As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Japanimation] Mahjong: Putin, Papa Bush & Pope vs Hitler for fate of the world.

• Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Kelor wrote: »
    Slicer wrote: »
    Watching Linebarrels?

Do....do you hate yourself?

Yeah, to be honest there are better shows out there if you're looking for a fix from either of those two genres.

I vote we talk sports to kill the last ten pages. There has to be something decent I haven't seen yet. Top 5 and reasons. It's like midnight at the moment though so I'll do mine in the morning.
    Well, there's uh...

uh...

um...

Hrm.

I really don't pick up sports series. The only one I'm still reading is Eyeshield 21, which presumably you are already aware of because it is good.

I did try out Ginban Kaleidoscope for a little bit, but tbh it kind of sucks. I wonder if the manga is any good the same way E21's anime sucked, but I doubt it.

(Saki is technically built like a sports show but I don't think anyone needs to hear me rave about it yet again just quite yet.)

Watching Ginban Kaleidoscope is worth it for two reasons: hearing her say Pete Pumps and the American skater being a total bitch.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    Slicer wrote: »
    Watching Linebarrels?

Do....do you hate yourself?

Yeah, to be honest there are better shows out there if you're looking for a fix from either of those two genres.

I vote we talk sports to kill the last ten pages. There has to be something decent I haven't seen yet. Top 5 and reasons. It's like midnight at the moment though so I'll do mine in the morning.
    Well, there's uh...

uh...

um...

Hrm.

I really don't pick up sports series. The only one I'm still reading is Eyeshield 21, which presumably you are already aware of because it is good.

I did try out Ginban Kaleidoscope for a little bit, but tbh it kind of sucks. I wonder if the manga is any good the same way E21's anime sucked, but I doubt it.

(Saki is technically built like a sports show but I don't think anyone needs to hear me rave about it yet again just quite yet.)

Watching Ginban Kaleidoscope is worth it for two reasons: hearing her say Pete Pumps and the American skater being a total bitch.
    No, it was worth it for specifically one reason: Hearing Kawasumi Ayako curse.

After that novelty wore off, I dropped it. =X

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FMA: B 20
    Was hoping for more Hohenheim, but hey.. what're you gonna do. I'm also digging the way FMA: B deals with human transmutations. Since it doesn't create humunculi it seems a lot more.. plausible the way it works.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bamboo Blade was a nice watch. I sort of actually maybe learned stuff about the rules of Kendo.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    So I took a look at the transcripts of the Nanoha Sound Stages.

Damn... I mean... damn.

Let me put it this way, if the actual show itself had this level of fanservice in it... I would never have watched it.

It's really bad.

In my personal opinion, sorry Spectrum, it's OOC bad. I don't deny that events happen in them that are referenced later on in other media but relating to the characters... ugh.

This is why I disilke fanservice, not because I'm afraid of boobies like some crustaceans, but because I have yet to come across an instance of it that wasn't somehow contrived to appeal to more people in a baser, less meaningful way, as opposed to broadening the characters or tightening up the plot. It's smacks of the writers taking the easy way out.

But I still love the shows.
    Pffffffft, they're still canon. What specifically are you objecting to?

(You can't throw out anything from Sound Stage X, for one. You also definitely can't throw out Hayate's conversation with Rein in As.)

Hmmm, I wasn't very clear. What I actually meant was that the only parts I have a problem with are the parts that have fanservice. If it's on a scale of 1-10 the main show was about 4-6, which I can ignore. The sound stages are just fine... and then when it has a fanservicey bit it turns the dial up to 15. It's far too jarring. And there's no consistency with the characters when it comes to talking dirty, there should have been some sign in the main show of these deeply hidden desires, but there weren't.

It smacks of the pandering I mentioned, the only reason it's in there is to try and squeeze a out a few extra sales from the kind of otaku who watches shows with a bottle of lube within reach and normally wouldn't give it a second look.

Falx on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Uhh...you're going to have to give a specific cite or something, because I cannot for the LIFE of me remember anything nearly as bad as what you seem to be describing. Maybe it's a scale thing or something. I know Sound Stage X the best offhand and I can't think of anything bad in there.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I guess we just have very different ideas on what constitutes over the top fanservice then, because it's hard for me to pick just one, I've only really looked at the A's one, but really if it's a fanservice scene in there, it's over the top and out of character for the characters' established personalities to me.

The normal bits were nice and touching though, and Vita calling Signum a boob demon was hilarious.

Falx on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The normal bits were nice and touching though, and Vita calling Signum a boob demon was hilarious.

The size of your heart is inversely proportional to the size of your chest!

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fools! The best sports manga moment is the baseball game in Dorohedoro!

Hilarious!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    For those of you who have the good taste to appreciate such a thing, Onani Master Kurosawa - after the juvenile (part 2) is now 100% translated.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Huh. The ED for Kuroshitsuji is apparently composed by Yuki Kajiura and sung by Kalafina, and wow, it's pretty good. Guess I shouldn't be surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAiIdEyNnAo

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heh, I saw the "Then and Now - A discussion on kids being raised" thread and immediately thought of Now and Then, Here and There.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bleh D.Gray Man is gonna run in Jump Square now.

Lep on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lep wrote: »

What.

Stopped reading it for a while, and I take a peek at the newest chapter.
    c8e9d8f6.jpg

Zandracon on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For those of you who have the good taste to appreciate such a thing, Onani Master Kurosawa - after the juvenile (part 2) is now 100% translated.

A quaint little ending. Sugawa <3

Joule on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heh, I saw the "Then and Now - A discussion on kids being raised" and immediately thought of Now and Then, Here and There.

