As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Culture of Debate and Discourse

• Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    back in the day

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Part of my half year or whatever exile from D&D was due to me no longer enjoying the place very much. So I left. Then I thought, hey, maybe I'll like it again, and how about that, I really do.

It is amazing how easy it is to exert self control in such matters.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    back in the day

I haven't been around long enough to get nostalgic......I would like more active posting in the discussion threads but that just means I and others need to come up with better topics.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    I don't remember our threads ever being better. The quality of our regs has always been even, and lurkers stay out of most uncontentious threads, but come out swinging heavily for Loonville when something juicy comes up.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Part of my half year or whatever exile from D&D was due to me no longer enjoying the place very much. So I left. Then I thought, hey, maybe I'll like it again, and how about that, I really do.

It is amazing how easy it is to exert self control in such matters.

You and your self control. Where can I get some?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    Gosh, I could've sworn I left that EE subforum right here. But now I find this identical D&D place where EE used to be. Where did EE go, bd?
    I destroyed it, because you loved it and the admin badge makes people go mad with misanthropy.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    sanstodo wrote:
    I think the chat and Phalla threads are fine. I don't spend most of my time posting in them but I have in the past and it was fun. The discussion threads are going ok, though there are some who derail every argument into the same crap over and over again (I hope I don't fall into that category :oops: ).

I do think that people should be a bit nicer with the way they phrase their arguments; instead of calling someone a "dumbshit bat brain" if they disagree with you, concentrate more on the actual content of the post (though sometimes, hilarious profanity and insults are warranted). Also, it's ok to admit you're wrong and adjust your position (I've done it here a few times, I probably should do it more) instead of simply abandoning a thread if you feel like your argument does not hold water.

Basically, I agree that this shouldn't be an intellectual cock-waving contest in which people are out to win. People should argue passionately but I do think that many members of the board, including myself, need to learn to listen to others with more of an open mind.

My 2 cents :D

It's important to remember that our userbase is self-selected for people who find things like punching babies and flipping off boxes of kittens hilarious.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Without the chat thread I would never be able to figure out which forumers were joking when they preface a response with "Listen up, you uncouth swine" and which ones were serious.

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    Gosh, I could've sworn I left that EE subforum right here. But now I find this identical D&D place where EE used to be. Where did EE go, bd?
    I destroyed it, because you loved it and the admin badge makes people go mad with misanthropy.

we need ot make Dyna an admin in that case

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Did Yar post in here and I missed it? Or did he give rise to this discussion and then not post?

_J_ on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I can't comment on the Phalla threads, because I don't participate. (although, like a sex-deprived freshman, I am curious...)

The chat threads serve a purpose. Not only do they foster community by being blatantly non-topical, they also give the D&D'ers a place to let off steam from other threads. A social coffee break. The virtual watercooler for Debate & Discourse. Without it, we'd probably be a whole lot crankier in the on-topic threads.

Each forum is run on it's own standards. If the mods decide that [chat] and/or Phalla has run it's course, they'll change the status-quo. Until then, decide for yourself if you'd like to participate in them.

Tach on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    [chat] thread is great. It builds the community. Allows people to know each other. Share jokes, talk about their lives, and so on. And it's covered by the second D.

Phalla is a forum game. People in a community like to play games once in a while. I don't see a problem with that.

If D&D has a problem, IMO, it would be people who take the debates too seriously, tear apart arguments and super-analyse them to an obsene degree. Just because an argument isn't taken straight from Bob's Guide to Classical Greek Debates doesn't mean you should destroy it, as opposed to answering it.

Also, LondonBridge and misc. trolls. And religious threads. So that's three problems we have.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    Did Yar post in here and I missed it? Or did he give rise to this discussion and then not post?
    He was talking about this in the chat thread, and then Dyna made his OP.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:
    [chat] thread is great. It builds the community. Allows people to know each other. Share jokes, talk about their lives, and so on. And it's covered by the second D.

Phalla is a forum game. People in a community like to play games once in a while. I don't see a problem with that.

If D&D has a problem, IMO, it would be people who take the debates too seriously, tear apart arguments and super-analyse them to an obsene degree. Just because an argument isn't taken straight from Bob's Guide to Classical Greek Debates doesn't mean you should destroy it, as opposed to answering it.

Also, LondonBridge and misc. trolls. And religious threads. So that's three problems we have.

Religion threads can be festering swamps of stupidity but there are occasionally good moments.

The other trolls do make for some sense of unity as they get pounded into the dirt. I did learn a lot about the engineering and physics behind skyscrapers as a result of the 9/11 conspiracy thread, so I count that as a victory :lol:

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I like dumb trolls because they are similar to people I meet in real life, and that means I can plagiarize all the smart people's responses.

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guys what should I have for breakfast?

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think chat threads are really important to build a community.

