As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime Thread] S2: Haruhi Strikes Back

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like the ending of Outlaw Star. Sure the animation, and hell, even the plot has that oh shit ran out of funding throw something together go go go kind of feel but its still a pretty good note for it to go out on.

Outlaw Star deserves credit for doing a lot better during funding shortages than a lot of modern shounen shows do. Personally, I thought it was fine all the way though--it's literally about the journey, not the destination. With that in mind, the final battle doesn't really matter that much (an overdramatic finishing battle shouldn't define an entire show, that's just sloppy writing) since getting there was the main point.

Then again, "you know the last battle we had? same thing, but turn it up to 11" lacks some serious variety. Suzuka was entertaining, but I'd rank her beneath a few of the other characters--then again, I felt the series had some really, really memorable characters in the time it came out.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Outlaw Star deserves credit for spawning Angel Links.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    polaris314 wrote: »
    Toefoo wrote: »
    darksteel wrote: »
    Also, holy shit, there was also a trailer for something called Last Exile and it is steampunk with airships, dirigibles, daring feats of air combat and oneupsmanship. At least that's the feel I'm getting. I'm a sucker for anything steampunk, and the visual style and technical design at least seems to be evoking that feel quite nicely. Is the story any good?

Definitely watch Last Exile if you like steampunk. It's a very very good show.

This. I just picked up the re-release (slim-line, 4 discs) this past weekend, since I never got around to owning the whole thing anyway. One of my favorites in recent years to be sure.

Hmm. I've been looking to fill the void of good writing that watching the whole of FMA at once has hit me with.

Would Last Exile do it for me?

Rchanen on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Rchanen wrote: »
    Also, holy shit, there was also a trailer for something called Last Exile and it is steampunk with airships, dirigibles, daring feats of air combat and oneupsmanship. At least that's the feel I'm getting. I'm a sucker for anything steampunk, and the visual style and technical design at least seems to be evoking that feel quite nicely. Is the story any good?

This. I just picked up the re-release (slim-line, 4 discs) this past weekend, since I never got around to owning the whole thing anyway. One of my favorites in recent years to be sure.

Hmm. I've been looking to fill the void of good writing that watching the whole of FMA at once has hit me with.

yes (for the most part.)

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    NotYou wrote: »
    Rchanen wrote: »

yes (for the most part.)

It's an interesting show, though it might be too slow for people (especially if you're more used to the pacing of shounen shows).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There are a lot of things going for Last Exile. Pacing and the last 6 episodes I would not necessarily number among them.

It's an anime where folks on a ship(caravan) travel around the world(universe, ocean) and end up saving the world(mars). The characters are pretty good and it is very pretty. The pacing is off at times. The end doesn't kinda comes out of left field and you don't really know what is going on till the end.

I like the look of last exile. I love the OP. The goat is absolutely adorable.

Xam'd and Eureka 7 were better, but last exile did have less emo bullshit than would normally occur, and there isn't too much of a romance. It's definitely better than scrapped princess.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    redx wrote: »
    Xam'd and Eureka 7 were better, but last exile did have less emo bullshit than would normally occur, and there isn't too much of a romantic relationship. It's definitely better than scrapped princess.

I actually thought Eureka 7 quickly delve into the whole token emo crap far too long to be, well, watchable. But I have an admittedly low tolerance for that sort of thing. It really didn't take long for Eurkea 7 to become too painful to watch. Scrapped Princess was much better (though I'm reluctant to compare them to Last Exile, just because of the plot differences).

I haven't seen the rest of Xam'd. Heard good things though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Up to the time skip on Gurren Laggan on Sci-Fi. Rossiu is such an ass.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    TheBoginatorTheBoginator Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eureka 7 I really did not like the progression of. It felt sort of meandering at points to me, especially right around when there was the episode when they played soccer the entire time so that Rintin (or whatever his name is) wouldn't be distracted by his hormones while he was with Eureka.

I'm also going to go ahead and be that guy and say I haven't enjoyed FLCL any of the times I've seen it.

TheBoginator on
    TheBoginator.gif
    Robman wrote: »
    No you don't. It's mass effect brah, just grab your controller in one hand and your dick with the other and go to town
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Honestly, I think I'm just partial to sky surfing robots, and due to a confluence of events and narcotics I really enjoyed the last few episodes. I can forgive a lot of emo because of it.

Xam'd does get emo for a while. Not nearly as long as Eureka 7, but it's kinda extended and hits all the different plot lines at about the same time. The pay off at the end it totally worth it, even though there isn't exactly a lot of foreshadowing about what the hell is going on.

