As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guitar Hero: Baby loves to dance in the dark

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In their initial suit, Activision stated that Brutal's publishing agreement with EA, inked in December 2008, was unlawful. However, Double Fine's countersuit claims Activision was uninterested in Brutal. It dropped the game from its publishing slate in 2008 "after an effort to convert the game into a Guitar Hero sequel failed."

Source (Original article from yahoo! news has expired...)

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    In their initial suit, Activision stated that Brutal's publishing agreement with EA, inked in December 2008, was unlawful. However, Double Fine's countersuit claims Activision was uninterested in Brutal. It dropped the game from its publishing slate in 2008 "after an effort to convert the game into a Guitar Hero sequel failed."

Source (Original article from yahoo! news has expired...)

Actually it was part of a simultaneous dump of Vivendi games Activision absorbed in the merger that they deemed unable to exploit with endless sequels on a yearly basis. The others being the 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand and Ghostbusters.

Of course if Brutal Legend had been converted into a Guitar Hero game Kotick probably would have dubbed it exploitable.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought the demo was OK, and there's some decent tracks in there.

Evidently I'm taking things a little more lightly than some people. I'm not sure how to put across what I want to say without sounding like an idiot, but there's room for me to enjoy both this GH style of thing, and Rock Band. What I won't be doing, is investing heavily in 'instruments' or much more DLC. I lean on RB much more heavily for my DLC (To be honest, who doesn't?), having grabbed maybe 30 tracks in total.

I suppose when you've come back from the pub, there's not a lot wrong with some bullshit about robot zombies with rams legs playing metal stuff.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Bobby Kotick: Hi Tim. Now, we think Brutal Legend is kind of interesting, but you know what would be even MORE metal? Turning the game into Guitar Hero! Yeah! Having the background characters most people ignore be all metal-ized will make the rockinest game ever!
    Tim Schafer: Fuck you. (Stomps off)
    Bobby Kotick: I WILL DESTROY YOU!! ...but this idea of mine is too awesome to pass up. For it came from I, Bobby Kotick. Hey, Neversoft guys!
    Neversoft: Yeah?
    Bobby Kotick: Turn Guitar Hero into Brutal Legend!
    Neversoft: Um, why?
    Bobby Kotick: BECAUSE YOUR LORD AND MASTER COMMANDS YOU.
    Neversoft: I hate what we've become.
    Bobby Kotick: Well, then. I have good news about your future...

You forgot something.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bobby Kotick: Hi Tim. Now, we think Brutal Legend is kind of interesting, but you know what would be even MORE metal? Turning the game into Guitar Hero! Yeah! Having the background characters most people ignore be all metal-ized will make the rockinest game ever!
    Tim Schafer: Fuck you. (Stomps off)
    Bobby Kotick: I WILL DESTROY YOU!! ...but this idea of mine is too awesome to pass up. For it came from I, Bobby Kotick. Hey, Neversoft guys!
    Neversoft: Yeah?
    Bobby Kotick: Turn Guitar Hero into Brutal Legend!
    Neversoft: Um, why?
    Bobby Kotick: BECAUSE YOUR LORD AND MASTER COMMANDS YOU.
    Neversoft: I hate what we've become.
    Bobby Kotick: Well, then. Better kill yourself now, before you see what else is coming...

You forgot something.

Fix'd.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought the demo was OK, and there's some decent tracks in there.

Evidently I'm taking things a little more lightly than some people. I'm not sure how to put across what I want to say without sounding like an idiot, but there's room for me to enjoy both this GH style of thing, and Rock Band. What I won't be doing, is investing heavily in 'instruments' or much more DLC. I lean on RB much more heavily for my DLC (To be honest, who doesn't?), having grabbed maybe 30 tracks in total.

I suppose when you've come back from the pub, there's not a lot wrong with some bullshit about robot zombies with rams legs playing metal stuff.

You and me are not just on the same page, but the same paragraph.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Played the demo.

Deleted it.

Fucking sucks!

Great songs though.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What.

Yours was a little too optimistic. Like Neversoft actually had a ray of sunshine coming to them someday.

Mine is very much a "you hate what you are now, well, it'll never get better," approach.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I might be doing it wrong.

