Options

OSX Snow Leopard: Out Today, Brings the 'snappy'

• Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had a few kernel panics on my old PPC Mac with Snow Leopard. They were all caused by kernel extensions from various old things (PCI TV Tuner). I went in and deleted them and haven't seen one since.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wait. How? Snow Leopard is Intel only.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, there is no way under the sun you are running "snow" leopard on your ppc. Are you perhaps thinking of leopard?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    leopard is intel only as well.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    No. It is not. You are incorrect.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    leopard is intel only as well.

Imagine I posted a picture of Kevin Spacey from the recent superman flick yelling WRONG!

I would do it, but it's too much effort from the iPhone browser.

Needless to say, WRONG!

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    15i2sgh.jpg
    Leopard has certain requirements, like a G4 and FireWire, but it does not work only on Intel.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    wirespeedwirespeed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Snow Leopard may run on the PPC platform (I have no reason to think you're making up that photo), but it is for certain not supported to run on that platform.

Leopard was not Intel only.

wirespeed on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    wirespeed wrote: »
    Snow Leopard may run on the PPC platform (I have no reason to think you're making up that photo), but it is for certain not supported to run on that platform.

no, Snow Leopard doesn't. Leopard does.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Monoxide wrote: »

no, Snow Leopard doesn't. Leopard does.

Isn't that what I just said?

Anyway, according to Apple's website:
    General requirements

Mac computer with an Intel processor
    1GB of memory
    5GB of available disk space
    DVD drive for installation
    Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may apply.
    Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

wirespeed on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Except that saying Snow Leopard "may" run on PPC is like saying that if you e-mail Steve Jobs and ask him super-nicely he "may" give you a blow job. The OS X dev team has stated that they still make PPC builds internally, but short of a very close friend working in Cupertino and some well-greased palms you've got pretty much no chance of getting your hands on it. And I'd love to see you try to get the Intel build to run on PPC hardware.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jasoco wrote: »
    No. It is not. You are incorrect.

Sorry, I assumed he was talking about a laptop for some reason.

Leopard didn't work on some of the G4 laptops which didn't have a fast enough processor. As I had one of those laptops I always forget that it did work on some ppcs.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Except that saying Snow Leopard "may" run on PPC is like saying that if you e-mail Steve Jobs and ask him super-nicely he "may" give you a blow job. The OS X dev team has stated that they still make PPC builds internally, but short of a very close friend working in Cupertino and some well-greased palms you've got pretty much no chance of getting your hands on it. And I'd love to see you try to get the Intel build to run on PPC hardware.
    You misunderstood me. I work for a fairly prominent tech company. We sell a combination of hardware and software. Occasionally, customers want to do things with the software that we don't allow. If the customer chooses to do that, they're on their own.

The 'may' in my statement was in no way an endorsement. I personally think if you're running anything but the latest version of Leopard on a PPC, you're kind of silly. I also think people who are hell-bend on running OS X 10.6 on PPCs (or PCs for that matter) are kind of silly. It MAY run on a PPC/PC, but pony up and get an Intel Mac.

wirespeed on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The kernel and all the libraries have absolutely no code in them for that architecture any more. It was removed, which is one of the primary reasons the install frees up 10-15gb of space.

Saying 10.6 running on a ppc is silly is like saying a hot air balloon will fly when you fire liquid aluminum into the balloon is silly. Of course it's silly, cause it won't work.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I had a few kernel panics on my old PPC Mac with Snow Leopard. They were all caused by kernel extensions from various old things (PCI TV Tuner). I went in and deleted them and haven't seen one since.

Apologies, I meant Leopard. I meant to draw a connection between new OS upgrade kernel panics and a past experience I had with 3rd party kernel extensions and upgrading my PPC Mac to 10.5.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Actually, apologies here too. I looked at the picture that Jasoco posted and for some reason I thought it said 10.6 on a PPC. I figured it was *possible* that someone had gotten a hacked version of SL to run on PPC. I'm glad to see that's not the case. SL will NOT run on PPC! Sorry for *my* confusion.

wirespeed on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone else having issues with Safari 4.03 on 10.5.8? I have been having issues for the last few weeks - slow load times/processing takes ages for things that shouldn't or didn't take that long and also crashes every couple of days.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Leopard could run on G4's but not G3's but they had to be a certain speed first. Like I think 700MHz at the least. But it wouldn't run on a G3 no matter what. It was the first OS to dump the G3. While Snow Leopard is the first one to dump PPC all together including the G5.

