As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The real problems with InFamous

vash10887vash10887 Cabinet MechNYRegistered User new member
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
Everybody is ranting and raving about the lackluster morality system in InFamous. Yes, the morality was built up in the marketing process and does not quite deliver, but look at the story. What is the game itself trying to accomplish? It's trying to say something about the ends of that morality NOT the process. You are either a hero and lauded with praise and admiration or an infamous villain who is feared. It's about extremes and not moral ambiguity or neutrality.

Now onto the actual problem with InFamous and this is just my particular beef, feel free to add to or let me know how you feel (That is the point of these forums after all).

InFamous is a game that allows one to take on the role of a man given amazing electrical based powers, but he is also an urban acrobat. You are able to scale any building, lamp post, power cable, everything really, aside from perhaps a fence. All that and what could be missing? Oh wait...You can't go indoors. At least not in the demo that I have played so I may be a little premature in my observation, but from what I saw of the game it was another "open world" adventure title where nothing seems to happen inside those buildings you're climbing all over except perhaps in a cut scene.

This was a major problem of mine with Spider-Man Web of Shadows, which I do like, but hate that all of the story you're playing happens outdoors only.

Yes, it is fun to swing around as Spidey or climb and jump from buildings as Cole, but imagine the combat system in Web of Shadows indoors. Imagine the strategic possibilities for electric powers from INSIDE an apartment building.

I just think that everyone is missing the point with these games. Yes, the morality system is not the greatest, but what about this "open world" prison that we are put into after we have praised the developers for creating a place where nothing happens in those nicely rendered buildings?

Let me know what you think.

vash10887 on

• Options
    yzzlthtzyzzlthtz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Inside is good. Open world city with indoors-that's for a whole other generation of machines, I'd wager. I imagine procedurally generate apartments and offices, with windows you can smash through...pursuing an enemy into a building, down an elevator shaft, into a corridor, out a window back onto the streets...
    it's coming. at least 5 years though. i'd guess.

yzzlthtz on
    .O
    * \m/
    U
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hey dude, how does it feel having a conversation with yourself?

Also, pretty sure there's something specific in the rules about bitching and pissing and moaning about a full game when you've only played the demo.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What is wrong with all the idiot new posters lately? Lurk a little while before posting and read the rules. There's already a thread for Infamous on the first page.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=86144

Esh on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Your point is salient, OP.

But the "it's fantastic because zapping people in the face with electric love is fantastic" argument is the clear winner.

Now get thee to the link Esh posted. It's lonely in there.

Edit - Oh, and you can go down in the sewers. Which is inside. Zing!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    vash10887vash10887 Cabinet Mech NYRegistered User new member
    edited May 2009
    @yzzlthtz Thanks for giving me an actual answer and I absolutely agree. I do hope that we see something like that in the future. That image you created was even more than I'd been thinking of.

I was thinking of even stuff inside that would load, like pre-generated mission indoors even.

City of Heroes is an example where missions take place in buildings and it isn't even run off of a disc. I think they could do that with sandbox style games.

Though procedural generated is something I hadn't thought of and it sounds very exciting. You could add stealth mechanics to a Spider-Man title and make it really cool with procedural indoors missions and eviroments.

vash10887 on
  • Options
    vash10887vash10887 Cabinet Mech NYRegistered User new member
    edited May 2009
    See? I didn't know you could go into the sewers and that is an improvement. I suppose in hindsight I should have titled this thread, "My Problem with Sandbox Games" Lol

vash10887 on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Welcome to the PA forums, we try to keep discussion of specific games in one thread. This would probably be more appropriate in the existing inFamous thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=86144

Someone already told you that, but you didn't seem to notice.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    err.. this looks like spam

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Welcome to the PA forums, we try to keep discussion of specific games in one thread. This would probably be more appropriate in the existing inFamous thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=86144

Someone already told you that, but you didn't seem to notice.

jeeze fine, damn, sorry we bothered.

yzzlthtz on
    .O
    * \m/
    U
  • Options
    falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    err.. this looks like sopam

agreed, considering join date is today.

Though I will say, G&T is much more polite than SE++ would be about this sort of thing.

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    err.. this looks like sopam

agreed, considering join date is today.

Though I will say, G&T is much more polite than SE++ would be about this sort of thing.
    hmm, is this some new definition of the word Spam that I' not familiar with?

yzzlthtz on
    .O
    * \m/
    U
  • Options
    falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    we're just giving you a hard time consonant man. Welcome to PA forums. :-)

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    err.. this looks like spam

So why did you post in it?
    Also, pretty sure there's something specific in the rules about bitching and pissing and moaning about a full game when you've only played the demo.
    If you start saying stupid shit about a game and it becomes apparent that you have only played the demo, I reserve the right to fuck your mouth until you die.

Henroid on