Options

[ PROTOTYPE ] - Rainbows and Unicorns on pg. 69.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    it depends on how high the helicopter is in my experience. If it is very high up he actually can't do much. Normally I get shot down by the military, but if they are ignoring me then you can plink away at him unmolested.

Huh, I mustn't have been as high as I thought, but I was pretty damn hard to spot from the ground. Also, did anyone else notice that the game mocks you with fighter jets during that battle which you can't hijack? What a tease.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Do you mean hard? If so, then yes, because it's a final boss.

I'm curious what the perfect boss fight is for people. I just came from the Zelda thread where they're talking about the bosses in TP being way too easy, they want Zelda to be harder.

But then I come to this thread, and people complain about how hard the bosses are. Which honestly, I liked, because I'd rather have a hard boss that I have to work at.

Oddly enough, Transformers Armada for the PS2 had the perfect difficulty for me. The henchmen were chumps (as in Prototype), but I beat every single boss with exactly one bar of health left, first try. I don't know how you can get better than that.

In contrast, Prototype ramps up to a ridiculous degree on every boss. One-hit kills, almost-one-hit kills, a steady flow of minions to foul up your aim...I guess you can't allow the player to steamroll the entire game but wtf was their QA team doing?

Monthenor on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Monthenor wrote: »
    I guess you can't allow the player to steamroll the entire game but wtf was their QA team doing?

Body surfing dudes the for hours, probably.

I'd have to say that HAWX has had the most agreeable difficulty for me in recent memory, just that right level of difficulty without being cheap.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I just recently got past the Times Square fight.

Man, what the fuck is with this game? That was the most annoying boss fight I've fought in a while.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Man, what the fuck is with this game? That was the most annoying boss fight I've fought in a while.

Tanks make it way easier.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Tanks make it way easier.
    My tanks got fucked up. So did my helicopters. Didn't die but that fight took forever. and the lead-up to it sucked too.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Green is easy when you figure out the ways to kill her.
    Even without muscle mass the best damage is cannonball. It's splash, extremely fast recovery, dead easy to set up and comes in like lightning so she can't do shit about it.

This game really needs to have better tutorials and hint texts to reveal the strategy for approaching each boss. All they really say is "Work it out yourself" and "btw if you are having difficulty buy all the upgrades" both of which aren't really good enough in terms of user friendliness. I only figured out the cannonball thing because when I got up to her on a new game + I kept repeating her from a checkpoint to try different things just to see if there was a nice easy way.

My credentials and indeed sources of this knowledge are in my sig, under the name "Green Tips 1 and 2" if anyone wants to go nuhuh go watch those first.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    man, i kept using the blade air attack that goes straight down, slashing a few times and getting the hell out of dodge. took 20 minutes.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    man, i kept using the blade air attack that goes straight down, slashing a few times and getting the hell out of dodge. took 20 minutes.

Yeah I did that the first time around. Turns out it's one of the slowest ways to kill her.
    Muscle mass + cannonball is the fastest and then you get to shoryuken + aircombo her fat ass. :P
    Seriously when I figured that out I went back to the checkpoint a few times because sonic the hedghogging and kenning her to death was so much fun. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctM_M2IUSKQ

3:00 minute mark.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yeah I did that the first time around. Turns out it's one of the slowest ways to kill her.
    Muscle mass + cannonball is the fastest and then you get to shoryuken + aircombo her fat ass. :P
    Seriously when I figured that out I went back to the checkpoint a few times because sonic the hedghogging and kenning her to death was so much fun. :P
    I'll remember that next time. her ass is dead.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game really needs to have better tutorials and hint texts to reveal the strategy for approaching each boss. All they really say is "Work it out yourself" and "btw if you are having difficulty buy all the upgrades" both of which aren't really good enough in terms of user friendliness..
    I loved that though.

I just thought for once an open world game that doesn't dick around. It just goes yeah it's hard as fuck so figure it out.

