As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Race Driver: GRID (NF56k)

2»

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think I played a demo and it was basically drift racing.

Is this a contender to GT or to NFS?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I prefer it to GT5: P if I'm honest. Whilst GT5 is pretty as hell I found it a little bland, Grid is much more fun.

It depends what you're after, I prefer to lean on the "arcadey" style of racing rather than realistic.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tzen wrote: »
    I hated the demo.

Dirt is a really good game. I personally detest point to point rally racing, but it's worth trudging through those events to get to the buggies, supertrucks, raids, and rig races. The physics are a bit off and they went a little nuts with the bloom/HDR, but it's nothing compared to GRID. In GRID the physics suck for a sim and suck for an arcade game, and they went INSANE with the bloom/HDR. The game literally makes my eyes burn after a couple minutes.

So if you try GRID and you don't like it, give Dirt a try anyway.

And the screenshots in the OP are NOT what this game looks like. I actually see some color saturation and the cars aren't glowing. Those are before they went batshit insane with the SEPIA TONE, BLUR, BLOOM and HDR fest.

Funny, I hated Dirt and loved GRID. And GRID is one of the best looking games I've ever played.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Tzen wrote: »
    I hated the demo.

Dirt is a really good game. I personally detest point to point rally racing, but it's worth trudging through those events to get to the buggies, supertrucks, raids, and rig races. The physics are a bit off and they went a little nuts with the bloom/HDR, but it's nothing compared to GRID. In GRID the physics suck for a sim and suck for an arcade game, and they went INSANE with the bloom/HDR. The game literally makes my eyes burn after a couple minutes.

So if you try GRID and you don't like it, give Dirt a try anyway.

And the screenshots in the OP are NOT what this game looks like. I actually see some color saturation and the cars aren't glowing. Those are before they went batshit insane with the SEPIA TONE, BLUR, BLOOM and HDR fest.

Funny, I hated Dirt and loved GRID. And GRID is one of the best looking games I've ever played.

Yeah i enjoy GRID a lot more than DIRT as well. Meh to each their own right? I like street racing more than rally so i guess thats why i like GRID.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I was hoping this would be like TOCA 3, but apparently it isn't.

I don't follow racing at all and I found TOCA 3 immensely fun. Multiple styles of racing, the game could have been easily sold as 3 seperate games. The default settings were arcadey enough to be fun and simmy enough to be challenge. I turned off the assists once and went all over the place, and would have rather had a wheel for the game if I was going to do that.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I just bought this on Steam during the holiday sale and have yet to play it - should I bother with keyboard controls, or just invest in a wheel or gamepad?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does it support using a mouse for the wheel? You can get by for a little while like that, but definitely worth getting a controller. A gamepad might be fine because it's a bit arcadey.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game is now 15 dollars new for the PC.

If you have just a passing interest in racing games I suggest you pick it up. It's not mash-the-gas arcade style, but strikes what I feel is a happy medium between NFS and GTR. You'll still need to have a basic understanding of braking and how to take corners, but GRID won't crush you if you understeer on a corner, or aren't 100% on the racing line. The flashback feature is nice since it allows you to take risks without having to restart the whole race again. The career mode involves a variety of events and cars, and has a real good sense of progression. First you'll start out driving for other teams, then you'll form your own team, and eventually you'll work you way up to competing in 24 hours of Le Mans. All in all it took me about 9 seasons to eventually win the Le Mans 24 hours, and I still was only halfway done with the career mode.

Only minor frustrations I've found only comes in the last third of the game. The AI starts to turn a bit bumper carish, and driving against Ravenwest can test your patience. These guys stick to the driving line, even if you're in the way, meaning if you're trying to pass them on a corner, be prepared to get sideswiped.

Overall, I'd say GRID is a must for any racing fan, casual or hardcore.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg