As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limp [DOODLE]

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    and mine, from the same session

orikarl.png

Crashed before I could finish.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Doodles. Been experimenting with light and shadow, shading techniques, and trying to tighten up my anatomy some.

Sketchbook23-1.png

Sketchbook24.png

Sketchbook25.png

Sketchbook26.png

Sketchbook27.png

This is just a super rough outline for something I want to bring to some degree of completion, i.e. inked and colored. I want him to have an exaggerated build, with impossibly giant shoulders, while not looking grossly Liefeldian. I'm going to rework basically the whole thing, specifically his right arm and abs, and downsize his left hand a little. And I'll probably tweak the face a little.
    Sketchbook28.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm loving where that's heading mully.

Mustang on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    I'm loving where that's heading mully.

hahahah, oh man, you said that as if you actually thought i'd finish it! good one, mustang!

mully on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mully is a student of the Tam school, Mustang.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My stupidity obviously proceeds me, cause I don't have a frigging clue what you are talking about.

I am loving where that is heading? I am liking where the artwork is heading? I am enjoying the paintings current state and looking forward to its completion? Ye olde unfinished painting doth pleaseth me, I await with much anticipation its eventual conclusion?

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    She's not going to finish it.

Tam on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tam never finishes anything
    because he is a lazy nincompoop
    just kidding
    not really.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Tam never finishes anything
    because he is a lazy nincompoop
    just kidding
    not really.

I've finished a few things.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I guess you have.
    I don't really think he has. :P

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    She's not going to finish it.

Ahhh, I think my fear of your stern correctional whip has rendered me incapable of concentrating on anything apart from my grammar and spelling skills. i after e except after c.....twitch...twitch.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DeeLock wrote: »
    I guess you have.
    I don't really think he has. :P

2mzba8o.jpg

xomolx.jpg

qq8g3b.jpg

wl52e0.jpg

29lfcki.jpg

2qiu5oi.jpg

33bmkrd.jpg

2ahdylc.jpg

FACE

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Those are someone else's obviously.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dentistry schmentistry, no dentist draws like that.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Dentistry schmentistry, no dentist draws like that.

Actually, I know a few who do.

Tam on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Sketchbook24.png

This might be a little on the pedantic side, but I think you should consider an alternative skeletal framework for the triclops. Right now the third eye looks sort of drawn on, because it would basically be lodged in the brain.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He's actually an established character from DC comics, so I was just going with his established design. But looking at it now, I think that, were I to draw him again, I'd make the eye bulge out from his skull more.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Unnnggh...I feel like I'm making the same mistakes over and over again but I'm too stupid to realise what they are.

armani.png

EDIT: Oh god that eye is fucked to all hell isn't it?

Mustang on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the way hes reaching in his pocket is very kinky

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Preliminary reworking of the pose. I'm somewhat restricted because the sprite needs to be reflected left and right, so I wanted him holding the gun with both hands (although for quick firing with a revolver you'd typically have one hand over the hammer...). He's supposed to be sort of half-crouching/leaning forward, but his back might have a bit too much of a hunch. Also improved the hands situation. The gray lines are where his legs would be without the duster.

I think the knees might still be a bit too low, and the right hand still looks like it's at an angle towards the camera (maybe the thumb is too thick).

pixelsprite2.pngpixelsprite3.png

Edited in further revision

looking much better. that hair is both too dark and too saturated though, it really separates from the rest of image. also, by using an unnatural hair color, you're giving it an anime-feel, which is one of the reasons I changed it to orange. the other is so that it would further the complementary color scheme.

you should take the hand from the back arm and cast it in shadow, so that it reads as a separate hand and not as the bottom of the first hand.

you should also clean up your shading on the band on the hat, matching the colors to the pants. right now the pixel placement there seems arbitrary.

you might want to clarify what the blue thing is sticking out of his chest, and stop posting it with a transparent background, because that part is blending with the forum bgcolor.

also, I think dropping his belt line and extending his vest and top of the pants down a few pixels would help with your concern that the calves are too short. That way, you're shrinking the calves in comparison, and it would just look like his pants ride a little low.

As for a character-design aspect, if you're not fully dead-set on this character, I think an older, more weathered, Sergio-Leone esque character would be a better approach.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oopps I poped out a weird one
    child_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Shirt design for a friend. Perspective is all kinds of wrong but I'll just take what I learned and apply it to future pictures rather than endlessly fiddling.

