As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Horrible Deus Ex Machina moments

Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
This has nothing to do with the game named Deus Ex, but I it could be related :P

A deus ex machina (pronounced /ˈdeɪəs ɛks ˈmɑːkinə/ or /ˈdiːəs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/,[1] literally "god from the machine") is a plot device in which a person or thing appears "out of the blue" to help a character to overcome a seemingly insolvable difficulty.

I've always loved the 90's Batman animated series, but one thing I always hated were half the episodes with Robin in them. As always, Batman would kick some ass, overcome the odds and such, but whenever he was faced with a deadly situation he would get out of it. The exceptions were when Robin was in the episode and Batman was literally seconds from death before Robin busted in at the exact right moment and saved Batsy. I'm talking about, if Robin wasn't there, Batman would of been killed ouright by a bullet in the brain or another horrible death.

That's an example of a Deus Ex Machina, a moment in a story where the character is saved by a completley random, co-incidental or improbable means and these happen all the times in gaming. The most blatantly obvious, horrible one I witnessed recentley was Metal Gear Solid 4 fairly near the end of the game
An already decrepid Snake has just crawled through a hallway of microwave energy emitters, basically cooking him to death as you frantically mash the button to help him crawl inch by inch to the exit. After this 50 second long sequence, Snake finally exits the hallway, near enough dead as about 10 goons advance on him, all armed with heavy weaponry as they patientley let Otacon give Snake a pep talk. At any point they could of simply shot snake, but when they finally decide to do end this, that very second, an armless ninja Raiden with a sword in his teeth busts in and saves Snake.

Anyone have any good examples as blantly obvious Deus Ex Machina gaming moments that were head slappingly poorly executed?

tf2_sig.png
Hotlead Junkie on

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In what little I've played of Metal Gear Solid (namely the second game) I always felt that the game parodied such storytelling moments by using them in blatantly over-the-top fashion.

Perhaps that's just what I told myself to stay sane throughout the game's plot, mind you. :P

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The title of the thread makes me want to reinstall Deus Ex. I was so close to making it a whole year.

Burgu on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Super Stardust, the Amiga AGA sequel to Stardust, was remade on the PC in 1996 under the title "Super Stardust 96." It featured, among other things, a spiff set of CG cinematics.

At the beginning of the game, Earth is destroyed. By the evil Dr. Schaumund, I think. You must now fight for, uh, something; I don't quite remember. But anyway. At the end of the game...
    It is revealed that the whole thing was Dr. Schaumund's April Fool's joke. The earth wasn't actually destroyed. YOU JUST SHOT WAVE AFTER WAVE OF BADDIES FOR A LONG TIME FOR NOTHING. This still sticks in my mind as both the worst deus ex machina and the worst ending in general to any game ever.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Super Stardust, the Amiga AGA sequel to Stardust, was remade on the PC in 1996 under the title "Super Stardust 96." It featured, among other things, a spiff set of CG cinematics.

At the beginning of the game, Earth is destroyed. By the evil Dr. Schaumund, I think. You must now fight for, uh, something; I don't quite remember. But anyway. At the end of the game...
    It is revealed that the whole thing was Dr. Schaumund's April Fool's joke. The earth wasn't actually destroyed. YOU JUST SHOT WAVE AFTER WAVE OF BADDIES FOR A LONG TIME FOR NOTHING. This still sticks in my mind as both the worst deus ex machina and the worst ending in general to any game ever.

What? That sounds like the best ending to a game ever :D

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Certainly sounds like the funniest ending to any game ever. Hah hah FOOLED YOU!! :lol:D::|

WMain00 on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This was always something that struck me about the Half-Life series, as much as I loved them- particularly the Opposing Force expansion and Gunman Chronicles (same engine, nothing to do with the franchise).

There's always just the one convenient pipe breakage or cracked wall to let you continue without dying because of the environment or just being perpetually trapped. It's part and parcel of the narrative convenience necessary for linear, script-driven games, but it always made me go "huh, how fortunate".

