Options

[DnD 4E] IC/OOC - Dungeon Delve - Surprise!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tanir picks up the shining blade, examining it, and hands it to Sonna without a word.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eran looks down at his own battered sword as Sonna weighs up the two shining swords before her. "Don't suppose you could spare one of those for me?".

Eran then turns to the goblin beside him and pulls some rope from his backpack to start binding him up, his fingers moving swiftly with the knowledge of tying down hundreds of sails. "Ain't nowhere to keel-haul the blighter round here but...." he peers over the edge of the platform at the gaping hole in the floor... "I guess a little dangling might keep his tongue loose".

Securing his rope to the platform, Eran dangles the goblin head-first over the hole and shakes him awake. While the goblin is still working his way out of his daze, Eran bombards him with questions. "What are you doing in the tower? How many of you are there? Who is your leader? What's waiting for us up those stairs?".

Intimidate: 1d20+6 12
    Diplomacy: 1d20+6 11

Maybe Sonna wants to add some good-cop to my bad-cop since she's the only other socially trained person here.

Don't have AV or the CB handy - I take it the sunblade is of more use to Sonna than the defensive longsword? I'll take whatever's left.

soxbox on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sonna takes the sword with a smile, and as soon as her fingers wrap around the hilt the blade erupts with golden light. She flinches just slightly, startled by the suddenness of it, but after a moment's concentration she turns the sword "off", as it were, and holds it at her side. "Here," she says, pulling her weapon from its scabbard and holding it out to Eran hilt-first. After he's taken the sword, she replaces it with the one she's currently carrying.

She watches with a bemused expression as Eran binds the goblin and lets him hang over the chasm, frowning at the spectacle. "Don't drop him, don't drop him," she murmurs, stepping up and taking a hold of the rope. "Can you understand us? We don't want to hurt you, we just want to know what is up the stairs. Just answer our questions and we will let you go."

Diplomacy: 1d20+7 14

Not much better.

I took the Sunblade because I have a love affair with radiant damage, and the Defensive Longsword's ability probably benefits Eran better, considering his lower AC.

interrobang on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As Eran starts to tie up the goblin, he is resistant at first, proving somewhat difficult to keep a hold of. His shouts of, "Gorn will never tell you!" are frequent as the ropes grow tighter and tighter around his body. Slowly, his shouts of resistance slow, and then stop as he realizes Eran's plan. The goblin's eyes turn from courage to terror as the Eran starts to hold him over the hole. Eran's flurry of questions is drowned out by screams from a terrified Gorn. "Do not drop Gorn! Do not drop Gorn!" his shouts come. When Sonna comes up and takes the rope, Gorn seems more interested in repeating his plea's, though upon hearing her statement, he says, "Gorn will tell you whatever you want, just do not drop him!"

Assuming you do not drop him...
    Once the goblin is back on solid floor, he seems to calm down some. Eran and Sonna repeat their questions, and the goblin, happy to still be alive, obliges them.

"Maddgutt lead us here. Gorn does not know why, but we do not question him. Maddgutt has a throne at the top of the tower, and he sends us orders from there. His most trusted are with him."

If you want to ask Gorn any more questions, he will answer them the best he can.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tanir looks at the Goblin. "Is there anything with Maddgutt at the top of the tower? Any object he wanted very badly?"

Is that 4 or 5 encounters? I think 5?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "Gorn does not know. Gorn told you, Maddgutt does not tell us why we are here, but his command is final."

Thats 5. Also, I believe Eran gets an action point!

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "These 'most trusted'. Who are they? What are they? More goblins? Mages? Creatures?Are there any other dangers we must face at the top of the tower?"

Eran starts to strap Gorn down to the side of the platform, next to the ladder, leaving him a couple of feet from solid ground. "We intend to leave you here for now. If your information proves useful, we will grant you your freedom on our return."

soxbox on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tiriara pays little attention to the goings on, her natural instinct to put the wounded thing out of its misery.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "Maddgutt has two pet wolves. He also has his two bodyguards, one of them can crush a skull with its bare hands. Gorn has seen it!"

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tanir frowns at this. "Who else is with him, Gorn? Others of great strength?"

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Gorn frowns right back at Tanir. "Gorn just told you. Two wolves, and 2 bodyguards. One is goblin, the other...is...is" Gorn seems to be searching for the word. Finally it comes to him, "is... big goblin!"

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tanir looks surprised, and turns to address the others. "A Hobgoblin? We should proceed with caution. This 'Maddgutt' seems to have quite a retinue."

He sheathes his sword and makes for the staircase, standing on the first step and waiting for the others. "I think we've gotten all we can out of him. Let us continue onward; perhaps we will find something that will aid us against Maddgutt or will make our search easier."

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The goblin secured, Eran pushes his way to the front to lead the way up the stairs.
    I get the feeling that we're going to be pulling out our dailies upstairs, so I'll move up to the front line in sonna's place so that I can try and get my lead the attack on. Perchaps we should try and sneak up to get a peak and plan which guy we're going to nova on.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Maybe we should take an extended rest, then? I know I at least blew mine back on the dragon.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Me too. I'll do what you guys want, but getting my daily back would be nice.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Keep in mind that after the next encounter is the magic 3rd.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    You mean 3rd level, right?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Arivia wrote: »

Also the 3rd encounter in this set that will cause us to level. Heh. 3 for 3!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    3clipse wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »

Also the 3rd encounter in this set that will cause us to level. Heh. 3 for 3!

