Options

Ghostbusters - Out NOW! - Bustin' makes us feel good.

• Options
    MahoneMahone Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, reading this thread had me very excited to have an opportunity to play this game. Imagine my surprise when I read that there was a demo available for Xbox Live! I downloaded and played it today, and was rather underwhelmed. The humor was good, if subtle, but the actual gameplay didn't really wow me as I thought it should. Is the demo just a poor representation of the overall gameplay?

I love the series, and want to love this game, but I'd like to get some feedback before I spend the money....

For reference, the demo has you playing the first part of the Library level.

Mahone on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    Mahone wrote: »

How far into the Library does it take you? As I recall, the first bit of the Library has some neat set pieces, but isn't extremely indicative of the greater level of gameplay the game takes on.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Most of the library was just blasting those book guys, wasn't it? It has some good atmosphere with the room rearranging itself when you're not looking, but there's not much actual ghost busting in it - most of the enemies were just those flying book swarms and the little book guys. Nothing you had to catch, just stuff you blasted apart.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

How far into the Library does it take you? As I recall, the first bit of the Library has some neat set pieces, but isn't extremely indicative of the greater level of gameplay the game takes on.

Basically you start the library, and it takes you to where you capture the twin blue ghosts with Ray. It ends when you're going to meet up with Egon. The room rearranging was neat, but I kept getting hit by the sliding bookshelves, which was kind of annoying. It was maybe ten minutes of playtime in total.

Also, some of the stuff seemed a bit unintuitive, perhaps it was just my unfamiliarity, but for instance, when the first big book monster you fight appeared, Ray kept yelling for me to rip out the glowing piece, but with no indication of how to actually do it. I just kept trying to pull it out with the right stick, I had no idea how to "slam" something, until I looked at the bottom right of the screen and tried all the moves the proton pack could do.

Mahone on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The library followed the bulk of the tutorial stuff. The first time you run into something along the lines of that book monster (it was made of kitchen appliances if I remember right) you're told how to rip out the glowing piece, and Ray just keeps repeating the instructions until you get it right ("Don't forget to reload, Dr. Freeman" style). After that first fight, every time you run into one, you're expected to remember how they work. You're given instructions on slamming, wrangling, and such in a little mini mission right at the start and the first mission in the hotel.

Library sounds like a pretty poor pick for a tutorial level - especially since it sounds like they didn't at least shoehorn in the little tutorial popups that tell you what controls do as they're first called for.

Hevach on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Basically you start the library, and it takes you to where you capture the twin blue ghosts with Ray. It ends when you're going to meet up with Egon. The room rearranging was neat, but I kept getting hit by the sliding bookshelves, which was kind of annoying. It was maybe ten minutes of playtime in total.

Also, some of the stuff seemed a bit unintuitive, perhaps it was just my unfamiliarity, but for instance, when the first big book monster you fight appeared, Ray kept yelling for me to rip out the glowing piece, but with no indication of how to actually do it. I just kept trying to pull it out with the right stick, I had no idea how to "slam" something, until I looked at the bottom right of the screen and tried all the moves the proton pack could do.

The later section of the library can lead to a bit of confusion (getting lost), and also features what for me was the hardest boss battle in the game.

The first hotel visit might have been a better demo, more indicative of the rest of the game.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    WillybubbaWillybubba Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, Sedgewick for the first time would be a much better demo, if only for the throwback to the films that level has. The Library has some cool parts but not very many movie references, the way to lure in the fans (if they haven't bought this already that is) is by letting 'em catch Slimer.

Willybubba on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'll see if I can find a way to rent it, I'm even willing to pay the $8 or so that Blockbuster will charge, because there is no way in hell GameFly is ever going to have this in stock, just like the rest of the games I want to play that aren't a year old. Of course, if any Blockbuster around me would order more than two copies of a game that isn't Madden, it wouldn't be so difficult....

Mahone on
  • Options
    soul creatorsoul creator Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    originally the demo was going to be just the ballroom with Slimer, but the idea behind using the first part of the Library is that it has a little bit of everything: some story stuff that ties into the first movie (librarian), some PKE usage, the golem, a weapon upgrade, rooms with a lot of destructible stuff, some scares, and ghost trapping at the end

Obviously, for those that have played the full game, the Library level gets a bit more, uh, twisted the further you get into it (which isn't in the demo).

soul creator on
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just got the PC version and am having serious audio problems. crackling and voices are absent. Any known fixes? I can't find any.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the guy is basically not very good at anything that requires fast reflexes. The majority (let's say three-fourths) of his complaints on things outside of writing or actual technical glitches seem to be about that. Basically, if the game poses any sort of challenge, which is the point of a game, he will profess to hating it deeply. Now, this could mean he just doesn't like challenges and has zero patience, or it could mean he's playing it up and has the reflexes to catch a bullet in mid-air, or it could mean he genuinely sucks at moving his fingers fast. I'm guessing the first.

He liked infamous. infamous could hardly be called easy.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the guy is basically not very good at anything that requires fast reflexes. The majority (let's say three-fourths) of his complaints on things outside of writing or actual technical glitches seem to be about that. Basically, if the game poses any sort of challenge, which is the point of a game, he will profess to hating it deeply. Now, this could mean he just doesn't like challenges and has zero patience, or it could mean he's playing it up and has the reflexes to catch a bullet in mid-air, or it could mean he genuinely sucks at moving his fingers fast. I'm guessing the first.

Since I am oblivious...

1) Infamous was hard?

2) He liked Infamous? I thought he merely didn't hate it compared to Prototype, and only in that context.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

Since I am oblivious...

1) Infamous was hard?

2) He liked Infamous? I thought he merely didn't hate it compared to Prototype, and only in that context.

1. I wouldn't call it hard, but it definitely had some challenge to it. The game threw lots of shit at you, and really made you work to stay alive at times.

2. I haven't seen his review, I only read reactions. I was under the impression he did infamous first, and liked it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    He definitely didn't like Infamous. Had all the things to say bad about it that he did about Bioshock, and none of the stuff good he grudgingly squeezed out about Bioshock.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hevach wrote: »
    He definitely didn't like Infamous. Had all the things to say bad about it that he did about Bioshock, and none of the stuff good he grudgingly squeezed out about Bioshock.

I was going by this post since my work firewall blocks it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pretty sure he hated it, as he hated Prototype. Though he was willing to acknowledge, begrudgingly, that one was better than the other.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    i thought the point of the second of those two reviews was that when it comes to which one is better, its essentially a push

Joolander on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Joolander wrote: »
    i thought the point of the second of those two reviews was that when it comes to which one is better, its essentially a push

Yeah, he definantly doesn't say at any point "This game sucks compared to this game" At best he says "This game does aspect X better than that game, but that game does aspect Y better than this game."

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just got the PC version and am having serious audio problems. crackling and voices are absent. Any known fixes? I can't find any.

What kind of processor do you have? It could be because you're trying to use on-board sound and are under the required processor speed.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The fact that I have no gallery to look at my unlocked costumes, coupled with the fact I can't select my costumes has now gone from a minor annoyance to something that NEEDS to be patched in.

"Hey, I'm wearing the same suit that toy of Winston I used to have wore! Thats so awesome! Hey - come here and look at this! You had that Winston toy, right? Well look - I'm...oh, I leveled up. Nevermind. Gone forever."

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »

What kind of processor do you have? It could be because you're trying to use on-board sound and are under the required processor speed.
    2.4ghz dual core

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »

2.4ghz dual core

Hm. Then I'm stumped.

If you're running it on XP you could try turning the sound acceleration down, but I got nothing beyond that.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    So finally playing this and the gameplay could use some work but the story/atmosphere is very Ghostbusters, the characters act like I'd expect them to and the whole concept of the big bad here is really impressive and enjoyable.

But it does suffer from some really random cuts to different scenes, if they're going to play it off like a movie they could at least put some effort into some simple transitions.

And the loading is terrible. Oops, you died, time to wait 20 seconds to reload what is essentially a very basic area.

Also early on in the hotel, I was really struggling to see the ghosts against all the beams flying about so it was difficult to attack them and since the Ghostbusters apart from you seem to be very limited in damage/capturing unless you're involved it means it can take a while.

There are some genuinely scary moments, nothing particularly creepy but some pop-out things.

Id love a next game now the foundations are down, possibly without all the fucking about in production and distribution this one did but I worry about what possible story they could go to from here. But they'd definitely need to work on load times and possibly some extra random stuff to do, at least in the firehouse.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, reading this thread had me very excited to have an opportunity to play this game.

