As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek XI????

CalvionCalvion Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Apparently its in the works. The premis is supposed to be pre TOS Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. Kind of showcasing their careers before they come together on the NCC 1701.

Initial Rumors are the J.J. Abrams (Lost) will produce and possibly direct. The potentially great/disasterous news is that the leading guys to play Kirk and Spock and Mat Damon and Ben Afleck.... Don't know what to think there.

They could do a good job, but it could turn out pretty awful as well. What do you guys think of this stuff?

Calvion on

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mat Damon and Ben Afleck? Sounds bs to me.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Old.

But seriously, I heard of this, I imagine, a year or so ago. There were one or two stories about it and that was it. Looks like it was either fake, or simply didn't pan out. But if you have recent news on it, cool.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    CalvionCalvion Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Greg says its so. And what Greg says, goes...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/preview/1809752800

Calvion on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The dude that plays Sylar on Heroes is trying to nab the Spock role.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06337/742543-237.stm
    Beyond that, he's wary of getting too caught up in the "Heroes" hype, recognizing it could set up expectations that would only lead to disappointment. But he does have one dream role in mind: To play a young Spock in the new "Star Trek" movie. Quinto certainly has the complexion and bearing to pull it off.

I'm all for this shit if Abrams can make an entertaining and engaging Trek flick. We've had nothing but Trek shit the last several years.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yep this can only be bad news. Like Star Trek wasnt in bad enough shape from Enterprise and all that.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    829khan.jpg

MikeMan on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    There is a Voyager marathon on right now, that my roommates are watching.

Voyager is so bad.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    This sounds like total BS to me. Also Damon is a badass and Affleck is at times palatable.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Also Damon is a badass and Affleck is at times palatable.

But as Kirk and Spock?

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Depends on who is who. Damon would be a good Kirk and a passable Spock. Besides it's not like any of the TOS actors were ever worth a shit.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'd assume it's Damon-Kirk, Affleck-Spock. The other way around makes no sense. But Affleck couldn't pull it off anyway.

Is this the "Star Trek reboot" we were talking about earlier?

Yar on
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited December 2006
    Affleck is not in the movie.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Affleck shouldn't be in any movie.

NexusSix on
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So Rick Berman is not involved in any way. He is the mastermind behind Star Trek Enterprise and the Temporal Cold War had the brilliant idea of having the series' finaly take place on TNG's Enterprise's holodeck. He's not involved in the movie. That's good.

It's not the reboot. For starters, the reboot was proposed by J. Michael Straczynski, not JJ Abrams. And Abrams already said he'd stay true to canon, so it can't be a reboot.

The rumours about Damon-Kirk and Affleck-Spock are just that, rumours. Damon and Affleck say they have not been contacted, and Shatner and Nimoy said they have not been asked to sign the right to recast their old roles.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Didn't Paramount perma-ban Berman from the franchise?

NexusSix on
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:
    It's not the reboot. For starters, the reboot was proposed by J. Michael Straczynski, not JJ Abrams. And Abrams already said he'd stay true to canon, so it can't be a reboot.

The reboot was also going to be a tv show. Not a movie.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    NexusSix wrote:
    Didn't Paramount perma-ban Berman from the franchise?

God I hope so. Perma-ban actually sounds nice, given that he's responsible for Enterprise. Whipping him into a bloody mess then pouring salt on the wouds sounds like a more appropriate punishment.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    LondonBridge on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Woah, what?!

The series finale of Enterprise... took place.. on the TNG Enterprise's holodeck?

Someone PM me the details, please?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Dead Guy PerezDead Guy Perez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    Woah, what?!

The series finale of Enterprise... took place.. on the TNG Enterprise's holodeck?

Full episode summary.

Dead Guy Perez on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My eyes hurt now.

Man, they'll get Riker and Troi to do anything, won't they?

Edit: And wow.. reading the continuity errors... =/

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    dirtynbldirtynbl Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    Woah, what?!

this kind of makes me want to fucking watch enterprise now for no reason other than to see how the hell this came about.

also, why the fuck can't we get a movie that involves say ds9 and voyager as well as TNG. I guess I could enjoy some Kirk stuff, but I'd like to see one last kickass movie with the current players. There's some fabulous books out there too that could easily become killer stories.

The whole idea of new actors in the Kirk spock roles just seems...ugg...

I guess I haven't really enjoyed much Trek since First Contact. I disliked Voyager for awhile, but I thought the finale proved badass.

dirtynbl on
    New Free EP - "Wii Wiish You A Merry Christmas"
    http://www.formerfatboys.com
    wiisaber2small.jpg
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I can see Affleck doing this for a paycheck.

But for Damon, it would be career suicide. And frankly, he's too good for this.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Part of me feels that Star Trek's story is not over... but it definitely needs some new management, or a reboot. I mean, hell, B5 was outdoing Star Trek 10 years ago, and BSG is just blowing it out of the water. But maybe that's my love for more character-driven drama speaking.