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What about deus ex machina in terms of hindering characters out of the blue? Because there is a lot of that. And/or non sequiter endings/bosses.

The one I always remember is Final Fantasy Legend on the Gameboy. You climb this massive tower which has never been successfully scaled, going through several minor worlds on the way, having some interesting adventures. I guess the ending wasn't totally off because you didn't know what to expect in the first place...but basically, you reach the top and you're in heaven! God comes and congratulates you and says "Hey good job climbing this tower guys, I wanted to see if anyone could and you guys did! Feel free to live forever in paradise." Your party takes exception to this, calling Him a manipulator or something and so you attack and kill God. With chainsaws. Heaven now empty, your party finds a door and goes through it and that's the end.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    This was always something that struck me about the Half-Life series, as much as I loved them- particularly the Opposing Force expansion and Gunman Chronicles (same engine, nothing to do with the franchise).

There's always just the one convenient pipe breakage or cracked wall to let you continue without dying because of the environment or just being perpetually trapped. It's part and parcel of the narrative convenience necessary for linear, script-driven games, but it always made me go "huh, how fortunate".

Half-Life 2 and the two episodes have this in spades also. If Gordon Freeman had a quarter for every time a fortuitous event allowed him to progres through an otherwise blocked area, he'd be rich AND famous instead of just famous.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What about deus ex machina in terms of hindering characters out of the blue? Because there is a lot of that. And/or non sequiter endings/bosses.

The one I always remember is Final Fantasy Legend on the Gameboy. You climb this massive tower which has never been successfully scaled, going through several minor worlds on the way, having some interesting adventures. I guess the ending wasn't totally off because you didn't know what to expect in the first place...but basically, you reach the top and you're in heaven! God comes and congratulates you and says "Hey good job climbing this tower guys, I wanted to see if anyone could and you guys did! Feel free to live forever in paradise." Your party takes exception to this, calling Him a manipulator or something and so you attack and kill God. With chainsaws. Heaven now empty, your party finds a door and goes through it and that's the end.

Final Fantasy Legend: Nietszche Wasn't Bullshitting Us

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Always found the Resident evil games bad for this;
    When you suddenly through various means are handed the most powerful weapon in the game, which is also the only way of beating the big monster boss by random characters depending on which game in the series

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love Deus Ex, but it always cracked me up how EVERY enemy base had a few conveniently unguarded vents to crawl through. Why waste time hacking cameras and computers when there's practically a glowing arrow over every vent saying "In here, jackass".

NaturalNarcissist on
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Yeah, I remember that bugging me too. The worst thing was that I thought they actually went up to the door but then said "Screw it, let's go back home and forget the door that nobody's ever opened before!" I mean isn't the whole point that they were trying to make their way to where nobody had ever been, and now they're just saying "Whatever" at the last minute after traveling to the top and killing God while they're at it? Always struck me as frustrating.

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The original Japanese might have explained it better on SaGa 1, but yeah. Still, in what other game are you going to kill the Creator with a Chainsaw?

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Seems like the Suikoden games had a few egregrious examples of these, but I can't remember any offhand.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Snip.

Dude. Final Fantasy Legend's plot was

1.Standard Fantasy, save king's crush, get his armor, king with sword is a dick, kill him, king shield is murdered by his chancellor, who you reduce to a bloody pulp, shame, was a nice dude. Kill goddamn fiend, get sphere, leave.

2.Waterworld, only one dude there, hounded by fiend2, he apparently IS half of the sphere, and dies.

3.Cloud World, Fiend 3 has taken over world, join badguys, try to save day, Jeannette betrays everybody, then dies later saving her little sister, what the fuck did you think would happen Jeanette, kill fiend, sphere, door.