All the coverage of Ghostbusters also had me very excited to play. So I requested it on Goozex. It came last Friday. It was back in the mail on Monday.

Thank god for Goozex.

adytum on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just wish if you start the game over, all your upgrades could stay. A New Game + if you will.

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So finished, very short and glad I didn't fork out the full 45 on this but loved the story and its a good addition to the franchise. Wasn't to keen on
    Ivos final form, that was kinda generic adn wasnt that hard of a boss fight either.

But other than that Im happy. Dont think theres enough there to make me play through again.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Hawk wrote: »
    I just wish if you start the game over, all your upgrades could stay. A New Game + if you will.

I'm one of those nostalgic fools who loves the look and elegance of the unmodified proton pack. Plus, you don't really need the other weapons modes until you get them.

I do wish I could restart the game with everything identified/cataloged though.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Did anyone ever find a real use for the stasis beam? or the alternate fire more there?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you use it on most of the killable ghosts they'll freeze and if they are shot again they shatter. It also makes ghosts not resist the trap

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Actual stasis trapping--as the game identifies it--is a bit of a pain though. It really is a support weapon for team tactics.

The primary fire, 'shotgun mode', is quite useful against the non-catching ghosts.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This was a very fun game.

The final boss was a bit meh, and there needs to be more ghost-detecting and less shooting little crappy monsters that are surprisingly deadly. But it was pretty neat.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Frankly, I was glad the final boss wasn't flat-out fucking impossible, not unlike the Public Library boss on professional.

I mean, a challenge is good--and on professional, it is still a challenge, at least for me--but not something that makes me want to throw my controller against the wall.
    If anyone is having trouble in the cemetery in front of the 'invincible' gate, with those suicidal cherubs, here's a solution: using the trapper beam, return to the tunnel from which you enter the area, to the left of the actual gate, and try grabbing the cherubs while they're shooting Ray and throwing them at the gate's general area. Ray will keep trying to do it with the slime tether, but if he gets knocked out, don't worry, you're practically invincible where you are.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Frankly, I was glad the final boss wasn't flat-out fucking impossible, not unlike the Public Library boss on professional.

I mean, a challenge is good--and on professional, it is still a challenge, at least for me--but not something that makes me want to throw my controller against the wall.
    If anyone is having trouble in the cemetery in front of the 'invincible' gate, with those suicidal cherubs, here's a solution: using the trapper beam, return to the tunnel from which you enter the area, to the left of the actual gate, and try grabbing the cherubs while they're shooting Ray and throwing them at the gate's general area. Ray will keep trying to do it with the slime tether, but if he gets knocked out, don't worry, you're practically invincible where you are.

That was annoying. There I am standing at gate, BLAM from behind, THEN peter says something too late, BLAM when I get up and...Dun dun dun dun da da, dun dun dun dun da da.

Restore checkpoint.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

That was annoying. There I am standing at gate, BLAM from behind, THEN peter says something too late, BLAM when I get up and...Dun dun dun dun da da, dun dun dun dun da da.

Restore checkpoint.

Yeah, it was impossible on professional. And I am not that good at slime tethering (I bought this game to zap ghosts, not stick them with silly putty ribbon). First time I tried this, I got killed out of carelessness (bunch of minions flooded the tunnel), but second time, BAM, gate opened. It does take a while, but then again, that's true of any method.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Restore checkpoint.

Yeah, it was impossible on professional. And I am not that good at slime tethering (I bought this game to zap ghosts, not stick them with silly putty ribbon). First time I tried this, I got killed out of carelessness (bunch of minions flooded the tunnel), but second time, BAM, gate opened. It does take a while, but then again, that's true of any method.

I think the Library and that gate are the hardest things in the game on Professional, so many tries on both of them

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I never slime tethered a ghost in the entire game.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Klyka wrote: »

Well, you obviously don't have the achievement then.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I couldnt' in the single player, any time I tried it made its little whimpering sound.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Klyka wrote: »

Well, you obviously don't have the achievement then.

That's true.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Did they ever explain
    What all the different coloured slimes were being produced for and why the ghosts at the end were only coated in black slime?

And was Ray actually saying that all of Vigos negative energy slime was produced at that facility and just coincidentally woke Vigo up or was he talking about the black slime appearing in the game?

DarkWarrior on