As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Glorified Demo, or a Hat

Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Games and Technology
Elite status rewards for Club Nintendo came out today/yesterday/sometime fairly recently. Gold members get a calendar that's good for one year. Platinum members get their choice of a single downloadable Punchout fight against Doc Louis (an exclusive downloadable minigame with no real collectors value and is essentially a demo for Punchout), or a Mario hat.
In Japan, they hand out stuff like SNES pad Wiimote accessories and Mario Galaxy soundtracks. Over here, a ten minute Punchout demonstration or a hat.
(I went with the hat.)

Sir Red of the Manti on

• Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009
    Becoming a Nintendo Gold or Platinum member is like winning the Special Olympics anyway.

Opium on
  • Options
    Bok ChoiBok Choi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wait, is it a Mario Hat, as in the hat Mario wears, or is it a hat with Mario on it?

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bok Choi wrote: »
    Wait, is it a Mario Hat, as in the hat Mario wears, or is it a hat with Mario on it?

The hat Mario wears. Red, white circle, red M inside it.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

It's one of these: mario-hat-plush.jpg

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    We have a topic here

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Bok ChoiBok Choi Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That is so worth it. Why would you complain about a free awesome mario hat?

Bok Choi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <ProfMoriarty> oh yeah. one time I PMed a picture of my penis to a forumer, and then I got a PM from Thanatos saying "nice girth"
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Because it is theoretically possible for them to have offered something better, supposedly. To receive free stuff is an insult!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Because it is theoretically possible for them to have offered something better, supposedly. To receive free stuff is an insult!

Handing out more expensive free stuff to a tiny island than the northern section of a giant continent, that's what irks me.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Handing out more expensive free stuff to a tiny island than the northern section of a giant continent, that's what irks me.

Yeah, why don't they give the "more expensive free stuff" to our "giant continent" rather than the "tiny island"

It just doesn't make sense.

Unless you, like, enjoy making money and keeping it. Or something.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009

Then why don't you move there?

Opium on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Yeah, why don't they give the "more expensive free stuff" to our "giant continent" rather than the "tiny island"

To be fair, good customer loyalty programs are important because it is much cheaper (i.e. more money to keep for yourself) to retain a repeat customer than gain a new one in terms of advertising etc.

(Thank you, Marketing 101 in college!)

Opium on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Well, their games do cost more.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Opium wrote: »

To be fair, good customer loyalty programs are important because it is much cheaper (i.e. more money to keep for yourself) to retain a repeat customer than gain a new one in terms of advertising etc.

Yes, but it doesn't follow that they should then spend more money on us because, I don't know what his justification for think this is, but I'm willing to take a stab at it, "We're American!"

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009

Yes, but it doesn't follow that they should then spend more money on us because, I don't know what his justification for think this is, but I'm willing to take a stab at it, "We're American!"
    Maybe not more, but surely at least the same, lest we get jealous and resentful and create bad word of mouth.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Maybe not more, but surely at least the same, lest we get jealous and resentful and create bad word of mouth.

Canadian, and I figure there's a cultural bias if one place gets better toys than another for the same effort. Also I really want one of those SNES pads, preferably without having to spend like $80+ for it.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2009

Canadian
    Are all Canadians atomatically immune to jealousy and resentment? Last time I heard very different.

Opium on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Canadian
    Are all Canadians atomatically immune to jealousy and resentment? Last time I heard very different.

Nothing like that, I just didn't want anyone mistaking my call for a rewards program to show some international equality for zealous patriotism.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Or -- and this is just a real out of the park guess -- you might just treat all of your customers the same? Just give all the fans in the club the same prize?

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yes, because all people from any demographic are the exact same and no one would/should/could have a different idea of what product they want regardless or cultural/geological differences.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Or -- and this is just a real out of the park guess -- you might just treat all of your customers the same? Just give all the fans in the club the same prize?

And what did Japan get on year one of Club Nintendo?

I do know that back in 2004, the Zelda bonus disc America and Europe were able to get quite easily cost Japan 500 Club Nintendo points. Sounds like the short end of the stick to me.

Why are we assuming that we will never have the same sort of options? Patience.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This looks to be a simple budgetary issue. The amount of people eligible for prizes in Japan is a lot less than those in America. The same amount of money for the Japanese and American programs would not likely go the same distance as far as actual prizes. If "treating all your customers the same" means burning a ton of extra money in one place to provide the same level of service as in another when giving away hats will do then it's not really reasonable to expect that from a company, even if you love them as dearly as people love Nintendo.

Trevor on