Indeed.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Looking around at his hesitating companions, Eran gestures up the stairs. "If this wretch is to be believed, only five await us at the top of the stairs. We've come so far, and are now so close - it would seem a shame to pull back at this late a juncture."

We're only down Tiriara's Hunts End and Tanir's Aspect of Might - is that right?. We've all got at least 2 surges, and everybody has an action point to burn. I'm happy to take a nap if we think it's really necessary, but I'm pretty sure we can take them as-is. Facing two wolves, a regular gob, a hobgob and this Madgutt - The room is likely no bigger than this one if we're in a tower, so we can probably start the battle with a fey-step + lead the attack from me and an angelic alacrity from Tanir and both our action points to take out the biggest threat (probably madgutt) in a couple of rounds (or one if we're lucky).

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tanir begins walking up the stairs. "Then let this be finished, so that we might leave this cursed place."

Sounds good to me.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "The sooner this place is cleansed, the better."

Let's do this thing.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tiriara nods and follows in silence.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Remember here about my tactical presence. Use your action point to trigger your daily (or your most powerful encounter) - I grant a +2 to attack rolls when using an AP - also don't forget that you can use your AP at any point in your turn (so use it to fire up your big guns and then follow through with your standard action rather than vice-versa).

Also remember Tanir's divine guidance - I'll call dibs on that as Lead the Attack is probably the daily that is most important to hit, but if I don't need it, make sure that you ask for it if you miss on a big attack against his oath target.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, and we were trying to move quietly up the stairs - Stealth: 1d20+2 14 - if somehow that's good enough to be surprising, feel free to roll stealths and inits for all of us (note that we all get +2 to init from me that's not on any of the sheets)

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    As a brief note, as I've been out at a bar for last 5 hours, the spiral staircase can only fit one person at time. So as you ascend the stairs, it is a 1x5 row. So, only wide enough for one person. IT would pro0bably be benefical to have an order for a 1x1 walking order, just so I know and you know how everyone is sorted.

Also, feel free to roll a group stealth check for something like this. 1 person rolls, and then everyone else who rolls over 10 adds two to the total.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In that case, it'd probably make the most sense to put the defender up front.

Sonna volunteers readily.

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok then, my guess is Sonna, Tanir, Eran, Tiriara, Dulran.

If you agree, just give a big yes, and this will commence tomorrow sometime after 4 CST, due to crappy work.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    yes

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ja wohl

interrobang on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Actually, Tanir + I probably want to be at the front so we can get to the BBEG as quickly as possible and deliver a speedy smack-down - though my plan is predicated on the room being small enough that everybody is still within 5 squares of me when I lay down my 'lead the attack' blow. Coming up in single file will probably screw with that - might need to spend a round positioning before we bring the smack-down.

Perhaps Sonna, Tanir, Eran, Dulran, Tiriara? That's probably a decent general single-column lineup (though perhaps in normal 1x tunnel-walking we keep Dulran at the rear so that Tiriara's squishiness is protected from surprise attack?)

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, its up to you all. My general formation was based on on the 2x2 formation for the last encounter. I was mostly just looking for something we could apply to all encounters to help speed things up.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I like Sonna, Tanir, Eran, Tiriara, Dulran, personally.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sonna, Tanir, Eran, Tiriara, Dulran it is then I think.

soxbox on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Given my high Speed, I think it would be best if I was in the back since I can cover the most ground in a single move. So yeah, that looks good to me.

Also, Stealth: 1d20+3 12

Denada on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    As you ascend the stairs, the tower slowly starts to turn to ruins. The third floor of the tower has no floor, it apparently having collapsed some time ago. Climbing higher into the ruin, you find many of the floors of the tower are either bare or have collapsed to the floor below. How the spiral staircase has stayed intact is a mystery.

After nearly 6 floors, there seems to be light pouring into the ruins from the next floor. When you get high enough to get a view, it looks as though the higher parts of the tower have been sheared off, and next level is open to the sky. It appears as though this is the last floor you can get to. It's now close to dusk, and the sun is very close to setting in the west.

Quick note, the stairs only have a wall on the inside. The outside of the stairs is open. I assume you will be making some checks.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tanir moves as quietly and quickly as he can up the stairs, checking for any signs of life.

Stealth: 1d20+10=14
    Perception: 1d20+12=25

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "We miss something in the ground?" Tiriara wonders aloud.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Eran almost bumps into Tanir as he stares cluelessly about.

Perception: 1d20+0 10

Pushing people off the edge of things is awesome. Being pushed off the edge is much less awesome. Is savage rend the only push/pull/slide power we have? Does the cat do anything useful movement-wise? We forgot to put him into the marching order - put him at the back? I think all the Tanir and Sonna's all pull into the square they vacate.

soxbox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    NOTHIN' TO SEE HERE

interrobang on