Options

Fallout Thread: As Paradise falls, so falls Paradise Falls.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not a modder, so ignore me if this is impossible, but why not make the stimpacks limited by time? Either they can't be used in combat situations at all, or they require the player to stand still for a while just like reloading a weapon. Either way, you can't go from near-death to full health instantly.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I suppose an item script for stims that gives them the same "you cannot do X, enemies are nearby" property that a buncha' other things have could sort of due the job, but as bad as being able to pump yourself up from near-death to perfect health by mashing a hotkey is not being able to heal at all in battle would be even worse and could very well defeat the entire purpose of having them in the game.

Something else that I've remembered that I'm rather peevish about: why is it that you can't really steal shit from traders anymore? Fallout has had a long and noble history of letting you be a cheap thieving prick by letting you swipe stuff from store shelves and proprietor pockets at the risk of point-blank-burst death. Not being able to swindle to your heart's content like in the good ol' days kinda puts a cramp in the lifestyles of the "evil and callous enough to do whatever they have to do to get what they want, but also smart enough to realize the follies of simply turning a shop owner to swiss cheese" crowd. And yes, I know that the answer is probably "in order to keep power-gamers and the like in line" and I don't care, it's better to keep available an option that has the potential to be completily abused than to close off said option and deny those people who might use it just right.

EDIT: And has Bannon in the rivet city market always been sort of dark-skinned with a 'stache? For some reason I've always seen him as being lighter and clean-cut. o_O

Sorenson on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Strikor wrote: »
    Isn't the entire point of XFO that you can easily disable modules you don't like?

There are a couple big ones that XFO kinda revolves around that throw things off. I don't recommend downloading it and activating everything.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    I suppose an item script for stims that gives them the same "you cannot do X, enemies are nearby" property that a buncha' other things have could sort of due the job, but as bad as being able to pump yourself up from near-death to perfect health by mashing a hotkey is not being able to heal at all in battle would be even worse and could very well defeat the entire purpose of having them in the game.

Something else that I've remembered that I'm rather peevish about: why is it that you can't really steal shit from traders anymore? Fallout has had a long and noble history of letting you be a cheap thieving prick by letting you swipe stuff from store shelves and proprietor pockets at the risk of point-blank-burst death. Not being able to swindle to your heart's content like in the good ol' days kinda puts a cramp in the lifestyles of the "evil and callous enough to do whatever they have to do to get what they want, but also smart enough to realize the follies of simply turning a shop owner to swiss cheese" crowd. And yes, I know that the answer is probably "in order to keep power-gamers and the like in line" and I don't care, it's better to keep available an option that has the potential to be completily abused than to close off said option and deny those people who might use it just right.

EDIT: And has Bannon in the rivet city market always been sort of dark-skinned with a 'stache? For some reason I've always seen him as being lighter and clean-cut. o_O

You can rob someone blind, if you sneak. It is a lot harder, and I wish it was more like the original, but it is still possible.

And yeah, Bannon has always been dark-skinned and mustachioed.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't mean yankin' stuff off the shelves and shit, since usually that stuff's crap barely worth the effort let alone the risk, I mean the actual goods that're sitting in the huge honkin' trunks usually sitting right behind the traders, the good stuff - all the trunks're locked and only open with drop-on-death keys, which is pretty god damn fucking lame for a game that prides itself on freeform playing, let alone its infamy for thieving and kleptomania.

EDIT: Pardon me, but what's the deal with your sig? Having it sit there the entire time I was writing this post's got me curious as to what's going on, and the best I can figure is that apparently the one girl (I guess?) is gettin' off on being strangled by the other, who's sick and tired of having to help her friend with their perculier taste.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't mean yankin' stuff off the shelves and shit, since usually that stuff's crap barely worth the effort let alone the risk, I mean the actual goods that're sitting in the huge honkin' trunks usually sitting right behind the traders, the good stuff - all the trunks're locked and only open with drop-on-death keys, which is pretty god damn fucking lame for a game that prides itself on freeform playing, let alone its infamy for thieving and kleptomania.

EDIT: Pardon me, but what's the deal with your sig? Having it sit there the entire time I was writing this post's got me curious as to what's going on, and the best I can figure is that apparently the one girl (I guess?) is gettin' off on being strangled by the other, who's sick and tired of having to help her friend with their perculier taste.

