Options

[chat]mallows!

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    At Q-Con in Belfast, there was a skinny Student who made a good Light Yagami.

But what really topped it for me was he had a Paper Mache model of Ryuk with him.

a few years back at Anime North, there was a car accident near the convention

some opportunistic fellow dressed as Light managed to get a picture taken leaning against a post nearby, the car crash in the frame, writing into the Note

that was pretty amazing

i have that picture somewhere, i just can't find it

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    but you can try

if you lack the motivation to attempt and resign yourself to your disconnection

well

that's on you, mate

Why do you think I attend conventions?

well then

don't give up

and don't take a defeatist attitude

instead of "nobody gets me" or whatever

you tell yourself

"nobody gets me yet"

as it is a temporary situation that has the capacity to be resolved

i've come pretty far in my time and by golly, if i can

you can

you'd have to be more broken than i am to be fully incapable of socially connecting with others

and frankly, my good sir, i doubt that such a thing is possible

Pony on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Because they're fucking awesome?

Yes and the British invaded America to help jumpstart the Natives's culture.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmmm:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8224869.stm

You see this is where I find the line of Piracy blurs somewhat. The reason I download TV series is because my country fails to supply it and fails to supply a Hulu, so why shouldn't I download my favourite show instead of waiting years for it to be finally licensed over here?

Isn't TV free anyway?

I reckon lines get blurred when TV Piracy occurs.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Well, they probably thought a lot of what they did WAS helping the native culture improve(read:get whiter).

EDIT: So, trying to gauge what to do.

Half of me wants to go to the store I have a good shot at getting a job at tomorrow, talk to the dude I know there, basically just chill for a few minutes and remind them I exist while also seeing if the dude is up for taking part in some of my crazy photo projects.

The other half of me wants to go somewhere else tomorrow and keep a low profile around there so I don't risk fucking things up, because I won't have a good shot at a job again for a while.

...Thoughts?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Hmmm:

You see this is where I find the line of Piracy blurs somewhat. The reason I download TV series is because my country fails to supply it and fails to supply a Hulu, so why shouldn't I download my favourite show instead of waiting years for it to be finally licensed over here?

Isn't TV free anyway?

it depends.

cable television is paid via subscription. that's why cable tv shows don't run commercials.

broadcast television is paid by ad revenue, which is why it has commercials and is a large contributing factor to what is wrong with broadcast television

broadcast television is "Free" in the same way that any ad-revenue supported entertainment media is free. while it doesn't cost you anything to enjoy, the expectation on the part of the sponsoring advertisers is that your viewership of the show can be translated into sales of their products via commercial breaks and product/service placement within the shows themselves

so, it can be said that by downloading a broadcast television show, you are denying advertisers the ability to generate potential revenue by the absence of commercial breaks

but!

that's a poor argument, because we live in a generation of folk who use DVRs and the like to just skip commercials anyway

in fact

many DVR companies use this as a feature to sell their products!

so, it's tricky as fuck

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Well, they probably thought a lot of what they did WAS helping the native culture improve(read:get whiter).

Yes, but it was a distinctly secondary purpose behind a larger scheme.

Basically I just don't enjoy things that much. I have very limited capacity for long-term interest in things. This makes it hard to relate to most people, as they DO have deep interests. The closest thing I have is my own fiction, which doesn't have any long-term conversational value due to me not putting much of it on paper, and barely any into a cohesive narrative.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmmm:

Isn't TV free anyway?

Hulu forces me to watch shows in 10 second chunks. It's not good. Messes up comedic timing and stuff.

That's bullshit.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Hulu forces me to watch shows in 10 second chunks. It's not good. Messes up comedic timing and stuff.

That's bullshit.

10 second chunks....?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i've stopped bothering with Hulu anymore.

I gotta use a VPN to backdoor into the site anyway, so whatever

i don't even watch a lot of TV in the first place

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Yes, but it was a distinctly secondary purpose behind a larger scheme.