It was an unexpected challenge that was quite enjoyable. Especially when you could take as long as you wanted.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm prolly just overly sensitive, but sometimes this game makes me feel like a horrible monster. And since you're playing one, its very effective. Cases I've had that made me feel bad:

- Patsy usage. Seriously, it's very well designed. The Patsy immediately puts themselves in a non-hostile pose, and there's this second pause where soldier guys just stare at the guy before killing him. That half-second always feels like a "Should I shoot? should I shoot?" moment, and as if whoever finally does it didn't intend to. And the "oh shit he wasn't a bad guy" lines... they kill me.

- I was destroying a military base, and one of the lines coming from within. A youngish male voice saying that the command staff was dead, and that he was bleeding pretty bad. Voice cut out as the base exploded.

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MisterBibs wrote: »
    - Patsy usage. Seriously, it's very well designed. The Patsy immediately puts themselves in a non-hostile pose, and there's this second pause where soldier guys just stare at the guy before killing him. That half-second always feels like a "Should I shoot? should I shoot?" moment, and as if whoever finally does it didn't intend to. And the "oh shit he wasn't a bad guy" lines... they kill me.

That would have made me feel bad if one of the first lines I heard from a Patsy use wasn't so comically hilarious. One of the guys who shot went over to the corpse and said 'Oh boy, I'm going to the stockades for this one'. I was like something out of Looney Tunes.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game really needs to have better tutorials and hint texts to reveal the strategy for approaching each boss. All they really say is "Work it out yourself" and "btw if you are having difficulty buy all the upgrades" both of which aren't really good enough in terms of user friendliness..
    I loved that though.

I just thought for once an open world game that doesn't dick around. It just goes yeah it's hard as fuck so figure it out.

It was an unexpected challenge that was quite enjoyable. Especially when you could take as long as you wanted.

Yeah, I agree that it's nice to have a game with a bunch of options and it doesn't hold your hand to things the one specific thing the designers intended. You've got a giant thing that needs killing and a slew of options to do it. Maybe the devs were just lazy, but I get a definite vibe of a figure it out design towards fights.

You literally get every possible option to fight Greene except APCs and the thermobaric tank. Everything from M16s to assault choppers to plentiful food for devastators are all over the place. And if your health gets low, just run the hell away and heal up. It's not like you can only move around in her immediate area. Move away from her a block or two, eat some people for health, and return to the fight with enough energy for three devastators. If you really, really want to cheese things up, grab a chopper, take it around corner where Greene's attack can't hit you, hit her with homing missiles, and repeat until she keels over. It'll take a while, but it'd make the fight pretty easy.

That being said, the Greene fight can be really punishing if you don't keep moving all the time. Even strafing like crazy a couple rocks or green blasts will still hit you but the shield will protect you from the impacts and let you keep moving. It's also pretty unavoidable to take some damage when physically attacking her; the smashing arm will probably get you at least a few times, but a body or two will fix you up right away.

I just feel bad for people who might try to use armor during that fight; avoiding the projectiles was annoying enough, but just constantly getting pasted while trying to do anything would be infuriating. In any case, just make absolutely 100% sure you get away from her before her super attack activates. I died twice to her solely because of a single super attack hitting me twice. If you're too high in the air and use up your air dashes, you can't air recover from the first hit; by the time you can hit the ground, you're practically standing inside the attack and it kills you.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    "Not me you fucking idiots! Him! Shoot him!"

If you wanna use armor just make sure you dash into the ground constantly to keep up top speed and don't just jump but always jump dash. Keep moving like this and most attacks will be ignored.

Depends on the skill you want to use as well. Skills with long wind up it isn't the best for.

The main reason I think "figure it out" isn't the best is that most peoples reaction is going to be to decide that the strategy they happened to stumble upon is the only one that works. I see a lot of, for example, tanks are the only way to do real damage and that this invalidates mercer. Meanwhile cannonball utterly annihilates her and it's one of his core combat powers.
    I'm not sure how to get around this criticism other than pointing out the use of different attacks in a more coherent way.
    Having hints not be, you know, only available if you decide to collect them or want to hang around the starting screen would be a damn good start.

