Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Batman comics

Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Graphic Violence
Talk about Batman in the Batman thread

Dick Grayson is an awesome Batman and I've read each issue of Batman & Robin like 10 times each because they're so great

Garlic Bread on
«13456762

Posts

  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    give me the lowdown on Tim Drake keith

    what have they down to our favorite Robin

    Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Agreed. I was disappointed with RIP, but man, Batman and Batman and Robin are fantastic.

    I hope they can get Red Robin up to muster... Tim is my favorite in the Bat-family and it pains me to see him ill-used.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Batman's pretty cool I guess.

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    give me the lowdown on Tim Drake keith

    what have they down to our favorite Robin

    Take Judd Winick's Jason Todd and then remove the whole killing people thing and you've got Red Robin!

    Like, so far, the story isn't terrible? But it's not Tim Drake at all in any way

    I'm hoping his guest appearance in Adventure Comics will be good. I was hoping that he'd be fine in Blackest Night: Batman, but he was worse!

    Dick calls him up like "Tim, it's Dick." and Tim goes "I told you to leave me alone" and I was like "wow someone's a thirteen year old mad at their parents"

    Garlic Bread on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    35btt6u.jpg

    Garlic Bread on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Don't talk to me, mom! I never want to see you again!

    DC does have a bit of a history with taking good characterization in the Bat people then kind of throwing it under the bus, eh?

    And oh my god Keith is that real

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's from an issue of Cassandra's Batgirl series, coincidentally

    Garlic Bread on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    give me the lowdown on Tim Drake keith

    what have they down to our favorite Robin

    Take Judd Winick's Jason Todd and then remove the whole killing people thing and you've got Red Robin!

    Like, so far, the story isn't terrible? But it's not Tim Drake at all in any way

    I'm hoping his guest appearance in Adventure Comics will be good. I was hoping that he'd be fine in Blackest Night: Batman, but he was worse!

    Dick calls him up like "Tim, it's Dick." and Tim goes "I told you to leave me alone" and I was like "wow someone's a thirteen year old mad at their parents"

    It's worse then that though. I mean, his whole "searching for Batman" thing is just so illogical and weird. I mean, he's just sitting there one second and decides Batman is alive for no apparent reason.

    It pretty much is exactly how Jason Todd would react to everything... and it is kind of frustrating.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Seriously. Batman and Robin is awesome. I don't know how much I'm gonna like it though when it flips to the other artist on Issue 4 (it is 4 right?). I love Quitely's art so so very much.

    Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    give me the lowdown on Tim Drake keith

    what have they down to our favorite Robin

    Take Judd Winick's Jason Todd and then remove the whole killing people thing and you've got Red Robin!

    Like, so far, the story isn't terrible? But it's not Tim Drake at all in any way

    I'm hoping his guest appearance in Adventure Comics will be good. I was hoping that he'd be fine in Blackest Night: Batman, but he was worse!

    Dick calls him up like "Tim, it's Dick." and Tim goes "I told you to leave me alone" and I was like "wow someone's a thirteen year old mad at their parents"

    It's worse then that though. I mean, his whole "searching for Batman" thing is just so illogical and weird. I mean, he's just sitting there one second and decides Batman is alive for no apparent reason.

    It pretty much is exactly how Jason Todd would react to everything... and it is kind of frustrating.

    Well, he has an actual clue now. And I think I read in an interview that he has a real reason for thinking it and that it will be revealed later?

    Which means "covering up our tracks"

    Garlic Bread on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    give me the lowdown on Tim Drake keith

    what have they down to our favorite Robin

    Take Judd Winick's Jason Todd and then remove the whole killing people thing and you've got Red Robin!

    Like, so far, the story isn't terrible? But it's not Tim Drake at all in any way

    I'm hoping his guest appearance in Adventure Comics will be good. I was hoping that he'd be fine in Blackest Night: Batman, but he was worse!

    Dick calls him up like "Tim, it's Dick." and Tim goes "I told you to leave me alone" and I was like "wow someone's a thirteen year old mad at their parents"

    It's worse then that though. I mean, his whole "searching for Batman" thing is just so illogical and weird. I mean, he's just sitting there one second and decides Batman is alive for no apparent reason.

