Word. If you need a self-esteem boost, two good options are:
    1) go to a gay bar and reject people all night long
    2) go to an anime con

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    I have been anti-intimidated. My confidence shot up through the roof while I was at Comic-Con. Just me, my buddy, and the fucking world as our oyster.

...I WANT TO GO BACK DAMMIT! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE ONLY ONCE A YEAR WHY CAN'T WE STAY FOREVER :cry:

I don't really belong to any culture, so no matter where I am it's like I just got dropped into a foreign country where they eat dogs.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    [CHAT] NOTE

How to use.

1. The poster whose username is written in this [Chat] Thread will be banned.

2. This thread will not take effect unless the poster's avatar and signature are pictured when writing the name.

3. After writing the name, the cause of banning should be specified in the next forty seconds. If the cause is not specified, the poster will be banned for saying the 'n' word.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »
    I have no idea what's going on here:

You are dancing with a pretty girl.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I rejected a gay dude on facebook once.

It was weird; dude was persistent.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Word. If you need a self-esteem boost, two good options are:
    1) go to a gay bar and reject people all night long
    2) go to an anime con

it's funny

people stereotype anime con-goers as disgusting, neckbearded cheetobreathers and standard-less hambeasts

and while those people certainly do exist

if you are decently attractive, and have adequate social skills and actually pay attention to your appearance and hygiene

well

in the land of the blind

the one-eyed man is king

i tell people i met my girlfriend at an an anime con and they're like "oh jeez... i guess if you really love her it doesn't matter what she looks like, right?"

and i'm like

uh
    Alex-1.jpg

welp

Pony on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I went to an anime convention once.

Not sure if it was actually less scary than the furry convention or not.

i have never been intimidated by an anime con

I have been anti-intimidated. My confidence shot up through the roof while I was at Comic-Con. Just me, my buddy, and the fucking world as our oyster.

...I WANT TO GO BACK DAMMIT! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE ONLY ONCE A YEAR WHY CAN'T WE STAY FOREVER :cry:

this is actually really typical of a lot of shy nerdy folk

it's almost like a "what happens in vegas..." type mindset

and also you feel amongst "your own people" so a lot of your social inhibitions drop

it's an interesting phenomenon that i have enjoyed in people fairly consistently.

That was pretty much it. I was amongst people who...Maybe not got me, but at least got some of the things that helped define me.

It was...Wow. There is nothing greater than a good convention. I want to find something smaller and more local, though. Comic-Con was a little too big at times.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    gundam470 wrote: »

I've only had this happen in RP sessions.

Nothing to make you twitchy like someone spending an hour trying to get into your digital pants and then finally giving up and saying "Oh by the way I'm a dude." before they log out.

Digital Chastity prevents Strokes.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For some reason I often value a compliment from a gay guy more highly than one from a girl.

wait.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2009
    I absolutely love this shirt. And horizontal stripes.

5110_107939682368_21201922368_19886.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    For some reason I often value a compliment from a gay guy more highly than one from a girl.

wait.

What were you saying the other day? Now I know how you know.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    gundam470 wrote: »

I've only had this happen in RP sessions.

Nothing to make you twitchy like someone spending an hour trying to get into your digital pants and then finally giving up and saying "Oh by the way I'm a dude." before they log out.

Digital Chastity prevents Strokes.

but keeps you from being stroked

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Elki is a dancing machine.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It annoys me that I will never have that comfort reaction.

You guys don't know how lucky you are that such a place exists that you feel you belong.

Cherish it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We don't really have cons like you yanks do over here but last Saturday I saw some anime-types: Morbidly obese girl with cat ears devouring a much smaller individual also wearing cat ears; Guy who might have been good looking dressed possibly as a minor Naruto character shouting all of the attack names and hitting people; mid-thirties man in a metal t-shirt who I think was just on the prowl; and another half dozen more non-descript types just with minor symbols of anime-love on their person (mainly t-shirts, a few props).

I know I shouldn't find it more offensive than a gang on drunk scrotes, but somehow I did. I also wanted to make a hide and follow them, possibly venturing out in a Louis Theroux-esque manner to try and understand their social complexities.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I absolutely love the thigh next to your shirt.

Also how tall are you? In the pictures you look reasonably sized, but I could swear their was a picture up here not that long ago in which this tall guy absolutely dwarfed you. o_O

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

You guys don't know how lucky you are that such a place exists that you feel you belong.

