As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champions Online - Open Beta has begun!

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Yay, we're back!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, um. this review... I really feel that they either A. did not have a copy of the game when they wrote this or B. were playing something else.

And this was linked from Champion's own main page

Listen to this:
    Combat control lis based off the standard command set that veteran MMO players should have no problems adjusting to
    (typo theirs)

Now, I mean MOVING is the same as most MMO's, but isn't one of the whole things about Champions the fact that it plays differently? Or is that me being picky? Regardless, the next line is gold...
    Depending on what type of a hero you are, you get a chance to fly, run on walls, or burrow underground for extra speed boosts or for trying to get the drop on your opponent from behind.

What? Since when can we run on walls?

I mean just read it....like there is no real content here!

Arch on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Agahnim wrote: »
    Question Re: Gamestop online orders. Do they charge you for the product immediately, or upon shipping? Wondering if I can order, get a code, and then cancel the order. I'm planning on buying it at Best Buy because I have gift card to use there but would like to get preorder codes from as many places as possible.

It says on the page, the EBGames one at least, that you cannot cancel a pre order once you get your beta code.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    So, um. this review... I really feel that they either A. did not have a copy of the game when they wrote this or B. were playing something else.

And this was linked from Champion's own main page

Listen to this:
    Combat control lis based off the standard command set that veteran MMO players should have no problems adjusting to
    (typo theirs)

Now, I mean MOVING is the same as most MMO's, but isn't one of the whole things about Champions the fact that it plays differently? Or is that me being picky? Regardless, the next line is gold...
    Depending on what type of a hero you are, you get a chance to fly, run on walls, or burrow underground for extra speed boosts or for trying to get the drop on your opponent from behind.

What? Since when can we run on walls?

I mean just read it....like there is no real content here!

I like to hope running on walls is something that the higher levels of Acrobatics will have.

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    Vladimir7Vladimir7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wolfgangpg wrote: »
    If I get 3 years out of this game and never buy a MT -- they lost money on me.
    That's not true at all, they made $200 off of you. They obviously didn't make as much off of you as if you were paying month by month.
    It might cost them 50 cents for you to play for 3 years for bandwidth costs, vs you not playing at all.

I also find it funny how mmos have character limits -- especially if they don't offer you a way to buy more.
    Oh man, that database entry for 1 more character might take 500kb in their database HOLY SHIT SO MUCH MONEY with a 150gb u320 scsi drive going for $350 retail
    I can maybe see an arbitrary limit so some people don't go hog wild, like perhaps 50.

Vladimir7 on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Question Re: Gamestop online orders. Do they charge you for the product immediately, or upon shipping? Wondering if I can order, get a code, and then cancel the order. I'm planning on buying it at Best Buy because I have gift card to use there but would like to get preorder codes from as many places as possible.

It says on the page, the EBGames one at least, that you cannot cancel a pre order once you get your beta code.

Yeah, I see that now, hadn't checked the page recently. I guess I can do it in store by putting $5 down then. I think I will leave my Amazon preorder up instead of getting it at Best Buy, because it's preorder item code is apparently shipping with the game. But I still want to get a Gamestop code for the headstart access and costume piece.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The flight item is good, too. I won't have to take flight just to be competitive in PvP any more. Instead, I can take Teleport and be super competitive. And by competitive, I mean cheesy.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Akinos wrote: »
    Hooray new thread!

Now goodbye forever while I buckle down for OB. D:

You poor, poor person.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hula Grrl
    525043_imgWidth-518.93766937669_imgHeight-1024_jpgTexName-headshot_background_blue_grad.jpg
    I forget how many times I've posted this already.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    don't stop

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    495012_imgWidth-518.93766937669_imgHeight-1024_jpgTexName-headshot_background_blue_grad.jpg

SHOCKA ZULU!

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hope you guys saved screenshots of your characters, because they're gone now!

Pony on
  • Options
    VehemVehem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Hope you guys saved screenshots of your characters, because they're gone now!

sooo many screenshots

I also feel I must reaffirm my raging hardon for Force.

Vehem on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    I remember how I made mine, it is all good.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vehem wrote: »

I had that but the knockback gets annoying after a while. Especially if you're fighting in tight quarters with a metric fuckton of enemies just outside aggro range in every direction.

freakish light on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, at what point can we explode our NDA-locked screenshots upon the board? Monday?

Glal on
  • Options
    VehemVehem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vehem wrote: »

I had that but the knockback gets annoying after a while. Especially if you're fighting in tight quarters with a metric fuckton of enemies just outside aggro range in every direction.

