As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-Fight Debate: Bracket 13

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Langly wrote:
    One thing that's notable is that ability to turn himself invisible and incorporeal. Maybe when he's not incorporeal he can be hurt/ affected by the illusions?

We've gone over this already. Mastermind only projects illusions into the mind. They don't become real.

august on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    On top of that i'm pretty sure Ghost is incorporeal all the time.

Look, the dude is dead. Dead. What the hell is Mastermind going to do?

He is going to get shot to death, that's what.

Furu on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    One thing that's notable is that ability to turn himself invisible and incorporeal. Maybe when he's not incorporeal he can be hurt/ affected by the illusions?

We've gone over this already. Mastermind only projects illusions into the mind. They don't become real.

I mean, affected as in "the illusions work". Not that they hurt him.

Langly on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    In JLU, I think it was shown that Thanagarian Nth Metal weaponry was effective against supernatural threats.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Langly wrote:
    august wrote:
    Langly wrote:

There isn't really any evidence that Masterminds powers could work on dead people. That I know of. It's a fine line, I know, but hey.

august on
  • Options
    SnoogySnoogy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Furu wrote:
    On top of that i'm pretty sure Ghost is incorporeal all the time.

Look, the dude is dead. Dead. What the hell is Mastermind going to do?

He is going to get shot to death, that's what.

I'm still all for the awkward seduction try. Maybe he creeps the Ghost out so bad that he just quits?

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    In JLU, I think it was shown that Thanagarian Nth Metal weaponry was effective against supernatural threats.

Oh well that's real handy. I bet that's real easy to get ahold of.

Damn, I see GG winning the whole tournament just cause no one can hurt him.

Langly on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The fact is that Mastermind has no offensive power at all. Even if his powers work on the Ghost, I doubt there's anything he could show him that was worse than dying.

Ghost on the other hand has two perfectly fine guns he can plug Mindy full of holes with.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Well, if MM can lock him down so he is just swinging at air forever I think that has to be a KO.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    august wrote:
    Langly wrote:

There isn't really any evidence that Masterminds powers could work on dead people. That I know of. It's a fine line, I know, but hey.

There is just as much evidence to say that they would. Gentleman Ghost is not some mindless zombie slumping along. He is a ghost, but he has a mind and a self awareness. I think it's fair to say that Mastermind could use his power on him.

Mastermind projects illusions into the mind, and Gentleman Ghost has a mind, even though he may not have a physical brain.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    august wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    august wrote:
    Langly wrote:

There is just as much evidence to say that they would. Gentleman Ghost is not some mindless zombie slumping along. He is a ghost, but he has a mind and a self awareness. I think it's fair to say that Mastermind could use his power on him.

Mastermind projects illusions into the mind, and Gentleman Ghost has a mind, even though he may not have a physical brain.

I know, I know. This is a somewhat circular argument.

Depending on the mythology "psychic" or "psionic" powers may or may not be part of the spiritual realm. Most of the mutants in the Marvel U that are psychic, are firmly in the science fiction realm of mutant biology. Professor X does not go around performing exorcisms, for example. This is why I find it doubtful that Mastermind could affect dead people by the rules of the universe he was created in.

august on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Goblin is so fucked
    Nope!

Look, Shiva can give Batman a run for his money. Batman could take Spider-Man out. Spidey has beaten Gobby (albeit barely sometimes) several times. Therefore, Shiva will beat Gobby. I mean, this is the sort of shit she's trained for

What?

No.

See.

Spider-man would beat Batman like, every time. Shiva hasn't got a chance because no matter what martial arts she has, Goblins got waaaay more to use against her than just "martial arts kick #429". He has "Superstrong punch that will cave your chest #2."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    august wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    august wrote:
    Langly wrote:

I know, I know. This is a somewhat circular argument.

Depending on the mythology "psychic" or "psionic" powers may or may not be part of the spiritual realm. Most of the mutants in the Marvel U that are psychic, are firmly in the science fiction realm of mutant biology. Professor X does not go around performing exorcisms, for example. This is why I find it doubtful that Mastermind could affect dead people by the rules of the universe he was created in.

To be fair, how many ghosts are there in the MU? I can't think of a one.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    If he can affect Ghost, then why not Ultron with his robot brain? He's self-aware and has a mind.

The way I see it anyway, if Ghost is put into the illusion of a threatening situation he'll go intangible and phase his way out of there until he's out of the range of MM's powers. Meanwhile, MM has to deal with an environment that's even worse than his illusions and real.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spider-man would beat Batman like, every time.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T

not that I really care either way but

OH SNAP NOW IT'S ON

august on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ugh. Goblin/Shiva is tearing me apart. They are both so awesome.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Shiva knows what Goblin does before he does. Since Goblin isn't a trained fighter, he also telegraphs his attacks.

Meanwhile, Spider-Man beats Goblin with Spider-Sense which essentially does what Shiva has trained herself to do (predict attacks before they happen).

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:

OH NO YOU DIDN'T

OH SNAP NOW IT'S ON

The next 20 odd posts:

Spider sence!
    Time to prepare!

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    august wrote:

OH NO YOU DIDN'T

OH SNAP NOW IT'S ON

The next 20 odd posts:

Spider sence!
    Time to prepare!

Yeah, I was about to ask: does Spider-Man have time to prepare?

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Shiva knows what Goblin does before he does. Since Goblin isn't a trained fighter, he also telegraphs his attacks.

Meanwhile, Spider-Man beats Goblin with Spider-Sense which essentially does what Shiva has trained herself to do (predict attacks before they happen).

Yeah but still: healing factor and super strength.