Can you really attribute a single coherent plan to a huge group of people who's only common features are that they live in America but aren't American aboriginals?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

That's bullshit.

10 second chunks....?

buffering...

buffering...

buffering...

<ten seconds of TV>

buffering...

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Isn't TV free anyway?.

Well we pay TV licenses. So really it does kind of make sense that it doesn't matter how we watch things.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pizza time!

James on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    well, I'm off to get my stitches taken out.

Later [chat].

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If you have DVRs

and you have the ability to transfer data from one DVR to another

and this is legal

then the argument that downloading television shows is actually piracy or illegal is extremely shaky.

because ultimately, what is the difference of me recording a TV show on sunday, watching it monday, while fast forwarding through all the commercials on my DVR

and downloading the sunday show from a torrent site monday morning and watching it then, devoid of commercials?

there really isn't much of one.

films is one thing

but TV operates on an entirely different scheme

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

That's bullshit.

10 second chunks....?

buffering...

buffering...

buffering...

<ten seconds of TV>

buffering...

That's just download lag.

Try hitting pause and letting the buffer fill to max.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I bought Shadow Complex. It's amazing that a console game can be so cheap, half of what I pay for dip per week.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited August 2009

EDIT: So, trying to gauge what to do.

Half of me wants to go to the store I have a good shot at getting a job at tomorrow, talk to the dude I know there, basically just chill for a few minutes and remind them I exist while also seeing if the dude is up for taking part in some of my crazy photo projects.

The other half of me wants to go somewhere else tomorrow and keep a low profile around there so I don't risk fucking things up, because I won't have a good shot at a job again for a while.

...Thoughts?

Any ideas, since nobody seems to have noticed the edit?

yalborap on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    I bought Shadow Complex. It's amazing that a console game can be so cheap, half of what I pay for dip per week.

I need to give that a try.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So I guess this is camwhore [chat]?

James on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    holy shit

so i went into the disney villain song thread

seeing Be Prepared in German makes things like the goose-stepping hyena legions way more disturbing

Pony on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

It's a really good game. Kinda short, but very replayable. I'm working on a 100% playthrough at the moment, then I'm gonna try a minimalist run.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I can now see the queue for the Banksy exhibition from my department. Madness.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pony have you moved in yet?

James on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

The demo was great but short, I figured it's almost free and I should encourage people wanting to to sidescrollers. I'll give it a run through once I come home later today.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    James wrote: »
    Pony have you moved in yet?

I have moved out of the old place, but not into the new yet.

I am currently staying at my mom's house until saturday, when I move into the new place for reals.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

The demo was great but short, I figured it's almost free and I should encourage people wanting to to sidescrollers. I'll give it a run through once I come home later today.

I should look in to buying a wodge of microsoft points then. TO THE BARGAIN THREAD!

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aww, I missed the camwhore portion of [chat].

Well, too damn bad! I'm so suave, I can camwhore whenever I want:
    Tuxedos.jpg

(I'm the short one)

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, here's me getting caught stealing confetti:
    Confetti.jpg

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You are a tiny, little man.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why am I reminded of Jack Black, visiblehowl?

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have no pix.

except being stupidly thin

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Skeith wrote: »
    Why am I reminded of Jack Black, visiblehowl?
    I get that a lot.

I get Jimmy Kimmel the most, Jack Black the second most, and I've gotten Kevin Pollak twice.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Also, regarding my height, to be fair, the other guys in that picture are pretty tall, especially the guy second from the right and the guy on the far left.

I am 5'5" though, so....yeah.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    hopefully i have totally destroyed any illusions that i may be a woman

that's shockingly common on here

people just assume

Pony on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I always seem to miss camwhore chat.

I don't really mind, though.

James on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    hopefully i have totally destroyed any illusions that i may be a woman

that's shockingly common on here

people just assume
    I can't imagine why.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Damn, I have an embarrassing photo of Hakkekage, but I don't want to post it unless she's here to yell at me for posting it.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.