TBH, I just want to play a game where I can control the Prometheus or something.

Athenor on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If Damon and Affleck are Kirk and Spock, then Kevin Smith needs to direct and bring in Jason Lee to play McCoy.

THAT would be a movie worth watching. Probably for all the wrong reasons, but I know I'd still see it like six times in the theater.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    If Damon and Affleck are Kirk and Spock, then Kevin Smith needs to direct and bring in Jason Lee to play McCoy.

THAT would be a movie worth watching. Probably for all the wrong reasons, but I know I'd still see it like six times in the theater.

only if smitg plays scottie.

or as an injoke they should replace him with welshie

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I remember I stopped watching Enterprise when they had that "T'Pol catches the nympho virus" episode

Then everybody was talking about how good the Xindi stuff was

So I started watching that, and it was okay, nothing special

And then they go back in time and there are ALIEN NAZIS

And I said to hell with it

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    NexusSix wrote:
    He's fine in a kind of douchebad fratboy role, like in Chasing Amy. I wouldn't let him do anything else though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    NexusSix wrote:
    He's fine in a kind of douchebad fratboy role, like in Chasing Amy. I wouldn't let him do anything else though.
    Indeed. He was excellent as that sort of dude in Dazed and Confused.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've been watching TNG on G4 a lot lately and I have to say... Trek just has not been as good since.

They need to let it die for a while. Just leave Trek alone for like 5 years. Then do something new with all new people, from top to bottom all new people, but not a bunch of tards. People who are fans with respect for canon.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    I've been watching TNG on G4 a lot lately and I have to say... Trek just has not been as good since.

They need to let it die for a while. Just leave Trek alone for like 5 years. Then do something new with all new people, from top to bottom all new people, but not a bunch of tards. People who are fans with respect for canon.

Redded for lies. Fans with respect for canon are the central reason that most long-running franchises end up sucking.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I remember I stopped watching Enterprise when they had that "T'Pol catches the nympho virus" episode

To be fair, ENT wasn't the first time Star Trek had dealt with alien Nazis.

180px-Nazi_kirk.jpg
    Kirk in an SS uniform

TOS: Patterns of Force

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:

With Jason Mews & Kevin Smith as Chekov & Sulu???

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:

With Jason Mews & Kevin Smith as Chekov & Sulu???

You guys need to stop. Kevin Smith might actually read this, think it's a good idea, talk Harvey Weinstein into it, and then abandon it three weeks after the announcement.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    jclast wrote:

180px-Nazi_kirk.jpg
    Kirk in an SS uniform

Except that one made sense. Planet falling apart, needs efficient government, so the guy sets up the most efficient government in Earth history, but it goes horribly wrong.

Plus, it was a good episode.

The ENT Nazi episode didn't make sense, and it sucked donkey balls.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Dead Guy PerezDead Guy Perez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Seen much Deep Space Nine? I love TNG as much or more than the next guy, but for my money DS9 blows it out of the water in terms of quality. The writing is leagues better, which certainly wasn't hurt by the fact that the producers actually let people write character arcs that depended on knowledge of previous episodes. Paramount's insistence that each TNG episode be a TOS-style self-contained whole really kept the series from doing some great things.

Dead Guy Perez on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:
    jclast wrote:

180px-Nazi_kirk.jpg
    Kirk in an SS uniform

Except that one made sense. Planet falling apart, needs efficient government, so the guy sets up the most efficient government in Earth history, but it goes horribly wrong.

Plus, it was a good episode.

The ENT Nazi episode didn't make sense, and it sucked donkey balls.
    Hell, even Voyager managed to mix Nazis with the freaking holodeck and it worked better than that.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Hell, even Voyager managed to mix Nazis with the freaking holodeck and it worked better than that.
    Yeah, the only thing Enterprise was good for is making Voyager look good by comparison.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I hated Kate Mulgrew as a captain so much. Holy fuck did I hate her.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Seen much Deep Space Nine? I love TNG as much or more than the next guy, but for my money DS9 blows it out of the water in terms of quality. The writing is leagues better, which certainly wasn't hurt by the fact that the producers actually let people write character arcs that depended on knowledge of previous episodes. Paramount's insistence that each TNG episode be a TOS-style self-contained whole really kept the series from doing some great things.
    DS9 was great because the stewards of the franchise were finally allowed to get their hands dirty. The Federation was in a part of the galaxy where they were nobody wanted them, and they spent the entire series run consistently violating their own principles in order to maintain the status quo. Then the Dominion shows up, and all hell breaks lose. That series had terrorists, military dictatorships, religious fanatics, genocide, and the ugly side of Federation domestic politics.

That, and massive space battles with hundreds of ships on each side, with the good guys consistently getting their asses kicked. And the Defiant fucking rocked. Thrice the firepower of the Enterprise-D at 1/10th the size.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
This discussion has been closed.