As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Suda51's Flower, Sun and Rain

2»

• Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    I saw a Let's Play of this.

I was able to interpret Killer7 without much trouble, but this game made my brain try to come out of my ears. Some of the dialogue is just twisted.

"You love football, don't you? Football is a terrible sport. STOP THINKING ABOUT FOOTBALL FOR A SECOND."

As for Gilder:
    I have no idea what the hell was up with the Sundance clan, but yeah, Bocchiwinkur was just a disguise for a character from The Silver Case, who is also (I think) the ex-partner for Sumio's father.

The game technically ends on a cliffhanger, so there's even more unanswered questions than there should be in a Suda game.

Rust on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Rust wrote: »

I was able to interpret Killer7 without much trouble, but this game made my brain try to come out of my ears. Some of the dialogue is just twisted.

"You love football, don't you? Football is a terrible sport. STOP THINKING ABOUT FOOTBALL FOR A SECOND."

As for Gilder:
    I have no idea what the hell was up with the Sundance clan, but yeah, Bocchiwinkur was just a disguise for a character from The Silver Case, who is also (I think) the ex-partner for Sumio's father.

The game technically ends on a cliffhanger, so there's even more unanswered questions than there should be in a Suda game.

Damn, so
    The Silver Case is a prequel to this, where you play as that other Sumio they mention? Fuck. Now I really want that game to come out. They've said they're planning an english release, and I really hope it's true. Suda should not be allowed to make games that come in episodes. He does more than leave you with cliffhangers. This is beyond "Lost" levels of unanswered questions.

Gilder on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Gilder wrote: »

As for Gilder:

Damn, so
    The Silver Case is a prequel to this, where you play as that other Sumio they mention? Fuck. Now I really want that game to come out. They've said they're planning an english release, and I really hope it's true. Suda should not be allowed to make games that come in episodes. He does more than leave you with cliffhangers. This is beyond "Lost" levels of unanswered questions.

Goddamnit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6M9IQeFRlE

So Sumoi Kodai and Peter/Tetsugoro Kusabi is what they're referencing at the end? Who's Toriko (Kusabi) and what is her relation with Silver Case's Tetsugoro Kusabi!? Will it even connect and answer all the questions!? And what does this mean for Silver Case's prequel, Moonlight Syndrome!?!?

Who knows.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    B:L wrote: »

As for Gilder:

Damn, so

Goddamnit.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6M9IQeFRlE

So Sumoi Kodai and Peter/Tetsunolow Kurami is what they're referencing at the end? Who's Toriko!? Will it even connect and answer all the questions!?

Who knows.

Not gonna lie, that looked 100x better than Flower, Sun, and Rain. I really enjoyed FSR too, so that's saying something. Sadly we might be out of luck on Silver Case. Suda has said that he thinks the gameplay of it is too old to work these days, so he'd rather remake the whole thing. Great. Just great.

In other news, I'm considering finding some way to keep the screen pressed down or the d-pad held so I can have Sumio walk 510000 steps for the last reward. Am I crazy?

Gilder on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not gonna lie, that looked 100x better than Flower, Sun, and Rain. I really enjoyed FSR too, so that's saying something. Sadly we might be out of luck on Silver Case. Suda has said that he thinks the gameplay of it is too old to work these days, so he'd rather remake the whole thing. Great. Just great.

In other news, I'm considering finding some way to keep the screen pressed down or the d-pad held so I can have Sumio walk 510000 steps for the last reward. Am I crazy?

SUDA doesn't like revisiting the past either...

http://killer7.3dactionplanet.gamespy.com/killthepast.htm
    (Warning: Huge goddamn spoilers for Flower Sun and Rain, its sequel The Silver Case Word 25, its prequel The Silver Case, its prequel Moonlight Syndrome, its prequel Twilight Syndrome, and the spinoffs Killer 7 and No More Heroes. And you still might not understand what's going on.)

