Options

Fuck Sheriff Joe - Hostile Computer Takeover Edition

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Batman is George W. Bush, so people are going to find another superhero to compare Sheriff Joe to.

Aquaman? They are both pretty terrible, albeit for different reasons.
    I would say Black Adam, but Joe's not cool enough.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Actually, didn't Aquaman have near-absolute power in the water and was just completely useless and widely hated outside his "jurisdiction"?

Seems pretty apt, actually.

Duffel on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    That reminds me.

Addendum to my previous statement:

Joe will never leave office unless it is because he decides not to run again. Then he'll get his own show on Fox. Like Ollie North.
    He already did, on Fox Reality.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If the feds have trouble arresting him in AZ, they could wait until he leaves the state. He does TV from time to time (he was on Colbert once). Of course, you have to keep quiet that you are going to make such a move and that may not be easy.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If the feds seriously wanted to arrest him, they would be able to. Suggesting otherwise is clearly ridiculous. It's not like he's Adid or something.

Leitner on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We need to just nuke Maricopa from space.

It's the only way to be sure.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    If the feds seriously wanted to arrest him, they would be able to. Suggesting otherwise is clearly ridiculous. It's not like he's Adid or something.
    It seems like it's probably more an issue of political will than FBI firepower.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Leitner wrote: »

Ergo the if they wanted to. People here are acting like his own personal militia is the reason that they have not been able to. Or that he could seriously pose a threat to their agents. Like you say, the only reason he's not been picked up is because it wouldn't be politically expedient to do so, or more scarily that there are people in power who support what he does.

Leitner on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    That reminds me.

Joe will never leave office unless it is because he decides not to run again. Then he'll get his own show on Fox. Like Ollie North.

Fox apparently only picked up three episodes, and they must have felt it wasn't very good.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile...You're_Under_Arrest!
    Making entertainment out of arresting a person is just plain crass.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Such an investigation would be pretty unprecedented, it seems to me. How often does the FBI have to work not only without any support from local and state authorities whatsoever, but with said authorities actively working against them?

Duffel on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    That reminds me.

Fox apparently only picked up three episodes, and they must have felt it wasn't very good.

Ugh (just read the episode list.)

So, in other news, why is it Arizonians don't know enough about this guy to get him gone (excepting NeoTona, who obviously doesn't approve of him) ? Is it just a case of people being ignorant of what's going on around them?

Do you think that, in twenty years, this sort of thing wouldn't happen due to information like this commonly being disseminated through some sort of vast series of tubes?

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ego wrote: »
    Do you think that, in twenty years, this sort of thing wouldn't happen due to information like this commonly being disseminated through some sort of vast series of tubes?

No. I think Joe is still popular for the same reason laws that make it almost impossible for sex offenders to live normal lives are popular. For example, Perdue in Georgia signed a law that had passed almost unanimously in the GA Assembly making it so that sex offenders couldn't live within a 1000 feet of a bus stop. Think about how fucking retarded that is, but I can almost guarantee you that it is popular. Regardless of whether the internet exists, people still love to see their elected politicians "be tought on crime" in progressively retarded ways.

Couscous on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That reminds me.

So, in other news, why is it Arizonians don't know enough about this guy to get him gone (excepting NeoTona, who obviously doesn't approve of him) ? Is it just a case of people being ignorant of what's going on around them?

From what other posters have said, Florida is Arizona-lite. A bunch of old people and Sheriff Joe keeps them safe from the darkies. At least that's how I read/see it. Someone with first hand experience may want to chime in and correct me.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

There's no way Arizonans don't know about it. It's all over the news, constantly.

The problem is that they like what Joe is doing provided they don't actually get on his bad side, and they brush aside the murders and blatant corruption because he protects them from those scary, scary mexicans. Hence why he keeps getting elected.

EDIT: B-beat'd

Duffel on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

No. I think Joe is still popular for the same reason laws that make it almost impossible for sex offenders to live normal lives are popular. For example, Perdue in Georgia signed a law that had passed almost unanimously in the GA Assembly making it so that sex offenders couldn't live within a 1000 feet of a bus stop. Think about how fucking retarded that is, but I can almost guarantee you that it is popular. Regardless of whether the internet exists, people still love to see their elected politicians "be tought on crime" in progressively retarded ways.