Eh people said the same thing a lot in COH and I just never saw it. Knockback is always a good thing for me, as long as I'm setting up my shots.

Vehem on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    perma-pass boughtened.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So, after today's testing, I am torn.

I still have an undeniable love for electricity. I mean, fucking electricty man. But I am now also in love with force, telepathy, AND telekinesis.

I mean, force is NICE. Very nice. Good force.

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    So, at what point can we explode our NDA-locked screenshots upon the board? Monday?

Where does the game store our screenshots anyway?

EDIT: nevermind, found it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Nalouto wrote: »
    yeah I walked into a Gamestop downtown, plopped down $5 and got my code. No muss no fuss, I feel bad for you guys getting jerked around with your codes, or having them taken already. My advice is go to the store physically (you fatties!)

I actually waddled my ass down to the nearest Gamestop on my lunch break and after standing in a long-ass line filled with clueless tourists and their annoying, yammering children, when I finally asked about pre-ordering CO and the associated pre-order bonus I was met with a look of mute incomprehension roughly akin to what I'd assume I'd get if I tried to explain the rise and fall of the Roman Empire to a two year old.

So I'd say that in-store code getting is a hit or miss proposition.

Yeah, well, I think it's pretty much established that saying GameStop is retarded these days is like saying the sky is blue.

The first thing most of them will know about CO is that 'hey, we just got a shipment of it in today,' and sell all the copies without bothering to look at the pre-order list.

They do this fairly regularly.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So, after today's testing, I am torn.

I still have an undeniable love for electricity. I mean, fucking electricty man. But I am now also in love with force, telepathy, AND telekinesis.

I mean, force is NICE. Very nice. Good force.

Mix and match!

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Electricty and force?

Yes...oh my...dear god yes.

Electricity and force? I am Spaceman Spiff, but the masses shall know me as God.

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    oh god i made the best character ever but i didn't get to finish creating him before the servers went down

i took a screenshot from the character creator but the NDA prohibits me from just posting it

but i want to show yooooooooou

NDA-ing your characters seems silly since if I had created him I could show people through Rate My Champion

Pony on
  • Options
    quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Honestly, with the NDA ending in what, 3 days ? I don't think they're going to come at you with lawyers for having posted one picture of your character :)

quaigy on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I got my preorder for the game today. I'm still debating whether or not to get the lifetime subscription. I've been regularly playing CoH pretty much since launch, so if this game is at least around the same level of performance/gameplay then I'll probably opt for it. Does anyone know how long the lifetime subscription offer is open for though? I wouldn't mind getting a look at it first before I decide to spend $200.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    quaigy wrote: »
    Honestly, with the NDA ending in what, 3 days ? I don't think they're going to come at you with lawyers for having posted one picture of your character :)

LibertyEagle.jpg

You can't see in the picture, but on his right shoulder there's U, a S on his left, and an A on his belt.

He has two pistols because IT IS HIS RIGHT

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The current offer ends on the 1st.

Pony, that is pretty funny, but you need to swap the S and the A.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That's quite glorious. Feels like my own creations are made of fail and suck compared to it, even if it's a joke character.

quaigy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It would figure that the login server goes down once I am finished patching.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So hear is the real question guys.

Open beta is starting on Monday, and release is not far away.

What's the Supergroup name gonna be?

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    that's pretty amazing, pony. love the guns

now I want to make a normal dude, but with his arm's replaced with a bear's. And name him The Right.

with how guilds and whatnot are usually named around here, it's probably going to be ADLADLADLADL

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Anyone have any ideas on ones that haven't been used yet?

The Lookouts?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Anyone have any ideas on ones that haven't been used yet?

The Lookouts?

You know, I had to stop for a second and go "The Lookouts"? Then it clicked. And I'm just gonna say it. I'm throwing my support in behind this idea.

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So hear is the real question guys.

Open beta is starting on Monday, and release is not far away.

What's the Supergroup name gonna be?

The Arcadian League?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    New announcement on the preview forums: Site merge with the normal Champions-online site coming up.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh, so we're sharing character shots?

Well then, let me inflict upon you...er...share with you the character that got me my very first (and only) "nice costume" tell...
    The Surrealist!

Surrealist.jpg

(Okay, to be fair, it was a "that costume is awful and awesome at the same time" tell.)

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    And now i'm feeling much better about my own creations. Thank you, kind sir !

quaigy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    New announcement on the preview forums: Site merge with the normal Champions-online site coming up.

Oh dear lord.

*ominous music*

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I never screen shotted Powerline. However, I'm starting to realize my costuming ideas are VERY conservative.

TracerBullet on
This discussion has been closed.