But I think D&D can be really, really insular. All the time I see the chat thread talking about some idiot posting in another thread, rather than confronting him directly, or talking about how bad G&T or SE++ sucks. And that isn't good.

As to that point I think moving Phalla into Of Dice & Men would be a really good move, just because it would force some of the people to interact with the rest of the Penny Arcade forum, which would be a good thing. Because subforums hating other subforums is dumb.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Guys what should I have for breakfast?

How 'bout a big hot steaming bowl of [spoiler:ac4a9f2265]oatmeal[/spoiler:ac4a9f2265]?

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I think chat threads are really important to build a community.

But I think D&D can be really, really insular. All the time I see the chat thread talking about some idiot posting in another thread, rather than confronting him directly, or talking about how bad G&T or SE++ sucks. And that isn't good.

As to that point I think moving Phalla into Of Dice & Men would be a really good move, just because it would force some of the people to interact with the rest of the Penny Arcade forum, which would be a good thing. Because subforums hating other subforums is dumb.
    Maybe have a sticky in D&D for one or two games. "LOOKING FOR PHALLA?"

It might even get some oD&M players over here. That would be cool.

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    It's important to remember that our userbase is self-selected for people who find things like punching babies and flipping off boxes of kittens hilarious.
    It's funny because when you said "punching babies" I cracked up, and then when you said "flipping off boxes of kittens", I cracked up.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    bone daddy wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:

Oh god, I worry about being asked to do that sometimes. It would be a beautiful disaster.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    With every Ying, there is a Yang.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:
    trolls do just as much to build community as anything else around here and should not be driven off. Oh god, how I love the truly brilliant ones.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    bone daddy wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:

Oh god, I worry about being asked to do that sometimes. It would be a beautiful disaster.

I have no worry of ever being asked to do that.

EVER.

_J_ on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    trolls do just as much to build community as anything else around here and should not be driven off. Oh god, how I love the truly brilliant ones.
    I don't like trolls because stupid raises my blood pressure. One of these days, a negatively awesome troll will give me a heart attack.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    bone daddy wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:

I have no worry of ever being asked to do that.

EVER.

Neither do we.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    But yes, it tends to slow things down, which is why there are supposed to be longer breaks between games.

Get out of here with your sensible compromise position.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:

I've been thinking about taking a vacation from D&D.

Might be just the thing.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    VishNub wrote:
    There's a clear difference in quality between any SE thread and the d&D chat thread, and it's not just that I don't know SE as well (At all). They're not the same thing, so equating them is stupid. Stop it.

The point isn't the quality of the chat threads. The point is that there's no reason to have a [chat] thread in D&D except for the "we like it!" argument.

Must there be a better reason than "we like it" and "it creates an environment we like"?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Shinto

why do I always think you're quoting Death of a Salesman whenever you say something depressing?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    VishNub wrote:
    There's a clear difference in quality between any SE thread and the d&D chat thread, and it's not just that I don't know SE as well (At all). They're not the same thing, so equating them is stupid. Stop it.

The point isn't the quality of the chat threads. The point is that there's no reason to have a [chat] thread in D&D except for the "we like it!" argument.

Must there be a better reason than "we like it" and "it creates an environment we like"?

Yes, and it must be demonstrated in symbolic logic. In Greek. With annotations and footnotes. In iambic pentameter.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    We can't have a chat thread in D&D because how do you win a chat thread?

Jinnigan on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Irond Will wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    VishNub wrote:

Presumably. Forum changes are not made because of poll results. So it seems like there is some structure in place which is not simply, "What do people like?"

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Poldy wrote:
    Shinto

why do I always think you're quoting Death of a Salesman whenever you say something depressing?

Because after all the highways, and the trains, and the appointments, and the years, you end up worth more dead than alive.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Richy wrote:
    I don't like trolls because stupid raises my blood pressure. One of these days, a negatively awesome troll will give me a heart attack.
    I have never met a person here or in real life that I could not drive to a coronary first. I'm sure somewhere in a remote village, there is a Tibetan boy that will out-prick me with a vengeance, but until that day arrives...

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    VishNub wrote:
    Presumably. Forum changes are not made because of poll results. So it seems like there is some structure in place which is not simply, "What do people like?"
    Having a chat thread isn't a change.

Not having a chat thread would be a change.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Shinto wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

I've been thinking about taking a vacation from D&D.

Might be just the thing.
    Yeah, you've sounded burnt out at times. I'm really glad Will came back, and if you take a break, don't forget about us or let it be for too long.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    _J_ wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    VishNub wrote:

It's one of the main inputs into the policy apparatus.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    All the time I see the chat thread talking about some idiot posting in another thread, rather than confronting him directly,
    You know why that is, right? Right? Please tell me you know why people do that.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Also, there's a ton of people who have 99% of their D&D posts in the chat thread.

I'm becoming one.

And the chat thread is sort of a debate thread. There's always some mini debate going on.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.