As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Infinity Engine: All Good Things Begin And End With Breach

• Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

You might want to multi the druid as a ranger

You might want to avoid the druid altogether and roll an archer. IWD 2 offers some killer ranged weaponry.

With the paladin, cleric and throngs of potions you'll find, you won't need more divine magic.

I'm not sure rangers actually offer any benefit to archery, so I might just do elven fighter and customize his feats.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tylerbroor wrote: »

You might want to avoid the druid altogether and roll an archer. IWD 2 offers some killer ranged weaponry.

With the paladin, cleric and throngs of potions you'll find, you won't need more divine magic.

I'm not sure rangers actually offer any benefit to archery, so I might just do elven fighter and customize his feats.
    If you want a pure archer, pre-3.5 (and probably even post-3.5) then Fighter-with-archer-feats is going to be better. The main draw of the Ranger is Favored Enemies and limited Divine casting (and different skills, obviously).

Though I never actually played IWD2 so I could be entirely wrong.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For a Dual Wielder a fighter/ranger with enough levels for the DW feats for free is really nice.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Too much min/maxing going on in here for me. Instead, I want to talk about how awesome Planescape: Torment is. I just started recently and I'm enjoying the setting so far, it's my first exposure to Planescape and it's really cool.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    Zell wrote: »
    I've heard multiclassing spellcasters/monks is a bad idea but I can't remember why.

Because they'll be both a terrible spellcaster and a terrible monk that can't cast anything or hit anything. Generally, unless you're aiming for a specific prestige class, don't multiclass in 3e games.

Rangers are almost useless in Icewind Dale II. I can think of two uses, scouting and mixing one (and never more than that) ranger level to get free two weapon fighting feats, but you would have to be wearing light armor for that.
    You might want to avoid the druid altogether and roll an archer.
    Druids are offensive spellcasters that can fight decently at the same time, no other class will give you that. Any class can learn to use a bow.

Zell on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had very good luck multiing the rogues, pallys and rangers with some fighter levels in IWD2. Makes them a little beefier in a fight and gives you some more feats.

That's what i'm doing, 4 levels of fighter for weapon mastery and 2 extra feats.

I replaced my monk/sorc with a bard/fighter. Also I'm keeping my druid/fighter, he has 18 dex and he'll get full mastery of the bow. And if he's going to stand around at the back shooting he may as well be a class with a decent list of spells.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    I've heard multiclassing spellcasters/monks is a bad idea but I can't remember why.

Because they'll be both a terrible spellcaster and a terrible monk that can't cast anything or hit anything. Generally, unless you're aiming for a specific prestige class, don't multiclass in 3e games.

Yeah I think I will start again, I'd only fought off some goblins at the start anyway. Apparently you finish the game at around level 16 so for the most part multi doesn't seem worth it

I remember my drow bladesinger being quite absurd. the ASF feats helped.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure if it was here or in the NWN thread, but there was mention of an excellent campaign module for Neverwinter Nights 1, going from first level to epic. Does anyone happen to know what I might be thinking about, and if it needs the expansions?

Vic on
  • Options
    WembleyWembley Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think I'm going to do a run through of Baldur's Gate starting at 1 and carrying on through Throne of Baal. I bought some odd set a while ago that has the games on dvds. If I install and patch under vista 64 bit, am I going to have any problems? Assume I'll be using TuTu to run Baldur's Gate 1.

Wembley on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wembley wrote: »
    I think I'm going to do a run through of Baldur's Gate starting at 1 and carrying on through Throne of Baal. I bought some odd set a while ago that has the games on dvds. If I install and patch under vista 64 bit, am I going to have any problems? Assume I'll be using TuTu to run Baldur's Gate 1.

try BGT if you are going through all of them, you dont have to fuck around with importing and stats for everyone carry over, which wouldnt happen normally unless you fucked around with shadowkeeper.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it was here or in the NWN thread, but there was mention of an excellent campaign module for Neverwinter Nights 1, going from first level to epic. Does anyone happen to know what I might be thinking about, and if it needs the expansions?

If it was for NWN1, it's probably in the NWN thread here. Probably couldn't hurt to bump it, though it's probably Aielund that was mentioned.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sorry to keep bothering you guys, but I did get Dermin to appear after forcing the love talks, but Jaheira won't leave after the second talk with Dermin. I rest and rest but nothing happens. Any ideas? Some website said that she needs to be kidnapped by bandits in order for the romance to proceed normally, but that never happened to me, perhaps because I was accelerating love talks. That woman just came and told me to go to the Harper Hold.

