Options

PAX Information and FAQ (OLD THREAD)

• Options
    jonrosingjonrosing Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    whypick1 wrote: »
    jonrosing wrote: »
    I bought the PAX razer mouse last year and am hoping that they have a new one this year

http://twitter.com/Official_PAX/status/3691457127

This doesn't give me the info, but I'll keep watch and see what happens. Thanks :)

jonrosing on
  • Options
    nefermornefermor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So here is what I got in the mail:

1 envelope addressed to me from PaX
    1 letter saying Welcome!, thanks for pre-registering , opening and closing times/loc, Twitter info, ect.
    2 passes I paid for [me and husband]

I keep reading bring your pre-reg packet AND your passes. What else is supposed to be in there? o_O

nefermor on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nefermor wrote: »

1 letter saying Welcome!, thanks for pre-registering , opening and closing times/loc, Twitter info, ect.

I keep reading bring your pre-reg packet AND your passes. What else is supposed to be in there? o_O

Just your pass. That is your life from Friday through Sunday.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    nefermor wrote: »

Just your pass. That is your life from Friday through Sunday.

I would bring your printout (the thing with the bar code when you pre-regged) from the website as well, just in case something happens to your pass. Better safe than sorry.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MagesMages Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So my passport has dissapeared and my only other forms of ID are my high school id where my name is misspelled (I'm Julien, it says Joliem. Nice job right?) and my expired passport from 3 or 4 years ago (looks kind've like me), would the expired one by fine?

And I'm bringing my birth certificate to fly from NY to Seattle so would that be good either?

Mages on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Planes require birth certificates now? O_o

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Planes require birth certificates now? O_o

It's a form of Identification if they do not have Photo ID. Young chilluns do it that way.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    No but just in case, as I am under 18 and my father has to have a passport to fly I believe with me without an ID. I mean fuck it why not I'm not missing PAX because some TSA agent can't read the law. He's got business meetings to do there while I play RB:Beatles!

Mages on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ah, that makes sense.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    shinyspaceshinyspace Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I'm coming to PAX with my 15 year old. He doesn't have any photo ID. Is that going to be a problem at all?
    We are picking our tickets up Thurs at the Grand Hyatt. Will he be able to play mature rated games since I am with him? Will the badge indicate it is for someone under 17? If not I doubt anyone will think he is only 15.
    Thanks!

shinyspace on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    shinyspace wrote: »
    I'm coming to PAX with my 15 year old. He doesn't have any photo ID. Is that going to be a problem at all?
    We are picking our tickets up Thurs at the Grand Hyatt. Will he be able to play mature rated games since I am with him? Will the badge indicate it is for someone under 17? If not I doubt anyone will think he is only 15.
    Thanks!

I have the opposite problem. I'm turning 15 the week after PAX but them hormones haven't shot yet, and I still look like I'm 11 or 10.

Mages on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Unless you plan on losing your badges, you do not need your prereg confirmation.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    OrosoOroso Enforcer PortlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    shinyspace wrote: »
    Thanks!

I believe this is something left up to each company. And the PAX badges are all the same.

Oroso on
  • Options
    ZazezizozuzyZazezizozuzy Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    This will be my first PAX so, few things I was wondering about. I've read through this entire thread as well as other threads and all the FAQs and haven't found the answers.

Are laptops allowed outside of the BYOC area. As an example, instead of bringing a DS to wait in line with, can I bring my laptop to watch movies or play games on?

And if I can, can I bring a backpack to carry it in? I'm driving there from Tacoma so, i was gonna bring a bag with stuff that I might need. It seems weird to not, but I haven't seen any specifications on whether or not bags are allowed, or if there's a bag check when you get into the building.

Zazezizozuzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yes to both questions, Zaze. At least, if the rules haven't changed from the past 3 years I've gone.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    ArklierArklier Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This might have been asked before, but...

Are they going to be limiting the amount of questions/time that people spend at the mic in the panels? It really sucks waiting in line to get to ask your question, only to run out of time because a bunch of jerkwads in front of you hogged the mic. Year before last some person in one of the panels asked FOUR questions, and they weren't short ones either. I waited in line half an hour (along with at least five other people) to ask my question and never got a chance.

Boot their asses to the back of the line after one question!

Arklier on
  • Options
    SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well yes most of us don't plan to loose our passes but it has happened (my friends fell off his lanyard somehow). Last year we were provided lanyards that really were not very effective in guaranteeing the badge wouldn't accidentally fall off. I don't know what they will be this year but i recommend bringing something to better secure it just in case.

Last Years (Bulldog clip)
    img_3360.jpg

This version is safer (J-hook)
    Lanyard_flat_black_2136-3501.jpg

Singollo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "Hi, I have 3 questions, one of them with 4 parts, and I'd also like to check if anyone here has my nvidia number..."

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "...I'd also like to check if anyone here has my nvidia number..."

THAT'S what I'm afraid of the most in ALL the panels.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This will be my first PAX so, few things I was wondering about. I've read through this entire thread as well as other threads and all the FAQs and haven't found the answers.

Are laptops allowed outside of the BYOC area. As an example, instead of bringing a DS to wait in line with, can I bring my laptop to watch movies or play games on?

And if I can, can I bring a backpack to carry it in? I'm driving there from Tacoma so, i was gonna bring a bag with stuff that I might need. It seems weird to not, but I haven't seen any specifications on whether or not bags are allowed, or if there's a bag check when you get into the building.

Yes you can bring a laptop anywhere you want.

Yes backpacks are allowed.

