Options

[ PROTOTYPE ] - Rainbows and Unicorns on pg. 69.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys I'm on your side right.
    The side of working it out on your own.

That side? That's my side.

But there's a lot of other people who maybe would like some help. Even if there was just a warning that bosses are tough and you might want to mix up your strategies. Some help at all for those people.
    Most of the pain in this game is fixed by knowing what not to do. The game doesn't help you at all there.

So taking me literally is a really bad idea, because I'm not defending my exact wording at all. I'm looking for a compromise to help others who just wanna play through the game with the minimum of fuss because that's a perfectly valid playstyle and should be accomodated. Hence why I suggest cannonball, since for that type of person, the one who wants the fastest, easiest less stress, 1:25 per section is that cup of tea. There's others that do a lot more damage, but take longer to set up.

There's lots of other strategies too, I ran through that fight on constant repeat for an entire afternoon trying all of them. Nobody needs to tell me about that fight. It's burnt into my head.

I'm just trying to toss up between "omg spoiler warning" and spoiling some "making it up on your own", both of which are valid criticisms, with wanting to help.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Woohoo all gold. 16 auto-platinumed.

Do I get anything besides a bigger e-peen for Platinuming every event? Hidden goodies? I've already bought every upgrade.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    We should put "use cannonball on green" in the op.
    It'll make absolutely no sense up until they get to Green when they'll remember and go "Ohhhhhhh!" *lightbulb*

Well, it could also possibly spoil part of the story near the start, since early cutscenes have Alex's sister talking about Elizabeth Green being another person experimented on. Instead of thinking 'maybe there's some interesting story there' people would just know. 'Oh, I fight here later'. Maybe that's good though. No reason for people to get their hopes up about the story.
    Yeah except the very next mission after that "spoils" all that.

And really who didn't figure that one out the second it pops up?

And I think that's also after you get the "Hey, the people guarding Green disappeared in a haze of blood" cutscene, which also makes it fairly obvious shit is going down. :P

But it is a (minor) spoiler. Even if the story is something that bugs me the most about the game. The WOI cutscenes are awesome, Alex's in-mission commentary is decent, but the mission cut-scenes by and large suck balls.

Especially the first boss ones.
    I spent all that time fighting him and he gets to win ANYWAY? D: The entire time I was sitting there going JUST EAT HIM ALREADY!"

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'll say it again, Alex's VA is great.

He has an impossible character to work with that's not well written at all.

But anyone who has completed the game and didn't feel stupid awesome at:

"I'm back"
    or
    "DIG IN! LIKE IT'LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE"

has no feelings.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok.

Someone tell me how to kill this last boss. I tried helicopters. They didn't work. And I was really really high up.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ok.

Someone tell me how to kill this last boss. I tried helicopters. They didn't work. And I was really really high up.

Chuck shit at him.

yalborap on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    yalborap wrote: »
    Ok.

Chuck shit at him.

There's bombs and missiles all over the place. Turn off your defense powers while running over to them (or you blow up the rest) then jump and chuck them at him. It does great damage.

When he's stunned, turn on muscle mass (only if you have all the upgrades) then beat him up. If you don't have all the upgrades for muscle mass don't do this it's not worth it. Just chuck things at him.

Try to be at full critical mass when the next section happens then hit him with air critical pains and bombs/missiles. If you have all the muscle mass upgrades a thrown bomb does ridiculous damage to him.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ok.

Chuck shit at him.

There's bombs and missiles all over the place. Turn off your defense powers while running over to them (or you blow up the rest) then jump and chuck them at him. It does great damage.

When he's stunned, turn on muscle mass (only if you have all the upgrades) then beat him up. If you don't have all the upgrades for muscle mass don't do this it's not worth it. Just chuck things at him.

Try to be at full critical mass when the next section happens then hit him with air critical pains and bombs/missiles.
    Ok. I tried chucking shit but I forget to turn on armor. And I have all the upgrades in the game. That fucker is dead next time I see him.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Armor or shield should be automatic upon entering combat. Armor most of the time, shield if you want to bulletdive.

Partially just for the "I'M GOING BADASS" awesome.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ok.

Chuck shit at him.

Try to be at full critical mass when the next section happens then hit him with air critical pains and bombs/missiles.
    Ok. I tried chucking shit but I forget to turn on armor. And I have all the upgrades in the game. That fucker is dead next time I see him.

Remember to jump all the time. Imagine in your mind, anytime you pick stuff up, that he's leaping at you. So jump again after picking it up before you do your next action (throw thing/eat mans) because I guarantee the picture in your mind and what he's actually doing are accurate predictions 99% of the time.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ok.

Chuck shit at him.