I personally love working things out but I don't see anything wrong with a better integrated help section when a game has so many strategies to deal with everything and so many little hidden intricacies in the fighting system. If you don't give people any hints at all and they are getting angry and frustrated all you are going to do is teach them to feel helpless when you really aren't.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I had no problems with the final boss. I died once because I hadn't figured out the range of his devastators. You can't ever die, though, as long as you're careful - if you reach low health, you'll go into free devastator mode, so just run away for 5 seconds to regen, and you're good. I only had to feed to get more devastators, so the time limit was the only real problem in that fight. It's not like Greene where he keeps spamming you with shit if you run away.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Regarding the Green Discussion:

I was coming on here to say the same thing, what was hte best way to fuck her up. For the first 20mins I just hucked cars at her. She set off Nukes randomly, hit me with rocks and green shit wheneever I got close, so I figured I had to stay away.

What a pain in the ass to pick up a car while 10 guys are chasing and jumping on you. Finally, I never thought of cannonball, cause sadly, I don't use it much cause hte button use is so odd. The way I did it was run up the wall, and blade down onto her.

Also, if I took the time to get some devestaors going, I would do them in hte air and land in time to do it.

What was with the 3 health bars below? What did the 3 represeent? IT seemed random which one would go down, and htey all had to go down to let me beat her ass.

My favorite part was at the end:

No fucking around, "GREENE!!!!" Smash and eat. I was hoping for more of a revelation from her flashback though. Not just the taking her baby thing which I already knew. Oh well.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm prolly just overly sensitive, but sometimes this game makes me feel like a horrible monster. And since you're playing one, its very effective. Cases I've had that made me feel bad:

- I was destroying a military base, and one of the lines coming from within. A youngish male voice saying that the command staff was dead, and that he was bleeding pretty bad. Voice cut out as the base exploded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMJqPa2iqxg

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I felt significantly less sympathic to the Blackwatch guys (not the national guard/marines) once I actually took the time to watch the cgi introduction all the way through.
    I guess hookers in distress are my kryptonite :lol:

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »

I felt significantly less sympathic to the Blackwatch guys (not the national guard/marines) once I actually took the time to watch the cgi introduction all the way through.

I just realised something. Even though it has been well established that the AI is genre-blind (or just completely blind), that event would leave you to believe that Blackwatch are switched on. Too bad the ending to that intro completely disproves that :lol:

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2009
    They shoot her because they think she's infected

Tube on
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »

I just realised something. Even though it has been well established that the AI is genre-blind (or just completely blind), that event would leave you to believe that Blackwatch are switched on. Too bad the ending to that intro completely disproves that :lol:

Mm, hookers seem to be contemporary media's version of princesses-in-towers :p.

There's also an WoI where a marines complains about Blackwatch pacifying an entire apartment block (i.e. killing everyone, infected or not) and how they're obviously enjoying gunning down one of the women.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fairly certain it mentioned her being on fire at the time. Also, they're really only using the marines like cannon fodder/ scapegoats. And then, after copious amounts of suckage of their part, they
    planned to nuke the city. After Greene was dead. Why nuke the city after the infected leader was dead? All thats left is a shit-ton of mindless drones.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I had no problems with the final boss. I died once because I hadn't figured out the range of his devastators. You can't ever die, though, as long as you're careful...

Ah, that was the gameplay memory I was going to spoiler earlier.
    I was avoiding his tentacle devastator just fine, counting one-two-three and jumping in with a blade drop. But the first time he did it during the countdown phase, I counted one-two-three and jumped...and got hit by the late "four". I was all D: and then I :lol:. I wasn't angry, I just said "of course he's upgraded his attacks" and tried again. Four-warned is forearmed.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    For Green I just dashed straight towards her and charged up a spike devastator. That's it. Occasionally she'd knock me out of it, but not often. Spike devastator at point blank range will often kill off at least half of all three of the tentacle/hit zones. Afterwards just run out, snag some zombies or kill some hunters, run in, repeat.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah I just turned on armor and used the patented air slice blade move on her. A charged one halfway kills off like 2 sections. When you get hurt you airdash away into an alley and do partially charged air slices on hunters and consume them to get back up to full life and do it again. Then when she's down, more air slices. And when you can, grab a tank and spam shells at her until the tank blows up.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fairly certain it mentioned her being on fire at the time. Also, they're really only using the marines like cannon fodder/ scapegoats. And then, after copious amounts of suckage of their part, they
    planned to nuke the city. After Greene was dead. Why nuke the city after the infected leader was dead? All thats left is a shit-ton of mindless drones.