    It pretty much is exactly how Jason Todd would react to everything... and it is kind of frustrating.

    Well, he has an actual clue now. And I think I read in an interview that he has a real reason for thinking it and that it will be revealed later?

    Which means "covering up our tracks"

    The whole book is like that, though.

    It's set in some sort of nonsense time where nothing really makes chronological sense.

    But, yeah. Pretty terrible. And some people were really impressed with it too, which is kind of sad.

    Also, I hadn't read any of the Cass Batgirl until today, but Batman was just like that every time he showed up.

    Was this the dreaded 90s/early 00s Batman that DC wanted to move away from with Infinite Crisis? Was he seriously like that in every book for just under two decades?

    HadjiQuest on
  • RingoRingo Stardust, Golden Caught in a Devil's BargainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How can he be like Jason Todd without the killing people? The sum totality of Jason's characterization was "I am really pissed off at Batman" and "I'm gonna kill people becaus it will piss off Batman"

    Ringo on
    ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You're forgetting the part where Jason Todd is rash, Ringo.

    He's rash.

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I rather liked Batgirl #1.
    Sure, like many of you, I hate the way Cassie was left by the side of the road, but the comic is not intrinsically bad. And at least they didn't kill her or make her evil again. She just left, leaving the costume behind, (which is not to say she'll give up crime fighting altogether). If Stephanie is really to become the next Batgirl, I want Cassie to be her teacher.

    Do we need spoiler tags?

    TeaSpoon on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    You're forgetting the part where Jason Todd is rash, Ringo.

    He's rash.

    Pretty much this.

    I was referring to Jason Todd as Robin. Not Jason Todd as... well, whatever he's become since his return.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    I rather liked Batgirl #1.
    Sure, like many of you, I hate the way Cassie was left by the side of the road, but the comic is not intrinsically bad. And at least they didn't kill her or make her evil again. She just left, leaving the costume behind, (which is not to say she'll give up crime fighting altogether). If Stephanie is really to become the next Batgirl, I want Cassie to be her teacher.

    Do we need spoiler tags?

    Is there some reason you wouldn't need to spoiler tag spoilers?

    DouglasDanger on
    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That page from Batgirl really is just splendid, Keith. Just splendid.

    Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    I rather liked Batgirl #1.
    Sure, like many of you, I hate the way Cassie was left by the side of the road, but the comic is not intrinsically bad. And at least they didn't kill her or make her evil again. She just left, leaving the costume behind, (which is not to say she'll give up crime fighting altogether). If Stephanie is really to become the next Batgirl, I want Cassie to be her teacher.

    Do we need spoiler tags?

    Eh, I thought it was pretty mediocre.
    The writer has a good handle on Steph but the way they handled Cass was terrible and his Oracle seemed to be pretty angsty. I don't really think the story was that great either.

    Also, to refute what Lucascraft said in the last thread, Cass' series did not sell poorly. It was her mini-series that sold like crap but there's a lot of reasons why that happened (they'd fucked her up for the previous 2 years, Batgirl fans hated Adam Beechen and the writing was absolute crap). The mini-series seemed to be set up to fail, just so Didio could justify getting rid of Cass.

    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • TexiKenTexiKen I'm strong! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This should be in every Batman thread:

    BatmanPVPcopy-1.jpg

    TexiKen on
    N4KAbo1.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen I'm strong! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, future issues of Batman and Robin should be more like this:

    nightwing251.jpg

    nigthwing252.jpg

    nightwing253.jpg

    And Chuck Dixon should come back and write something, but noooooo.

    TexiKen on
    N4KAbo1.png
  • Darth NatDarth Nat Registered User
    edited August 2009
    I sort of warmed up a little to the treatment of Cass after reading the interview with the writer on Newsarama.
    I guess it makes sense that she'd be feeling hurt and lost after being officially adopted into the family, only to have her father figure die shortly thereafter. I don't think it comes across well since only about three panels were devoted to this and there was no buildup since Cass was never featured in any of the "grieving Batfamily" books.

