makes you gayer then me, I watched with a single eyebrow raised and a puckered face

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Heh, well they have to wear a shirt. They're being assholes about it, I sent the recreation center a flier to be printed and distributed--but they couldn't use it because I mentioned that I needed models on the flier. I had to give them a new one that just said "Figure Drawing Class, for details contact..."

I haven't gotten any emails.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That 'painting of god' thread; don't go in there.

e: k, it's gone. nvmd.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2009
    D-Robe wrote: »
    That 'painting of god' thread; don't go in there.

e: k, it's gone. nvmd.

jesus christ sometimes I hate being a mod, because if I see something like that I not only have to see it once, but I also have to go delete the 22 other identical posts he also made. :x

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    disable images :0

Projeck on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yeah i have images disabled right now, seemed like a good idea for the night

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I am going to be applying to a college as soon as I get back to Hawaii, I want to take the SAT or ACT as it would make me look that much better academically. Which one would be better? (I don't technically have to take either one but I'd like to)

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    both is good

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The fact that I hit play even though I knew what it was proves my heterosexuality, right?
    Right guys? Yeah, I think I'm right.

volleyballfinal.png

Charis on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait.. you've gotten to be a better artist because you haven't drawn nude models?
    What a coincidence! Thats how I became a great chef. I never cook.
    yah pretty much, no, take a life drawing class
    working front desk at the hotel. they leave marketing here for us to hand out to customers and we get half off. I can get an order of hot wings and an order of cheesesticks for 10 bucks counting delivery fee, tax, and tip. ( a shitty tip, but a tip nonetheless!)

also, radar, you really do need to take a life drawing class. your stuff is way not at the level you think apparently think it is.
    Dammit, so not drawing people was the trick all along. What have I done?!

Wow, guys, thanks. I'm signed up for a life drawing class next semester. I wasn't saying NEVER take one. Nor was I saying I am necessarily better at drawing figures. I was saying I'm better at art overall. Defining form and shape and understanding light. Get over yourselves.

And, Manovon, I think we should take a moment of self reflection before we insult other people's artwork, yeh?

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No offense buddy but you made a stupid comment and you paid for it. And you just made another one but I'll let it go this time...well...except for that.

rts on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GOOSE IS DEAD

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I still don't understand how not doing a certain kind of art makes you better at art overall.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I still don't understand how not doing a certain kind of art makes you better at art overall.

same way i don't understand how just because an artist seems to be pretty damn good, they don't need to have solid crits in their thread, if there are areas they clearly could improve upon.

c'est le AC!

beavotron on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey mods, help me find my Secret Santa entry from 08, I lost my original file.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Beavo...your website has striking similarities to my own <squinty eyes>. Though I must admit yours looks better.

rts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

The point was, I took a drawing class. And in most freshman drawing classes people do a few nude figure studies Usually four or so. I didn't. Instead, we focused more on still lives, color theory, form and composition. Because I learned about these things, I'm better at the fundamentals of art. Throwing people into human figure studies isn't the "end all". Yo ucould have the most refined technique for drawing a face in the world, but if you don't know how to present it, or how to properly apply color, it'll still look like crap when you try to show it to anyone.

So, basically, my point was, I was learning other things that I needed to in place of human figure studies, which I've personally done for a long time, but avoided still lives. Learning fundamental techniques improved my ability overall, because they're applicable to everything.

Which I figured people would infer, but I guess not.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No I think you miss the point entirely. The purpose of studying the figure isn't just to teach you how to draw people....it's to teach you how to draw period. The human figure just happens to be one of the most complex and dynamic things readily available to us. The idea is to learn to see what does and does not look right, what does and does not look good.

There are very very few aspects of any kind of representational or graphic art that are not touched on and improved by figure drawing. Four classes is totally meaningless anyways. I have drawn the figure probably a couple of thousand times and I can honestly say that it has affected every aspect of my life, let alone my artwork.

rts on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Beavo...your website has striking similarities to my own <squinty eyes>. Though I must admit yours looks better.

well it's looked that way for about... hmmm

i think about 5 years now, i just changed the background about a year ago?
    i call it "i don't like writing new code, so i am just going to keep using the same old stuff"

wait you have a website?
    can i see it or something?

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yes you may, as long as you agree not to look at any of the artwork which hasn't been changed in years...and years.

If you open your site and my site on separate tabs and then switch between them...its weird.

rts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No I think you miss the point entirely. The purpose of studying the figure isn't just to teach you how to draw people....it's to teach you how to draw period. The human figure just happens to be one of the most complex and dynamic things readily available to us. The idea is to learn to see what does and does not look right, what does and does not look good.

There are very very few aspects of any kind of representational or graphic art that are not touched on and improved by figure drawing. Four classes is totally meaningless anyways. I have drawn the figure probably a couple of thousand times and I can honestly say that it has affected every aspect of my life, let alone my artwork.

Yes, and I'm sure it has mine as well. And it is the most complex and dynamic thing we can draw, I agree. But I'm sorry, drawing the human figure doesn't teach you about perspective (at least, not in the same way as drawing a cityscape does), or landscapes, or how to draw metal or rocks or textures. So, frankly, it doesn't teach you everything, and focusing solely on the figure doesn't, as I said, become the "end all" of drawing.

And, by the way, in terms of "seeing", I understand the concept of "see what's there, and draw it", but it only applies to reference work. Which is much, much easier than being able to draw a realistic or hyperrealistic human figure or scene from your mind. Not that I can do that mind you, but just because you can reference a human well, doesn't mean you "know how to draw". I don't know if such a statement is even fair to anyone.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    same way i don't understand how just because an artist seems to be pretty damn good, they don't need to have solid crits in their thread, if there are areas they clearly could improve upon.

c'est le AC!

lol i know right?

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, when I run into someone who is a lot better than I am...I always have an opinion but I don't always have a critique because they are dealing with issues far in advance of my own. But just telling someone you like or dislike something isn't always helpful. But that doesn't mean it's always unhelpful either. It's a tough situation for everyone.

rts on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm with cakemikz on that. Just depends on how someone takes it. Style is also a barrier. If someone's going for a sylistic choice I don't understand or have any experience in I also hold my tongue.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's hard to critique someone that is clearly better than myself. The only time I try to is when I notice something repeatedly happening that is bringing down the work, if it's just one image and doesn't really affect it too much--I probably won't care enough to mention it just because I know it's a fluke. I dunno... probably not the most helpful attitude to have I suppose.

lol totp!!1

On a related note, I have a canker sore that is making the barrel of my rifle look delicious...

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
This discussion has been closed.