Fawst on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not sure if you're aware Fawst but WoR is Neversoft's last Guitar Hero game. I think the whole studio is being dissolved, so yeah, they do have a bit of sunshine comin' their way.

As far as the Brutal Legend comparisons go:

-Modern day shmuck gets transported to medieval metal world? Check. (kind of)
    -An axe of power that symbolizes a guitar? Check.
    -The hero turns into a demon of sorts? Check.
    -A fight with a metal monster that is comprised of stage equipment? Check.
    -Celebrity rock star doing voice work? Check.
    -Good, imaginative, original story-telling? ...

And that's just from the demo.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah basically I started playing and thought "this manages to be a lame version of both Rock Band and Brutal Legend at the same time, wow."

It all seems really soulless.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    What.

Yours was a little too optimistic. Like Neversoft actually had a ray of sunshine coming to them someday.

Mine is very much a "you hate what you are now, well, it'll never get better," approach.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I might be doing it wrong.

I'm pretty sure that Santa's joke was that most of Neversoft is being laid off after GH6 releases. There have been rumors circling for months.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Omeks wrote: »

Wha? When the hell was that in Brutal Legend?

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    In response to Omeks and Hedgethorn:
    4974622396_71fb5615ac.jpg

Yup, I was doing it wrong. *sigh*

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So someone played all the way through the demo, asinine cutscenes intact. The true stupidity begins around 2:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcS7JtS0Pxg

GODDAMN that's some asinine yet relentless dialog.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Second part of the demo. The transformation money shot is at 3:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnhmC1MFVBg

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    The funny thing is that I'm the target audience of that game, as I like most of the music announced, but I showed it to my friends and they could find like 8 songs they might enjoy playing. I don't know if I can justify buying the game, specially with I that-other-game-that-should-not-be-mention coming out a bit afterwards.

You mean Rock Band 3

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maybe it's supposed to be satire?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

If they hired Spinal Tap to do the exact same dialog, it would be.

But Activision apparently expects people to take this crap seriously.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

If they hired Spinal Tap to do the exact same dialog, it would be.

But Activision apparently expects people to take this crap seriously.

Satire also requires a little self-awareness. If it was just the same old Muppets as the backup band, then maybe. At least in that demo, there does not appear to be one single moment where the game surreptitiously winks at the player and goes 'Yeah...I know...'

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dude.

Mako would be rolling in his fucking grave if he knew that they were riffing on his classic delivery of the Conan the Barbarian narration. Skip to 0:34 to see what I mean. Then keep listening beyond Mako for badassery and one of the greatest themes ever written.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZY2mRG5mzg

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well just finished playing through the demo. It's really embarrassing. It honestly feels like a satire of itself at this point, but an unintentional one. I can ignore the horrendous story and narration, but even the gameplay is embarrassing. Whoa I can get 12 stars per song now? That blows Rock Bands 5/5G out of the water! Extreme character abilities that you can combine with others to get (apparently) 40 fucking stars per song!

Honestly it feels like this scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

but with stars. Why does it matter anymore? Why not give a potential of 100 smiling suns and 50 rainbows of rock per song?

Endaro on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I almost tried the demo last night...and decided I really didn't want to...so I didn't. :?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Endaro wrote: »
    Whoa I can get 12 stars per song now? That blows Rock Bands 5/5G out of the water! Extreme character abilities that you can combine with others to get (apparently) 40 fucking stars per song!

Honestly it feels like this scene
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

but with stars. Why does it matter anymore? Why not give a potential of 100 smiling suns and 50 rainbows of rock per song?

It reminds me of how the last few pinball games made would give you 100 million points or some crap just for pulling the plunger.

But really, Scorehero will eat this shit up, for score whorin' is what they do. Unfortunately Scoreheroers are a TINY chunk of the market. The greatest portion, more casual gamers who whip this out at parties, aren't going to touch this with a 12-foot pole.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I could see how this would go at my periodic Guitar Hero parties:

"Let's play some Guitar Hero!"

"Um...why is that guy a walking Pig."

"Um...hey, you wanna play some Splosion Man instead?" *redface*

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    But really, Scorehero will eat this shit up, for score whorin' is what they do. Unfortunately Scoreheroers are a TINY chunk of the market. The greatest portion, more casual gamers who whip this out at parties, aren't going to touch this with a 12-foot pole.

