Options

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    And I hope you are not defending when they tack on shit at the end. Yes the ninja chick uses degozaru, cause she is an olden Japanese persona, think Kenshin. But come the fuck on, make it sound medievel if you want, tacking it on at the end is just weak. I was so fucking annoyed with all the Chao parts because every bit of her dialogue had something tacked on at the end...

Are you people bitching about scan-lations now or something? Because the Del Rey translation doesn't do this.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had assumed that is what you all were talking about. At least that is what I was talking about.

edit: and that is good to know, because I would be pissed if I bought something and they used that lazy-ass shit in their translation.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Latest One Piece question:
    Am I the only one who's really looking forward to the downfall of Blackbeard, a.k.a. Marshall D. Teach? I don't know about the rest of you guys, but he seems like a villain who's really easy to hate on.

I mean, the man seems to hide behind his Devil Fruit power, he seems too pretentious for his own good, and is generally a general douche. I know that's probably the point of the character, but he does it a little too well, and it makes me want Oda to hurry up and wipe that smug grin off of his face.
    He most definitely does not hide behind his power, remember how he managed to injure Shanks before he even got it. I personally love the character, he acts as a nice foil to Luffy.
    Fair enough.

At this point i'm not completely sure if we could call him a foil/rival to Luffy yet. The only thing Blackbeard wanted with Luffy was to turn him in to the Marines so he claim his Shichibukai status. Since turning in Ace accomplished that already, he can move on to the grander scale of things, by aiming for Whitebeard and shooting for the title of Pirate King, so capturing/taking down Luffy probably doesn't interest him as much now.

He is well on his way to becoming a master manipulator, something we haven't seen since Crocodile's days at Arabasta. He will step on anyone and everyone to get to the top, which is why I don't have as much respect for him as guys like Whitebeard or Shanks.

Then again, he is a pirate...
    Isn't interested in Luffy? He just showed up at Impel Down!

They're perfect rivals, whether they know it or not. Just look at their crews, everyone has a counterpart that is exactly opposite. (well, not everyone, unless Blackbeard's done some recruiting)

If he were aiming for Whitebeard, he would have attended the Shichibukai meeting, not come to Impel Down.
    I’m pretty sure he’s been set up to be a foil/rival from the very beginning.

Examples:
    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/223/16/
    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/225/12-13/

Also, in the surrounding chapters it outlines the traditional pirate era zeitgeist ( “Let’s get One Piece!”) and introduces the new modern ideal (“Everything can be explained, dreamers are fools”), championed by Bellamy and crew. Despite the new modern ideal being setup as the antagonist philosophy, there’s a huge amount of attention placed on the fact that even though Blackbeard seems to disagree with Luffy about everything, including the taste of food- He doesn’t disagree with Luffy about dreams, and he doesn’t subscribe to the new era ideal. He sticks with the old dreaming ways of Luffy, Shanks, etc.

I’m assuming the D in his name is more proof that he’s got the same dream and “will.”

That being said, it seems that everything Blackbeard’s done has been calculated out, each action is a little step in a giant plan designed to achieve whatever goal he has. In that way, he comes off as a guy that’s not doing it naturally like Luffy, whose success as a pirate is more of a result of who he is rather than a meticulous scheme. This kind of shows that he’s the other side of the “Will of D” coin, compared to Luffy.

So yeah- Blackbeard is set up to be the main villain (especially after the revelation that he injured Shanks, and captured Ace) and has the old dreaming ways of the rest of them, but in an evil and traitorous way.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't mind honorifics, but I think that with a proper professional translation you can get around them. Relying on them is a crutch, and it's fine for scanlations, but it annoys me in official translations.

Unless, of course, it's actually set in historical Japan and deals with court politics and whatnot, like The Yagyu Ninja Scrolls or Basilisk or Vagabond or what-have-you.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lovely wrote: »
    Er, anyways, official colorings of the Umineko character designs. It's looking good~.

Is the character with the red beret supposed to be a guy or a pettanko? It's right on that androgynous line that makes it hard for me to tell.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Finally finished the first season of Stand Alone Complex.

I just want to apologize for what I said about Tachikomas. :(

You are forgiven. They might seem like some kind of cute mascot character, but what they pull at the end of season one pretty much makes up for everything ever.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FCD wrote: »
    Er, anyways, official colorings of the Umineko character designs. It's looking good~.