4.Post-apocalyptic remnants of futuristic city, biker gang, they're awesome, leader goes through nuke silo, dying so that you may nuke that bastard's forcefield, gang all gets killed by fiend 4 who claims to have destroyed the world, kill fiend 4, biker's sister dies, sphere, sad music, door.

God:HEY, I'M THE GUY WHO DID THIS, I DID IT BECAUSE I WAS BORED.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »

Half-Life 2 and the two episodes have this in spades also. If Gordon Freeman had a quarter for every time a fortuitous event allowed him to progres through an otherwise blocked area, he'd be rich AND famous instead of just famous.
    Well we don't know whether or not the Gman has anything to do with it. The guy did basically save his life in Half Life.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love Deus Ex, but it always cracked me up how EVERY enemy base had a few conveniently unguarded vents to crawl through. Why waste time hacking cameras and computers when there's practically a glowing arrow over every vent saying "In here, jackass".
    The game... lives up to its name!

I think Valkyria Chronicles had a bit of it in the end.
    Max is defeated! The Marmota is blowing up! Aaaaaand here comes Isara's airplane sweeping in to the rescue in the nick of time! Sure, the airplane's been shown and mentioned beforehand. Finishing it right in time for it to make its dramatic rescue? That's stretching it.

[tiny]It was awesome, though.[/tiny]

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    The game... lives up to its name!

I dunno if that counts, it wasn;t the only solution available.

Because every problem could pretty much be solved by applying Object A (Where Object A is a GEP gun or the Dragon Tooth Sword) to Object B (Where object B is a door, safe, wall, window, person, object, plant, philosophical question, abstract though or the moon)

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The ending of Splinter Cell. Sam Fisher has to snipe the big bad guy from across a courtyard and you're about out of ammo for your rifle. But lucky you! There's some ammo sitting on the railing in front of your perch. There's no reason for it to be sitting there. No guards around. No armory nearby. There's just a happy pack of ammo waiting for you just so you can finish the game.

Also SPACE QUEST 6. It might not be a Deus Ex Machina but the thing that saves Roger Wilco from the boss in the end is ridiculous.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The end of Star Fox Assault. (Or was it armada? I can never remember)

"Holy crap like half the main cast is dead or infested by horrible space monsters and you're the only one left who can stop them OH WAIT NO THEY'RE ALL FINE YAAAAY"

I prefer character deaths to have meaning; if you're going to pull over a "oh noes he died" thing, don't ruin it by bringing them back later. Either leave them dead or never do that situation to begin with.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    The end of Star Fox Assault. (Or was it armada? I can never remember)

"Holy crap like half the main cast is dead or infested by horrible space monsters and you're the only one left who can stop them OH WAIT NO THEY'RE ALL FINE YAAAAY"

I prefer character deaths to have meaning; if you're going to pull over a "oh noes he died" thing, don't ruin it by bringing them back later. Either leave them dead or never do that situation to begin with.

Hell, you can add Star Fox 64.

Andross: "If I go down, I'm taking you with me!"
    "NOOOO!" *boom*
    Mystery voice: "Don't ever give up, my son."

emnmnme on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The ending of Splinter Cell. Sam Fisher has to snipe the big bad guy from across a courtyard and you're about out of ammo for your rifle. But lucky you! There's some ammo sitting on the railing in front of your perch. There's no reason for it to be sitting there. No guards around. No armory nearby. There's just a happy pack of ammo waiting for you just so you can finish the game.

Similarly, near the end of Velvet Assassin, you have to shoot a German officer through his window and there is, conveniently, a nearby windmill that allows you to see right into his room. But you need a sniper rifle. Some friendly German has conveniently left one in the very mill you have to take the shot from.

Why leave a sniper rifle where their commanding officer is the most vulnerable from? So he can be shot by any wayward British secret agent, obviously.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This thread is interesting because game design is basically about constructing deus ex machinas to make the game as fun as possible and then seamlessly calling a gamers attention to them.