Wait, why don't they want sex offenders at bus stops? I don't understand the implications of this law. I mean, I get why it'd pass, because hey, it always feels good to restrict sex offenders rights, but I don't understand why you'd pick bus stops.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »

Wait, why don't they want sex offenders at bus stops? I don't understand the implications of this law. I mean, I get why it'd pass, because hey, it always feels good to restrict sex offenders rights, but I don't understand why you'd pick bus stops.

I might have been a few years, but didn't you ever take a large, yellow vehicle to a learning institution?

You're probably thinking "Why would they restrict them from city buses?" when I'm sure that there are many rural places in Georgia that have school bus stops (little shacks or designated areas for pick ups). I know that here in Cali foothills (East of Roseville) there are bus stops like that.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »

it means their residency can't be closer than a 1000 feet of any school bus stop. I should have stated the "school" part. :P

Despite the board’s findings, non-violent offenders remain listed and subject to a giant cobweb of controls. One rule, championed by Georgia’s House majority leader, banned them from living within 1,000 feet of a school bus stop. This proved unworkable. Thomas Brown, the sheriff of DeKalb county near Atlanta, mapped the bus stops in his patch and realised that he would have to evict all 490 of the sex offenders living there. Other than the bottom of a lake or the middle of a forest, there was hardly anywhere in Georgia for them to live legally. In the end Georgia’s courts stepped in and suspended the bus-stop rule, along with another barring sex offenders from volunteering in churches. But most other restrictions remain.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes but its blatently an attempt to simply push out sex offenders since not living within walking distance of a bus stop seems to me to be a very tough requirement to meet anywhere.

Edit: School bust stop, fine, but walking distance is a fair bit further then that so if I wanted to get to a school bus stop I'd damn well get there.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm trying to envision such a law in my area, and I don't think it's physically possible.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Such an investigation would be pretty unprecedented, it seems to me. How often does the FBI have to work not only without any support from local and state authorities whatsoever, but with said authorities actively working against them?

Every time they ever have any sort of corruption investigation ever? Patrick Fitzgerald v Blago, that fucked up shit in New Jersey, &c. Do you think the Feds had/have a cheerily obliging state and local government working with them?

moniker on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Every time they ever have any sort of corruption investigation ever? Patrick Fitzgerald v Blago, that fucked up shit in New Jersey, &c. Do you think the Feds had/have a cheerily obliging state and local government working with them?

They also don't have local law enforcement actively working against them.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

:lol:

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

Yeah. I'm sure that never happens.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Point taken, and I'll admit that I'm not very familiar with any recent corruption-busting (didn't really follow the blagojevich thing, etc.), but Joe seems essentially different in that the entire law enforcement apparatus which would be involved answers to him and only to him.

Blagojevich was a corrupt dude, yeah, but as far as I know he didn't have law enforcement officers murdering people and getting away with it even though they got caught doing it (although, once again, I'm not familiar with that case).

Joe could be prosecuted, sure. But I can't imagine where it wouldn't be extremely difficult, dangerous, and have a high chance of failure. The man is an attention whore and PR master par excellence, and you could bet that through the entirety of the ordeal he'd be screaming on Fox News about how his opponents and prosecutors were child-molesting homosexuals who like to sodomize their illegal alien underage pool boys. It would be bloody as all fuck and if he's as good at evading the law as he is at breaking it there would be no guarantee of success.

Duffel on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Yes but its blatently an attempt to simply push out sex offenders since not living within walking distance of a bus stop seems to me to be a very tough requirement to meet anywhere.

Edit: School bust stop, fine, but walking distance is a fair bit further then that so if I wanted to get to a school bus stop I'd damn well get there.

You can't live in 99% of Georgia without a car anyway, so even if they couldn't take any of the three small mass transit systems we have (Marta, the thing in Gwinnett County, and the Athens thing are the ones I know of), it wouldn't be too big a deal.