Is the character with the red beret supposed to be a guy or a pettanko? It's right on that androgynous line that makes it hard for me to tell.

Heh, had to look "pettanko" up. Anyways, nah, he's not a flat chested girl, he's a boy. His name is Kanon.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pettan, tsurupettan.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    risumon wrote: »
    Like take Naruto, he uses dattebayo all the time, but does anyone still tack that on? At least I am assuming he still uses that phrase, unless he grew out of it in the new series.

I've read all of the official english manga releases and he's never said it once. The dub of the show changed it to "believe it!" for a little while before dropping it completely.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FCD wrote: »

Heh, had to look "pettanko" up. Anyways, nah, he's not flat chested girl, he's a boy. His name is Kanon.

Thanks for the info.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Also, I don't see how using honorifics is any different than using a priori, a posteriori, and gestalt. English is by nature a mongrel language. Get used to it.

Except that the words you used are common loanwords. Japanese honorifics aren't. In addition, as people have pointed out, politeness in English isn't expressed directly in verbiage, but more subtly in inflection and tone of the words used.

Honorifics cover more things than politeness. Also, a word like gestalt may be a common loan word now but originally it was probably something used only by German-philosophy fanboys. Language evolves.

Are you seriously suggesting that the English language is going to evolve to include Japanese honorifics?

Because if you are I might have to figure out some way to slap you through the internet

No. We don't need them because western social structure works differently.

THEN STOP SAYING "LANGUAGE EVOLVES"

THANK YOU GOOD NIGHT

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eden of the East answers the question, "What happens if I run around Pennsylvania Avenue, naked except for a cell phone and a Saturday night special?"

Because, you know, this is always something I've wondered. Now, I need to find out what happens if you do that in front of the Kremlin Necropolis with a Tokarev and a pager and No. 10 Downing Street with a Webley revolver and a smartphone, and I'll have answered all of life's questions. Naked, of course.

Seriously, though, I have no idea where this is going (I'm vaguely thinking somewhere between Read or Die and the Laughing Man episodes of Stand Alone Complex's first season), and I really want to see.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Eden of the East answers the question, "What happens if I run around Pennsylvania Avenue, naked except for a cell phone and a Saturday night special?"

Because, you know, this is always something I've wondered. Now, I need to find out what happens if you do that in front of the Kremlin Necropolis with a Tokarev and a pager and No. 10 Downing Street with a Webley revolver and a smartphone, and I'll have answered all of life's questions. Naked, of course.

Seriously, though, I have no idea where this is going (I'm vaguely thinking somewhere between Read or Die and the Laughing Man episodes of Stand Alone Complex's first season), and I really want to see.

And the award for most (only?) appropriate use of English in an anime goes to...

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

And the award for most (only?) appropriate use of English in an anime goes to...

"You're gonna have to show me your johnny"

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »

"You're gonna have to show me your johnny"

I really thought she meant "John Hancock" as in signature

Boy was my face red

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My Photoshop skrillz are non-existent...
    obj.jpg

I am almost frothing at the mouth for the new Eden of the East. Best show of the season for me...besides Sengoku Basara, of course.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Toefoo wrote: »
    I am almost frothing at the mouth for the new Eden of the East. Best show of the season for me...besides Sengoku Basara, of course.

"You're gonna have to PUT YA GUNS ON"

Rust on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rust wrote: »

And the award for the most awesome gratuitous English goes to...

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

LETS PARTY!

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

LETS PARTY!

This has been an announcement from the government policy promotion department: your special remedy for all kinds of evil.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    blkmage wrote: »
    Katawa Shoujo is one giant surprise. It's amazing that they managed to pull off the concept without making it even kind of offensive. On top of that, it's got pretty decent art and it's produced by a bunch of Internet randoms from /a/. And bonus points for being cross-platform.

Yeah when someone recommended it to me, I thought it was going to be horrible fetish material. It was a pleasant surprise when it turned out not to be the case!

Yeah I'm looking forward for the full release.

Mainly for Rin.

Rin is awesome. More stories need someone like Rin.
    screenshot0002.png

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    obj.jpg

Ahahahah! Brilliant :D . Mind if I re-post that in a few places?

