As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TF2] The Anthology Edition

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All right, so I just have a general question.

I don't play too often, but when I do, I'm consistently getting raped by spies and pyros.

I see some servers advertising that they're 'pyro free,' so it at least seems like a common hatred, but it is? They just seem like too much.

Is there some secret?

See pyro, backpedal and shoot. Best way to make a pryo lose a fight is force him to chase people down.

All classes can beat a pyro, assuming they play their cards perfectly. You just need the experience to know how to turn class features into a strength.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Except for that whole "arena_" on the front of it. There's a reason the PA arena server is always empty.
    Yea, cause people would like to play variety.

Not everyone wants to join an empty arena only server when there's 22/24 in the drama server with gpit.

Seriously, arena isn't that bad, stop being babies.

And yet arena popping up on jon's or job's is the fastest way to clean the place out.

Arena: kills servers dead.

xzzy on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is it crying if you feel that, while justified in taking action, Valve didn't handle this in the best way?
    It is crying if you don't suck Valve's cock because let's be honest here, who gives a tearless blowjob anymore?

QED.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wish CTF maps would show up on the rotation more often.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ravine? Is that an official map?

Because I honestly don't think I've ever played it.

Hell, I don't think I've even heard of it until just now.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I don't play too often, but when I do, I'm consistently getting raped by spies and pyros.

I see some servers advertising that they're 'pyro free,' so it at least seems like a common hatred, but it is? They just seem like too much.

Is there some secret?

Pyro free? Seriously? LOL

What class are you playing most often? For spies, you just need to keep moving and check your six more often. You'll eventually get a feel for people who are acting weird who are really spies. It also helps to communicate with your team. It's much easier to spot spies if people call them out. Shoot your friends. Chances are one of them is a spy. As a pyro this is your #1 priority.

Killing pyros shouldn't be too hard if you don't run headlong into every battle. They have a limited range so keep your distance.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is it crying if you feel that, while justified in taking action, Valve didn't handle this in the best way?

short answer: yes

long answer:
    yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssss

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ravine? Is that an official map?

Because I honestly don't think I've ever played it.

Hell, I don't think I've even heard of it until just now.

Yes, Ravine is a Valve made map and was among the first Arena maps.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    davincie wrote: »
    El Guaco wrote: »
    There's that one map they introduced with Arena that I think I played only once. I don't think it's on any of the PA servers. That's how much Arena sucks in general. Entire maps go to waste.

Ravine? Cause its a good map.

Except for that whole "arena_" on the front of it. There's a reason the PA arena server doesnt exist anymore.
    I suppose that explains why it doesn't show up on my favorites list anymore.

It's still in the OP though!

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    it really irks me that some maps and gametypes have been more or less blacklisted

I'd like to play them, if only for variety's sake

hell, is ravine even on job's?

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    it really irks me that some maps and gametypes have been more or less blacklisted

it is but it never comes up on the mapvote

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    well we need to get it in there, then

who is it who manages the voting system, again?

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I've just labelled it futile, people who play 30 hrs get 4 hats, yet people who have 500+ hours of playtime, plus another 100+ hrs offline are stuck with nothing.

Just play the damn game, if you get a hat, you get a hat.

Now hopefully most will learn.
    prob not though..
    I don't know how you can say "hopefully most will learn" when after/during this fiasco Valve has now increased the drop chance to be much more palatable. Hopefully most will learn that Valve's original drop chances sucked ass?
    prob not though..

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ShrikeTheAvatarShrikeTheAvatar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

See pyro, backpedal and shoot. Best way to make a pryo lose a fight is force him to chase people down.

All classes can beat a pyro, assuming they play their cards perfectly. You just need the experience to know how to turn class features into a strength.

I have kind of gotten the hang of that when playing medic.. just run and hop around for a while until the person I'm healing kills them, since the healing will counteract the flames - for them at least.

Anyway, I have tried Pyro but it's just a little too mindless for me - I really prefer medic.