TheBoginator has auto-ad-homineminated himself in my book. There are things wrong with people who don't like flcl and their opinions should be taken lightly.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Eureka 7 I really did not like the progression of. It felt sort of meandering at points to me, especially right around when there was the episode when they played soccer the entire time so that Rintin (or whatever his name is) wouldn't be distracted by his hormones while he was with Eureka.

I'm also going to go ahead and be that guy and say I haven't enjoyed FLCL any of the times I've seen it.

My old roommate saw episode 3 of FLCL or something (basically, not the first one) on Cartoon Network and refused to ever watch the entire series. *shrug*

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's odd, did they tell you what put them off about it?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Grenadier was bad about that, but the last fight in it is immensely bad ass. It makes watching the rest of it completely worthwhile.

Grenadier annoyed me. Not because of the boobs but because the Male lead started out as a Badass then never fought again EVER.

He literally existed because they needed a dude to peep and disagree with the chick but secretly agree with her.

That dude who used the steel cloth was awesome though.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I believe at the time he saw it, there was a series of o_O followed by a lot of "WTF"s.

I saw it myself and tried to get him to watch it, but he refused.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Cokebotle wrote: »

I believe at the time he saw it, there was a series of o_O followed by a lot of "WTF"s.

It should be pretty easy and obvious to understand how/why someone wouldn't like FLCL.

It's fucking bizarre.

I loved it. I thought it was great. But to any casual observer, FLCL had ostensibly high cuil levels. So bizarre and random it could be downright unwatchable.

Anyone here should be completely able to understand. I mean, even for anime, FLCL was weird.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009

It should be pretty easy and obvious to understand how/why someone wouldn't like FLCL.

It's fucking bizarre.

I loved it. I thought it was great. But to any casual observer, FLCL had ostensibly high cuil levels. So bizarre and random it could be downright unwatchable.

Anyone here should be completely able to understand. I mean, even for anime, FLCL was weird.

And episode 3 is the worst offender.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

It's fucking bizarre.

And episode 3 is the worst offender.

That's the cat ears one, right?

It's probably the show's low point, but the next episode is even more bizarre.

Rust on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, Full Swing is definitely the weirdest one, just for his dad being replaced by a robot and then he discovers his dad's dehydrated body being stored in the closet.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The Wave-Motion gun can now fire 6 times in a row. In other words, the theatrical version of Space Battleship Yamato looks to be released in December. I think.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, Full Swing is definitely the weirdest one, just for his dad being replaced by a robot and then he discovers his dad's dehydrated body being stored in the closet.

And him somehow killing the robot by hitting the TV set so hard an alarm clock goes flying off the television and cracks the robot's skull.

AND NOW HERE'S TESTICLE-CAT

Rust on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ugh, I just spent ALL my free time in the last few days (of which I have precious little lately) getting 100% completion on Kawato Shoujo... It's really good.

Falx on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, that cuil theory stiff is some wild shit.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    God!

I finally caught up on all my Manga.

Eyesheild 21: Americans are muscleheaded douchebags and Blacksupermen are our future is getting a bit silly. I really like these characters but I don't think I can read about them anymore.
    It's passed the level of Oh Japan! and went straight to Oh Japan . . .

One Piece-
    Continues to amaze me by making a character that surpasses 2 Bon Clay in terms of sheer uncomfortableness and is also a Rocky horror Picture show homage. The entire Pirate Prison has been insane and Oda's managed to make old Characters Like Buggy awesome and Guys like Crocodile even more awesome.

Oh and a Bondage Queen named Sadi chan God bless you Oda.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Rust wrote: »

And him somehow killing the robot by hitting the TV set so hard an alarm clock goes flying off the television and cracks the robot's skull.

AND NOW HERE'S TESTICLE-CAT

Yeah, I'd just filed that away under weird stuff when I watched the AS cut. My god they butchered that. Now I'm going to have to watch the damn thing online. Still, it was probably the anime-weird from three that got him. While four is bizarre, episode three has a robot accidentally pulling the pants off a girl.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Man, that cuil theory stiff is some wild shit.

I give you a hamburger.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh yes, they completely butchered FLCL on Adult Swim, what with the two slightly more pixelated nudity scenes and the cutting of the credits on the longer than normal finale.

Real 4 Kids work there.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh yes, they completely butchered FLCL on Adult Swim, what with the two slightly more pixelated nudity scenes and the cutting of the credits on the longer than normal finale.

Real 4 Kids work there.

They even bragged that FLCL only had 2 edits ever in one of their commercials.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Been watching Karas. This show is entirely too pretty.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hatsukoi Limited 6: Playing hard to get really does get you laid even if you're a lecherous butthole! Thank anime for these valuable life lessons.

