Options

The Infinity Engine: All Good Things Begin And End With Breach

• Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Trynant wrote: »
    Bump for the goodness that is Planescape: Torment.

I finally got it in the mail, and have been hooked on it ever since. There are so, so many good things interjected in this game it's silly, and I haven't even got out of the Hive yet. The combat isn't bad, but the interesting dialogue options have to be Torment's strongest suit.

Scratch that. The greatest part is that the game runs on Vista straight from the box.

did you install all the mods? they make the game even better.

but yeah, the amount of good writing you'll find in just the first area is greater than most entire RPG games.

I'm planning on patching it and installing the widescreen UI mod (or Ghostdogs PST UI Mod, whatever it's called). Those screenshots look oh so pretty.

I might, however, just enjoy the first playthrough unmodded. As far as I can tell PST doesn't have Oblivion-syndrome where it needs mods to be good.

Trynant on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That widescreen mod with the extra interface mod are totally sweet though.

Such a wonderful game.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So.. I really need to finish Icewind Dale II but I'm a bit confused about some character creation stuff. For example, if I have a high DEX score will it increase how much my reflex save increases as I level up or is it just an initial bonus?

Is there any real advantage to using two weapons or a two handed weapon or is weapon+shield usually best?
    Is there any cleric types that are much better than the others?
    are there any differences between weapons other than damage, damage type and critical range/damage?

At the moment I'm thinking of going with a full party of 6 (Paladin/Barbarian/Cleric/Druid/Rogue/Sorcerer)

Zell on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zell wrote: »
    So.. I really need to finish Icewind Dale II but I'm a bit confused about some character creation stuff. For example, if I have a high DEX score will it increase how much my reflex save increases as I level up or is it just an initial bonus?

Is there any real advantage to using two weapons or a two handed weapon or is weapon+shield usually best?
    Is there any cleric types that are much better than the others?
    are there any differences between weapons other than damage, damage type and critical range/damage?

At the moment I'm thinking of going with a full party of 6 (Paladin/Barbarian/Cleric/Druid/Rogue/Sorcerer)

Your dexterity modifier (that + or - next to the score on the character's sheet) is only applied to your Reflex save once; that is, the game calculates some stuff about it based upon your levels and classes and then adds in your Dexterity modifier only once with the other miscellaneous modifiers on top. However, it's not constant - if your Dexterity increases after the start of play, your Reflex save will go up too.

If you're going with that party makeup, you want the barbarian to have a two-handed weapon. Icewind Dale should allow you to select the Power Attack feats for him, which basically scale at the speed of awesome when he's raging and has a two-handed weapon. Your other characters should be fine with weapon and shield, excepting the rogue and sorcerer who should just wield a single weapon.

I can't remember what it does for clerics well enough to tell. If it's letting you pick domains, Healing and Sun are generally good choices.

Some characters can only use certain types of weapons. Your sorcerer can use more than the usual mage staples, fyi. Magic weapons will have more abilities, otherwise, no. Try and have all characters carry one bludgeoning weapon at early levels.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Why two handed for barbarian, from what I get the extra damage bonus from strength isn't too much (2?) and the damage from weapons itself isn't that much more than a bastard sword (which reminds me, any disadvantages to bastard swords?).

Zell on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Why two handed for barbarian, from what I get the extra damage bonus from strength isn't too much (2?) and the damage from weapons itself isn't that much more than a bastard sword (which reminds me, any disadvantages to bastard swords?).

Let's assume for the purposes of this that your barbarian has 18 STR (+4), is level 1 (+1 base attack bonus) and is wielding a greatsword (2d6 damage.)

Your basic attack in that case is +5 (bab+str) for 2d6+6 damage. (You apply strength bonus one and a half times with a two-handed weapon.)

Power attack allows you to subtract a number from your attack and add it to your damage. If you're using a two-handed weapon, the subtracted number is doubled before it's added. For various reasons, you can only subtract one at this level, making his power attack +4 for 2d6+8 damage.

But, it gets better.

When raging, your barbarian gains +4 to strength (a gain of +2 modifier). His basic attack in that case becomes +7 for 2d6+9 damage, or +6 for 2d6+11 damage when using power attack.

Now, I realize all this seems comparatively small, but D&D scales in single numbers. The best magic weapons won't give you more than a +5 bonus to attack and damage usually. Because a barbarian automatically optimizes for strength with their rage, it only makes sense to take the option that makes strength one and a half times as good. Stuff like +2 here or +4 there is really how you make a monster in this system.

Additionally, a bastard sword is generally a poor choice because you either need to take exotic weapon proficiency to use it one-handed (trading a feat for an upgrade to 1d10 from 1d8 is okay, but not great) or use it two-handed, in which case a greatsword deals more damage at maximum and on average.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are there any good tricks for getting planescape to run under XP? Even patched up, mine had a bad case of the crashes. Infrequent enough to be playable, frequent enough to be reeeaaally frustrating.

I wound up getting like halfway through it before I was just like, eh, screw it

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Speaking of PST, I'm having trouble getting a full install of the game to work. I've changed the INI file to say things like CD2 = path in my C drive, but it still relies on using the discs. No full install, no widescreen mod :(
    At the catacombs. Fuck lycanthropes and their immunity to non-silver weapons. And cranium rats r hard.

Also, I may start a new game with high Int and Wis just to get memories back faster. And being a mage sounds appealing (assuming I can find a mage trainer).

I really hope PST doesn't crash more than it does on Vista. But Discord, you're making it sound like that might be the case :?

EDIT: Baldur's Gate feels a little dated. Such a huge HUD!

Trynant on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Trynant wrote: »
    Speaking of PST, I'm having trouble getting a full install of the game to work. I've changed the INI file to say things like CD2 = path in my C drive, but it still relies on using the discs. No full install, no widescreen mod :(
    At the catacombs. Fuck lycanthropes and their immunity to non-silver weapons. And cranium rats r hard.

Also, I may start a new game with high Int and Wis just to get memories back faster. And being a mage sounds appealing (assuming I can find a mage trainer).

I really hope PST doesn't crash more than it does on Vista. But Discord, you're making it sound like that might be the case :?

EDIT: Baldur's Gate feels a little dated. Such a huge HUD!

Well, you do need a crack in addition to changing the .ini IIRC. The full install is, well, installed whether the game asks for a disk or not.

I fortunately have no trouble running PST on Win 7.

And RE: Baldur's Gate: Install TUTU! with the Widescreen mod!

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Are there any good tricks for getting planescape to run under XP? Even patched up, mine had a bad case of the crashes. Infrequent enough to be playable, frequent enough to be reeeaaally frustrating.

I wound up getting like halfway through it before I was just like, eh, screw it
    Start -- run -- dxdiag -- display -- turn DirectDraw Acceleration OFF.
    Should fix all crashes, but some spell effects will get a bit annoying (changing the entire screen into a solid color). I recommend doing the same for Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale II, should fix slowdown and graphical errors.
    When raging, your barbarian gains +4 to strength (a gain of +2 modifier)
    I forgot this which made the strength bonuses seem smaller (especially considering it eventually turns into +6).
    Power attack allows you to subtract a number from your attack and add it to your damage. If you're using a two-handed weapon, the subtracted number is doubled before it's added. For various reasons, you can only subtract one at this level, making his power attack +4 for 2d6+8 damage.
    Tried this using a quarterstaff and got only +1 damage for removing +1 to hit, sure this is implemented in Icewind Dale II?

Zell on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've got Baldur's Gate without the expansion and Baldur's Gate 2 with Throne of Bhaal. Would that work okay with TUTU, or is this an everything/nothing deal?

(Okay, realistically speaking I'll replay Planescape Torment before I replay the other two, and I've got such a backlog of games that we'll have Windows X before any of this happens...)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thirith wrote: »
    I've got Baldur's Gate without the expansion and Baldur's Gate 2 with Throne of Bhaal. Would that work okay with TUTU, or is this an everything/nothing deal?

(Okay, realistically speaking I'll replay Planescape Torment before I replay the other two, and I've got such a backlog of games that we'll have Windows X before any of this happens...)

i think you're fine
    The Easy TUTU site explains everytihng, it's pretty easy.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I fought Firkraag last night. I died horribly the first time he breathed fire, but man is that music awesome.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I fought Firkraag last night. I died horribly the first time he breathed fire, but man is that music awesome.

i find the
    silver/white dragon in the underdark
    music much better then firkraag.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I fought Firkraag a few days ago. Did all my pre-battle buffs, positioning, and everything.