Edit: now that i look at it I might skew the text so it lines up with the tray's vanishing point. Also need to liven it up, colours are very bland

Cupcake_by_prohass.png

Prohass on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thanks Winter Combat

and somfing I just started using the sort of theme from the last one. I really am keen to stay up and get more of this done as I am excited about where It might go but Im so tired :( I feel I havnt done enough drawing in the last few days. I have tomorrow afternoon to work on it though ;D Im liking my colour choice so far. Im trying to draw in colour and not rely on the Black and white. There are still some few issues like the eyes which I will work out :)

zombiecrawl-1.jpg

P.S Mustang the eye isnt to bad. his right eye is a little off and the head generally might be a little large. I love your job with the cloth though :D

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Starting an editorial assignment for my idea generation class. We where given two articles, one on michael jackson and the other on disney scouting in South Australia for locations for filming of John Carter of Mars

this is just a quick doodle for the MJ.

2aex9wj.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As for a character-design aspect, if you're not fully dead-set on this character, I think an older, more weathered, Sergio-Leone esque character would be a better approach.

I'm really not, but while my anatomy and pixel skills are... passable, my design talent is not so great. I'd love to have a more weathered looking character, but I spent most of my adolescence drawing generic anime guys and never really advanced.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    prohass: how is that cupcake sitting on the top of a hole? look at him! he's sitting there as if he is floating above the cupcake hole.

mully on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mully wrote: »
    prohass: how is that cupcake sitting on the top of a hole? look at him! he's sitting there as if he is floating above the cupcake hole.

I don't see a hole. Maybe its a five-cupcake tin.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mully wrote: »

Yeah this is a problem I realised far too late. Basically this whole picture has been great at teaching me to always do a really good initial drawing, and not just scan the first scribble I make. I was like "damn, now where will the face go?" I thought about moving it next to the hole, but I kinda wanna move on and just chalk it up to experience.

Maybe cute little 'Worms' style hands holding him up? Like lifting himself out?

Prohass on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Another sketch from the National Gallery. Frustrated at the too-big head and compacted torso, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

3529494136_500ca92065.jpg

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rightly so, you've got some really delicate lines and hatch work going on there matt, apart from the head it's pretty friggin awesome.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm a fancy shmancy impressionistic painter! Just kidding, i'm not. But heres a 12 hour painting its 20X24, And it was done in a impressionistic manner.

IMG_0950.jpg

(its still not finished)

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Might want to tone down the highlight on the fallen tree/limb, it's a bit full on.

A slightly squashed mona lisa, i'll get you yet Da Vinci!

monak.png

EDIT: I forgot to shake my fist in anger. *Shakes fist in anger*

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thats going to be snow

The snow still looks like water, I havn't finished the ground yet

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ahh righto, carry on.
    Legg wrote:
    zombiecrawl-1.jpg
    This is nice work BTW legg, good progression.
    WCK wrote:
    2aex9wj.jpg
    3529494136_500ca92065.jpg
    Loomdum wrote:
    IMG_0950.jpg
    Mustang wrote:
    monak.png

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    it's fine, i'm personally not really happy with the ground to though, this is myyyy 5th time painting now though so i'm starting to get the hang of it

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Legg wrote:
    zombiecrawl-1.jpg

Agh! Flashes of Trainspotting.

Buckwolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My god, you're right. I had a weeks worth of nightmares after that scene.
    Not really, but it sounds more dramatic than saying it disturbed me for 5 minutes or so.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yer thanks guys.

I woke up the other day and had an urge to draw some babies as I never have before. Just to expand my folio however I was like mmmm make them weird. soo.. zombie baby and that little girl with the kiss makeup on lol!.... Ive added a mouse to her hand and stuff. Ill post it when i get home. Im hoping to get that zombie baby one done tonight to but we shall see.

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    looking sweet. cant wait to see it finished. i remember (i think) you saying youve only just started actual full paintings. nice stuff
    Loomdum wrote:
    IMG_0950.jpg

I think this is a pretty accurate interpretation
    Mustang wrote:
    monak.png
    [/QUOTE]

A refined sketch of MJ. My idea is that it;s going to be like in those Hollywood movies, where the police rock up at someones front door and stick a 'search warrent' in the house owners face. I want MJ to look very aggressive but at the same time, he's still doing his well know peace sign gesture. I need to refine the lighting and shadows to help establish that mood. My plan is to also have his lawyers standing behind him in the background.

2evssxl.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
This discussion has been closed.