Cherish it.

I belong where I choose to.

I feel comfortable in a wide variety of different social circles, subcultures, etc.

because I choose that to be so

and thus it is

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Cherish it.

PAX?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I totally ran around the apartment in cat ears for a while the other day.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I really need to learn how to dance to at least one type of music.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    We don't really have cons like you yanks do over here but last Saturday I saw some anime-types: Morbidly obese girl with cat ears devouring a much smaller individual also wearing cat ears; Guy who might have been good looking dressed possibly as a minor Naruto character shouting all of the attack names and hitting people; mid-thirties man in a metal t-shirt who I think was just on the prowl; and another half dozen more non-descript types just with minor symbols of anime-love on their person (mainly t-shirts, a few props).

I know I shouldn't find it more offensive than a gang on drunk scrotes, but somehow I did. I also wanted to make a hide and follow them, possibly venturing out in a Louis Theroux-esque manner to try and understand their social complexities.

a few years ago my brother and i were sitting outside the convention hall taking a breather

and my brother pointed out some dude who was walking up to a group of girls, gingerly asking if he could take a picture of one of them

and my brother started making sociological observations in a hushed british accent

like a nature documentary narrator

so i joined in

we are terrible people

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alright folks. I need to be off to bed.

Don't forget to check out my H/A thread.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Cherish it.

PAX?

Nope. I'm a dabbler. I dabble in things. Half the time I buy games it's because I want to know what the hell you people are talking about.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Cherish it.

PAX?

Nope. I'm a dabbler. I dabble in things. Half the time I buy games it's because I want to know what the hell you people are talking about.

I think you artificially separate yourself from people

this is coming from a guy so emotionally detached and disconnected from others i was once labeled a sociopath

so

honestly you can simply choose to be comfortable and be part of a group

it is a choice

an element of yourself you need to overcome

if you want to

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Cherish it.

I belong where I choose to.

I feel comfortable in a wide variety of different social circles, subcultures, etc.

because I choose that to be so

and thus it is

^ What he said, except I can't actually pull it off.

It's as much about finding people you get as it is about finding people who get you. I'm not big into the music or indie art scenes, for instance, but I know what it's like to have raw pure creative passion moving through you, and to put your heart and soul into something, even if it's some crazy toilet seat monster or something(I actually saw that, once). So I can feel, in many ways, at home with these kind of people despite being part of a completely different subculture.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I've been looking for this. My weirdest dance photo:

n52707604_32037167_4049092.jpg

It really looks like I'm just chillin

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

a few years ago my brother and i were sitting outside the convention hall taking a breather

and my brother pointed out some dude who was walking up to a group of girls, gingerly asking if he could take a picture of one of them

and my brother started making sociological observations in a hushed british accent

so i joined in

we are terrible people
    I've not done that in a while. Not since we were in Poland in some goth club which may have been called the Jazz Cafe. Good fun, and some weird behaviour (Which was either some fine wingmanning or a very odd social dynamic of girl thieving)

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

you look like you are comforting that girl

...and then trying to steal first base

Pony on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Or somebody is stretchuring you off because you've put out your back.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BED. BEEED.

I have to pack tomorrow. WHEE.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

so i joined in

we are terrible people

I do that. But I can't do accents.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    OHAI!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    There has never been a human being who has "gotten" me. I don't even get me. I'm just kind of here and there.

I've also kind of lost my sense of passion now that I'm no longer living in constant anger.

Not everyone can fit themselves into typical social structures.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Blarg. I need to enter my passport details because of some changes in continental europe's security protocols. I should most likely run home and do that now because otherwise I'll just forget and then not get to see my girlfriend next weekend.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    There has never been a human being who has "gotten" me. I don't even get me. I'm just kind of here and there.

I've also kind of lost my sense of passion now that I'm no longer living in constant anger.

but you can try

if you lack the motivation to attempt and resign yourself to your disconnection

well

that's on you, mate

Pony on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    At Q-Con in Belfast, there was a skinny Student who made a good Light Yagami.

But what really topped it for me was he had a Paper Mache model of Ryuk with him.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I think I get you pretty well.

Come on, man, hug me.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    but you can try

well

that's on you, mate

Why do you think I attend conventions?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    but you can try

well

that's on you, mate

Why do you think I attend conventions?

Because they're fucking awesome?

yalborap on
This discussion has been closed.