So I can't see them as a bad thing in a game, seeing as they're the point.

Probably just me.

(Not talking about plot or story, but things like pathways and ammo.)

Seeing as it's not possible to accurately predict a players actions in a game, these things usually go out of their way to scream "look at me" as much as possible, so as to prevent that game appearing in another thread, for example "Sucky games that suck because and why" with the reason "You don't have enough ammo/weapons/get lost too easy".

A deus ex machina is a narrative plot point within a story that is fully constructed: they are bad because they are fully constructed. AS the story teller, they could have done something better within a universe completely under their own control.

In the case of ammo or weapons, they did do the best they could, because it's not fully constructed. They don't have perfect control over you, the player. The context is completely different, and thus the same judgements aren't as relevant.

That's why I think gameplay devices aren't interesting deus ex machinas. It's like accusing a scarecrow of being a strawman. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Going along with Sporky's example (even though the Legend series is based on another series and isn't Final Fantasy, per se), but every single Final Fantasy to date has been chock full of "just in time" situations where the good guys/world/kingdom/weapon would die if not for people showing up at the speed of plot to save the day.

IIRC, Final Fantasy 4 alone had 4 different moments like that.
    However, when the big robot pops up, intent on destroying the world, every faction you've come into contact with so far in the story all teaming up to get slaughtered so you can be airlifted inside the robot was fucking epic. The dwarf tanks were awesome, and I'll remember your sacrifice forever NEVER FORGET!

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I personally believe there's a difference between a Deus Ex Machina and a surprise at the climax of the story or even a twist ending (like "Sixth Sense"). The original term refers to plays which would have characters that are "taken or saved by the gods". The entity standing in for the gods in this case was a complex and strange crane that literally lifts the protagonist or chorus out of the way... much like the Helicopter in "Miss Saigon", actually.

While some folks expand the term to mean "anything that happens out of the blue", Deus Ex Machina is typically used in a negative connotation specifically for devices that break the internal consistency of the narrative. When you spend the entire book saying "This virus is the most deadliest thing known to man", it's a Deus Ex Machina at the end to have it turn into a harmless virus that poses no danger to man (the example used here is Michael Crichton's The Andromeda Strain). The bad part is not that it's "fully constructed", mind you... it takes you out of the story in a jarring way because up until the climax, the action and narrative builds to one conclusion and the Deus Ex Machina takes you out of that conclusion entirely. The author could fully intend to have the book end in this manner (the irony of aliens dying to common disease in "War of the World", for example), but it doesn't make sense according to the story you've been building. It is illogical to the reader, much like using pseudo-scientific babble in bad science fiction.

For example, most people would not say that Han Solo coming back to save Luke on the Death Star run is a Deus Ex Machina. While his character is a mercenary and a scoundrel, he has a real attachment to "the kid" and even invites Luke to go with him. There's foreshadowing that tells you that we haven't seen the last of this character. The big detail is that we've seen him throughout the film, and he doesn't randomly appear at the end just for the purposes of saving Luke during the Death Star trench run. It is fully constructed, but it's not a Deus Ex Machina.

The G-man in Half-Life can be considered a Deus Ex Machina, although there is some foreshadowing of his presence and his job throughout the game. He just suddenly appears at the end of the game and says "Come with me if you want to live, or die in this alien world." The manner of his appearance at the end of Half-Life 2 can also be considered a Deus Ex Machina, if it weren't for the fact that you've already seen him in this way before in the previous game, and he briefs you on what you are supposed to do at the beginning of the game.

Contrast this with "Mary Sue" characters, who are usually over-idealized characters that save the day. The use of Robin to save the day in Batman: The Animated Series is probably more of a Mary Sue character than a Deus Ex Machina. A true Deus Ex Machina would be Superman flying into the story to save Batman from falling off a cliff. With Robin, you expect him to come at the right time and right place, because that's the role that Robin has in the overall storyline, for better or for worse.