Coinage on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    you probably broke a script somewhere
    Jaheira's romance involves several little sidequests (the plague thing and a couple trips to harper hold), and you probably skipped one of'em

I sort of want to reinstall this and do a solo playthrough, since I've never done that before. What classes are usually used for that, sorcerors and fighter/mage/thieves?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    f-k-tf-k-t Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    Chaotic Commands on your highest-AC character pretty much make Mind Flayers (even Ulitharids) chumps.

This is good advice. Vanilla flayers only have two things going for them, their ranged stun and intellect devouring. Chaotic commands nullifies the stun, and the drain is mitigated by a good AC and intelligence potions. Potions of mind focusing (+3 int and dex) are awesome. Summons are a big help too: they soak stuns, block paths, and deal physical damage, which is how you kill mind flayers.

You can also use terrain to your advantage, since almost every time you fight illithid it's in small rooms connected by narrow curvy corridors. Two characters abreast will block a hall or a doorway, preventing the flayers from swarming anyone (and it's swarms of mind flayers that kill people; a character with a negative AC and potions of genius can restore intelligence as fast as one or two flayers can drain it). Meanwhile, mind flayers have no ranged damage capability, but you do. A couple of competent archers will make a mess of them while your tanks and summons hold the line. Block in the right place, and the illithids in the rear might not even have line of sight to stun your archers due to the curves of the corridors.

So yeah, illithid ain't so bad. Beholders, on the other hand, give me the shits.

f-k-t on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the high level ones only have to hit you a couple times, though, which is especially problematic because most of the fighter-characters have middling to low intelligence.

Chaotic commands is good; the easiest way I found to deal with them is to use some stun-immune character to soak up their first wave of stuns, and drag them back to where everyone else is waiting with spells and ranged weapons.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    chaotic commands and complete abuse of traps and doors.

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If I'm lazy, I'll stealth my Jester and send in a couple skeleton warriors.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Often times after I complete an RPG, if I decide to play it a second time I will use a walkthrough so I can see all of the things that I missed.

I've been trying to do it with BG 2, and it really doesn't lend itself well to the idea. Since I've abandoned the walkthrough my enjoyment has increased tenfold.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sigh, this is why I hate Icewind Dale II, I want to restart it again already. It have reminded me way too many times how useless a rogue is. Their only real skill, backstabbing seems to rely a lot on invisibility potions and lots of work.

Considering replacing him with a tiefling ranger for a scout/archer which would also give me wilderness lore, I'm a bit confused if he's going to be a decent fighter or not with dual wielding short swords with weapon finesse in melee combat though.

Also considering getting rid of the sorcerer in favor of a specialized wizard, with a full party the progression of scrolls I find seems about the same as my sorcerer's spell progression and the extra feats sound really nice. Plus, having points in intelligence and not charisma means I can learn more skills (which my current party is sort of lacking).

Good ideas? Also why did I wait until the Ice Temple with rethinking this...

Zell on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Coinage wrote: »
    Sorry to keep bothering you guys, but I did get Dermin to appear after forcing the love talks, but Jaheira won't leave after the second talk with Dermin. I rest and rest but nothing happens. Any ideas? Some website said that she needs to be kidnapped by bandits in order for the romance to proceed normally, but that never happened to me, perhaps because I was accelerating love talks. That woman just came and told me to go to the Harper Hold.

If you haven't yet, try reading the Romance FAQ or checking the Bioware BG2 boards for stuff about Jaheira romance bugs. I don't think I've ever run into any problems with her, since I've only ever used romance fixes for her.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Unofficial bug fixes won't help that much, Jaheira's romance still breaks a lot.

Zell on
  • Options
    TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sigh, this is why I hate Icewind Dale II, I want to restart it again already. It have reminded me way too many times how useless a rogue is. Their only real skill, backstabbing seems to rely a lot on invisibility potions and lots of work.

I believe you have an option to turn on 3E backstabbing, which does less damage but allows you to merely flank enemies to get a bs. Could be IWD 1, but if it's in 1, it's likely in 2. Also, as people have been mentioning, adding a couple fighter levels really makes a difference in the durability and accuracy of your rogue.

