Options

The Lord [CHAT]berlain's Men

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DeeLock wrote: »
    I should stop eating these cupcakes then...

Or keep eating them and hit that niche market.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I know what you mean about other students with debt. Radar goes to the same school I do. I live in the same apartment with him, which we both took out the same amount of money for. But since he is out of state, his loans are THREE TIMES what mine are, fuhq!

Charis on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Charis wrote: »
    Man, I know what you mean about other students with debt. Radar goes to the same school I do. I live in the same apartment with him, which we both took out the same amount of money for. But since he is out of state, his loans are THREE TIMES what mine are, fuhq!

Christ, that's bad. D: I had no idea out-of-state prices could be that bad, comparatively.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    We go to Massart, which is the only state funded fine art shool. There's a Massachusetts rate, a New England rate, and a no bonus rate. Radar gets no bonus, and I get the Mass rate, so it's a crazy difference for the exact same schooling. Exact same major!

Charis on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Did you guys not have any luck with scholarships or anything?

I knew it would be a terrible amount of debt but I guess I didn't think about it in real terms.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Scholarship advice is, try for something local. To win a national scholarship you have to be the valedictorian, practically. Look for ones hosted by your town or your county, and even accruing a few small ones is better than nothing. I got a 700 annual one, and I know a few people who got similar. Even a few people who have gotten them through their college in their second year of school. Some schools offer them to you, even. I was offered something around 11,000 from one school (they were still too expensive though.) You just have to look.

Charis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alright, well thanks a lot guys. :)

DeeLock on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Also: is there a reason why drinking coffee seems to actually brighten up my mood? Lately, when I've drunk enough coffee to have the energy effects...I've also felt much happier, more motivated, and more optimistic. What the hell? I seriously doubt this is some psychosomatic effect. Does this happen to anybody else, or do you guys just get the whole "boost of energy" thing? I'm not a very experienced coffee drinker, so I dunno.

I try to stay away from coffee now because when I have a cup, I can't help but guzzle it down because that's how I drink. Then I do the same thing with like 2-3 more cups and I get all jittery. Not long after that my chest starts to feel weird like it's going to seize up.

I do like me some coffee though, when I smell it roasting I start salivating.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty pumped and motivated after my first cup (but it has to be ground, instant has zero effect on me), but when I roll onto a second in under two hours I get a bit dizzy. So I generally just keep it to one in the morning.

Mustang on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Moderation is for pansies.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Alright, well thanks a lot guys. :)

yeah, I completely agree with Charis. Don't even bother with the national ones, heh....and definitely look at the amount of scholarships the schools offer (and how much that would take out of tuition+living expenses), how many students receive scholarships, and/or how easy it would be to get one.

*** and as mentioned, though I got one, my school takes 30% of a scholarship away for living off-campus, which is complete bullshit. Just be sure to check any fine print on the scholarship thing, too - required GPA, on/off-campus, any extra work/requirements that are necessary to maintain it, etc.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    coffee
    coffee

Man, you guys have bad reactions to caffiene OD. D: I never really get anything too bad - maybe slightly shaking hands, and a slightly increased heartbeat.

Dizziness and/or chest pressure would freak me out though. I've tried an inhaler a handful of times in my life, but I stopped, because I absolutely hated how it made me feel like I was on the verge of having a heart attack. Racing heartbeat, shaky hands....augh. Luckily I don't have full-on asthma, just some light exercise-induced stuff...so an inhaler isn't really a requirement for me.

But caffiene? No reactions that intense (save for this bizarre feeling of elation).

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    *** and as mentioned, though I got one, my school takes 30% of a scholarship away for living off-campus, which is complete bullshit. Just be sure to check any fine print on the scholarship thing, too - required GPA, on/off-campus, any extra work/necessity required to maintain it, etc.

Ah, that's bullshit, that is. Do you get loans for your off-campus living expense?

Charis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Charis wrote: »
    *** and as mentioned, though I got one, my school takes 30% of a scholarship away for living off-campus, which is complete bullshit. Just be sure to check any fine print on the scholarship thing, too - required GPA, on/off-campus, any extra work/necessity required to maintain it, etc.

Ah, that's bullshit, that is. Do you get loans for your off-campus living expense?

Yeah, in a way...I have Stafford loans, and my parents have switched off on taking out PLUS loans for me. The PLUS loans are the large loans, and that covers the other half of tuition my scholarship doesn't cover, as well as all my other miscellaneous expenses.

It's funny, actually, you can use the PLUS loan for almost anythign school-related (and not, really - how the hell would they find out?)....including paying loan payments you already have, which is such a ridiculous idea (ridiculous in the fact that you would need a loan to cover payments on a previous school loan). Blagrhagh

But yeah, I'm loanin' it up. Unfortunately that's the only way I would've been able to go to school, at all. :\

NightDragon on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The American education system is a piece of shit, I swear.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's better than ours, well I should quantify that, you're teachers are better than ours. Seriously you guys have access to some of the greatest minds in the world, I for one think that's pretty damn cool.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My school at least offers a 13,000 yearly loan for those living off campus to pay their rent with. Granted, you have to go cheap, cheap, cheap, but still, I would call shenanigans on your school, ND. That's malarkey.

Charis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The American education system is a piece of shit, I swear.

I can't wait to be reborn as cabbage.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cabbages know whats going on in this world

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    It's better than ours, well I should quantify that, you're teachers are better than ours. Seriously you guys have access to some of the greatest minds in the world, I for one think that's pretty damn cool.