    Darth Nat on
  • TexiKenTexiKen I'm strong! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And Tim thought she was the coolest person ever. That no one in the family thought to help her with what happened (as lets be honest they're used to people dying all the damn time and coming back) kind of shows no one wanted to write about her.

    TexiKen on
    N4KAbo1.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak Way up inside your butthole, Morty. WAAAAY up inside there.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    35btt6u.jpg

    Geez Bruce, can't you let it go for five minutes?

    KalTorak on
  • revcomrevcom Registered User
    edited August 2009
    is there a worse name than Red Robin? Seriously man you grew up its time to maybe take a rediculous name that isn't also fast food joint

    maybe like the taco bell avenger

    or the noid

    revcom on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The old Batman thread already reach 100 pages? And I guess a Batman thread is fitting since there's like 8 different Bat books out now.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just read that interview with Miller that was posted in the last thread. Glad to see he'll be working Cassandra into the book. Cass and Stephanie are supposed to be really close friends, so I'm hoping for a lot of interaction there instead of just ignoring that Cass exists.

    I also have to say I've really been enjoying Dick Grayson as the new Batman. I've been reading Streets of Gotham and Batman and Robin and both have some excellent characterization. Damian is even growing on me a little bit and I hated the idea of him when he was first created.

    Also how has Detective Comics been? I dropped it when Dini left and I'm curious how it's been.

    Zaylenz on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    Also how has Detective Comics been? I dropped it when Dini left and I'm curious how it's been.

    Interesting, at least. The only time I've really enjoyed Rucka's writing was in 52, and so I was hoping to really love Batwoman & Renee in their own book. Unfortunately, I don't think it reads very well in singles.

    Maybe wait for trade on it, would be my suggestion. However, it should be noted that Batwoman and The Question will be flipping places occasionally, and that their stories will most likely be collected separately, so waiting for trades may be kind of shitty as well.

    HadjiQuest on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Detective Comics is great.

    Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Detective Comics is awesome and JH Williams is making the best art in comics

    Garlic Bread on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A pretty intense proclamation, but not unfounded in the least!

    Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm enjoying the art style of J.H. Williams, but I don't particularly care for some of his character designs. Specifically, I don't like his Kate Kane. This really hurts my opinion of the book since she's the main character.

    However, his character design of Alice is pretty great.

    The story itself has been good.

    Lucascraft on
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I greatly disliked Batgirl.

    I am LOVING Streets of Gotham, though.

    Tairu on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dan Didio wrote:
    There will be a Terry McGinnis mini-series early next year. We've heard the fans, we've heard everyone's interest. And right now we're planning to put out a Batman Beyond mini-series in 2010.

    Garlic Bread on
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    and then it sells 15,000 copies and they kill Terry off

    Rans on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    35btt6u.jpg

    If your hormones are kicking in when you're 18, you may have a hormone problem

    Langly on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I decided to start reading Batman books. I've caught a few issues here and there, and loved the crap out of TAS, but never actually read the comics all hardcore like I should have. Batgirl, Batman and Robin, and Gotham City Sirens are cool so far. Are there any other books that I should be adding to my list?

    spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Streets of Gotham is worth picking up. Its written by Paul Dini and illustrated by Dustin Nguyen. The story is basically a continuation of the Heart of Hush storyline from Detective Comics.

    Lucascraft on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not having read any Batman books, I wanted to focus on the new titles or reboots.

    spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Streets of Gotham is brand new. Detective Comics, starring Batwoman, is a "reboot" in the way that it's a (relatively) new character and new stories in an old book. It doesn't really require any previous reading and it's the most gorgeous book.

    Garlic Bread on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not having read any Batman books, I wanted to focus on the new titles or reboots.

    Still, you really should read some of the Batman trades from just before Battle for the Cowl, specifically Morrison's run on Batman. Otherwise, when Morrison starts referencing stuff like Batman #666 and Batman RIP, you won't have a clue what's going on.

    Also, awesome news about a Batman Beyond book but I'm not keeping my hopes up. They're bound to fuck something up, like getting someone that's not Paul Dini to write it.

    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
«13456762
This discussion has been closed.