SL will not work on a PPC for the single reason that nothing in the OS has a PowerPC binary at all.

Just to clear all the confusion up. My screenshot was taken from my Mac mini G4 which will sadly not run 10.6 so it is at the end of its lifespan. But it still runs Leopard like a trooper and will serve all my files and media until the day I replace it.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I've been getting random crashes in Safari on anything with lots of Javascript. Youtube and Facebook are big crashers, maybe a few times a week but those few times seem to be grouped pretty tightly (about 30 minutes apart), which is weird.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The problem is FaceBook is extremely JavaScript heavy. It even runs JS after load to update the times on the page, check for updates to display a notice, it's constantly running. But it's so full of JS it's becoming unstable. I even get wrong results on my News Feed once in a while. And was getting "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page" messages in Firefox when simply reloading the page (Which is NOT changing the page for the love of Mike!) which was getting so damn annoying. It seems to have stopped as have the wrong post retrieval's but still.

FaceBook Lite doesn't do this stuff though so...

Jasoco on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've been getting random crashes in Safari on anything with lots of Javascript. Youtube and Facebook are big crashers, maybe a few times a week but those few times seem to be grouped pretty tightly (about 30 minutes apart), which is weird.

That rings true with my experience too. I've decided to give Opera 10 a try for a couple of weeks then decide whether or not to primarily use it, Firefox or Safari

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    alright, so after about two weeks of using Snow Leopard, I've seen more kernel panics than I had in the past two years using Tiger and Leopard, and I think there may just be a correlation here.

so: what's the best way to get a clean install on this thing? I have a time machine backup. should I just reinstall SL from scratch, and select "restore from time machine backup" or whatever during the install process? would this even help? I also have a Windows 7 partition I'd like to hold onto, but if that needs to be wiped as well I'd be okay with that.
    As far as doing a clean install, it's rather simple, just insert the SL disc, and choose the install OS X option. You'll be prompted to reboot. When you see a menu bar with 'Utilities' as an option, select the Disk Utility and Erase the Mac partition. Then install SL to that partition Toward the end of the install, you'll be asked if you want to migrate any data from anywhere. You can then connect your external drive, or to a network drive and restore from Time Machine if you choose to.

You'll ultimately be able to pick and choose what you restore, with one exception. If you restore anything under your user account, you'll also be restoring your Library directory, and your keychain.
    Thanks, that's very helpful. I wasn't aware that it asked if you wanted to migrate data over, and it sounds like that's the best thing for me to do here.
    If you believe whatever issue your having is related to this, you might want to skip the migration assistant during install, and simply mount your time machine backup and navigate into it and manually copy and paste your data into your documents, music, etc. folders. This will give you the option to redo everything from scratch.
    I honestly have no idea where the issue's coming from, or even if it is SL at fault: it mostly panics when I bring it out of sleep mode, or occasionally when I'm unmounting a drive. Once it panicked while I was trying to quicklook an email attachment. It's not very reproducible, and my Mac had been having intermittent problems waking from sleep before I installed SL. (Though it never actually crashed.)

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I finally got around to installing Snow Leopard on my rev. A Macbook Pro (2006). I partitioned for Boot Camp and threw the Windows 7 RC (Build 7100) on the Windows partition.

The problem:

My laptop won't read the Snow Leopard disc while booted in to Windows 7, so I can't install the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers. I tested my Snow Leopard DVD in my Dell laptop which is running Windows 7 RC and it wouldn't read the DVD either, however, I don't know if that laptop can read dual layer DVDs.

I was able to install the Boot Camp 2.0 drivers from my Leopard DVD, but I'd really like to stay current with 3.0 drivers. Has anyone else run in to this problem?

Edit: Nevermind, I fixed it.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i have a weird issue with my trackpad with snow leopard. sometime going into expose/show desktop freaks out and it won't stick open or shut. kind of like if you pull down a window shade but the locking mech is busted so it just winds back up again.

it doesn't happen all the time but when it does it is annoying.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mts wrote: »
    i have a weird issue with my trackpad with snow leopard. sometime going into expose/show desktop freaks out and it won't stick open or shut. kind of like if you pull down a window shade but the locking mech is busted so it just winds back up again.

it doesn't happen all the time but when it does it is annoying.