At the expense of thrusting an exorbitantly large amount of students into debt and further crippling the possibilities of an even larger amount of people from ever even considering the possibility of higher education. Woo!

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Loom wrote:
    cabbages know whats going on in this world

They sure do, they're consipring with the carrots to create a new world order, shit goes deep.

EDIT: It's pretty well much the same the world over Bear. Education for the rich, because the poor are just too stupid.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wait, what? No, not at all. I'm talking about even lower-middle/middle-class class families being unable to afford college because it is FUCKING HUGELY EXPENSIVE. If you go to Europe it is FUCKING HUGELY FREE. This is not me saying we should adopt the European system (like you said, we have some of the best minds in the world), but the way everything currently works is goddamn retarded.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I get more annoyed by the priority that english and math hold, especially because I am awful at english and how little the classes has helped meeeeeeeeeee

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ehh okay, I'll conceded that having to take out massive loans from banks is pretty fucked up. Here, you get a goverment loan that you have to pay back when you start earning over 45K a year, so that's a lot better, but definately not free. So europeans don't have to pay anything?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It was my understanding that a lot of Europeans are paid to go to some colleges to further education. True, it isn't the same as our system in America in standards of education. But, you know, it's also not 40,000....

Charis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    I get more annoyed by the priority that english and math hold, especially because I am awful at english and how little the classes has helped meeeeeeeeeee

If you seriously want to get better at English, man, read the hell out of books. Read a book that challenges your current reading level. Then read more books. Learning what a predicate/clause/preopsition/etc. is will probably not help you too much with English. I don't really think English classes have ever done a damn thing for me. Reading books, however, certainly has.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Welp I'm kicking it with my second cup of joe now, let's see if I start to get freaky.

I concur, every english lesson I ever took did nothing for my comprehension. Tam kicking my arse has probably done more.
    Reading books is always good, though lately I've started feeling guilty reading non-art books when I could be reading art-books.

Mustang on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Reading is pretty much the best thing you can do for your brain

especially when you're young

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I use to read allll the time when I was little

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So did I. Now I don't and I need to find a way to get my nose into more books.

Tam on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    Tam wrote: »

Read while taking a dump.

You can't tell me you can't do that, unless you're telling me you don't take dumps- in which case I'd say that you'd have to be either metaphorically or literally full of shit.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I excrete poop out from my eyes and skin

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Man, I read all the time. I could read at work this summer, and in the eight weeks I was there I read 17 novels. I was fecking pumped.

Charis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I used to read a hell of a lot. Now I don't read all that often. It makes me sad. :(

I would really love to read something that is just really, ridiculously challenging. I think I avoid this kind of reading during school, though, because I kinda feel it'd be a mental overload. The books I've read while going to school aren't very intense.

It's interesting how art can be mentally exhausting, sometimes!

I also think that my mental interests have shifted a bit over the past few years. I think I read the most at the tail-end of middle school, and throughout high school. I think now, I'm more focussed on learning art-related things, and reading something for the purpose of learning, rather than reading for the purpose of challenging my comprehension of concepts...(which is what I think I'm looking for when I say "challenging reads"). It's been a long time since I've read a book like that.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Read while taking a dump.

You can't tell me you can't do that, unless you're telling me you don't take dumps- in which case I'd say that you'd have to be either metaphorically or literally full of shit.

I already do that. Even then, I'm only halfway through A Brief History of Time. Granted- it's a lot to digest.

I need to get more organized to manage my time better. And order a hell of a lot of classics in paperback- I haven't even read Catch 22, for crying out loud.
    I would really love to read something that is just really, ridiculously challenging.

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

I haven't read it, but to paraphrase someone in D&D- it's easier to digest if you just eat the damn book.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm reading LotR for the first time since like...middle school.

It's much better now that I'm not an idiot.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tam wrote:
    I already do that. Even then, I'm only halfway through A Brief History of Time. Granted- it's a lot to digest.

That's in my collection of half finished books, it's good, but I just didn't have the energy to process it. I prefer my Hawking in discovery channel form with lots of idiot proof explanations and simple graphics.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

I haven't read it, but to paraphrase someone in D&D- it's easier to digest if you just eat the damn book.

:shock: What the hell. After reading a few reviews on that book, I'm not sure that's the type of "challenging" I'm looking for. It's got so many esoteric references from pop culture/history/science/whatever that somebody wrote a guide for it? Cripes. It looks like - while inarguably challenging - the difficulty in reading that book comes primarily from the convoluted way it's written.

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of books that get really involved with philosophical/scientific musings, and the like. I remember one of my friends suggesting I read Kant. I never have, but that may be more along the lines of what I was thinking. No idea, though. I am out of the literary loop.

Maybe if I had ever read the type of book that I'm thinking of, I could use it as a reference for finding similar things.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    I always feel guilty when I go out of my way to read something of actual merit and find myself bored starting out. Even though I always read a lot as a kid, I think I've been corrupted by not being forced to enjoy literature at a real deep level, or real books about history- both things I, in theory, would like to enjoy- but instead I just read a lot of Michael Crichton, Robert Ludlum, and Dave Berry books.

On one hand it's a shame, on the other hand if Dickens was such a damn genius, why didn't he inject his social commentary into a novel about a hard-hitting spy trying to break a ring of Neo-Nazi terrorists looking to clone dinosaurs in order to take over the world, whilst quipping about how "Terrorist Clone Dinosaurs" would be a good name for a rock band?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I should write a book

Loomdun on
    splat
This discussion has been closed.