As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Japanimation] Mahjong: Putin, Papa Bush & Pope vs Hitler for fate of the world.

• Options
    bisondollarsbisondollars Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    rest of the berserk stuff
    1250217143557.jpg
    1250217181002.jpg
    1250217060961.jpg

bisondollars on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it me or does it look a bit CG-y?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Berserk stuff, manga spoilers:
    Whelp, we can at least place it a bit timewise.

That's obviously Puck, Caska's in her post-trauma mode, and Zodd has two horns.

Since it's an OVA/movie, I'm going to guess that it doesn't include the Golden Years stuff

Jragghen on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I decided to face the problem Mr. Despair had with subtitles and watch anyway, and it's only getting worse as this episode progresses. I barely know what they're talking about.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is it me or do those berserk screens look like they're from the first few chapters of the manga? So this could perhaps be a direct continuation of the series if it's from the scene I think it is.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »

Since it's an OVA/movie, I'm going to guess that it doesn't include the Golden Years stuff
    That Zodd image seems to be a shot from the first encounter, right after he warns Guts of being friends with Griffith. So, uh, that'd be the Golden Years. The other images could be anytime after the Eclipse. So overall, not especially defined in time.

@ Chen - I'm pretty sure Studio 4C is pretty well known for their use of digital techniques. The Zodd image looks distinctly modeled, but that might just be the lighting.

metaghost on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Lep wrote: »
    Whats Gundam Unicorn about anyway? I know nothing about it besides the fact that its set 3 years after Char's Counterattack.

Well, to start things off, the name "Unicorn" is a trick. They'll reveal in the first episode that it's actually "Gundam Unicron."

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    metaghost wrote: »

That Zodd image seems to be a shot from the first encounter, right after he warns Guts of being friends with Griffith. So, uh, that'd be the Golden Years. The other images could be anytime after the Eclipse. So overall, not especially defined in time.

@ Chen - I'm pretty sure Studio 4C is pretty well known for their use of digital techniques. The Zodd image looks distinctly modeled, but that might just be the lighting.
    I meant specifically that we know there's some post-eclipse stuff

Jragghen on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I decided to face the problem Mr. Despair had with subtitles and watch anyway, and it's only getting worse as this episode progresses. I barely know what they're talking about.

Technically, Shaft (usually) translates it as "Goodbye Despair Teacher."

So, nobody's a winner here.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

I usually call it "Farewell, Mr. Despair" in the very rare occasion that I need to type it out in English. I almost always simply refer it as SZS, though with this season I can't use ZSZS to refer to Zoku anymore since it's ambiguous ;_;

I've never had trouble following the series though I don't always get all of the references (the episode with the alien/mecha invasion had quite a few that went right over my head). I know a certain user who is banned from this thread that would were it not for the fact that he thinks SZS is exactly the same kind of series as Lucky Star.

He also thought "tsundere" was used to refer to competent "action women" in anime :rotate:

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Whats Gundam Unicorn about anyway? I know nothing about it besides the fact that its set 3 years after Char's Counterattack.

Well, to start things off, the name "Unicorn" is a trick. They'll reveal in the first episode that it's actually "Gundam Unicron."

I was going to make a similar joke but found it was either unfunny or too long winded.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

I usually call it "Farewell, Mr. Despair" in the very rare occasion that I need to type it out in English. I almost always simply refer it as SZS, though with this season I can't use ZSZS to refer to Zoku anymore since it's ambiguous ;_;

I've never had trouble following the series though I don't always get all of the references (the episode with the alien/mecha invasion had quite a few that went right over my head). I know a certain user who is banned from this thread that would were it not for the fact that he thinks SZS is exactly the same kind of series as Lucky Star.

He also thought "tsundere" was used to refer to competent "action women" in anime :rotate:

well to be fair i thought szs was slice-of-life as well before it was established that 95% of the cast was clinically insane

Rust on
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gurren Lagann ep 8 subbed went up on madman's site yesterday.

Really liked it. Tiffany Grant does a great Yoko. All those people who say she has only one claim to fame should go eat dirt, I say.

They altered a line in a weird way though. I'll spoiler it.

Gurren Lagann ep. 8 spoilers
    "Farewell friends." is changed to "Later buddy." Though I have no idea whether the former is the right translation of the line.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Isn't the Gurren Lagann dub old as hell?

That's what he said when I watched it.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

The gist of what I've heard is that it involves a secret from the beginning of the UC era.

And also the masked guy in the series is called Full Frontal and his identity is a mystery! I haven't checked out anything past that since said guy's identity has been revealed and, well, I don't want to run into any spoilers.

And while I'm at it, here's a pretty neat fan opening someone made a year or so ago using footage from the commercial for the books, art from the books, and some of his own animation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS1lR_9zVRc

Slicer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    Hahahahaha.

Oh, my. Umineko's censorship this week... priceless.

Edit:
    And we're finally getting places, but man, I kind of wish they had done the red text a little less obtrusively or weirdly.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The best thing about the fan-made Unicorn opening is the song. I Don't Wanna Cry is an awesome song.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    Gurren Lagann ep. 8 spoilers
    "Farewell friends." is changed to "Later buddy." Though I have no idea whether the former is the right translation of the line.
    I always liked "Farewell comrades." It seemed to fit his personality more.