Oh yeah. I think you can pickpocket the keys, but I could be wrong. I do miss the kleptomaniac lifestyle, rolling into San Francisco and robbing everyone blind was always one of my favorite parts of Fallout 2.

As for the sig, honestly I have no idea. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is a weird show.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »

Oh yeah. I think you can pickpocket the keys, but I could be wrong. I do miss the kleptomaniac lifestyle, rolling into San Francisco and robbing everyone blind was always one of my favorite parts of Fallout 2.

As for the sig, honestly I have no idea. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is a weird show.

Sadly, for every vendor of some sort, they have a cooler or fridge or locker that contains their entire stock that cannot be picked, and the key only drops when they die. Impossible to pickpocket the keys from my experience (with full sneak etc)

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Although amazingly tedious, you could make a mod in the GECK that adds the relevant keys to every vendor's inventory.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's created a decent balance in my game. I tend to carry out around 20 stimpaks with me and 10 nuka colas (though, drinking nuka cola too often, particularly in the evening can keep you wired and prevent you from sleeping). There's always urinals or sinks to drink out of for health if you run low (although I believe XFO also has an option for some modifications to how dramatically radiation affects the player). XFO is pretty modular - you don't even need to take the sleeping, eating, or drinking mods from it. I don't find any of them debilitating and they provide an incentive to stockpile water and food - the sleep actually isn't much of a problem since Fellout has some dark nights so there's not much to do after 8pm...unless you've got Nightvision Goggles (and the downsides to not sleeping kick in after like 20 hours). It all works much better with a mod that changes the timescale to be a little longer (which XFO also has).

The 'full' version of Fellout is the last mod I've deleted from my current run.

Switched to the Scared of the Dark edition, not because I'm scared of the dark, but because at night the game becomes completely unplayable with normal Fellout, and because of it I had to cut short and epic super mutant killing spree down a long street in the middle of DC (can't remember which. I got there through the Irradiated Metro, I think).

I ambushed a Master and two apprentices, tried to snipe a brute down the street. Missed. And then had at least eight running several hundred yards towards me. Somehow survived, and went on to kill another half dozen - including a couple in the windows of buildings - before my screen went almost completely black.

Fucking lame.

Night ghouls are only scary when you're actually out on the wastes in he first place, not forced to be tucked up safe in bed.

And yes, I do still love Increased Spawns. Got my replacement ram today (been down to 2GB for the last week or so), so may hit up Increased Increased tonight.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Remember how we were talking earlier about how completely stupid the enemies AI was in combat?

Someone fixed it.

I tried it out. I watched as a trio of Outcasts properly took cover and used suppressing fire to cover the advance of their colleagues. I'm hugely impressed, I tell you what.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Incidentally, I apparently found my moral event horizon for my evil game.
    After selling children to slaves, killing (and often eating!) everyone with an iota of conscience unless it was too profitable to keep them alive (you got lucky, Reilly's rangers,) blowing up a city, burning down the last hope for the plant life in the area, and much, much more, I proceeded to systematically enslave, head-pop, and murder my way through Big Town's population. Except, amazingly, Bittercup. She's just so...trusting. I mean, I tried enslaving her like six times, but apparently she's unmezzable and I didn't have the guts to kill her and save the results. Ironically, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people didn't kill her, even in their good games.

I do. Every. Single. Time.
    Right up there with Simms for me.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Remember how we were talking earlier about how completely stupid the enemies AI was in combat?

Someone fixed it.

I tried it out. I watched as a trio of Outcasts properly took cover and used suppressing fire to cover the advance of their colleagues. I'm hugely impressed, I tell you what.

Downloaded and installed, will have to test it later.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Endomatic wrote: »
    After selling children to slaves, killing (and often eating!) everyone with an iota of conscience unless it was too profitable to keep them alive (you got lucky, Reilly's rangers,) blowing up a city, burning down the last hope for the plant life in the area, and much, much more, I proceeded to systematically enslave, head-pop, and murder my way through Big Town's population. Except, amazingly, Bittercup. She's just so...trusting. I mean, I tried enslaving her like six times, but apparently she's unmezzable and I didn't have the guts to kill her and save the results. Ironically, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people didn't kill her, even in their good games.

I couldn't kill bigtown even in my evil game. They're just so funny. Oh no, that's a dry well my friend.

Props to the dude for saving me time and caps trying to fuck the goth chick.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Robman wrote: »

I couldn't kill bigtown even in my evil game. They're just so funny. Oh no, that's a dry well my friend.

Props to the dude for saving me time and caps trying to fuck the goth chick.

"Well, I have to go now"
    "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!"

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Someone fixed it.

Is it wierd that I don't seem top have most of the problems he refers to?

I've never seen bullet-dodging, and enemies often miss me when shooting, and run away pretty frequently after I kill a bunch of their friends.

But it all seemed pretty harmless until
    Player can jump higher now, not uber jumping but a realistic jumping

What the hell? What's that got to do with anything? How is the default jump not realistic?

Have you tried jumping irl lately?

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Someone fixed it.

I've never seen bullet-dodging, and enemies often miss me when shooting, and run away pretty frequently after I kill a bunch of their friends.

What the hell? What's that got to do with anything? How is the default jump not realistic?

Have you tried jumping lately?

I think he's saying those were problems with earlier versions of the mod, not the base game.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ...Then what has he actually changed?

Looking through it in the editor now.

edit: Main things that I like and can make sense of so far include the increasing of the search radius, and the dramatic lowering of the chance an enemy will attack when under attack (which results in enemies going for cover more often - a system I barely realised was already in the game, because the default is 75%!)

edit2: He doesn't mess with creature combat styles (good), but a couple of people ones are untouched (maybe bad? they might not actually be used anywhere in game tbh)

Looking through the files also reveals that Scribe Yearling has her own unique combat style. Bizarre :P

edit3: Turns out 'Dodge%' is an actual thing, and the default is really high. Be interesting to see how going from 75 to 15% changes combat.

Also interested in how a minimum distance a fleeing enemy will search for cover being higher than the maximum works out.

edit4: I'm not sure how some of this is even supposed to work. For example, he introduces a new game setting called 'fCombatGrenadeBounceTimeMax' and sets its value at 2.0. But I can't see how or where the game would ever reference this new variable. It doesn't exist in the main game.

Will give it a go when I'm back on my other computer, but will probably strip it down to the components I can make sense of and use that, baring some miracle.

edit5: He's probably using variables utilised in previous uses of the engine, but not in Fallout. So the game would already know what to do with them. Possibly.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    fCombatGrenadeBounceTimeMax is used in that Real Frag Grenade Physics mod but, like you, I can't find an actual reference for it being used in Fallout3.esm. It looks like he also edited the dismemberment and limb explosion values for some reason. Before I started using FO3Edit this stuff would have driven me crazy.

Strikor on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was downstairs getting some food in the oven, and my roomie is playing the game again. I briefly saw something that mad me appreciate the game. He's running around with a sledgehammer in a school, killing raiders. He found one that was hiding from him.

"Kickass!" says the raider.
    VATS -> hammer swing -> one sliver of health left
    "Goddamn it!" says the raider.
    Without missing a beat, BOOM his head flies off from a hammer hit. Famous last words.

Henroid on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Really? I know my interest in Bittercup types is...above average (even though she doesn't remotely look like the game says she does,) but I liked Simms. What do you have against him?

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like Tenpenny Tower more than Megaton by a great deal so I always end up going that route anyway, and I might as well because it's fun!

Endomatic on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like Tenpenny Tower more than Megaton by a great deal so I always end up going that route anyway, and I might as well because it's fun!

I just now got to see Moira after you get your Tenpenny Tower suite. Amazing.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Have you tried jumping irl lately?
    Someone, either here or on Something Awful, summed it up more or less perfectly: you can download a mod called "Sky Naturalizer" and the notes will be the following:

*Changes the sky color and toning to be more natural
    *Makes Power Armor insanely powerful
    *Adds a rapid-firing infinate-ammo nuke launcher
    *Places power armor and rapid-firing nuke launcher in a box outside Vault 101

Sorenson on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I figured that the "Top 100" list at FO3Nexus would be neat to take a look at.

