As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boardgames - Chuckers, Floppers and Meeples

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A Betrayal at House on the Hill 2nd Edition?

I haven't exactly bothered to look into a hard-to-acquire OOP game but now it seems as though I'll have the opportunity to do so.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRwsTyUPIYE

Only the snoopy dance can express my heart's joy.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Well.

Hell just froze over.

Fuck yeeees.

I have wanted to get my hands on a copy of that game forever.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also -- contest time! -- if you’d like to participate even more, I’m looking for some new scenarios to add to the ones I’m currently writing. If you think you’ve got what it takes, send me your scenario, and if I like it, I’ll send it along to be included in the new Haunt book. I want complete scenarios, not just "it’d be cool if you had a scenario based on this one set of movies." I’d also love getting ideas for new item and event cards. The deadline for scenarios is December 23rd (so I can playtest them over the holidays); the deadline for cards is January 1. Unfortunately, we aren’t offering anything to the winners other than the eternal glory of having your name in print in the new Haunt books, but that’s worth something, isn’t it?

As far as what makes a good Haunt, in my opinion: my favorite Horror paradigm is the one where the Threat, whatever it is, cannot be confronted directly. There are always more monsters, or the single monster is too tough to just be defeated in combat. Instead, you’ve got to hold the threat at bay just long enough to locate the widget or perform the ritual that will defeat the threat indirectly.

Those of you who are experienced with BaHotH might want to put together a Haunt for the contest.

Darian on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Now how about another edition of History of the World, Hasbro?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cool, can't wait to try it.

edit: Fall of 2010

tofu on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    On topic with our earlier discussions, today's Kids woot is a board game for young'ins.

http://kids.woot.com/

I'm sure it's awful, but there it is. And it's cheap.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well.

Hell just froze over.

Fuck yeeees.

Wait, what is it? The site is down now.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sevorak wrote: »
    Well.

Hell just froze over.

Fuck yeeees.

Did... did you read the rest of this page? Like... the very next post? Go back and look.

Darian on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    Sevorak wrote: »
    Well.

Hell just froze over.

Fuck yeeees.

Did... did you read the rest of this page? Like... the very next post? Go back and look.

Doh, I have no idea how I missed that post. Don't mind me.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is why I try to make posts like that whenever possible.

"What's that, Lassie? You've found Grandpa? He's stuck between an undefined acronym and a tinyurl link?"

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Give me a couple good strategies for my Puerto Rico game tonight. We played the game correctly last time and it seemed way faster than the first game (where we only went around the table once during the Captain phase, instead of as many times as possible).

krylon666 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Early game, you need to establish a reliable income stream - factory with multiple types of goods producing, the first (or earliest in turn order) person with tobacco or coffee, large market, quarries.

Then you have to decide if your going with more of a production/shipping strategy or a trade/building strategy; either are viable. Harbor/wharf can help a lot if you can get one early enough. Finally, look at your board compared to your opponents and pick out the end game building(s) which will most benefit each player then make the best choice for those. Keep an eye on the game ending situations so you don't get stuck with an unstaffed large building in the end.

Darian on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh my god a new Betrayal

yes

In related news, the new PbP thread is go.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well.

Hell just froze over.

FUCK

YES

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Seriously, it's going to be hard for anyone I know to top that news as a holiday gift.

yessssssss

Bitstream on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bit, you should totally enter the contest.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In unrelated news, the first Critical Failures game of Wallenstein has ended, with beta.lyrae winning by five points via a strong opening round.

Hopefully we'll get another game going early next week; would anyone else want to play? (It is set up for 2-5 players; we had 4 this game.)

Darian on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In unrelated news, the first Critical Failures game of Wallenstein has ended, with beta.lyrae winning by five points via a strong opening round.

Hopefully we'll get another game going early next week; would anyone else want to play? (It is set up for 2-5 players; we had 4 this game.)

I am obviously in now that I sorta know what's going on in the opening round.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Translation: beta.lyrae was the only one who had played before (other than Fro) and was thus able to steal the first year scoring. :P
                         Y1 Y2  F
    beta.lyrae..........25 24 49
    enlightenedbum......19 25 44
    Darian..............20 23 43
    Fro.................15 25 40

I'm up for another. I'll also play any of the other games other than Bus and Hoity Toity. Other than those two they're all really great games. A 5er of Santiago would be fun, but I've been itching to play Reef Encounter or Amun Re again.

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    beta.lyrae wrote: »

Translation: beta.lyrae was the only one who had played before (other than Fro) and was thus able to steal the first year scoring. :P
                         Y1 Y2  F
    beta.lyrae..........25 24 49
    enlightenedbum......19 25 44
    Darian..............20 23 43
    Fro.................15 25 40

I'm up for another. I'll also play any of the other games other than Bus and Hoity Toity. Other than those two they're all really great games. A 5er of Santiago would be fun, but I've been itching to play Reef Encounter or Amun Re again.

Let us play the game we've learned to play first! Though I played Tikal once like 5 years ago.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fantasy Flight Games is having a holiday sale now.