Killed him instantly with Chromatic Orb that did 8 damage right after Breach knocked down his Stoneskins.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    koro, that is amazing. I had to struggle through for half an hour before I had the brilliant tactical insight of putting my summons on the other side of him. D'oh!

Before I ship off to Spellhold, the second part of Jaheira's Harper thing hasn't happened yet, and it's been well over a week. Is there any way to force spawn those characters?

And I swear, the mindflayers in the sewers are fucking unkillable. Yet Bodhi and Kangaxx and his merry band of liches were easy! I don't understand it.

Coinage on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kangaxx is easy because protection from undead is broken.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The first time I ever killed Firkraag (or maybe this was the black dragon, I don't remember) I reloaded over and over again until Finger of Death worked.

I've never actually been good at fighting in these games, but I love the writing and atmosphere so much I just cheese my way through everything.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Kangaxx is easy because protection from undead is broken.
    I used Protection from Magic. Good thing he didn't think to cast Imprison on any of the party members standing on the side throwing rocks and casting Breach at him!

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I actually cast protection from undead on mord's sword because I had no +4 weapons.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    All you really need to do to beat kangaxx is go slayer. The demi-lich will just try (and fail) to imprison you over and over while you beat on it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I actually cast protection from undead on mord's sword because I had no +4 weapons.
    Carsomyr is the best thing about being a Paladin.

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Some dex gauntlets and Carsomyr on Keldorn and we are good to go.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

I fought Firkraag a few days ago. Did all my pre-battle buffs, positioning, and everything.

Killed him instantly with Chromatic Orb that did 8 damage right after Breach knocked down his Stoneskins.

I always question whether I'm remembering correctly, but I'm pretty sure I've stunned one of those Dragons with the Celestial Fury.

They aren't immune to stuff, its just nearly impossible for them to fail those saves.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I thought that as an Undead Hunter I shouldn't use skeleton spawns, but I think Mind Flayers are impossible without them. Unless maybe you're a fighter mage, then chaotic commands+protection from magic weapons+haste might actually do something for you. I imagine that having to rely on the AI being unable to open doors will get old very quickly.

Coinage on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Coinage wrote: »
    I thought that as an Undead Hunter I shouldn't use skeleton spawns, but I think Mind Flayers are impossible without them. Unless maybe you're a fighter mage, then chaotic commands+protection from magic weapons+haste might actually do something for you.
    It's all about spamming Cloud Kill and/or Sanctuary + Blade Barrier

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I still haven't beat BG2. I played it so much that I burned out on it. I stopped several months ago, and last I remember I was about to enter Suda-what's-its-name.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hahaha, I hadn't thought of Sanctuary and Blade Barrier, that is hilariously awesome.

Wait, no it's not, they save against it every time. Ah well, still a funny idea.

I'm about to go to Spellhold, but Dermin has not yet appeared for the first time for the Harper thing. I got Ravianne to appear after some fiddling (my romance talks are all off because I had cut off the romance somehow without realizing it, so I only figured that out and forced the talks at around day 40), but I'm tired of fiddling. Will it mess anything up in the progression of the romance if she doesn't talk to him about leaving the Harpers? I tried to spawn him like the internet suggested but it wouldn't work.

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just started Icewind Dale II, I'm not particularly familiar with the rule set used in this one.

I'm planning on:

Paladin of Helm/Fighter
    Rogue/Fighter
    Cleric/Fighter
    Druid (designed just to stand back and cast/be an archer, maybe a bit of fighter as well?)
    Wizard
    Monk of the Broken Moon/Sorceror

Anything important I should know about this game? Like, 'make sure you put all your points in halberds for the paladin!' type of thing.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I just started Icewind Dale II, I'm not particularly familiar with the rule set used in this one.

