As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Team Fortress 2] No. That would be your mother. (Meet the spy link in op)

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I want to but I'm in a registration queue or something.

He also thinks its exclusive to Quebecois french ... And its not.

parabola on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    THIS JUST IN: PEOPLE ON INTERNET FORUMS ARE STUPID

MORE AT ELEVEN

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Yes, but then they posted that it is in fact the spy update. As well as saying the conspiracy theorists were right all along (that the update is really the spy update). Plus, it's not on the list of updates on the side, when they could've easily put "Spy/Sniper Update."

I'm just wondering. They might stagger the releases a week or two apart or something.

edit: not to mention they scratch off the word "sniper" in the update and put spy over it.

Parabola- The TF2 forums. Dude claims to speak French. Fuck if I know what it says. :mrgreen:

I think it's just for theatrics. When they started on this update, they said it was going to be one of the biggest yet, so if they don't roll out the hats and stuff for this update, it'll probably be both of them at the same time.

edit: ah, there's a link.

edit 2:
    Borys wrote: »
    - this is Pixar level of animation with 1/1000th of polygons, effects, money and manpower

I love valve as much as the next guy, but let's not go overboard. The animation is good, yes, but the graphics...mmm...not so much.

Skexis on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Skexis wrote: »
    edit 2:
    - this is Pixar level of animation with 1/1000th of polygons, effects, money and manpower

I love valve as much as the next guy, but let's not go overboard. The animation is good, yes, but the graphics...mmm...not so much.

Yes I believe he acknowledged that

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    well yeah, if your wood has enough water in it it might conduct electricity

blood conducts electricity

yep

how bout those electrolytes

tofu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    edit 2:

Well, he could mean two different things with "animation"

I just happened to take one and roll with it

gonna keep on rollin here

Skexis on
  • Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    edit 2:

Indeed I did.

Borys on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I mean, you mention an animation company, that produces movies (animation), whose inherent job is animation of a more specific kind.

I'm sorry I had a totally understandable misreading(?)

Skexis on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey Blu, have you ever blew up a pit?

That said, that was the greatest spy run I have ever had on Gold Rush, all two minutes of it.

I kept hearing RED Spy/BLU Scout in my head, even if I was nowhere as good we still rolled Blue at last cap. I'm really pitying those 3 engy's.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I mean, you mention an animation company, that produces movies (animation), whose inherent job is animation of a more specific kind.

The actual animation part was good. You're focusing on effects and polygons, which is something else entirely.

Animation means how things move, and all of the expressions, reactions, and nuanced movements in this video especially were really well done.

Just the part where the heavy breaks into the room and the stumbling soldier clips his face on the spinning minigun is a good example.

For reference to the opposite, see the cinematics from the first Halo

Fugitive on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So after finding out the spy was french I had a dream last night about all the exploits of TF2 taking place inside a Nazi Stalag during world war 2. Where they are all prisoners who are forced to compete in arena combat for the amusement of their captors (The Announcer, A Nazi sympathizer? She sure as hell sounds the part).

It makes sense.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It blows my mind how many people are just now realizing the spy is french.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    IIRC A couple of his quotes are in italian/spanish, which I think is where the confusion comes from.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Spy has unknown nationality. Loads of countries use the French language.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    He's from the Ivory Coast

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Do people seriously believe the spy is getting a throwable sapper unlock and that the video wasn't just artistic license?

Then again, judging by the amount of 'omg spy is french!!12' posts the official forums probably aren't the smartest place to judge.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm having some troubles loading TF2. Yes, I've searched steam support, the steam forums and google. So far I haven't found anything specific.

It's a pretty simple problem. I try to load TF2. Everything seems to go alright, until just before the menu screen loads. It gets perpetually stuck in the 'loading phase'. The cursor changes from a hourglass to a normal arrow, but nothing else happens. I can't use ctrl+alt+delete, alt+tab or alt+f4 either. I suspect this may have something to do with the new antivirus I installed: comodo. But I've made sure that valve is on my trusted software vendors list, and since it won't allow me to select the hl2 executable as another I'm not sure how to react.

One obvious thing I didn't think of until just now would be to shut down comodo and see if the game will run. I'll try that now.

EDIT: Yeah, shutting down the antivirus should have been the first thing I did. Problem solved.

Flay on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Do people seriously believe the spy is getting a throwable sapper unlock and that the video wasn't just artistic license?

Then again, judging by the amount of 'omg spy is french!!12' posts the official forums probably aren't the smartest place to judge.

And spy fu too.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »

The actual animation part was good. You're focusing on effects and polygons, which is something else entirely.