I am tempted to pick up DOOM and the expansion. It'd be $30 total.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am tempted to do the same. A lot of the things there are stuff I haven't heard about. Anyone want to point out the coolest games they have on sale?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    God damn you all for pointing me to their sale. I figured "holy shit, doom for 30 bucks. Even if I never play it I can trade it for more than that!"

I went to the BG area of the sale and BGG'd a few things to see if they were interesting enough to merit purchases under 10 bucks. I ended up with an order consisting of:
    Doom
    Doom Expansion
    Atlanteon
    Micromutants
    Drakon
    Cave Troll
    and Wreckage.

And when I get back to SD on sunday I've got to put in an order for stuff that isnt for me to thoughthammer. Probably Hive and Citadels, maybe carc if my girl wants to get in on the shipping deal.

Also, my uncle has a ton of wood working tools and is quite the skilled craftsman. I'm considering asking if he'll help me (or do all the work) on a crokinole board.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh shit, Warhammer FRP books for 5 bucks? Yes, I'll be picking up a few of these.

edit:: I know it's not boardgames, but seriously, it's a great system.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cave Troll looks cool, anyone have any experience with it?

tofu on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got on there about to purchase Doom and it's expansion, cause that's a great price. And my fiance walks in and asks what I'm about to do. I tell her about the sale and I look on there and find a few more games that interest me. So I'm pretty sure that she got me Doom and the expansion, LOTR confrontation, and Beowulf Legend. Totals to 45 with 16 shipping. So really not a bad deal at all.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FattronicusFattronicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How vital to Doom is the expansion? Because it's sold out now. I'd like to grab the base game considering my LGS has it for $60 new but if it's way less fun without the expansion I won't even bother.

Edit: Eh, whatever. I just bought the core game because I'm a terrible impulse buyer. If I get burned then at least it wasn't for full price.

Fattronicus on
    76561197968482768.png
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The base game is fun. I'm pissed I missed out on the expansion for $10.

I'm heading to a couple of my LGS tomorrow/saturday to see what I can pick up on sale. I'm hoping someone has the Kingsburg expansion. Not sure what else I want to look for really, since I bought almost everything I've wanted all year - and the other stuff I would want probably isn't stocked.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    Cave Troll looks cool, anyone have any experience with it?

I think it's an excellent game. Don't be fooled by the theme, a first glance you might confuse it for a competitive dungeon crawler-lite but it's actually a rather good majority-wins area control game. It plays quickly and there certainly feels like weight to your decisions.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I shouldn't have, but I did. Just purchased Army of Zero, because I can't resist a good cash-prize puzzle.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How vital to Doom is the expansion? Because it's sold out now. I'd like to grab the base game considering my LGS has it for $60 new but if it's way less fun without the expansion I won't even bother.

Edit: Eh, whatever. I just bought the core game because I'm a terrible impulse buyer. If I get burned then at least it wasn't for full price.

The core game is fine without the expansion. Just check the site for the FAQs and clarifications (for instance, the out of ammo invader card) and then start killin' aliens/marines.

And given how cheap the sale is, if you like Doom, you can always grab the expansion elsewhere and still be doing well on overall price in the end.

desc on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So I've finished the beta version of my Betrayal PbP hosting kit for the rabid mob demanding more than one game every six weeks. PM me if you're interested, especially if I get dibs on a spot in your game.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Went to some boardgame day this week-end with internets friends (lots of tables, room to borrow and play games, demonstrations all around, boardgames on sale for cheap), bought and played Chaos in the Old World and Blokus. Game of Thrones was only 7.5 euro so it got picked up by a friend as well.

Can't wait to give em a proper spin.

Alegis on
  • Options
    jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Played some Senji over the long holiday weekend (haven't played that in ages), some Puerto Rico, some Warhammer: Invasion with the new Skaven battlepack that just came out, some Race for the Galaxy, and some Power Grid. All in all, some good times.

jabrams007 on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hm, trying to figure out what boardgame to ask to get for Christmas. Getting a boardgame has kind of become a tradition at this point.

I've got Catan with all expansions, Chaos in the old world, space hulk, BSG (no expansion but honestly I don't really like BSG), Pandemic (no expansion but my friends never seem to like the game that much) and Carcassonne (no expansions, decently popular with myself and my friends).

Something that can support 4-6 players would be great. My friends seem to really love Chaos but the 4 player cap makes it really limiting. I'm considering Small World, played it at a friends and enjoyed it, but that only goes up to 5 right? 6 would be really nice. Any advice?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'd suggest Power Grid. It's probably my second favorite board game (after Puerto Rico).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Power Grid is a solid game that plays well with any number from 2-6.

edit: Also, what he said :P

Darian on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'll look into reviews and stuff of Power Grid then. It might be a tough sell to some of my friends, theme wise. They looked like I was insane when I was explaining to them how fun a game about building houses and trading sheep was.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I'll look into reviews and stuff of Power Grid then. It might be a tough sell to some of my friends, theme wise. They looked like I was insane when I was explaining to them how fun a game about building houses and trading sheep was.

Monopolistic power companies?

enlightenedbum on
This discussion has been closed.