EDIT: "Here comes the calvary" doesn't necessarily have to be a Deus Ex Machina. For example, the Rohirrim coming to save Helm's Deep in the nick of time is foreshadowed throughout the movie "The Two Towers". Even the elves arriving at Helm's Deep isn't a Deus Ex Machina, because they do little to change what happened in the narrative of the book(it's almost an opposite of a Deus Ex Machina... a jarring new entity comes in, and DOES NOTHING). In many cases, of course, the arrival of the calvary to save the day is a Deus Ex Machina, but most writers go to lengths to make sure that the "calvary" is internally consistent with what would actually happen.

As Tom Clancy says: "“The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The cavalry showing up just in the nick of time has been a staple of entertainment since well, forever.

That's why the ending to CoD4 was so badass where:
    everybody gets killed before the good russians show up

And probably why so many people had so many problems with the ending. Hell, the ending to The Mist was attacked by critics for being so unconventional, where:
    Dude gives up, gives his kid and friends merciful quick deaths and then the cavalry arrives to save the day

If you have a big climatic firefight where the good guys get pinned down and death seems inevitable, unless you have a brazen deus ex moment then the game is over. That can be good, but you cannot say with a straight face that you don't get a huge thrill when the jet comes roaring over the hill and blows up the waves of bad guys that were about to fuck your face up.

I agree with Morninglord, that game design is all about making huge deus ex machinas that blend seamlessly into the experience and give us adrenaline induced chills.

Robman on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Despite the fact that the topic isn't about it, that sound you hear off in the distance is over a 100 gamers reinstalling Deus Ex.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Thirith wrote: »
    In what little I've played of Metal Gear Solid (namely the second game) I always felt that the game parodied such storytelling moments by using them in blatantly over-the-top fashion.

Perhaps that's just what I told myself to stay sane throughout the game's plot, mind you. :P

I'm not sure it's actually parody so much as completely over the top like the rest of the plot. That's why I loved the series so much though. Pretty much anything could happen at any time. It's the anticipation of that something that'll come save your ass from inevitable doom and wondering what it'll be that makes it great.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, with Morninglord here. If the convenience is there so the player doesn't get screwed because he Played The Level Wrong I don't see it as a bad thing. Finding ammo would be a deus ex machina if the game actually dictated that there was absolutely none before, and said ammo pack was the only possible way to finish the game.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Thirith wrote: »

I'm not sure it's actually parody so much as completely over the top like the rest of the plot. That's why I loved the series so much though. Pretty much anything could happen at any time. It's the anticipation of that something that'll come save your ass from inevitable doom and wondering what it'll be that makes it great.
    That's the problem with surprises. If the audience cheers, it's awesome writing. If the audience says "What the fuck?", it's a Deus Ex Machina. :-P

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Why does the first page of this thread give me this warning in Google Chrome?
    Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
    The website at forums.penny-arcade.com contains elements from the site www.pulparcade.com, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
    For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.pulparcade.com.
    Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The website at forums.penny-arcade.com contains elements from the site www.pulparcade.com, which appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
    For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.pulparcade.com.

God did it

Rent on
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    The cavalry showing up just in the nick of time has been a staple of entertainment since well, forever.

Dude I just played through CoD4
    Such a dramatic ending, I almost thought Cpt. Price was going to make it, then I see the medic pounding on his chest and I'm like NOOOOOOO! I don't think I explicitly saw what happened to Gaz, I assumed he died too. The part in the middle where you play the marine who gets nuked is pretty fucked up too.