No there isnt a bag check.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They should have a sign that say "1 question MAX! and if you mention your Nvidia number, you will be beaten with cardboard tubes".

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • Options
    ArklierArklier Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "Hi, I have 3 questions, one of them with 4 parts, and I'd also like to check if anyone here has my nvidia number..."

Yes! This!

Really makes me want to feed them the damn microphone.

Arklier on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    At blizzcon I was watching it with friends with the streaming thing. Some dick went up to GC with a mask and said "WHYD YOU NERF ME MAN" and spent 5 minutes of valuable panel time when he coudlve been asking about the radical changes.

When GC asked what are you talking about I can't see your mask what do you look like, everyone in the crowd said he looked like a dickhead.

Don't be a dick at panels mmk?

Mages on
  • Options
    DunckTheFunkDunckTheFunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This will be my first time at PAX and I was wondering: If I want to get a wristband for the concerts, where do I have to be at what time. I thought it was be one of the first 4000 people to get in the first day, and if that's true, what time should I show up a the line room to make sure of this?

DunckTheFunk on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    GFW-1.jpg
    GFW Radio. The Brodeo. Live at PAX '09. Come for the WahJah. Leave with a shame cape.
  • Options
    Slipstream0Slipstream0 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    related question -- if I get the early and get a wristband, is it possible to give my wristband to a friend that didnt get one?

Slipstream0 on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It is the first 4k. You'll want to be in the line up room, but when is up in the air as there's never been this many people and the con has never opened this early. 8am to be sure, 9 might be safe.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's not possible to get in line before 8 am, and PAX opens at 10, so if you *really* want to be one of the first people into the theater for concerts, show up at 8. As for passing your wristband to a friend, in the past they've always been the type designed not to be taken off without being wripped up.

Keep in mind that the wristbands in the past have never been required to get into a concert, they just get you in before the unwashed masses without wristbands.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    thekidq909thekidq909 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I was wondering what I'm supposed to do if a friend bought my tickets for me, but they were put under his name. How do I prove I didn't steal my tickets if I don't have him with me and my name isn't on the tickets?! Please help me! this it me first gaming expo and I really want to make sure everything goes smoothly.

thekidq909 on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The badges themselves don't have names or anything personally identifiable on them. At will call your friend will need to provide photo ID and the registration barcode in order to pick up the badges, but after that, feel free to not see him for the rest of the weekend.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    thekidq909thekidq909 Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    whypick1 wrote: »
    The badges themselves don't have names or anything personally identifiable on them. At will call your friend will need to provide photo ID and the registration barcode in order to pick up the badges, but after that, feel free to not see him for the rest of the weekend.

How hes not even going to be in the state! what am I to do?

thekidq909 on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This should answer all questions about transferring badges...
    You need a SIGNED photocopy of their ID and a printout of the barcode ticket to pick up someone else's badge.

This was also posted in the Need Ticket/Have Unwanted Ticket Thread as well.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    AverageToasterAverageToaster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is there a floor map on pax with all the booths somewhere i can get?

AverageToaster on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    whypick1 on
  • Options
    PookieMan357PookieMan357 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey,
    Happy to see that bags are allowed and that there haven't been bag checks, but I was wondering if someone could clue me in or point me to a site that tells me what is allowed in the convention center.
    I saw the bit about weapons and/or mock weapons being left behind, but is there actually a list of what not to bring.
    Also, looking at the floor map I didn't see anything in the way of refreshment stations. Is there food or drink available at PAX outside of random vending machines?

PookieMan357 on
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey,
    Happy to see that bags are allowed and that there haven't been bag checks, but I was wondering if someone could clue me in or point me to a site that tells me what is allowed in the convention center.
    I saw the bit about weapons and/or mock weapons being left behind, but is there actually a list of what not to bring.
    Also, looking at the floor map I didn't see anything in the way of refreshment stations. Is there food or drink available at PAX outside of random vending machines?

I believe there is a pizza joint and a taco del mar, and of course your in downtown seattle. Food isn't hard to find.

Spokane_SnowMan on
  • Options
    PookieMan357PookieMan357 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cool. Is outside food/drink frowned upon in the convention center?

PookieMan357 on
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nope. Feel free to bring your own grub.

Also, there's two Subways - one on the fourth floor and one outside the entrance. There's also a Starbucks and a small coffee place that sells sandwiches and stuff near the Kinko/FedEx place on the first floor. Be prepared though 'cause all of these are usually slammed.

Also, I remember there was a small concessions place inside the Exhibition Hall, although I'm not sure it'll be open for PAX. It was definitely open during Sakura Con though back in the spring. It's also really pricey. Same with some of the other makeshift concessions inside the convention center.

Don't worry, food is not hard to find. However, I highly suggest you get your food before evening. Some places in the surrounding area close at 8. But, as seen at Sakura Con this year, a lot of the places inside the convention center actually extended their hours well past their usual business hours just from the sheer volume of people. They're willing to keep open if people keep coming in.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    CrimsonkillerCrimsonkiller Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    This has probably already been asked but I have a White pass for Friday. So what is the earliest that I can get into the building and start roaming around.

Crimsonkiller on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This has probably already been asked but I have a White pass for Friday. So what is the earliest that I can get into the building and start roaming around.

The expo opens at 10AM. Anyone arriving before then will get to join the line-up queue.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They will let you line up at 8 am. Before then, if you really want you can actually get into the convention center at 7 am, as long as you stay in the central, public areas.

Dreamwriter on
This discussion has been closed.