ShrikeTheAvatar on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »

it is but it never comes up on the mapvote

That's... stupid.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Why valve is wrong:
    Due to us not having a policy in place prior to today, this time we're only removing the items earned through cheating the system.

So they had no policy on this so instead of changing the policy and telling everyone they decide to change the policy then punish everyone with an extremely poorly implemented fix.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lots of people have thought about MIRV grenades, but I haven't seen any ideas for a MIRV sticky launcher instead, so here goes:

Your new gun fires a big, fat sticky bomb. When you right click, this explodes with a little teeny whimper into three mini-stickies that attach to nearby walls/ceiling/nutsacks. Right clicking while they are deployed detonates the three of them, each with a pretty good-sized explosion (each one slightly stronger than a regular sticky bomb). You can only have two fatties, one fat and three minis, or six minis out at a given time. Firing a third fattie does not detonate the oldest fattie/set of triplets, but instead fizzles them out.

Cons - sticky jumping with the big bomb is useless, and you lose a lot of health jumping using the mini-stickies. Also any sort of quick, close-quarters defense and/or escape using stickies is basically impossible. Additional delay between detting the fattie and then detting the minis means traps have to be better anticipated or hidden.

Pros - The mini-stickies do more damage and cannot be destroyed. They roll easily though.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Is there some secret?

Spies and pyros are the 2 classes that rely on sneaking up to you. For spies, its just a matter of keeping a suspicious eye on teammates making a beeline for you, while for pyros its just keeping aware. Countless hours of playing as medic has pretty much indoctrinated me to the point where I'm constantly checking my blind spots. I still get backstabbed from time to time, but now I'm at least making the spies work for it.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I have kind of gotten the hang of that when playing medic.. just run and hop around for a while until the person I'm healing kills them, since the healing will counteract the flames - for them at least.

Anyway, I have tried Pyro but it's just a little too mindless for me - I really prefer medic.
    Medic with the blutsauger will absolutely rape a pyro. Learn to lead the needles and it's no contest. If the pyro runs straight at you.. he's basically giving you a free kill.

Dealing with spies as a medic is easy. Go to advanced options and turn on the click-to-heal and just jump around and do 180 turns every couple seconds. Unless they're a really good spy, they won't be able to surprise you. If you turn around often enough, they'll give up and look for easier prey.

xzzy on
  • Options
    GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Why valve is wrong:
    Due to us not having a policy in place prior to today, this time we're only removing the items earned through cheating the system.

So they had no policy on this so instead of changing the policy and telling everyone they decide to change the policy then punish everyone with an extremely poorly implemented fix.

I'll agree that charging all idlers as cheaters Ex post facto was a questionable move for Valve, but try to look on the bright side. At least they weren't able to foist that silly-looking halo upon you.

Gaffero on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Ironic. Whenever I play medic, I'm usually just playing on pure instinct (heal mans, check my back every 2 seconds, dodge rockets) while as Pyro, I gotta be sneaky and plan how I'm going to pop up behind the enemy when they least expect it.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Is there some secret?

What class are you playing most often? For spies, you just need to keep moving and check your six more often. You'll eventually get a feel for people who are acting weird who are really spies. It also helps to communicate with your team. It's much easier to spot spies if people call them out. Shoot your friends. Chances are one of them is a spy. As a pyro this is your #1 priority.

Killing pyros shouldn't be too hard if you don't run headlong into every battle. They have a limited range so keep your distance.

You know what sucks? When a real teammate's acting suspiciously and you're watching them or going after them to spycheck, and the spy is actually right behind you.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ebotastic wrote: »

Is there some secret?

You know what sucks? When a real teammate's acting suspiciously and you're watching them or going after them to spycheck, and the spy is actually right behind you.

this. if you see a medic watching you and they start to attack you, just fire something once just to let them know youre not a spy. i fucking hate people that let me break off healing and try to kill them only to run past me and never stop acting suspicious

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I sometimes purposely imitate a spy to keep my team mates on their toes.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, KOTH is about the best thing to happen to TF2 since payload.