Both put forward pretty great arguments for the efficacy of corporal punishment.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Joule wrote: »

A quaint little ending. Sugawa <3
    She seems a little more physically abusive than the usual tsundere, doesn't she? :lol:

(But he likes it. :winky:)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, how long have I been in Falx's sig? I am not happy about this.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zandracon wrote: »
    Lep wrote: »

What.

Stopped reading it for a while, and I take a peek at the newest chapter.
    c8e9d8f6.jpg

Well, considering how the creator went on a few hiatuses, a monthly release might be for the best.

Certainly a lot less stressful at any rate.

Slicer on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Was hoping for more Hohenheim, but hey.. what're you gonna do. I'm also digging the way FMA: B deals with human transmutations. Since it doesn't create humunculi it seems a lot more.. plausible the way it works.
    Have you not read the far superior manga before? o_O

Hell I wasn't a big fan of the original series because it strayed too far from the manga. Thats why I'm loving brotherhood because it's pretty close to the manga.

Speaking of the manga, FMA 98 impressions -
    A bit less exciting than I was hoping for, but not too bad. Would have loved to see more fighting between greed and wrath but whatever. The last page though...

What the Fuck? I don't even know what to think of that.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    Nozaki, you bitch. <3

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

Hell I wasn't a big fan of the original series because it strayed too far from the manga. Thats why I'm loving brotherhood because it's pretty close to the manga.

A bit less exciting than I was hoping for, but not too bad. Would have loved to see more fighting between greed and wrath but whatever. The last page though...

I don't read manga. My wife would never be pleased to see me spend money on that kind of stuff. Anime is a guilty pleasure from my bachelor days that I've kept because in return I watch E! and Style with her.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

I don't read manga. My wife would never be pleased to see me spend money on that kind of stuff. Anime is a guilty pleasure from my bachelor days that I've kept because in return I watch E! and Style with her.

Then you have mastered the way of sleeping while eyes open. Teach me O'wise one.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    SayokoSayoko Registered User new member
    edited August 2009

Nice, thanks for the reminder :whistle:

Sayoko on
    sayoko-ban4.gif
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heh, I saw the "Then and Now - A discussion on kids being raised" thread and immediately thought of Now and Then, Here and There.

I've had that show explained to me thus:
    Here's a bunch of kids. You will quickly come to love them. This is only so we can do horrible things to them later.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes, it's rather tragic.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Wait, how long have I been in Falx's sig? I am not happy about this.

Pretty much from the moment you said it.

Don't worry, I'm sure sooner or later someone else will say something that will distract me :P

Falx on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy Shit, who would have ever thought the Rave Master Dub would see the light of day again?

I guess this is why the thread was talking about it a week or two ago!

All I remember about Rave Master is nudity and that it could be kinda funny.

Like a poor man's Zatch Bell.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Got around to watching my copy of Whisper of the Heart. Life is good again.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh hey new ZSZS subs are out. We finally get another new character introduced in this episode (Oora Kanako, a girl who is accepting of everyone else's behavior and ideals to a fault). Overall a great episode, measles in the first part (better to get exposed to something young then discover it as an adult and be consumed by it then) and smoothing out the points in the second (Zetsubou-sensei enters into relationships with all the women he can for WORLD PEACE).

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    hey so you might have noticed this thing in the post reply block and even in the quick reply... it's called a spoiler button.

Falx on
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey so you might have noticed this thing in the post reply block and even in the quick reply... it's called a spoiler button.

What I did was the rough equivalent of saying "so in this episode of I Love Lucy she gets a trophy stuck on her head".

If I had posted actual spoilers it would be like
    Chiri having the wall of medieval weaponry behind the chalkboard and torturing Nozomu's nephew into not touching breasts was hilarious. Most over the top bloodshed ending to an episode part in a while, and new girl is really freaky with how unphased by it all she is. Embarrassed Harumi in the last part was extremely cute. Also something I noticed a bit before but never really picked up on is how Harumi will read her yaoi manga even during class, I envy whoever sits behind her.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    There really isn't a difference between those two, you put plot points in the first and you put other plot points in the second. Both need spoilers.

Falx on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Stop it, stopt it! Can't you see this spoiler nonsense is tearing us apart. Think of the children![/Drama]

In other news, Akagi is fucking awesome
    The dice are GOOOOONNNNNNNE!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Code Geass R2 part 1 comes out on DVD today. I ordered mine...

I'm the last f'ing person to see this who is going to see it, aren't I?

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Probably.
    Yes.
    You should have watched it with everyone else. It made the season even more enjoyable.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Probably.
    Yes.
    You should have watched it with everyone else. It made the season even more enjoyable.

Eh. I wasn't really in this forum until a few months ago. And after I escaped^W^W^W graduated and started making $realWorld, I felt like I should start obtaining my anime the legit way.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy Shit, who would have ever thought the Rave Master Dub would see the light of day again?

I guess this is why the thread was talking about it a week or two ago!

All I remember about Rave Master is nudity and that it could be kinda funny.

Like a poor man's Zatch Bell.

There were only two things I picked up from the Rave Master dub that aired on Toonami:

1) That theme song is hilariously fantastic.

2) Toppa blaster chick has some rude titties.

That was pretty much it.

I checked out the final manga chapter of the series, and man, what a cornball ending!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Probably.
    Yes.

Eh. I wasn't really in this forum until a few months ago. And after I escaped^W^W^W graduated and started making $realWorld, I felt like I should start obtaining my anime the legit way.
    You can, you know, do both at the same time.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Eh, nothing wrong with being behind on stuff anyhow. Keeping up with shows week by week can be a chore and it helps in filtering out the overall quality of a show.

Slicer on
This discussion has been closed.