Animation means how things move, and all of the expressions, reactions, and nuanced movements in this video especially were really well done.

Just the part where the heavy breaks into the room and the stumbling soldier clips his face on the spinning minigun is a good example.

For reference to the opposite, see the cinematics from any other videogame that isn't from Valve

Fix'd. Valve's level of animation really helps with the immersion. It ruins other games for me (Bioshock, I'm looking at you), and allows them to be able to make movies like these in-engine.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fugitive wrote: »

For reference to the opposite, see the cinematics from the first Halo

This is exactly what I meant but I'm not very good with words.

Thanks for wording this out for me.

This level of animation is easily on par with say The Incredibles. Of course The Incredibles have 1000x the amount of geometry and stuff going on but that does not fit under animation in my post.

Borys on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I dare to say the script is easily Pixar-level too. Just like the best parts from Shrek/ Madagascar etc. only R-rated now.

Borys on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I dare to say the script is easily Pixar-level too. Just like the best parts from Shrek/ Madagascar etc. only R-rated now.
    Pixar-level
    Shrek/Madagascar

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I stick with what I said long ago in that if Valve made an hour and a half of game-based movie (or even less) in-engine, I would buy it.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Really the best part of the video is watching all the expressions and animations all the classes make. I always laugh when the scout is just in shock from the pictures of his mom and the Heavy is just staring blankly then finally realizes what they are and tilts his body and makes a "oooooooo" face.

RCagent on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The fact that my favorite class (spy) has, so far, the best 'meet-the' video is so nice.

Sooooo nice.

Who is missing a meet-the video? Or was that the last one?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    We still gots meet the Pyro, Medic and Announcer* to go.

*Whaaaat? She deserves a video, she's been with us through thick and thin!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    well yeah, if your wood has enough water in it it might conduct electricity

blood conducts electricity

yep

how bout those electrolytes

It's what plants crave.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    We still gots meet the Pyro, Medic and Announcer* to go.

*Whaaaat? She deserves a video, she's been with us through thick and thin!

wouldn't the 'meet the announcer' be the same as 'meet the pyro' lololol

Nuzak on
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    pyro and medic are missing videos now.

btw, anyone else think scouts mom is pyro?

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I always imagined the announcer to be somewhat like Linda Hunt...only maybe with grayer hair. Very vivid, I know...but that's just what I see.

linda-hunt-3-sized.jpg

and maybe with a touch of that little lady from The Incredibles

how-the-incredibles-works-6.jpg

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    dav3yb wrote: »

no, nobody thought that

ever

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Pixar-level
    Shrek/Madagascar

Heh.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If I recall correctly, the Announcer is the same voice-actress that did GLaDOS, correct?

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    dav3yb wrote: »

no, nobody thought that

ever

I could get down with that if that were the case.

Latex and leather, oh my :winky:

She can capture my point any time.

Theres a fire in my pants, and its all her fault.

[Sexual fire based euphamism No.42]

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, the Announcer is the same voice-actress that did GLaDOS, correct?

Also the Combine Overwatch. They mention in the commentary of TF2 that she's the only voice actor to be in all of the games in The Orange Box.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Meet the Pyro will go like this.

The Pyro burns things and chops things, maybe shotguns another pyro.

Then it's all "mmmmrph mmmm mmrff!" and lifts up a finger like "1 second please!"

Then off comes the mask and the pyro's a smoking hot blonde.
    Then the psycho theme starts playing and it zooms in on her neck, oh no adams apple! Pyro is a man! All the others then draw back in horror.

MEET THE PYRO!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't quite understand the 'Pyro is a girl' fervor...I mean, it seems the whole thing got started simply because the pyro technically could be a girl, the internet is all about the whole 'omg a girl!' thing, and nothing more.

Anyway, I could see Valve doing something where the pyro takes off his mask and his voice sounds the exact same. Then again, that kind of irony is sort of trite.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I liked the idea someone hear had awhile back... I'm paraphrasing... Shots of the Pyro kicking ass and doing random stuff, mixed with interviews with the other classes talking about him/her. All I remember from the original idea was one quote from the Engineer... "I've never seen him. Pretty sure he showers with that suit on." followed by a shot of, sure enough, Pyro taking a shower in the full suit.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't quite understand the 'Pyro is a girl' fervor...I mean, it seems the whole thing got started simply because the pyro technically could be a girl, the internet is all about the whole 'omg a girl!' thing, and nothing more.

There is a pink handbag with a flower on it above the pyro's suit in Red's spawn on Gravelpit. Theres probably more stuff, but thats NOT VERY MANLY.

Mandalorian Rooster on