Buddy kind of feels a bit lacking.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    CyborgZeta wrote: »
    The best thing about the fan-made Unicorn opening is the song. I Don't Wanna Cry is an awesome song.

I think it's from the same singer that did the two Gundam X openings.

Though after seeing the fan opening, you can't help but be disappointed that the real opening almost certainly won't use it!

Slicer on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hahahahaha.

Edit:
    And we're finally getting places, but man, I kind of wish they had done the red text a little less obtrusively or weirdly.

Is this anything like Higarushi? Is it good?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    No. You should watch Night Head Genesis instead.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    CyborgZeta wrote: »

I think it's from the same singer that did the two Gundam X openings.

Though after seeing the fan opening, you can't help but be disappointed that the real opening almost certainly won't use it!
    Yep, it's by Romantic Mode. And now that I've mentioned that, it's time for a shameless plug to my YouTube Channel, where I have uploaded several of their songs in case you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CyborgZeta

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

The gist of what I've heard is that it involves a secret from the beginning of the UC era.

And also the masked guy in the series is called Full Frontal and his identity is a mystery!

Thank you Japan, you have just filled you meme-generation quota for the 21st century, may god have mercy on your souls.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So new chapter of the NGE manga is out. Uuuuuuuuggh....

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hahahahaha.

Edit:

Is this anything like Higarushi? Is it good?

If you liked Higurashi? Sure.

Edit: Ugh, I forgot to do the last few episodes reactions of StrikerS. Will do that tonight.

Falx on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heatwave wrote: »

The original one? I thought that was done.

What's so uuuuuugh about it? I'll take anything that isn't just a retread of EoE.
    which is how it's looking so far, but maybe they'll do a last minute 180.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Heatwave wrote: »

The original one? I thought that was done.

What's so uuuuuugh about it? I'll take anything that isn't just a retread of EoE.
    which is how it's looking so far, but maybe they'll do a last minute 180.
    cute_msn_onions-07.gif

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    New Negima and OP are out.

On Negima:
    Haruna's deviousness just cracks me up sometimes.

She's so close to being a human version of Kamo that their schemes usually turn out to be either twice as hilarious or twice as disastrous.

Kelor on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought there was going to be a week break in Negima... or has it been a week already?

Falx on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    New Negima and OP are out.

On Negima:
    Haruna's deviousness just cracks me up sometimes.

She's so close to being a human version of Kamo that their schemes usually turn out to be either twice as hilarious or twice as disastrous.

Negima:
    PACTIO!!

I wonder how many ermine dollars Kamo has now.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    QQ... does Hajime Ippo: New Challenger just end on episode 26? I mean... I feel like they could've done so much more...

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    fmz65 wrote: »
    QQ... does Hajime Ippo: New Challenger just end on episode 26? I mean... I feel like they could've done so much more...

Though nothing has been officially confirmed, I've heard that one of the voice actors mentioned in his blog that he was starting work on another season a few months ago. No ETA or anything on it, though.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Argh... I must know if Ippo and Kumi end up together! Damn you HNI, damn you!

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Naruto question:
    When the hell did most of these guys ever show up in the manga outside of that one color spread?

04.jpg

03.jpg

Some of them are totally bizarre (especially the seven tails). The one tails and nine tails look relatively tame in comparison.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    fmz65 wrote: »
    Argh... I must know if Ippo and Kumi end up together! Damn you HNI, damn you!

I wouldn't be surprised if they're still not together even in the manga. It's pretty easy to write funny scenes wherein Ippo screws up or one of his friends messes ruins the moment!

Though I'd say it's a question of when they get together, not if.

Slicer on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey, like at some point the naruto anime stopped being filler. Things have happened, cool ass events should take place in the near future (and they will look awesome if the producers decide to spend money on them), the story meanders forward.

Neat. I'll have to start not watching it more closely.

Not really sure how true it is keeping to the manga, cause I read that so long ago I don't remember how long it was.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Naruto question:
    When the hell did most of these guys ever show up in the manga outside of that one color spread?

04.jpg

03.jpg

Some of them are totally bizarre (especially the seven tails). The one tails and nine tails look relatively tame in comparison.
    One tails shows up often.

Two tails was shown being chased down and taken out by Akatsuki.

Three tails didn't even have a host, so what the hell. Eight tails we saw and is awesome.

The rest, nah. Never showed 'em

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    redx wrote: »
    Hey, like at some point the naruto anime stopped being filler. Things have happened, cool ass events should take place in the near future (and they will look awesome if the producers decide to spend money on them), the story meanders forward.

Neat. I'll have to start not watching it more closely.

Not really sure how true it is keeping to the manga, cause I read that so long ago I don't remember how long it was.

I think the important question is, has Killer Bee shown up yet and if not, will he be showing up soon.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Naruto question:

04.jpg

03.jpg

One tails shows up often.

Two tails was shown being chased down and taken out by Akatsuki.

Three tails didn't even have a host, so what the hell. Eight tails we saw and is awesome.

The rest, nah. Never showed 'em
    8 tails hasn't appeared in the anime... right?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't think so.

I stopped watching during the last batch of filler.

Jragghen on
This discussion has been closed.