Remember to jump all the time. Imagine in your mind, anytime you pick stuff up, that he's leaping at you. So jump again after picking it up before you do your next action (throw thing/eat mans) because I guarantee the picture in your mind and what he's actually doing are accurate predictions 99% of the time.
    I know that man. Hahahaha. He destroyed me like that multiple times.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thoughts on Pariah (and how he could work in The Inevitable Sequel, based on WoI comments and imagery):
    We know that he's a young boy whose touch kills. Even though he doesn't have the Blacklight virus, he has all of its practical benefits and powers. The foremost one of Pariahs, it seems, is that his touch kills in the same way the Blacklight Virus kills: it tries to change the victim's physiology into an Unknowable Something, and if the body can't take it, it dies. He tries to touch a bird, it explodes in tumors. He has a dog, it bleeds out eventually. No wonder his code-name is Pariah: imagine never being able to touch anything!

In one WoI node about Pariah, there's an image that gets stuck in my head: a boy playing with a ball while people look on. This image builds, for me, a kinda-sorta implication as to Pariah's life. He's studied by Blackwatch scientists, but isn't locked down in a cage like his mother was. Pariah knows he's not a normal person, but the scientists aren't treating him like a lab rat.

So what does this mean for a sequel?

P2 can start with a basic premise that makes sense and one that Alex and the player will buy: that Pariah has escaped from wherever Blackwatch kept him, found out that Alex killed his mom, and is now making a play for revenge. Put in somewhere that, yes, the Infection / Monsters are coming from Pariah, and you've got the basics.

But as the story progresses, Alex goes to Pariah's Holding Area to get information or something. When he gets there, he finds a base that is filled with dangerous-but-comically-designed Infected Monsters... and a forever-six-year-old Pariah, who explains that his Mommy has been helping him learn how to make his own friends. Friends that he can touch and hug and play with. A boy completely ignorant that Mommy has been using him to make the non-friendly Infected Monsters Alex has been fighting in P2.

But who is Mommy? None other than Dana Mercer, whom Greene infected with a special strain of Blacklight (let's call it the Queen Strain) during the events of Prototype 1. I say that she's Dana Mercer, not Greene, intentionally: it would be more interesting if she was clearly an angry-at-being-abandoned Dana with Greene's desires and anger instead of Greene V2.

From here, the plot could go any number of ways. Alex Vs Dana-Greene and Pariah, Alex and Pariah Vs Dana-Greene, Alex Vs Pariah Vs Dana-Greene. All could have their moments of interest. Hell, an idea-that-only-sounds-good-on-paper comes to me: have it be randomly determined which route the plot takes.

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MisterBibs wrote: »
    Thoughts on Pariah (and how he could work in The Inevitable Sequel, based on WoI comments and imagery):
    We know that he's a young boy whose touch kills. Even though he doesn't have the Blacklight virus, he has all of its practical benefits and powers. The foremost one of Pariahs, it seems, is that his touch kills in the same way the Blacklight Virus kills: it tries to change the victim's physiology into an Unknowable Something, and if the body can't take it, it dies. He tries to touch a bird, it explodes in tumors. He has a dog, it bleeds out eventually. No wonder his code-name is Pariah: imagine never being able to touch anything!

In one WoI node about Pariah, there's an image that gets stuck in my head: a boy playing with a ball while people look on. This image builds, for me, a kinda-sorta implication as to Pariah's life. He's studied by Blackwatch scientists, but isn't locked down in a cage like his mother was. Pariah knows he's not a normal person, but the scientists aren't treating him like a lab rat.

P2 can start with a basic premise that makes sense and one that Alex and the player will buy: that Pariah has escaped from wherever Blackwatch kept him, found out that Alex killed his mom, and is now making a play for revenge. Put in somewhere that, yes, the Infection / Monsters are coming from Pariah, and you've got the basics.

But as the story progresses, Alex goes to Pariah's Holding Area to get information or something. When he gets there, he finds a base that is filled with dangerous-but-comically-designed Infected Monsters... and a forever-six-year-old Pariah, who explains that his Mommy has been helping him learn how to make his own friends. Friends that he can touch and hug and play with. A boy completely ignorant that Mommy has been using him to make the non-friendly Infected Monsters Alex has been fighting in P2.

But who is Mommy? None other than Dana Mercer, whom Greene infected with a special strain of Blacklight (let's call it the Queen Strain) during the events of Prototype 1. I say that she's Dana Mercer, not Greene, intentionally: it would be more interesting if she was clearly an angry-at-being-abandoned Dana with Greene's desires and anger instead of Greene V2.

From here, the plot could go any number of ways. Alex Vs Dana-Greene and Pariah, Alex and Pariah Vs Dana-Greene, Alex Vs Pariah Vs Dana-Greene. All could have their moments of interest. Hell, an idea-that-only-sounds-good-on-paper comes to me: have it be randomly determined which route the plot takes.