I think I'm going with Shiva stabbing him in the eyeball, but it's a close call.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

I think I'm going with Shiva stabbing him in the eyeball, but it's a close call.
    It's not a healing factor on par with Wolverine or of much use in a fight, and super-strength doesn't matter when you can't lay a hit. Goblin doesn't have any martial arts training. He'd never land a hit.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    Snoogy wrote:
    august wrote:

OH NO YOU DIDN'T

OH SNAP NOW IT'S ON

The next 20 odd posts:

Spider sence!
    Time to prepare!

Yes, but only if Batman gets that Sonar cowel that he pulls out some times.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    august wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

It's not a healing factor on par with Wolverine or of much use in a fight, and super-strength doesn't matter when you can't lay a hit. Goblin doesn't have any martial arts training. He'd never land a hit.

Yeah, I'll buy that.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    august wrote:
    Snoogy wrote:
    august wrote:

OH NO YOU DIDN'T

OH SNAP NOW IT'S ON

The next 20 odd posts:

Spider sence!
    Time to prepare!

Yes, but only if Batman gets that Sonar cowel that he pulls out some times.

Hey guys remember when Spider-man and Batman fought carnage and the joker together and they didn't like each other but eventually learned to respect one another? Good times.

Langly on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    august wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Except maybe with a bomb.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    august wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

She can dodge bullets, so she can dodge a bright orange PUMPKIN being lobbed by a man in phosphorescent tights flying around on a glider shaped like a bat that spews smoke.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    august wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Oh yeah. She can see a punch coming, but she can't see a BOMB coming. She can dodge bullets, but she can't dodge a bright orange PUMPKIN being lobbed by a man phosphorescent tights flying around on a glider shaped like a bat that spews smoke.

Norman does like to make full scale bombing runs though, chucking pumpkins everywhere. I know he only has 12, but that should be a big enough area that she can't really "dodge" it. It might give him all the opening he needs

Snoogy on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shiva has fought and killed powerful superhuman foes before. She would be able to handle Goblin.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    august wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Oh yeah. She can see a punch coming, but she can't see a BOMB coming. She can dodge bullets, but she can't dodge a bright orange PUMPKIN being lobbed by a man phosphorescent tights flying around on a glider shaped like a bat that spews smoke.

Norman does like to make full scale bombing runs though, chucking pumpkins everywhere. I know he only has 12, but that should be a big enough area that she can't really "dodge" it. It might give him all the opening he needs

She can see where he's going to throw before he throws by looking at the movement of his arms as he reaches into the pouch. She has plenty of time to dodge. Meanwhile, she can catch him with a knife to the face if he goes crazy throwing pumpkins at her.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    august wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Yeah, enough of an opening for Shiva to leap onto the Glider and break his neck.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Snoogy wrote:
    Man, I barely know anything about Lady Shiva and I still know Gobby is severely dead. Sure, he will turn out to be alive years later, negateing what was a truely classic scene, but no way does he walk off with this one.

I know, I know. I just like to keep the debate going.

Snoogy on
  • Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    august wrote:

Also, I don't think we really need to spoiler the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Sorry, didn't want to step on any toes.

Also, I'm not saying Mastermind could win this, someone just asked what he could do.

Gentleman Ghost's wiki says that he was defeated by a decendant of the Royal House of England and a virgin. I'm assuming Mastermind is neither of these, so he'll probably lose.

He may still be a virgin, dude's an ugly mofo.
    Mastermind has two daughters, right? So, not a virgin. I'd imagine illusion powers help with the ugliness.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    august wrote:

Also, I'm not saying Mastermind could win this, someone just asked what he could do.

Gentleman Ghost's wiki says that he was defeated by a decendant of the Royal House of England and a virgin. I'm assuming Mastermind is neither of these, so he'll probably lose.

Mastermind has two daughters, right? So, not a virgin. I'd imagine illusion powers help with the ugliness.

Wait, is that Lady Mastermind who just joined Rogue's team related?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Langly wrote:
    august wrote:

Or he could be really good in the sack.

Not like you'd be able to tell either way, short of having Leech watch.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Shiva won't be able to spider-sense dodge the glider when it comes back around and hits her in the spine.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    You'd be a pretty shitty fighter if you weren't aware enough to notice an attack coming from behind, or able to hear a Goblin Glider.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Yet time and time again it catches people offguard.

It's hard to dodge something moving extremely fast when you can't even see the damn thing.

Munkus Beaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

It's hard to dodge something moving extremely fast when you can't even see the damn thing.
    But easier when you expect it.

"I can't see Green Goblin. If he isn't in front of me then, EGADS, he'll come at me from behind!"

Lady Shiva's a much better fighter than Spider-Man and the sheer predictability of Green Goblin's attacks (I'll get her from behind is a pretty poor strategy.) will net her the win.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

"I can't see Green Goblin. If he isn't in front of me then, EGADS, he'll come at me from behind!"

Lady Shiva's a much better fighter than Spider-Man and the sheer predictability of Green Goblin's attacks (I'll get her from behind is a pretty poor strategy.) will net her the win.

No, you see, Goblin fights the person on the ground as the flyer continues to fly and hits the unsuspecting person in the back. This is how he died*. Spider-man used his spider-sense to jump out of the way at the last second and Gobbo got impaled on his own damn glider.

*Before it was retconned in the fuckin clone saga.

Munkus Beaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

No, you see, Goblin fights the person on the ground as the flyer continues to fly and hits the unsuspecting person in the back. This is how he died*. Spider-man used his spider-sense to jump out of the way at the last second and Gobbo got impaled on his own damn glider.

*Before it was retconned in the fuckin clone saga.

But see, if he's fighting her on the ground, I think it's "AH KNIFE IN MY EYE" before the glider even gets there.

Langly on