Options

[DnD 4E] IC/OOC - Dungeon Delve - Surprise!

• Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You don't need to avoid the flame seed - zone is enemies only (why flameseed is so awesome).

I've been reading Broken Chains and really liked how everybody posted a compact spoiler of the current status during combat - made backtracking through the thread less necessary. What do you guys think? (I think the below is accurate - not sure about the action points, also, is anybody else still alive?

Dulran - HP 26/30 - AC 18; F 12, R 15, W 16 - AP 1 - Surge 3/8
    @H7 - Status: Normal.
    Tanir - HP 38/38 - AC 20; F 13, R 16, W 16 - AP 0 - Surge 5/8
    @D3 - Status: Normal.
    Eran - HP 28/33 - AC 19; F 15, R 16, W 14 - AP 1 - Surge 3/7
    @B2 - Status: Can not shift while at least 2 enemies are adjacent.
    Sonna - HP 33/41 - AC 20; F 14, R 15, W 14 - AP 0 - Surge 6/11
    @D1 - Status: Normal.
    ---
    :arrow:GC8 - HP 1/1 - AC 16; F 12, R 14, W 11
    @D0 - Status: Has Cover
    ---
    Tiriara - HP 31/31 - AC 18; F 14, R 16, W 13 - AP 1 - Surge 3/8
    @D1 - Status: Normal.
    ---
    BG - HP 16/94 AC 21; F 21, R 16, W 18
    @C2 - Status: OOE, Marked(Sonna), Bond of Pursuit

soxbox on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tiriara sees an opening in the hobgoblin's defenses as his friends fall, a gap in the whirl and tear of steel. She attempts to make use of it, but the arrows fly wild from her hands, ending up everywhere but the target.

Two-Fanged Strike on BG: Twin Strike vs AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 16 1d10+1 11 1d20+9 12 1d10+1 4 1d6 6
    Nothing, yay. My rolls are so terrible.

Next Up: Goblins
    On Deck: Dulran

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The goblin who didn't quite make his hop over the cauldron manages to haul himself out the pungent liquid, landing on the floor, creating a small pool of something that smells alcoholic. He takes a stab at Sonna, finding a space in her armor for the sword to go.

Grigbad shouts at the remaining goblin, "Goods! Hits her mores!" as he swings his flail at her. Unfortunately, his actions don't reflect his words, as the large flail finds only air, and then the ground. He then makes a small step to the side to get out from between Sonna and Eran.

GC8 Athletics 18, Success, moves to E0
    Attacks Sonna, 27 V. AC is a Crit! 5 damage

BG Attacks Sonna, 14 V. AC is a miss
    Shift to C1

Map
    34045161.png
    Dulran
    HP: 26/30 AC: 18 Fort: 12 Ref: 15 Will: 16 Surges: 3/8

Tanir
    HP: 38/38 AC: 20 Fort: 13 Ref: 16 Will: 16 Surges: 5/8

GC9
    HP: 0/1 AC: 16 Fortitude: 12 Reflex: 14 Will: 11

GC11

GC3

GC13

GC5

Eran
    HP: 28/33 AC: 19 Fort: 15 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 4/7 | Can not shift while at least 2 enemies are adjacent, Bloodied

Sonna
    HP: 28/41 AC: 20 Fort: 14 Ref: 15 Will: 14 Surges: 6/11

GC4

GC8
    HP: 1/1 AC: 16 Fortitude: 12 Reflex: 14 Will: 11

GC2

GC7

Tiriara
    HP: 31/31 AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 3/8

BG
    HP: 16/94 AC: 21(23) Fortitude: 21 Reflex: 16 Will: 18 | Gains +2 to AC while adjacent to at least 1 ally

GC1

GC6

GC12

GC10

UP NEXT: Dulran
    ON DECK: Tanir

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As a free action, due to Bond of Pursuit, I will shift to B1

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm not adding another map to show this, but it has happened!

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bahaha, excellent. Gimme that combat advantage! I needs it!

interrobang on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dulran shifts back to his elven form, pointing his new totem at the hobgoblin as he takes a step forward. A flash of lightning streaks out, striking the hobgoblin nearly dead and leaving a field of electricity that threatens to finish the job if he doesn't move away.

Minor: Wild Shape back to normal (shifting to G6 in the process).
    Standard: Storm Spike vs BG: 1d20+7 25 1d8+6 13 Hit! 13 lightning damage, and if BG doesn't move at least two squares on his next turn he will take an additional 5 lightning damage.

UP NEXT: Tanir
    ON DECK: Eran

Denada on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tanir spins rapidly, so quickly you can't even see his sword move. The hobgoblin looks puzzled before a geyser of blood erupts from its chest, the monster sinking to its knees and falling face-first, its eyes open in death.

Standard: Bond of Pursuit on BG: 1d20+11,1d20+11=24,21 Hit!, 13 damage and it's dead.

Up Next: Eran
    On Deck: Sonna

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Eran darts around the collapsed Hobgoblin, startling the one remaining goblin. With the advantage gained, he calls out to Sonna "Strike Now!", and the Swordmage's blade erupts through the side of the Goblin's head. Turning to Sonna, Eran clasps her on the shoulder, "Ahhh... victory! Doesn't that make you feel a whole lot better?", those words causing her pains to melt away.