Do you work for Capcom? Are you on the Resident Evil writing staff? Because goddamn, spot on.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Houn wrote: »

Do you work for Capcom? Are you on the Resident Evil writing staff? Because goddamn, spot on.

Yeah, this is great. :^:

Unfortunately I wont be able to make the Taggart vid I wanted to make. Not for two weeks anyway, which is when the owner of the camera I'm using returns. :/

I think I'll just work on getting a better way to make videos the camera is so shit.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Played this for awhile today.

Holy shit hunters. D:

Other then that, having fun just running everywhere and consuming people. Turning into a middle age lady, carrying a car and ploughing into people never gets old. :lol:

Lent it to my uncle though, so I won't be able to play for awhile, but it's pretty good so far.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    - Patsy usage. Seriously, it's very well designed. The Patsy immediately puts themselves in a non-hostile pose, and there's this second pause where soldier guys just stare at the guy before killing him. That half-second always feels like a "Should I shoot? should I shoot?" moment, and as if whoever finally does it didn't intend to. And the "oh shit he wasn't a bad guy" lines... they kill me.

That would have made me feel bad if one of the first lines I heard from a Patsy use wasn't so comically hilarious. One of the guys who shot went over to the corpse and said 'Oh boy, I'm going to the stockades for this one'. I was like something out of Looney Tunes.

"Better respawn, bitch!"

Green on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Do I get anything besides a bigger e-peen for Platinuming every event? Hidden goodies? I've already bought every upgrade.

:...:

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You'll get an achievement, so not really. I contemplated doing it, but several of them are no fun at all.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Finished the game.

I just discovered that upgraded muscle mass + armor rocks super soldiers so hard. The air kick that normally does nothing will mess them up, especially if you have the upgrade that lets you grind them into the pavement afterwards. Also the uppercut combo is devastating.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    You'll get an achievement, so not really. I contemplated doing it, but several of them are no fun at all.

Oh, well fuck that then.

It's been an awesome experience but I don't know that I'd go back for another playthrough. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So would I enjoy this more on the PS3 or the PC?

I regret buying GTA IV and Mercenaries 2 for the PS3 since both were released on the PC and would have been more enjoyable there.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yoshua wrote: »
    So would I enjoy this more on the PS3 or the PC?

I regret buying GTA IV and Mercenaries 2 for the PS3 since both were released on the PC and would have been more enjoyable there.

I had plenty of fun on PC, once I did the tweak to fix the sound volume.

Recognized my gamepad just fine and it was nice and responsive.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Certainly no problems on the PS3, other than low volume on the cut scenes. Runs like a champ. PC advantage of course are any future mods/skins.

Depends on your screen, I guess.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So really

Where are the goddamn cheat codes for this game

It wouldn't be annoying if they didn't include a place specifically to enter cheats

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

I only have Corners left to Plat and some of them really do suck balls.

Especially the ones involding tanks. Fuck those ones. (With the exception of the one with the Thermobaric tank where I got over 1000 kills on my first try)

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I love and hate this game. The gameplay itself is rockin', and free roam mode is a joy to play around in.

The missions, however, are a fucking chore. Defend mission after escort mission after lame fucking boss fight, oh and then how about more defend missions? There are even a few missions that, until you pass, actually make the rest of the game worse by completely removing the majority of your special abilities in free roam mode. I remember enjoying precisely one mission so far, and that was the one where you
    break into the armored hive and fight the supreme hunter with the help of the military.
    All of the others have ranged from forgettable to rip-my-eyes-out frustrating.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The missions where you
    lose your abilities
    pretty much ruined free roam for me. I did those missions so quickly. Good thing they weren't particularly long (with the exception of the one where you have to take out all those tanks).

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Greene may not be the worst boss fight in history.

But god damn is she up there. Nothing at all fun about that fight at all, just a pointless exercise in frustration.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't know if it's supposed to be designed this way, but I almost feel like I cheesed Greene the first time I fought her. I didn't really know what to expect going in, but she started kicking my ass so I ran a bit.

I then used a pattern where I just ran around a corner, safe from all projectiles, and ate various people/horrible monsters until I was brimming with people juice. Then it was just air devastators and rinse and repeat until she cried for mercy. The spike devastator especially seemed to do pretty horrific damage to her.

Acheron on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Did you guys ever play like, any Devil May Cry game?

I just don't really get how people are crying so much about the boss fights in Prototype. They are nowhere near as bad as people in this thread seem to indicate.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Did you guys ever play like, any Devil May Cry game?

I just don't really get how people are crying so much about the boss fights in Prototype. They are nowhere near as bad as people in this thread seem to indicate.

I'm not prepared to get into an e-peen match over who's enjoyed the more frustratingly difficult game; I'm just saying I know when I'm having fun and I know when I'm not, and seeing how fantastic free-roam is, it contrasts quite heavily with how fucking annoying some of the missions are.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So really

Where are the goddamn cheat codes for this game

It wouldn't be annoying if they didn't include a place specifically to enter cheats

There are no cheat codes.