They are idiots.

To say the least.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

They are idiots.

To say the least.
    Well they weren't mindless drones because the alpha hunter was still in charge. Once you killed him then the marines mopped up and were celebrated as heroes.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Exactly. If they're not taking chances with the woman that may or may not be infected, why doesn't a guy surviving a rocket then asking for directions to the commanding officer raise any eyebrows?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Exactly. If they're not taking chances with the woman that may or may not be infected, why doesn't a guy surviving a rocket then asking for directions to the commanding officer raise any eyebrows?

Are you questioning orders? That sounds like suspicious behavior. Where's your commanding office?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just down the road.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I finally got through that set of missions I was having a little trouble with.
    When Alex throws those zombies off in armour, whips out the blade and looks at the camera, he spoke exactly what I was thinking. 'I'm back'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, I beat the game, and only have four events left that need a gold-plating.

IIRC they're all kill events ... a Hammerfist, a Thermobaric, a Whipfist, and a Helicopter.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Yeah I just turned on armor and used the patented air slice blade move on her. A charged one halfway kills off like 2 sections. When you get hurt you airdash away into an alley and do partially charged air slices on hunters and consume them to get back up to full life and do it again. Then when she's down, more air slices. And when you can, grab a tank and spam shells at her until the tank blows up.

I know this worked but I suggest nobody else do this.
    It's one of the slowest ways.

We should put "use cannonball on green" in the op.
    It'll make absolutely no sense up until they get to Green when they'll remember and go "Ohhhhhhh!" *lightbulb*
    Oh and also "When you see a yellow bar rising up her bottom half run like fuck" since that's the marker for the aoe.

How do you guys with controllers use cannonball? I shift my hand around and press it with the middle and index fingers then go back. Since you need to charge it mid air this doesn't really entail any super extra work, since you have some hang time to work with so don't need to rush it. The only tricky thing is if you want to use it in the middle of a combo.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It'll make absolutely no sense up until they get to Green when they'll remember and go "Ohhhhhhh!" *lightbulb*

Well, it could also possibly spoil part of the story near the start, since early cutscenes have Alex's sister talking about Elizabeth Green being another person experimented on. Instead of thinking 'maybe there's some interesting story there' people would just know. 'Oh, I fight here later'. Maybe that's good though. No reason for people to get their hopes up about the story.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I'm not going to add that because I would like people to try their own strategies.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

Well, it could also possibly spoil part of the story near the start, since early cutscenes have Alex's sister talking about Elizabeth Green being another person experimented on. Instead of thinking 'maybe there's some interesting story there' people would just know. 'Oh, I fight here later'. Maybe that's good though. No reason for people to get their hopes up about the story.
    Yeah except the very next mission after that "spoils" all that.

And really who didn't figure that one out the second it pops up?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm all for that if a lot of those strategies didn't involve FUCK THIS FUCKING GAME ARGGGGHHHH I HATE IT SO MUCH

I'm just thinking of saving some pain. there's a lot of attacks in this game.

That one strategy turns green into a less than five minute fight.

you could always spoil it and give an ambiguous clue.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm all for that if a lot of those strategies didn't involve FUCK THIS FUCKING GAME ARGGGGHHHH I HATE IT SO MUCH

I'm just thinking of saving some pain. there's a lot of attacks in this game.

You're going to need more than a Green tip in the thread title for that. People get pissed off with this game at many points.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I used tanks for tentacles + bladedrop when they were down and had no problem with it and wasn't FUCK THIS FUCKING GAME

You liked the strategy, that's fine. But there are a lot of valid strategies and there are a lot of strategies that work equally well and part of the fun of the game is discovering them.

Khavall on