As far as the sorceror/wizard dilemma, it really comes down to opinion. They're pretty well balanced, but I think most people opt for the sorceror for the CHA. They make pretty good party leaders and diplomats, and most D&D vets know exactly what spells they'll need.

Tylerbroor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks koro, I think I finally fixed it. Somehow.

Coinage on
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I always found Mord's sword the easiest way to deal with Illithids and Ullitharids (sp?). Does good damage and is immune to basically anything they can throw at it.

Just stand there and wait until the sword killed them all.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    When a spell says casting time 5, what does that actually mean and how does that fit into casting spells and shooting ranged in the same round?

And does anybody else think that Lich robe in the Adventurer's Mart is cheesy and lame? Being able to cast Breach instantly for a mere 20,000 gold is not what was intended for gameplay, I think.

Coinage on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Coinage wrote: »
    When a spell says casting time 5, what does that actually mean and how does that fit into casting spells and shooting ranged in the same round?

And does anybody else think that Lich robe in the Adventurer's Mart is cheesy and lame? Being able to cast Breach instantly for a mere 20,000 gold is not what was intended for gameplay, I think.

The length of a round, I believe, is 10. I think they're supposed to be seconds, but I'm not sure. Anyways, you can only cast one spell per round, regardless of spell casting time unless you're using Improved Alacrity, but apparently there's a bug/feature wherein if you cast and then attack, you'll attack for the remainder of the round the spell didn't occupy. I'm not sure what the mathematics on it are, but in this case, you'd get half a round of attacking - not sure if that means it plays out like a normal round cut short, or if you get half the number of attacks you'd normally get per round.

Also, Vecna's Robe is a pre-order bonus item, and there are wands that can cast Breach anyways if you have ToB. I find it really only OP when you start throwing insta-cast Dragon's Breaths.

hippofant on
  • Options
    f-k-tf-k-t Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's basically right. A round is only six seconds of real time, but it's broken down into 10 units, so the spell with a casting time of 5 takes 3 seconds.

There's a mod on G3 called sword coast stratagems 2 that moves certain high-powered items to places that are more appropriate to their awesomeness. The robe of vecna winds up near the bottom of watcher's keep, as does the cloak of mirroring.

f-k-t on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    SCS2 is a terrible thing that does far far more than just shift some items around and anyone who recommends it should be ashamed, if only for the amount of game-slowing scripts the thing uses.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    hardly slows down any part of the game unless you are running it on a computer from 1802.

its a great mod, that and the one for bgtutu.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    hardly slows down any part of the game unless you are running it on a computer from 1802.

its a great mod, that and the one for bgtutu.

You got a problem with the Difference Engine?
    I know 1802 pre-dates the difference engine, but it's the oldest one I could think of.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Turning off directdraw acceleration might help with slowdowns.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's not anything game-related. It's the sheer number of scripts the thing runs. The game simply stops for a while whenever something spawns, even if it's off-screen, due to all the stuff SCS2 runs.

Even people with far better PCs than mine have had temp lockup problems.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's not anything game-related. It's the sheer number of scripts the thing runs. The game simply stops for a while whenever something spawns, even if it's off-screen, due to all the stuff SCS2 runs.

Even people with far better PCs than mine have had temp lockup problems.
    Just try doing what I said anyway if you haven't already.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't have SCS2 installed because I can't stand the gameplay changes it makes. The performance issues I was willing to ignore.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't have SCS2 installed because I can't stand the gameplay changes it makes. The performance issues I was willing to ignore.

you dont like mages making you their personal bitch?

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

you dont like mages making you their personal bitch?

I don't need a mod for that. I just have to play the game.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks guys, that makes more sense now I didn't realize the rounds divided by 10, although that sort of seems like making things unnecessarily complicated.

And boo to Imoen only being level 11 from Spellhold! Jan was 15 thief/14 mage from all my questing! She should get the same amount of experience I have. I would cheat it but since Bioware knew I could do all that stuff in Atkathla beforehand it would feel like really cheating.

Coinage on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Unnecessarily complicated? Welcome to 2ED.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    Unnecessarily complicated? Welcome to 2ED.

AD&D 2e is a very simple system compared to the third edition.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You need a slide rule to figure out THAC0.

langfor6 on