Eran reaches to whip his sword on the goblin's clothes before realising that the blade is practically spotless and the blood-soaked corpse would do little to improve it. Sheathing his sword, he wanders casually over to retrieve his whip.

"I'll keep watch on the stairs - see if you can find anything of note here before we move on."

Move to E1
    Standard: Commander's Strike: Sonna vs GC8 (1d20+10=18) - Dead
    Minor: Inspiring word on Sonna: Gain 10+4+1d6 - Sonna is now full health.

Combat over, I go and retrieve my whip and move to the bottom of the stairs - no use me trying to look for anything - Perception (1d20=7)

Can you update the OP with sonna's orokos sheet: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1164, also with my mythweavers. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=157371

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Let's see what we have here," Dulran says, methodically searching the room as though he was searching for tracks in the forest.

Perception: 1d20+12 29 Dayum.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Congrats, that's for sure the fastest we have completed an encounter. OP updated. Everyone gains an action point, minus Eran. Sorry, but it requires 2 battles. :P

I'll have a update a little while later tonight, as I'm super tired.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Searching the room yields minimal results. The table where the goblins were playing cards has been incinerated, leaving nothing behind but ashes. The cauldron in the room seems to hold some sort of home-brewed goblin wine and it smells only slightly of common wine ingredients. The only item of significant interest in the room is a small note Grigbad had in his possession. It is poorly written, and seems to hold basic instructions for the hobgoblin.

Grigbads will warn if intrudahs comes in. Maddgutt demands its!

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "It seems that this Maddgutt was ill-advised to trust that one to sentry duty. Hopefully the sounds of battle did not travel as well as the sound of that warning gong would have." Eran casts his eye over the devastation that the party has left in its wake. "I'm sure that some sound traveled however, so I think we should press on before anybody thinks to investigate. If luck is on our side, we should be able to clear this keep before its occupants know what hit them."

Eran draws his longsword again and gestures up the stairs.

In a room containing a gong, when it doubt, rain fiery hell down on anybody standing ready to sound the alarm.

I guess we continue up the stairs - same formation as before, trying to be as discreet and observant as possible.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tanir nods. "I agree" he says, beginning to walk up the stairs.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tiriara follows the others up the narrow stairs, bow at the ready.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The stairs only take you one floor up into a room the same size as the one you were just in. The floor in the center of this room is a sagging ruin that looks dangerously unstable. To the west is a pile of broken stones and bones. In the southwest corner is a low wall covered in a faded tapestry. In the shadows of the southeast corner stands a wooden platform of recent construction; it is nearly 10 feet tall. The lighting in the room nearly obscures the top of the platform from view. Even those that can make out the top of the platform can only see the edge of the construction. North of the platform, a spiral staircase proceeds up to the next level. It looks as though the only to access the stair case would be from the large platform.

I have provided a map for ease of viewing, with labels! We are getting high tech in here.

If everyone would be so kind as to roll up some perception checks for me please.

Map
    22044743.png

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Perception: 1d20+5 20

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That was fast!

Tiriara

From the piles of bones and rocks you can make out 3 sets of flickering red lights that focus on you as you walk up the stairs. Looking at the top of the tower, you are able to barely notice the movement of shadows.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Perception: 1d20+12=31

Also, I have low-light vision, if that helps me see things in the dark better.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tiriara's response is quick and born of instinct. "Watch!" she cries, firing an arrow into the lights and ushering Sundamar on to leap to the top of the platform.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Perception: 1d20+12 24

and I get the feeling we might need this soon:

Initiative: 1d20+5 14

Denada on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Everyone can see the same things as Tiriara

As Tiriara's arrow flies to the top of the platform, you hear a voice cry out, "Waooooagg! Attack!" As the voice cries out you can now make out the shapes of 3 goblins up on the platform, and from the piles of bones in the corner three skeletons rise up, their bones creaking together.

Yes, Initiative would be excellent. Also, if you want Sundamar to jump climb the platform, I'll need a pretty good Athletics check.

Map of things you can see!
    2-1.png

Note: Just because it's the same token, doesn't necessarily mean its the same creature!

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tanir readies himself for anything.

Initiative: 1d20+7=13

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, it turns out that my sure-fire internet access isn't quite so sure-fire. I'm in Chicago until Tuesday without reliable internet, so if you guys want to take my turns for me, feel free. I apologize - I shoulda said something in advance.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Eran looks around, startled for a moment, wondering what is going on.

Initiative (1d20+5=10)

Perception: 1d20=5

A ten foot platform? If the athletics check is successful, how much movement is that to get up? What would the consequences of a failed climb be? Lose the movement of trying to climb? Lose the rest of movement? Fall Prone?