It's funny, the first paragraph on wikipedia under
    development comments on this. It starts with the developers kind of knocking the previous titles as straying from when things were good (GH3 apparently) and that they've tried too hard to please everyone. So instead they're going to focus on what they consider their largest market (guitar driven songs), and according to them that means the 40% of players which were playing on expert shortly after the launch of the last title.

Is the competition for party games so stiff that its really a good idea to doom yourself to appeasing only the uber-extreme difficulty seekers, the point seekers, the elite elitists? Is 40% of your market really enough to cater to at the risk of losing the other 60%?

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt that 40% of all buyers of Guitar Hero played the last game on expert.

And no, the last game didn't sell well because you tried to please everyone, the last game didn't sell well because Activision released 47 different (blank) Hero games in the same year and people got sick of it. Goddamn, it's not rocket science. It's not even Play-Dough science.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It reminds me of how the last few pinball games made would give you 100 million points or some crap just for pulling the plunger.

I blame Bride of Pin*Bot for that. Having a one billion point bonus just kind of threw things out of whack. Suddenly, every pinball machine had to have some bizarre scoring philosophy where the player got points before dropping the quarter in the slot.

Eventually this extends outward to all things. Then the Russians invaded...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Second part of the demo. The transformation money shot is at 3:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnhmC1MFVBg

Nothing about that looks good. Not the charts, not the graphics, not the story that didn't need to exist: none of it looks appealing at all.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I was being a little generous with this comparison. The fight with the monster in Guitar Hero: WoR just reminded me a lot of the beginning of Brutal Legend when the stage that Eddie built comes to life and kills everything, mainly because they're both stage equipment, or closely related.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I was being a little generous with this comparison. The fight with the monster in Guitar Hero: WoR just reminded me a lot of the beginning of Brutal Legend when the stage that Eddie built comes to life and kills everything, mainly because they're both stage equipment, or closely related.

Oh okay ya I could see that. I was trying really hard to remember some stage equipment mini boss, like the tentacle/vagina with teeth in the opening car segment, and I came up emptied handed. I started wondering if you were pulling guesses out of a hat, having not played BL, which would have been hilarious.

Endaro on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The first song is a terrible way to showcase your new game.

"How about we show a really bland chart for a song that's longer than normal? that'll bring the fans back!"

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sorry but this is funny:
    Journey through the most immersive, interactive and connected rock music adventure as you...

Wut?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm sorry but this is funny:
    Journey through the most immersive, interactive and connected rock music adventure as you...

Wut?

It's way more interactive than that other game that shall not be named.

No game is more connected than Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock!

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I was playing Aegis Wing. I decided to download the demo. Try it out, y'know? See how bad it was.

I think Neversoft is trying to mock the uber-hardcore crowd that they know they will buy this anyway while simultaneously getting back at Activision by spending oodles of money on a game that will barely recoup half of its development costs. it's a piece of performance art. Years from now, we will look back at this and know that it was the dawn of a new age in interactive entertainment.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    glithert wrote: »
    So, I was playing Aegis Wing. I decided to download the demo. Try it out, y'know? See how bad it was.

I think Neversoft is trying to mock the uber-hardcore crowd that they know they will buy this anyway while simultaneously getting back at Activision by spending oodles of money on a game that will barely recoup half of its development costs. it's a piece of performance art. Years from now, we will look back at this and know that it was the dawn of a new age in interactive entertainment.

Andy Kaufman was a performance artist. And now he's fucking dead. Some things are better left buried.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I didn't say that all this was a good thing

glithert on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Andy Kaufman was a performance artist. And now he's fucking dead. Some things are better left buried.

So you're saying Neversoft will die?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

So you're saying Neversoft will die?

Neversoft was only following orders. They'll be found and brought to justice.

And no, glithert, you didn't say that. But I'm saying that some things should rightly be nipped in the bud.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Max22Max22 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like how Johnny Napalm took a swig out of one of these on his way to the stage:
    cocacolaredesignbottle.jpg

Max22 on
    Xbox Live: jackspades22
This discussion has been closed.