As for holding down the d-pad. I left a unplugged laptop battery on the d-pad for one whole day. It only got me about 100000 steps. It's not worth the wear and tear of your system being on for so long.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ouch, I thought it might go a bit faster than that once you got the movement speed upgrade. Hmmm. Well I think I'll at least get the sound test, since I do enjoy the music. I doubt the wear and tear is that bad though when you think about how long you really play the system. If I did it, I would do it in bursts though. Like keep it going for 2 hours while I play something else and then let it rest. After a year I might finally have it!

Gilder on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    That link is like the video game version of the Timecube site.

Rust on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm surprised they didn't port FS&R to the PSP, seeing how it was a PS2 game. It probably would've looked much better, at least.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I actually really don't mind how it looks on the DS, and it's not a very pretty PS2 game either. I get a sort of "Out of this World" vibe from the character models on the DS. On the PS2, I just think they're lazy. What really suffered is the soundtrack. A DS with headphones isn't as good as a PS2 hooked up to a decent sound system.

Gilder on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The moment I read that you jack into someone's eyeball to make them trust you, I knew the story of this game was fucked.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    How does this guy get to keep making these fucked up games? And why do I keep buying them? I honestly don't have a clue what's going on, but I guess that means I'm doing it right. Seriously, it seems like I'm gonna have to start making notes in a pad. (I get that you can write stuff in Catherine but still).

Big Classy on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    How does this guy get to keep making these fucked up games?

Because his development studio does a lot of contract jobs with other developers, mostly audio work. They've also done at least a few licensed game (samurai champloo, blood+). But contract work is their bread and butter. They do that until they have enough money to fund their own games, and Suda designs/directs them. Then they shop for a publisher. Publishers sometimes go for it because the work is usually all done (or mostly done), and Suda and his small indie development team don't cost much to make their games. So when they do find a publisher, at least the publisher isn't gambling with a ton of money on such weird games... so sometimes they take the risk.

And why do I keep buying them?
    Because they're so damn unique. Gameplay may be hit or miss, but at least when you get a Suda game, you're getting something that you won't see anywhere else.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So uhhh I beat the game. I'm confused.
    I've heard that the ending has to do with "The Silver Case", which we have yet to get in english. Is that what the 50,000 at the end was about? What was the Sister's photograph he mentioned?

Also why is Step the key to carrying on everything? Is it because he was never really on the island or something? The one that you see was a bomb, correct? So the real one is out in the real world? Jesus, I seriously need a plot analysis for this game. I get lost when I try to go beyond the idea of breeding hyenas in the hopes of one having a silver eye to bestow the power of god.

I guess I also need to run up and down the beach because there's a bunch of unlockables I still need to get from the step counter. I also have to go back and get the rest of the lost and found items. I'm cheating on some of those though, some are just way too hard.
    Sister's photograph was from day two or three. The photograph you took of the empty chair in the room you get trapped in. The character says something about giving it to you but never does. I figured the 50,000 was the "5" cut that the guy asked for at the beginning of the game.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guys! You know that crazy Grasshopper game that never came out in the US and never will, Michigan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_(game)

http://polsy.org.uk/lp/vidviewer/?user=honeymustard&video=11&vurl=&useSimple=on&origRes=on

Check it out.

It looks utterly insane.

256px-Michigan.jpg

Score another one for the UK.

I want.

Ha, that's where ZaKa TV in No More Heroes came from.

Wow, such terrible voice acting.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Octopus MelodyOctopus Melody Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wish that game came out in the US.

Octopus Melody on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Picked this up for some holiday gameplay and am only five minutes in but already digging how bizzare and 'Suda 51' everything is.

Quick question. Are any puzzles missable? For example if I don't solve the missing items in the opening carpark scene will I get to come back to them or is now my only chance?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought they were (and in fact restarted the game and replayed through the first few requests), but then learned that you can go back and replay earlier requests. In fact, some of the puzzles aren't even solvable until you get later items.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.