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Initiative: 1d20+5 19
    Sundamar's Athletics: 1d20+8 18
    Sundamar has a Strength of 14 and Athletics trained, for the record.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Failing the Athletics check is a fall prone. It would also require getting over to the platform. You can see GH from around the spiral staircase. The staircase starts at "ground floor", but the platform blocks access to it at that level. The platform is ~10 foot tall, and is a DC 20 Athletics to climb. The only way to access the platform currently is to go around the spiral stair. This was poorly explained, so if you want Sundamar to not climb it, I'm fine with retconning it Ari.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sure, thanks. Seven squares of movement in that case.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Something compels Eran to speak: "The floor in the center of this room is a sagging ruin that looks dangerously unstable.... I'm not sure how dangerously unstable though."

I'm guessing that's a dungeoneering check to know any more? Such a check would be a minor action now that we've rolled init right? Usefully, the skill that nobody has trained. Wis is my dump stat, so I wont bother, but if Tanir or Dulran has a free minor action at some point, that might be a good thing to think about before anybody runs through the middle of the room.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The skeletons seem to be faster than you would expect, and manage to get the jump on you. They move around the corner of the room, loosing arrows as they do. Two of the arrows miss their mark, but one manages to connect with Tiriara, grazing her arm.

S1 fires an arrow at Tiriara; 21 V. AC is a hit, 3 damage
    Moves to D0

S2 Moves to A0
    Fires an Arrow at Dulran; 13 V. AC is a miss

S3 Fires an Arrow at Tanir; 7 V. AC is a miss

Map
    2-2.png

A couple notes. If you succeed an Athletics check, you can climb the platform as if it were difficult terrain. A dungeoneering check would be appropriate for determining whats going on with the floor. Also, if you haven't rolled a perception check, please do so with you turn as a free action.

S1
    HP: 1/1 AC: 16 Fort: 14 Ref: 13 Will: 14

S2

S3

Tiriara
    HP: 28/31 AC: 18 Fort: 14 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 3/8

Dulran
    HP: 26/30 AC: 18 Fort: 12 Ref: 15 Will: 16 Surges: 3/8

Tanir
    HP: 38/38 AC: 20 Fort: 13 Ref: 16 Will: 16 Surges: 5/8

GS1
    HP: 31/31 AC: 16 Fort: 12 Ref: 14 Will: 11

GS2
    HP: 31/31 AC: 16 Fort: 12 Ref: 14 Will: 11

Eran
    HP: 28/33 AC: 19 Fort: 15 Ref: 16 Will: 13 Surges: 4/7

Sonna
    HP: 33/41 AC: 20 Fort: 14 Ref: 15 Will: 14 Surges: 6/11

GH
    HP: 46/46 AC: 17 Fort: 14 Ref: 15 Will: 16

UP NEXT: Tiriara
    ON DECK: Dulran

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Shouldn't Sundamar have moved already? And I'm guessing I don't have line of sight up to the top of the platform unless I climb it.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm not really sure where you wanted Sundamar to move to...

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So basically the platform can only be accessed by the spiral staircase, but the spiral staircase at our level is blocked by the supports to the platform, so we can't get up there except by climbing. Put him next to the platform in F5, I guess. The platform's wooden, right?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tiriara takes advantage of her viewpoint, putting arrows deep into one of the goblins on the platform.

Dungeoneering: 1d20+3 10, so Sundamar will stay where he is.
    Minor: Hunter's Quarry on GS1.
    Standard: Two-Fanged Strike on GS1: Two-Fanged Strike vs AC (ranged), two attacks: 1d20+9 28 1d10+5 6 1d20+9 27 1d10+5 9
    Hunter's Quarry: quarry: 1d6 1
    So 16 damage in total to GS1.

UP NEXT: Dulran
    ON DECK: Tanir

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Something i forgot to mention because I'm terrible, you can see a ladder in H3.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Would Acrobatics be at all appropriate to get up on the platform? Also, what effect does the ladder have?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Acrobatics isn't really applicable to climbing the side of a wooden structure, unfortunately. The ladder effectively negates climbing difficulties (no check, climb at regular speed.)

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I take it that the whole 4x4 in the middle of the room is the unstable-looking area - remember that you can make a jump as part of your move action - if you move 2 squares before the jump then you can jump (athletics check divided by 5) squares - otherwise it's divide by 10. Sonna and I have the athletics to cut across the center of the room diagonally (from B4 -> E1) if we want to get around the room as fast as possible. Tiriara and Dulran can cut one square off the corner (B3 -> D1) with no risk also.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    All of what you just posted is correct!

Also, apologizing in advance for this encounter. It is probably the worst one I've seen in the book thus far.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    "Dulran, Tiriara, concentrate on that platform. Tanir, Sonna and I will take down these undead abominations. And keep an eye for any surprises from that wall in the corner over there".

Sorry if I'm assuming knowledge that we're rolling perception for, but Eran's a tactician - he sees that wall, he's assuming it's not just decoration. To get over that wall - is that just a difficult terrain move? Sonna and I can just jump diagonally around it, but Tanir's going to need to figure out how he's getting past with no athletic ability.

Also, that goblin on top of the ladder - can we still climb to H4 with him there? Will that provoke an OA? Can we bullrush him directly from the ladder?

Oh, I added my perception check (5) to my earlier post - Not that I ever actually see anything anyway - not my job.

soxbox on