It wouldn't be so embarrassingly laughable if it was someone like Harima Kenji. Hell, even that suicidal guy from GTO has some redeeming qualities. This guy however, unless he has an 8 inch penis, none.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So I'm thinking of going to A-Kon. Anyone gone before?

I'm still not sure, as I would be going by myself, so I don't know how fun that would be. And although I'm into anime, I'm not sure how much stuff I could find to entertain me.

I do think the sheer spectacle of it would be worth going for. Never gone to a real anime con before, and I hear A-Kon is one of the bigger ones.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Real 4 Kids work there.

And both of them were were in the last episode, not Full Swing.

They only sped up the credits the third or fourth time they ran the show. The first few times it was pretty much untouched. [as] said it was their favorite anime, so I can believe that they'd want to keep it untainted. Especially since they acquired it back when there was actually somewhat of a balance among the Williams Street folks between the anime guys and the comedy guys. Now it seems like the comedy guys have driven the anime guys out for the most part.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    Been watching Karas. This show is entirely too pretty.

You know what was awesome about Karas?

The year I had to wait for volume two.

I may be exagerating slightly not by much though.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zampano wrote: »

Real 4 Kids work there.

They only sped up the credits the third or fourth time they ran the show. The first few times it was pretty much untouched. [as] said it was their favorite anime, so I can believe that they'd want to keep it untainted. Especially since they acquired it back when there was actually somewhat of a balance among the Williams Street folks between the anime guys and the comedy guys. Now it seems like the comedy guys have driven the anime guys out for the most part.

Yeah, I've got the DVD's. That's exactly how it happened. Naota never actually hit anything but the TV.

There was one other edit in the second episode when Haruka screams "oh, SHIT!" as the police are coming, but that's hardly even noticeable.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Real 4 Kids work there.

The Comedy guys are ( mostly) unprofessional assholes. I'd leave too.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of going to A-Kon. Anyone gone before?

I'm still not sure, as I would be going by myself, so I don't know how fun that would be. And although I'm into anime, I'm not sure how much stuff I could find to entertain me.

I do think the sheer spectacle of it would be worth going for. Never gone to a real anime con before, and I hear A-Kon is one of the bigger ones.

I have not been to A-Kon, but I have been to several others. I can tell you that it is EXTREMELY easy to meet people there, and I've actually made friends that I still keep in contact with. If you're comfortable walking around by yourself sometimes, and can be sociable (ie you see someone wearing a shirt you recognize so you strike up a conversation, etc) then you'll have a ton of fun. Bonus fun points if you are 21+/are a drinker...not to sound like an alcoholic, but anime conventions can have some pretty crazy parties at night.

Edit: Should probably add that they usually have a bunch of cool stuff going on, such as: panels, artist gallery, video rooms, arcade, concert, big ass room to buy anything manga/anime/Japanese related.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Real 4 Kids work there.

Wait... who said anything about Adult Swim butchering FLCL?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Real 4 Kids work there.

The Comedy guys are ( mostly) unprofessional assholes. I'd leave too.

As I've said before, in a perfect world, the Adult Swim comedy guys would get their own channel to show all the crappy Tim and Eric-type shows they want, while the Adult Swim anime guys would get a channel to show some decent anime series, and perhaps even a few good American animated series, like Exo-Squad or suchlike.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Finished Karas. It was pretty great. And by great I mean oh my god it is unfathomable how pretty this show is. Ignoring how gorgeous it is, it had a great soundtrack and the fights were uniformly great. On the other hand, the plot was a disjointed mess. Not to the point where it detracted much from the show, and each plot element on it's own was ok, I just felt the show did nothing to really tie it all together.

On the topic of last weeks Bleach, and coincidentally frivolous bitching, episode 219 pissed me off. Not because it was a bad episode. In fact it was a great episode. What made me mad is that they busted out such high quality animation for such a throwaway fight. Where was this stuff during the Noitra fight? On the upside, for the first time in awhile Bleach has been consistently pretty great. From the little prequel series to now has been nothing but good to fantastic.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    How many episodes or OVAs was there of Karas? I remember seeing 3 of them. I feel I missed out on something.

And Bleach will hopefully stay looking pretty, but I feel that we are gonna hear about one of Ichigo's crazy weekends soon. I'm talking about filler if you guys didn't keep up with the convo yesterday.

The manga should hurry up and get with the craziness. This powering up and talking shit is getting boring.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Real 4 Kids work there.

Wait... who said anything about Adult Swim butchering FLCL?

Scalfin.
    Yeah, I'd just filed that away under weird stuff when I watched the AS cut. My god they butchered that.

Rust on