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Pettan, tsurupettan.

Goddamit, now that song is going to continue being stuck in my head :lol: .

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    obj.jpg

Ahahahah! Brilliant :D . Mind if I re-post that in a few places?

Be my guest!

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My review of the pre-OP of Eden of the East 6
    Oh....shit.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DragonPup wrote: »
    My review of the pre-OP of Eden of the East 6
    Oh....shit.

Thank you for reminding me, I almost forgot to grab it!

Edit: Oh shits, K-ON! 7.

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So, uh, Re: Eden of the East...

What's a NEET?

Did I miss the bulletin in ep. 1, or is it just part of the mystery?

metaghost on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's a term that's assumed that you know what it means - I had to look it up, too.

Not currently engaged in Employment, Education or Training.

Basically, it's unemployed who have given up on finding a job. It's apparently a major societal problem in Japan.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    metaghost wrote: »
    So, uh, Re: Eden of the East...

What's a NEET?

Did I miss the bulletin in ep. 1, or is it just part of the mystery?

I forget what exactly the acronym stands for, but it's a dude who is out of school and without a job. I'm a little surprised at the number of dudes in this thread who didn't know this beforehand.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    You should watch Welcome to the NHK, the whole show is about NEETs/Hikikomori.

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That show is depressingly good.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Yea, I definitely recommend watching it in small increments and maybe chasing it with K-ON! or something sweet. I blew through the entire series in a weekend though, and it really really depressed me, hahaha.

Toefoo on
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Yea, I definitely recommend watching it in small increments and maybe chasing it with K-ON! or something sweet. I blew through the entire series in a weekend though, and it really really depressed me, hahaha.

Yeah I read the entire manga in one day while I was sick and had nothing better to do.

It was quite the experience.

Slicer on
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one to be in the dark about NEET. I was gonna figure it out through context somehow as the show went along.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I can't tell if it's just GG's subtitles, but Eden of the East has some really weird writing.

Could be I'm just slow on the uptake. Still eagerly waiting for the next episode to finish downloading, it's pretty rare for me to want to watch three episodes of a new show in one day.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The latest Saki was rather good--I have no clue how to play mahjongg, but the intensity of it is clear.

Of course, the team will have to be challenged some time in the future, but for now their victories are proving to be entertaining.

Phantom is my favorite show of the season, mostly because it has this epic vocal background music playing at appropriately dramatic points. The entire concept is cool, especially now that he's attempting to recover his identity.

edit: the saki ED is the best, though.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »
    The latest Saki was rather good--I have no clue how to play mahjongg, but the intensity of it is clear.

What is it with extreme mah-jongg manga? I've been keeping up with Akagi and it's basically Yu-Gi-Oh except every player including (especially) the titular character is sort of a psychopath.

Also newest Soul Eater, holy shit.
    I thought Justin Law was pretty rockin' before, say it ain't so!

Also SUPER-SPEED LIGHTNING TONFA

Rust on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I tried watching Phantom with raws, which I thought would be hard, but surprisingly I can understand most of it! And if I don't understand a word, I just look it up, so it benefits my studying too. So I guess I get to keep watching this show after all.
    Show is getting interesting. Zwei is moving away from the stoic persona cultivated in the last few episodes. And the ending of episode 7 was just oozing with foreshadowing that Ein and Zwei will face off. Shame that they have to, since they kind of made a good team, and I kind of wished they'd escape that life together. But they just have to be manipulated by the higher-ups. Ms. McCunnen is a bitch.

Now to watch Eden of the East.

Oh, and I still maintain that Phantom has the best OP of the season. You Eden of the East guys can suck it.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    Oh, and I still maintain that Phantom has the best OP of the season. You Eden of the East guys can suck it.

Agreed

Did you notice that in episode 7
    the arm twitch Zwei made as he was attempting to escape from Ein on his hands and knees was the same as the arm motion in the OP?

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »
    darksteel wrote: »

Agreed

East of Eden's OP seems suspiciously like a car commercial, for something like a Scion or another boxy, unattractive automobile.

That being said, I'm far more concerned about a series' entertainment value than its cool OP. Cool OPs are great, but they're just that. They can't save shows like Gundam Wing.

Synthesis on