Now they just need an oddball variant.

Science or whatever it's called?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think the only interesting part about the whole idler fiasco is that after you take into account that 10,000 people were running the idler at any one time, it only accounted for 4.5% of the total TF2 population. I didn't think 10,000 people even played the game, but if you do the maths, that means there's a minimum of 220,000 tuftooers out there (the number goes up depending how many unique idlers there were).

xzzy on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the only interesting part about the whole idler fiasco is that after you take into account that 10,000 people were running the idler at any one time, it only accounted for 4.5% of the total TF2 population. I didn't think 10,000 people even played the game, but if you do the maths, that means there's a minimum of 220,000 tuftooers out there (the number goes up depending how many unique idlers there were).

We have said this before, it counts all of the people who bought the orange box, obviously not all of them played TF2 and not all of the people who played TF2 still play it.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    Yeah, KOTH is about the best thing to happen to TF2 since payload.

Now they just need an oddball variant.

Science or whatever it's called?

I was thinking more like a stack of hats that one person on the team gets to wear, and it's the job of his teammates to protect him. It's the job of the enemy to kill him, and take the stack of hats for themselves.

Basically, KOTH with a moving hill.

xzzy on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    I wish CTF maps would show up on the rotation more often.

What is this CTF you speak of?
    [/sarcasm]

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I sometimes purposefully [strike]heal[/strike] uber enemy spies to keep my teammates on their toes.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

We have said this before, it counts all of the people who bought the orange box, obviously not all of them played TF2 and not all of the people who played TF2 still play it.

That's not how I read valve's blog post. They called it the "TF2 community", so I took it to mean that the 4.5% is a portion of the people who actually play the game.

But I guess in the absence of more detailed numbers it could go either way.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I sometimes purposefully [strike]heal[/strike] uber enemy spies to keep my teammates on their toes.

Medics should lose 10 points every time they get an assist with an enemy spy.

xzzy on
  • Options
    davinciedavincie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That's not how I read valve's blog post. They called it the "TF2 community", so I took it to mean that the 4.5% is a portion of the people who actually play the game.

It's marketing, your not going to say as a company by how much the people playing your game have decreased.

davincie on
    20qx2bp.jpg
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    probably just to make it not seem that big of a deal.

Fuga on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Look at their stats for the achievements. Some of the incredibly simple achievements have a fairly low percentage.

Only about 30% of the playerbase has gotten the achievement for getting an uber ready during setup, for example. I'd have a hard time believing that it doesn't count everyone who has ever played TF2 for even just one minute.

It's not too much of a stretch to think that the 4.5% is taken via the same manner.

Slicer on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    22.5% of tf2 owners have gotten the first medic milestone
    26.1% have gotten the first pyro milestone.
    20.8% for 1st heavy
    11.2% for 1st scout

sniper and spy arent listed, but is anyone else seeing a trend?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I should do this in hopes of making my team tire of spy checking so the next time I play them on the other team I can stab them more easily.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just because Valve didn't have a specific policy against a "cheat/exploit" is no reason to get upset when they crack down on it. It would be silly to expect them to list every possible exploit as cheating until it actually occurred. I still don't see how people can think it was unfair for Valve to take away their ill-gotten booty. Valve basically said, "We don't like what you're doing, so we're taking away the stuff you shouldn't have." I'd say that was pretty fair, especially considering it could have been worse.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    22.5% of tf2 owners have gotten the first medic milestone
    26.1% have gotten the first pyro milestone.
    20.8% for 1st heavy
    11.2% for 1st scout

sniper and spy arent listed, but is anyone else seeing a trend?

fewer and fewer people still play this game?

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Its also possible who ever decided to punish all the idlers heard the 4.5% from someone else and didn't realize they were going to be pissing off 1/3rd+ of their active player base.

CommunistCow on