Guess what was #1.

Go on, guess.
    the nude mods have become fully animated

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Holy hell Increased Increased spawns is insane

Returning to the Outcast Outpost was a terrible idea. 36 dead, including Defender Morrill. Out of ammo. Behemoth and giant red thing blocking my escape and ability to fast travel.

Carrying so many hunting rifles

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love it when I have to keep repairing the stuff so I can keep on picking them up. End up selling 20 of them all repaired to my max lvl

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Antithesis wrote: »

Guess what was #1.

Go on, guess.

Really? That's sad. The times I've checked, it's always been good mods.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    OK to be fair, only 5 out of the top 25 are lolporn related. That's pretty good for an online RPG mod community.

Robman on
  • Options
    MonniMonni Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Has anyone here played Fallout Online? I didn't even know it existed, until 5 minutes ago.

Monni on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Monni wrote: »
    Has anyone here played Fallout Online? I didn't even know it existed, until 5 minutes ago.

Yes.

If you enjoy being killed by roving gangs of Russians, raking up Brahmin dung and selling it to NPCs who may or may not be bugged/dead/hostile, and being kill on sight to every player you lay eyes on, it might just be for you.

And that's when the servers are actually up.

Suriko on
  • Options
    MonniMonni Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Suriko wrote: »
    Monni wrote: »

Yes.

If you enjoy being killed by roving gangs of Russians, raking up Brahmin dung and selling it to NPCs who may or may not be bugged/dead/hostile, and being kill on sight to every player you lay eyes on, it might just be for you.

And that's when the servers are actually up.

Damn, why can't someone just add a simple co-op to the original fallouts. All that trouble just to end up with a ganking and grinding shitfest.

Monni on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Because that would be fun, and the apocalypse isn't supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be about getting fucked over in as many ways as is cosmically possible
    Robman wrote: »
    Antithesis wrote: »

Guess what was #1.

Go on, guess.

Really? That's sad. The times I've checked, it's always been good mods.
    Though technically it's only the top 25 for the last two weeks, though all the same it's shit like this that makes me want to put thinly-veiled jabs and insults at the people behind these mods in any of my own. Not helping the mix is that Nexus pussied out and went to an endorsement system instead of mumerical ratings - then again it's not like anything that wasn't a 10 or a 1 was ever used.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well that sucks, I go to play Fallout 3 and get hit with motion sickness from the blur of getting hit, is there a way to remove that?

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So my first game decided it wanted to keep crashing whenever it saved, so fine I started a new one.

Now, in the new game for some godamn reason, my Perception skill is fucked. Screenshot below, spoilered for huge.
    7SHF5.jpg

What the fuck? I dumped everything I had in my inventory, all I have is the Well Rested buff and it's still sitting my Perception at fucking 1 (-). Now my Lockpick skill is fucked, instead of 99 it's at 87.

What the fuck Fallout PC.

Oh and the awesome glitch that I get where the cursor while playing Fallout decides to start moving on the desktop, which leads to the Fallout window getting moved (even though I'm playing in fullscreen mode not Windowed) isn't linked to a dual screen setup. I disabled my second monitor completely and it still keeps fucking up.

Loathing on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are you going through withdrawl of something maybe? Do any of the drugs have that effect when you're addicted and/or going through withdrawl?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just ran over to that cranky asshole of a doctor in Megaton to check just that, but nope no drug addictions/withdraw. If there was on it should show up in the Buff's section shouldn't it? Or at least I hope it should.

I've only used Buffout/mentats maybe once or twice in my current game and I don't remember getting an addiction from them.

EDIT:

Just went and added a bunch of points into Perception through the cheat menu, bumping it three points to a full 10 and it still sit's at 1.

Loathing on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dumb question, but are you concussed?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Check your effects in the pipboy but yeah sounds like concussed.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I googled it and found mention of a 'Concussion bug' but no fixes for it.

Shot of the pip boy, again spoilered for size.
    RV1Hr.jpg

Ckiller and RoadW are buffs from armor I have on. Taking them off (as I said dumped everything I had in inventory) doesn't fix the bug.

Loathing on
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bahahaaaaa. I just found this. The Animated Prostitution mod on Nexus. VERY NSFW

Metallikat on