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    lazerbeard wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »

Dude I just played through CoD4
    Such a dramatic ending, I almost thought Cpt. Price was going to make it, then I see the medic pounding on his chest and I'm like NOOOOOOO! I don't think I explicitly saw what happened to Gaz, I assumed he died too. The part in the middle where you play the marine who gets nuked is pretty fucked up too.
    Gaz was shot in the face.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, if we talk about every gameplay-related Deus Ex Machina, we'd be talking about nearly every game...
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Long Dues Ex Machina explanation

I've always been told that a basic sign of a Deus Ex Machina is that it completly relives the main character(or in this case, the PC) of any responsiblity or consequences, giving him or her a happy ending or extra chance dispite the expected, less-than-happy conlusion of thier actions. One example I can think of, is from Tales of Symphonia (Mid Disc 1 spoiler):
    Lloyd and gang, the first time they enter the Tower of Salvation, are saved at the last moment after fighting a hopeless, unwinnable battle against one of the main bad guys, whose name I'm and not even going to begin to try and spell :P

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

That's an example of a Deus Ex Machina, a moment in a story where the character is saved by a completley random, co-incidental or improbable means and these happen all the times in gaming. The most blatantly obvious, horrible one I witnessed recentley was Metal Gear Solid 4 fairly near the end of the game
    An already decrepid Snake has just crawled through a hallway of microwave energy emitters, basically cooking him to death as you frantically mash the button to help him crawl inch by inch to the exit. After this 50 second long sequence, Snake finally exits the hallway, near enough dead as about 10 goons advance on him, all armed with heavy weaponry as they patientley let Otacon give Snake a pep talk. At any point they could of simply shot snake, but when they finally decide to do end this, that very second, an armless ninja Raiden with a sword in his teeth busts in and saves Snake.

Anyone have any good examples as blantly obvious Deus Ex Machina gaming moments that were head slappingly poorly executed?

Sorry dude, but
    Raiden saving snake happened before the microwave hallway scene. I remember this because while you're crawling it cuts to clips of raiden fighting the dudes.

Doesn't change the deus ex-iness of it, but yanno.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How has no one mentioned Metal Gear Solid 2 yet?

"She is Lady Luck."

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What is the current listing status for www.pulparcade.com?
    Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 5 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?
    Of the 191 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 84 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2009-05-15, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2009-05-15.
    Malicious software includes 68 scripting exploit(s), 7 trojan(s), 1 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 3 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 3 domain(s), including 61.135.179.0/, cgi35.plala.or.jp/bto/, milehighhomefinder.com/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including cgi35.plala.or.jp/bto/.

This site was hosted on 2 network(s) including AS26347 (DREAMHOST), AS15169 (GOOGLE).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
    Over the past 90 days, www.pulparcade.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?
    No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?
    In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't think this counts, but it is vaguely related to the topic of the thread, and I think it actually says a lot about game design.

I played a lot of Mario Party 1 back in the day, on the N64.

This game involves a dice, which determines how many squares you can move. If you could 'solve' the dice, and find out a way to successfully get the result you want from the throw of the dice, you would be a long way to mastering the game.

The process of throwing the dice is presented as an item box with a number on it, that is changing constantly. Your character is underneath this box, and to "throw" the dice, you press a button, which makes your character jump, which stops the item box on the number it is on.

This game tells you something along the line of "time your jumps carefully to get the number you desire".

The instructions are, effectively "Master this system, and you will be rewarded with success in this game."

I never seemed to be able to do so. No matter how I tried to time my jumps, it felt like the timing had zero impact on the result of the dice throw.

So, years later, I found a way of playing the game in a manner that allowed me to create a snapshot of the RAM in the console, and practice throwing the dice repeatedly, and then rewind the game back to its exact previous state.

I experimented with this, and found something that was fairly shocking.

The dice throws were predetermined.

No matter how you timed your jumps, the game had already decided before you had jumped what number you were going to get. The instructions "time your jumps carefully to get the number you desire" were a flat out lie, but the nature of the games design meant that under normal circumstances the player would have no way of knowing this, and no way of seeing 'behind the curtain'.

They specifically said that there was a mechanic to do with timing your jumps, when in fact they full well knew there was no such mechanic.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    heh, I was shocked when I first heard about that

Antimatter on