I'm planning on:

Paladin of Helm/Fighter
    Rogue/Fighter
    Cleric/Fighter
    Druid (designed just to stand back and cast/be an archer, maybe a bit of fighter as well?)
    Wizard
    Monk of the Broken Moon/Sorceror

Anything important I should know about this game? Like, 'make sure you put all your points in halberds for the paladin!' type of thing.
    If you've only played the other Infinity Engine games then read the help system about the stats there are some very important differences (also read your class descriptions). I've heard multiclassing spellcasters/monks is a bad idea but I can't remember why.
    I'm about to go to Spellhold, but Dermin has not yet appeared for the first time for the Harper thing. I got Ravianne to appear after some fiddling (my romance talks are all off because I had cut off the romance somehow without realizing it, so I only figured that out and forced the talks at around day 40), but I'm tired of fiddling. Will it mess anything up in the progression of the romance if she doesn't talk to him about leaving the Harpers? I tried to spawn him like the internet suggested but it wouldn't work.
    Editing the variables with ShadowKeeper is the way to fix Jaheira's romance (and sidequest), I think you can avoid the romance to do the sidequest though, which should be optimal as both of them combined will just cause lots of bugs.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Coinage wrote: »
    koro, that is amazing. I had to struggle through for half an hour before I had the brilliant tactical insight of putting my summons on the other side of him. D'oh!

Before I ship off to Spellhold, the second part of Jaheira's Harper thing hasn't happened yet, and it's been well over a week. Is there any way to force spawn those characters?

And I swear, the mindflayers in the sewers are fucking unkillable. Yet Bodhi and Kangaxx and his merry band of liches were easy! I don't understand it.

Chaotic Commands on your highest-AC character pretty much make Mind Flayers (even Ulitharids) chumps.

Best part is that if you use Rogue Rebalancing (maybe even if you don't, I dunno), you can send in a Jester who is Invisible and just confuse the hell out of all the regular Mind Flayers and their Umber Hulks and mop up the stragglers.

I swear, Rogue Rebalancing Jesters are very nearly overpowered. (And they're just changed to PnP settings!) You can Confuse or Stun - or at the very least, Distract enemies for an AC/thac0 penalty - damn near everything, excepting Undead, Demons, and Dragons. This includes normally tricky enemies like Mind Flayers and Beholders. And if you do come up against something un-bard-song-able? You still have all your normal Mage spells in order to blast the crap out of them.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    At that level I doubt his problem is with the mind attacks... Those are the easiest part of mind flayers anyway, the INT decreasing attacks is usually the problem. Potions that increase INT might help, I never got around to trying that. Waiting until he's done the main quest would probably be much more preferable though.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Glitterdust and high- err, low- uh... "more gooderer" AC do wonders against Mind Flayer int-draining melee.

I'll say this, though. My last complete playthrough, Keldorn was a fucking magnet for being insta-gibbed by Mind Flayers. Guy just couldn't handle having a little bit of brain eaten.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is one of my favorite threads, if only to see the heavy hitters display their knowledge of the game. It's fascinating to me. I've owned BG 2 since release and I'm playing through it for only the second time in my life.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Glitterdust and high- err, low- uh... "more gooderer" AC do wonders against Mind Flayer int-draining melee.
    Glitterdust? I never tried sure, but aren't mind flayers the kind of creatures that usually don't fail their saving throw?

Zell on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I've heard multiclassing spellcasters/monks is a bad idea but I can't remember why.

Because they'll be both a terrible spellcaster and a terrible monk that can't cast anything or hit anything. Generally, unless you're aiming for a specific prestige class, don't multiclass in 3e games.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Glitterdust? I never tried sure, but aren't mind flayers the kind of creatures that usually don't fail their saving throw?

I'm not sure. I've almost never had Glitterdust's save get made by the things I cast it on. Just toss out Greater Malison beforehand if need be. It's a pretty underrated spell.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    I've heard multiclassing spellcasters/monks is a bad idea but I can't remember why.

Because they'll be both a terrible spellcaster and a terrible monk that can't cast anything or hit anything. Generally, unless you're aiming for a specific prestige class, don't multiclass in 3e games.

You might want to multi the druid as a ranger

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Arivia wrote: »

You might want to multi the druid as a ranger

Yeah I think I will start again, I'd only fought off some goblins at the start anyway. Apparently you finish the game at around level 16 so for the most part multi doesn't seem worth it

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had very good luck multiing the rogues, pallys and rangers with some fighter levels in IWD2. Makes them a little beefier in a fight and gives you some more feats.

nexuscrawler on