It's not just you; this happens to me, and there are a couple of YouTube videos showing this behaviour as well. There doesn't seem to be any particular catalyst, but it doesn't happen when activating Exposé from the keyboard - only using the gesture. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon, as I've grown inordinately fond of using multitouch.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's a bug in the gesture recognition. Well, not a bug, but a conceptual problem. To just activate exposé, your hand should be moving AS you lift up.

What's happening is you slide up, and once the animation goes, it ends the gesture and starts listening for another. This is so you can slide up, look at exposé, and slide back down in one neat movement. The side effect is that when you slide, pause, and lift up your hand, it reads the motion from your hand as you lift it as a second gesture and toggles exposé back off. Apple will just have to come up with some kind of deadzone or rethink how it works.

So if you put down four fingers, drag down, pause, then lift your hand, it'll spring back half the time. If you lift your hand on the way down, like a flick, it'll go every time.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yea I get this too once in a while, it's a pain in the ass. What I usually do to fix it is just end up doing the 4 finger swipe in the opposite direction, and that seems to put it back to normal.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2009
    I ordered a new (well, refurbished) 15" MacBook Pro yesterday and it's coming in today and I'm wondering what's the best way to get my stuff from my current MacBook to the new one. Is there a way to get all my keychains over to it?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Keith wrote: »
    I ordered a new (well, refurbished) 15" MacBook Pro yesterday and it's coming in today and I'm wondering what's the best way to get my stuff from my current MacBook to the new one. Is there a way to get all my keychains over to it?

Migration Assistant! It is a very handy piece of software.

Linden on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hey does anyone know of an on demand type anti-virus scanner similar to Housecall that you can use on a mac running snow leopard? i have avira on my boot camp partition but it won't scan network drives

on a side note if i was to put a virus scanner on the mac partiition would that conflict with the windows one?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited October 2009
    Linden wrote: »

Migration Assistant! It is a very handy piece of software.

Every time I try to do it, it freezes on "preparing information" and then my old Macbook says the network timed out

I'm doing it via ethernet (and tried with AirPort, too). I'll see if I can find a firewire cable, but I know I've only ever had one and that was like 6 years ago

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You can also do it with a Time Machine backup which incidentally works great in Snow Leopard.

wirespeed on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They released time machine one OS too early.

It works FLAWLESSLY and quickly in snow leopard... couldn't say the same about 10.5.x

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It works as advertised flawlessly, but there is definitely a feature I'd like to see added. I'd love the ability to control time ranges for when the backups occur. It would be great if I could say backup only from 10PM to 6AM or something like that. As well as it works, sometimes I'd prefer if it didn't backup during my peak work hours.

wirespeed on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My external HDD isn't as big as my MacBook's, so I can't do a full Time Machine back up. Most of it is my music, which is all I really have backed up, so if I move the music from the old computer to the new one and then clear off the external, is there any way I can use Time Machine to back everything else up? Without messing things up, of course

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, what about just dragging and dropping between the two?

I mean, I know I can get my files easily that way, but what about application settings and keychains? Would that work?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How does Time Machine effect your external HDD? Does it consume the entire thing for itself? I have one external drive to share between my OS X and Windows partitions, and need to be able to use it with both. If I set up time machine to back up to that drive, will I still be able to just drag random shit into it from windows as well?

Kris on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I mean, I know I can get my files easily that way, but what about application settings and keychains? Would that work?
    You could absolutely do a hybrid...

1. Do a time machine backup of your old Mac, but exclude your Music/Documents/Movies folders (and whatever else makes sense).
    2. Use Migration assistant on the new Mac to do a full restore which should import your user account, preferences, keychains, bookmarks, calendar, contacts, etc.
    3. Share the folders you didn't backup on the old Mac, and drag and drop to your new Mac's appropriate folders.

Good luck!

wirespeed on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kris wrote: »
    How does Time Machine effect your external HDD? Does it consume the entire thing for itself? I have one external drive to share between my OS X and Windows partitions, and need to be able to use it with both. If I set up time machine to back up to that drive, will I still be able to just drag random shit into it from windows as well?
    TM will consume available space until there's none available, and then start deleting the oldest backups to make room for new backed up data. If you're concerned, you could put two separate partitions (one for Windows and one for TM) to make it impossible for TM to consume all available space on the external drive.

wirespeed on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Use the Migration assistant.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar