As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Interest?] M&M2e Gritty Magical Girl Anime Game

13»

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sailor Moon's power activated by a brooch of some kind?

I like the jewelry idea, if only because it means we don't have to be limited by carrying and channeling powers through wands, swords, etc. The jewelry itself probably shouldn't actually be channeling the powers, however, causing us to "deactivate" if it is removed. Plus, the jewelry would add a dramatic touch, as each would be different in the manner it identified the character's virtue.

Cardcaptor Sakura had a kind of baton that she uses to capture and activate the Clow Cards, but she still possessed magic within her that gave her the ability to even use the baton and cards.

So what I am trying to say is that although we have physical representations of the magical abilties, they don't necessarily provide any magical abilties that the girls already possess within them - they might act as focuses, or mediums for the magic, but they don't really contain any within them that others could use.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sailor Moon had that weird brooch, but the Sailor Scouts all had wands after their transformations (I seem to recall Sailor Moon just hurled her jewelry at bad guys early on though.)

I think Simon's got a good point, though, that jewelry/magic items shouldn't be the power sources themselves, and shouldn't be usable by other characters (Love's charm only works for the Righteous Savior Love, etc).

In the sense of things like wands, though, those wouldn't necessarily be things you carried with you all the time, but weapons/tools that came with the transformation (and went away when it ended), if you were interested in that sort of thing.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Stop being silent, people, jeez.

It's July 4th weekend. On Monday, we'll see how everyone's up to, and start making sheets I think since nobody is weighing here.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As a British citizen, I celebrate this day as the day we decided to revoke your right to be a colony.

I'm being quiet because I don't want to take over the thread! I have a bunch of ideas for things, but my habit is to wait for other people to talk before I say anything. It is not so good, sometimes. In any case, I'm still trying to figure out some good power choices.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm just percolating ideas right now.

And trying to reconcile my own experiences with the system with the style we're going to be playing. No Salt, I won't be going for Super Strength as a power :P

And yeah, as a Canadian we just had our big bash on Wednesday. I'll be mulling it over and posting my thoughts more this weekend.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Okay, so we're well past the 4th of July. Lets get things rolling again, shall we?

So here is a brain dump of ideas around our team stuff. Feel free to mock individual ideas if you must, but I'd much rather focus on the ones that aren't horrible :P

1. Animal-based theme. Each character represents a virtue, which is in itself represented by an animal. So Lion = Courage, Beauty = Peacock (or whatever), Wisdom = Elephant etc etc. We wouldn't turn into the animals, but our moves could be themed off of our animal, and it would work into our costumes. I noticed looking through this idea that some virtues transfer really well this way (Lion -> Courage), while others are more difficult (? -> Faith).

2. Jewellery based powers/themes. Each of the characters were destined to find a piece of jewellery, which is activated by their virtue. I agree this shouldn't be "stealable" power- characters have some method of not being separated from their jewellery, or it appears when they are transforming etc. It'd be possible to have the same jewellery with different stones (so rings a la Captain Planet etc), or one have a tiara, one a necklace etc.

3. Diety based theme. If we want to have the characters' powers be given from one or more divine beings, we can have the characters powers and appearances based on the dieties in question.

4. Off the top of my head- Plant based theme. Various flowers and other flora would correspond to virtues, and you could pretty easily incorporate them into powers similar to animals above. "Rose petal shower!" "Bananna boomerang attack!" (Okay, maybe not the bananna heh).

El Skid on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Deity sounds rad. People coming from different belief structures and using the powers of different gods.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I think it would be extremely forced to explain why five teenage girls from the same city all come from extremely rare and diverse religious structures, though, considering that less than 4% of the population of the US follow a non-Christian religion.

On the one hand, maybe forced/coincidental isn't a bad thing, but it could be. (It would also force powers to go beyond thematic and become a defining feature of the character personality, which I'm not sure I love.)

You can tell I'm wary of letting religion play too prominent a role in this here game, I guess.

I liked the other suggestions El Skid put up though, and I swooned over flowers but that's a strong personal bias. :P

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That could be the reason they have the potential. Or something.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    mazikeenmazikeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really like the Animals thing, and the Plant/Flower one to a lesser degree.

As for the deities thing, I don't really like have the powers directly tied to them/any one god. But I wouldn't mind if they were a removed figure. Like, using Beauty as an example, say we go with jewelry, or animals, or plants. Then the primary or more obvious "source" or symbol of power would be a necklace, a peacock, a narcissus flower, whathaveyou. But the chicks could also get visions/visits from gods that had close ties to their virtues, from different, or all the same, pantheon. I think if you remove the gods to an indirect point of influence it'll seem less jumbled if they come from different pantheons, and it doesn't assume that the girls are inherently following any pagan-based religion to start with.

mazikeen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You guys just won't discuss without me kicking you in the face.

I'm agreeing with Mazikeen, here.

You've got some cool ideas with jewelry, and animal totem type dealies, and representative flowers. We can work divinities into the flavor of things less directly.

So if you've got preferences among those, talk 'em out, or I'll put my foot down in the next day or two, make a call, and then we can get on to chargen because I want to start playing. :|

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not feeling the flowers idea, really. Dunno why, it's just not doing it for me.

Jewelery, maybe. (Animals I can also see, though that definitely makes things more compllicated on my end. :P

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    NamiNami Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    *Appears*

As Hylianbunny's girlfriend I must say I am horrified he is joining this game - and he may have to prove his manhood to me later.

*Vanishes just as mysteriously*

Nami on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    INNS, I just saw this and wish I had joined so I could just make suicidal characters who die horrific deaths every three sessions.

piL on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    piL

piL damn you

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    piL

piL damn you

Hi, my name is Miyomi. I'm an Aquarius, and I love walking alone in dark corridors, rushing ahead of the party, and challenging GM NPCs to one-on-one battles to the death.

piL on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I feel like we're getting slightly off track.

I probably like animals best (though admittedly I have an easy time with them and my chosen virtue).

I'm easy though- we can do whatever has been discussed so far
    including Valkyries :winky:

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Blegh, sorry for not being here to discuss - combination of it being end of semester at uni, and having a bad flu-like thing have kind of stopped my ability to get online.

If we had to go down any of the routes that INNS is gunning for (despite what I believe to be a misconception of how the deity plan would've worked out), I think animals is probably the easiest, and the most versatile, to work with.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm saddened that this has fallen by the wayside.

It looks like we have at least a majority for Animal-type stuff. Let's just go with that and move on, shall we?

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I have been having woeful woes with a pinched nerve

But I am around and was intending to slap everyone in the next few days

Good work El Skid

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Alright

Jewelry, Animals, or Both (animal jewelry!)?

And, is everyone still around and interested? If so, we'll answer that, and then get started on sheets and start playing. Let us start playing!

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm around and interested. And hoping other people are too :P

El Skid on