As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Death To Spies: Moment of Truth - Anyone?

Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
death-to-spies.jpg

Hi folks. I couldn't find any threads about this game, and I wanted to talk about it so......

I was feeling frivolous the other day after reading a whole bunch of reviews and articles about this sequel to the "popular" stealth game 'Death To Spies' (Although honestly I had never heard of it before. So how popular could it be?), descovering that it is apparently a lot like the Hitman series, of which I am a massive fan. It got review scores of around 70% or 80%, so I thought for 18 quid I can't really go wrong.

Here's what Steam has to say about it.
The Most Mysterious Secret Service Agency of WWII

This is a third-person stealth-action game describing the activities of the SMERSH, the most mysterious secret service agency of World War II.

Moment of Truth is a sequel to the popular stealth action title Death to Spies. The game's main character is Semion Strogov, a captain in the 4th department of the Soviet counterintelligence service called SMERSH (a Russian acronym meaning "Death to Spies").

The hero possesses the skills to accomplish dangerous missions that include gathering information on the location of hostile military and civil units and assassinating enemy agents, including the Wehrmacht's high-ranking officers. His task is to capture spies and saboteurs and gather information about their actions using unique technologies and devices.

* Brand new missions located in Western and Eastern Europe, USA, in the UK and the territory of the former USSR
* New vehicles and weapons
* Enhanced animation and visuals
* New graphic effects: new landscape texturing with higher resolution and bump mapping effects, updated rendering with HDR and dithered shadows

Sounds pretty awesome huh?

And it is!

This is one of those games however, that while good, could have been amazing with just a couple of additions and tweaks. Oh, and a re-write of the story. In fact, they could have just taken the story out and made it just about a nameless russian spy who sabotages shit and kills dudes, and it would have been a far better story. The cutscenes between missions are by far the worse part of this game. The main characters voice is terrible. But that's a good thing really, as the cutscenes and story are a tiny part of this game, and the rest of it is pretty golden.

It should be noted first off that this game is hard. Hard as nails. Hard as adamantium nails coated in unbreakable diamonds. But it's not the kind of hard that feels cheap, or hard because of the game engine or controls. It's hard because a lot of the things you can do are based in realism.

You can wear the clothes of, and disguise yourself as practically anyone you knockout or kill (Although not the women, which I was deeply disappointed by....... what?) but what uniform you're wearing plays a big part in what you can actually do while disguised. For example, if you're driving a fuel truck and you're dressed as a pilot, you're going to attract a lot of attention. I have had some really tense moments when I am dressed as a high ranking officer and I walk into a room full of Nazis gabbing away listening to Wagner, and the "suspicion meter" starts going crazy. But I just had to walk through the room ... keeping my cool ... guys looking at me as I walked past. If I stop, they get a good look at my face and I'm fucked.. if I run, their suspicions are confirmed and I am fucked. If I go back the way I came, I am fucked.

From the very beginning of this game, you are fucked. And it's awesome when you manage to overcome these seemingly colossal obstacles and very difficult objectives. Since when you fuck them up, you're fucking them up. It's not the game's fault you're not awesome enough to win at it.

Oh and the levels are filled with trillions of guards. Trillions!

Anyway I could go on. This is a great little game. If you liked Hitman (to say this game is like Hitman, is an understatement. It practically IS Hitman, set in 1944, which is a very good thing.) and you enjoy a real challenge. And have 19 quid to spare. (What is that, 30 dollars? ) Then I strongly advise picking this one up.

Short version: This game is Hitman + Commandos. And it's great.

Has anyone else played this game yet? What do you think if you have?

Screens:
deathtospies2.jpg

961205_20090721_790screen003.jpg
961205_20090721_790screen001.jpg

medium_3679380007_87799d3bb9_o.jpg

25981d1205655297-erweiterte-schleicheinlagen-death-spies-moment-truth-kk.jpg

Automasig.jpg
Bacon-BuTTy on

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Played the demo what seems like years ago. Wish I had a chance to try out the full game.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It practically looks like a Hitman mod.

Although they took out the interesting parts of hitman and replaced them with WW2.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Because this game is Russian, it has some quirky little bits of inaccurate English at times, or some strange sentences. Also, the germans seem to talk about lunch (Mittagessen) ALL the fucking time.

But the mission I just got to is set in England, and it's pretty funny. This mission objective in particular made me smile.

Englushmen.jpg

Damn right it's unacceptable.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    holy shit, you're right, this is hitman

i fucking love hitman

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    germans seem to talk about lunch (Mittagessen) ALL the fucking time.

even at dinner time?

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Even in the dead of night.

"Blifton blofton von hausen dise mittagessen, Ja?"

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Really, who can blame them. They get to eat bratwurst every fucking day!

I'd talk about lunch all the time too.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ............. so yeah.

Get the game. Why haven't you all gotten the game yet?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    get off my back

Nuzak on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ginger Mijango needs to do a LP of this game.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ginger mijango needs to do an LP of my life

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ginger's hitman lp was so awesome

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If anything this is a 'Hidden And Dangerous 2' mod. The boot camp practice mission for Death to Spies has some of the exact same building assets that H&D2 has.

I've been going through the game and it has it's moments. The camp in the first mission, I knocked everyone out besides the patrols of 3 people. The game isn't without it's bugs though. Assuming I'm not missing something.

Mission 1
    The first mission: You need to get the mechanics uniform and drive the truck into the base. I get the uniform and start driving out, but I have to pass a 3 man patrol. The patrol see's through my disguise. Even if I kill that patrol, the gate guards on the base see through my disguise as well. I searched the perimeter for another entrance and no go there. I'm stumped on how to get into that base without killing/knocking out anyone.

I eventually just chloroformed the outer gate guard then knocked out his buddy.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If anything this is a 'Hidden And Dangerous 2' mod. The boot camp practice mission for Death to Spies has some of the exact same building assets that H&D2 has.

I've been going through the game and it has it's moments. The camp in the first mission, I knocked everyone out besides the patrols of 3 people. The game isn't without it's bugs though. Assuming I'm not missing something.

Mission 1
    The first mission: You need to get the mechanics uniform and drive the truck into the base. I get the uniform and start driving out, but I have to pass a 3 man patrol. The patrol see's through my disguise. Even if I kill that patrol, the gate guards on the base see through my disguise as well. I searched the perimeter for another entrance and no go there. I'm stumped on how to get into that base without killing/knocking out anyone.

I eventually just chloroformed the outer gate guard then knocked out his buddy.

Really? I haven't experienced anything like this and I am 6 missions in.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This seems to have some pretty mixed reviews. Weird how IGN gave it the best score (8/10), and these guys I know nothing about gave it a 4.2/10.

Nevertheless, I am getting it. I want to try it for myself.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    ginger's hitman lp was so awesome

Man. Went searching for this, and found out that all of the videos were deleted.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so I just got the first game from goozex, I'll report back later.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This sounds like a game I would love to watch a Let's Play of.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TreasTreas Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    This sounds like a game I would love to watch a Let's Play of.

Agreed. Hitman is great, but I'm on a tight budget.
    Given the amount of triple-a releases in the next few months, WWII stealth action games are pretty low on my list of priorities.

I also rather prefer watching others be frustrated to being frustrated myself, and when I hear this could be compared to a Hitman mod, I get a little nervous (I'm not implying this game is buggy, that's just what comes to my mind.)

Treas on