They put the menu in for the body surf code.

----

Green isn't even annoying if you know how to fight her.

IT's not even a matter of difficult. She's easy without any skill at playing computer games at all if you use the right strategy.

So much of this game becomes just piss easy with the right strategy, and mind meltingly frustrating with the wrong one. I get just as frustrated as anyone else when I tried using the wrong strategy. Ultimately that's what the freedom of this game gives you. The freedom to be wrong, where wrong is meant to guide you to getting it right.

I don't feel even the slightest bit elitist or douchebaggy with telling people they're "doing it wrong" since that's what several of the games help texts essentialy say. "If your strategy isn't working, try something else"

Morninglord on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The bosses can certainly be lame, but I can't bring myself to fault even the most intensely difficult missions. As long as I have some room to move, I always feel like I have options to explore. Awesome options.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I love taking apart that end game base:
    With the filters where you are meant to take a fall.

I do it different every time.

Slow or hit n run or just fuck it and blitz the place.
    The mens don't respawn in that mission, so carefully stealthing around and removing all the dudes is great fun. Suck up a rocket mans and use his rocket to blow up other mans then fade back into the city.
    I did a real slow take it apart and they started bringing in reinforcements, got a helicopter of supers. Didn't have that the last time when I only removed the fog belchers and then basically blitzed the targets.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    So I beat the game earlier...
    After nearly throwing my controller through my monitor after failing the last fight with one attack hurling the air but time running out on me, I finally beat that stupid supreme hunter or whatever.

I think that Alex should have committed suicide. There was some weird shit going on with the plot. He said he had to kill the last person responsible, but wouldn't that be him? Even if Alex Mercer is dead to himself, Alex Mercer is alive to everyone else.

I've also always hated the idea that the military is contained to leadership of one single general. Even with this guy dead, the rest of the army would show up in manhattan and fuck shit up.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    After nearly throwing my controller through my monitor after failing the last fight with one attack hurling the air but time running out on me, I finally beat that stupid supreme hunter or whatever.

I think that Alex should have committed suicide. There was some weird shit going on with the plot. He said he had to kill the last person responsible, but wouldn't that be him? Even if Alex Mercer is dead to himself, Alex Mercer is alive to everyone else.

I've also always hated the idea that the military is contained to leadership of one single general. Even with this guy dead, the rest of the army would show up in manhattan and fuck shit up.
    He doesn't give a shit about anyone else. The only responsibility he cares about is what happened to him, his existence right now. He uses the words but they're ultimately self centered. Even his angst at the end is entirely self centered. He has to live with it. Oh poor Alex. :lol:

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

He doesn't give a shit about anyone else. The only responsibility he cares about is what happened to him, his existence right now. He uses the words but they're ultimately self centered. Even his angst at the end is entirely self centered. He has to live with it. Oh poor Alex. :lol:
    I just didnt get why the fuck cross was suddenly the supreme hunter. there was not any evidence that he as infected that i found. he was just another guy until that fight.
    Furthermore, i killed him at 0:01 time left. how the fuck did i load a bomb on a helicopter and fly it out of there anyhow?
    i ATE the guy who "knew the codes" dammit, the bomb should not have been an issue in the first place.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Mighty wrote: »

I just didnt get why the fuck cross was suddenly the supreme hunter. there was not any evidence that he as infected that i found. he was just another guy until that fight.
    Furthermore, i killed him at 0:01 time left. how the fuck did i load a bomb on a helicopter and fly it out of there anyhow?
    i ATE the guy who "knew the codes" dammit, the bomb should not have been an issue in the first place.
    The Supreme Hunter ate him shortly after the General left him on the island. Remember the cutscene where you see Cross through infect vision and he does the BRING IT ONNNNNN! stance with his shock-stick? That was the Supreme Hunter closing in on him.

As for the codes thing, yeah it's a load of bullhonkey. The plot in this game is the really special kind of horrible that goes beyond mere incompetence.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    HAHAHA spikes go under buildings and ignore all cover or obstacles.
    New York is full of alleys and corners.

Ergo I have been wandering around as the Deadly Spike Ninja.

SHAZAM (WTF WHAT HIT US? WHERE IS IT?)

SHAZAM BOOM

*sounds of armored footsteps fading away down an alley along with insane giggles*

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    I'll say it again, Alex's VA is great.

He has an impossible character to work with that's not well written at all.

But anyone who has completed the game and didn't feel stupid awesome at:

"I'm back"
    or
    "DIG IN! LIKE IT'LL MAKE A DIFFERENCE"

has no feelings.

Oh, the acting is fine in all the parts- I'm surprised, really.

The script is just pure shit. Bounces all over the place, doesn't make much sense when it DOES progress, etc.

Phoenix-D on