Still a stupid law.

MKR on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MKR wrote: »

You can't live in 99% of Georgia without a car anyway, so even if they couldn't take any of the three small mass transit systems we have (Marta, the thing in Gwinnett County, and the Athens thing are the ones I know of), it wouldn't be too big a deal.

Still a stupid law.

Yeah, I mean if it happend over here they'd be screwed. Our public tranport system is among the best in the world, I've never owned a car and I can get anywhere I need to be with either the bus train or my bike. They'd have to live in a field or something.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    MKR wrote: »

Still a stupid law.

Yeah, I mean if it happend over here they'd be screwed. Our public tranport system is among the best in the world, I've never owned a car and I can get anywhere I need to be with either the bus train or my bike. They'd have to live in a field or something.

Perhaps under a bridge somewhere?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay so I'm reading through all this Sheriff Joe stuff and the one thing I'm not getting is the accusations of murder. Can someone point me to that story? It's not on his Wikipedia page or anywhere I can seem to find.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    pink underwear and pink handcuffs on the prisoners?

America's most closet homosexual sheriff

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Okay so I'm reading through all this Sheriff Joe stuff and the one thing I'm not getting is the accusations of murder. Can someone point me to that story? It's not on his Wikipedia page or anywhere I can seem to find.

I don't think it was outright murder, but the occasional negligent manslaughter in his prisons from the deputies beating the prisoners.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    People in the custody of Joe's jails have a tendency to die in strange and mysterious ways.

Like the paraplegic guy in the wheelchair who was beaten to death for "resisting" the jail guards when he tried to gain access to a catheter so he could urinate.

Duffel on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think they probably got decently used to it when they were investigating the civil rights murders back in the 60's when the local authorities and citizenry were all supporting the klansmen and other murderers.

Neaden on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Point taken, and I'll admit that I'm not very familiar with any recent corruption-busting (didn't really follow the blagojevich thing, etc.), but Joe seems essentially different in that the entire law enforcement apparatus which would be involved answers to him and only to him.

Blagojevich was a corrupt dude, yeah, but as far as I know he didn't have law enforcement officers murdering people and getting away with it even though they got caught doing it (although, once again, I'm not familiar with that case).

Joe could be prosecuted, sure. But I can't imagine where it wouldn't be extremely difficult, dangerous, and have a high chance of failure. The man is an attention whore and PR master par excellence, and you could bet that through the entirety of the ordeal he'd be screaming on Fox News about how his opponents and prosecutors were child-molesting homosexuals who like to sodomize their illegal alien underage pool boys. It would be bloody as all fuck and if he's as good at evading the law as he is at breaking it there would be no guarantee of success.
    Well then they just have to destroy his public image before, don't they?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »

Hey, I live here... jerk.

This place will be great once all the old people are dead.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It's the numerous people who died in the care of him and his deputies.

There's the time his deputies burned down that innocent couples home, and while it was burning they prevented their baby puppy from leaving, kicked it back inside, and then laughed while it burned to death.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well then they just have to destroy his public image before, don't they?
    As sentry's last post pointed out, his sheriff's department is already degraded to the point where they're making people watch while they set dogs on fire (and serving citizens who have never been convicted of a crime tainted food, making them work on chain gangs, visibly treating his own dogs better than the prisoners, accusing his political opponents of being child molestors and masturbating in public...)

When someone does stuff like this and is lauded for it, how exactly do you damage their reputation?

Duffel on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »

Hey, I live here... jerk.

This place will be great once all the old people are dead.
    I've lived here for three years now and I agree with Than

Phoenix doesn't really have that much to recommend it. Arpaio just makes it worse.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    does charles barkley still live there? can we evacuate him first?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If Barkley wants to live, he can save us all with a Chaos Dunk

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Signum Ex SonitusSignum Ex Sonitus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm all for nuking this place. Just let me know before ya push the button, eh?

Edit: I wonder how I'd do running for Sheriff on the Not Sheriff Joe platform.

Signum Ex Sonitus on