As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Mobile/Portable Gaming Titles for PAX '09

2»

• PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    Isn't the new Chrystal Chronicles DS multiplayer?

Both Ring of Fates and Echoes of Time are multiplayer. I thought they were originally on the list but maybe I was mistaken. I also thought that this thread was intended for multiplayer games since since every game for DS/GB/PSP/iPhone is obviously multiplayer. Am I mistaken?

PeasantDave on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Both Ring of Fates and Echoes of Time are multiplayer. I thought they were originally on the list but maybe I was mistaken. I also thought that this thread was intended for multiplayer games since since every game for DS/GB/PSP/iPhone is obviously multiplayer. Am I mistaken?

Whilst most games do have some multiplayer some do not. I'm recommending these for waiting in queues, of which there are many at PAX sadly. As for Chrystal Chronicals I haven't added that specifically as I've filed it under 'Final Fantasy' of which there are many on both the DS and PSP. I may however split them up a bit if pressed.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lumines one of the first multiplayer game on the PSP and still one of the best.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • CuZZaCuZZa Khoo's Epic Mount Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My friends have been making up competitive ways to play Flight Control. one of the more fun ones is to see how many planes you can have on the screen all at once, kind of like a spinning plates dilemma. Record by Kitta is 18. Also my friends have a constant comp thing going with high scores. Noodlez is currently winning on 138. We've also done time runs and stunt runs (getting planes to fly in formation).

CuZZa on
  • HikariStarshineHikariStarshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Personally, I'd like to see more music-game presence than I had any luck at finding last year. Ouendan 1/2 and Elite Beat Agents on the DS are quite fun multiplayer, and ever since getting my PSP, I've been *dying* to get a chance to try out DJMax's multiplayer against someone else, whether on the US version or one of the Korean ones. Gitaroo-Man Lives! has multiplayer as well, that I remember being very fun on the PS2 version, so that's probably pretty good on the PSP as well.

HikariStarshine on
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    kropotkin wrote: »

Whilst most games do have some multiplayer some do not. I'm recommending these for waiting in queues, of which there are many at PAX sadly. As for Chrystal Chronicals I haven't added that specifically as I've filed it under 'Final Fantasy' of which there are many on both the DS and PSP. I may however split them up a bit if pressed.
    Perhaps listing some of the more popular final fantasy titles would be prudent, so that people know which ones to go out and buy.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • ThemindtakerThemindtaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    what about the game mentioned in yesterday's comic an newspost? has anyone else played it? would anyone like to? It sounds like there is a definite potential for good times.

Themindtaker on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I was going to ask the same. The vids of it make the combat look pokemon-ish, but I think I might pick it up anyway.

SlickShughes on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Personally, I'd like to see more music-game presence than I had any luck at finding last year. Ouendan 1/2 and Elite Beat Agents on the DS are quite fun multiplayer, and ever since getting my PSP, I've been *dying* to get a chance to try out DJMax's multiplayer against someone else, whether on the US version or one of the Korean ones. Gitaroo-Man Lives! has multiplayer as well, that I remember being very fun on the PS2 version, so that's probably pretty good on the PSP as well.

Daigasso! Band Brothers is a bit harder to come by than Ouendan/EBA/DJ Max (being a Japanese-only launch title and all that), but its multiplayer is awesome. It allows 8 people to play wirelessly for every single cartridge, but it's cumulative - that is, you can have a 16-player match if you have 2 copies of the game, 24 with 3, etc.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • MarzGurlMarzGurl Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For DS:
    Bringing along Mario Kart DS and Poke'mon Pearl for certain. Other good choices with download play include Puyo Pop Fever, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!, and Elite Beat Agents.

For PSP: I have the second Monster Hunter for PSP, Phantasy Star Portable, and the Japanese Gundam port of the P.O.D. arcade game, which has ad hoc downloadablilty.

I'll play anything with anyone!

MarzGurl on
    http://www.marzgurlproductions.com - Your Convention Video is On the Way!
    Also find me at http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com !
    edited May 2009
    Getting kid of flooded here :) OK I'll sort through these games and place them on the OP. I'll also make some additions to the Final Fantasy section.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited May 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    Daigasso! Band Brothers is a bit harder to come by than Ouendan/EBA/DJ Max (being a Japanese-only launch title and all that), but its multiplayer is awesome. It allows 8 people to play wirelessly for every single cartridge, but it's cumulative - that is, you can have a 16-player match if you have 2 copies of the game, 24 with 3, etc.

Now, I actually have that. And the expansion cartridge. But for some reason, I wasn't ever able to become very good at it. Hmm. Maybe I'll go ahead and bring that along, see if I can't get some tips or something.

Didn't they come out with a sequel now, too? I seem to remember seeing something Band Brothers-related at the Pink Godzilla booth last year that looked newer.

HikariStarshine on
  • MissDizzyBeeMissDizzyBee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's not really a popular game in general and especially not at pax, but I carry Guilty Gear around with me. I should have Judgement and Accent Core with me this year, so if anyone wants to play them, come find me. :P

MissDizzyBee on
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I would invest in GG, but I can't play without an arcade stick...

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
    edited May 2009
    So, is anyone else planning on picking up Pangya Fantasy Golf when it comes out next month, on PSP? That might be worth some decent multiplayer goodness...

HikariStarshine on
    edited May 2009
    what about the game mentioned in yesterday's comic an newspost? has anyone else played it? would anyone like to? It sounds like there is a definite potential for good times.

I got my hands on this earlier this week. It's fun, but I don't think it's any good for quick pick up games - playing vs my wife and 1 computer controlled character took 2.5 hours. Granted it was our first play of it, but still. There's ways to shorten the game duration, but I think you're locked into that long onefor single card multi.

I'm going to bring it anyway, mostly for the PAXtrain. Should hopefully get some use out of it there.

SlickShughes on
  • solomanisolomani Sydney, AURegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I thought there was a thread about mobile gaming (games to play while waiting in line for example) with a list of things people were bringing. Seems to have disappeared or merged with another thread.

For all those PSP users out there I will be brining Space Invaders Extreme and Battle of Atluna.

solomani on
  • drale03drale03 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Great thread idea.

Speaking of mobile computing, what's a good head to head game or games for the iPhone?

drale03 on
    edited July 2009
    Apologies for letting this thread languish for so long! I've been working quite hard on post ... oops, almost mentioned the expo that shalt not be mentioned in these forums!. Anyway I will be making amends later today by adding some titles on the OP.

In answer to drale03's comment, I would try Real Racing, that is a racing sim that has direct ad-hoc WiFi play on it.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited July 2009
    Carcassonne Coming To A DS Near You

So all over this if it's out before PAX.

SlickShughes on
  • BrillyanceBrillyance Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hmmm...nobody mentioned the GTA titles for PSP. Whenever I've had to wait in lines for console/shoe releases, those are always heavy hitters. That's all we played waiting for the X360 to drop.

Brillyance on
    edited August 2009
    Brillyance wrote: »
    hmmm...nobody mentioned the GTA titles for PSP. Whenever I've had to wait in lines for console/shoe releases, those are always heavy hitters. That's all we played waiting for the X360 to drop.

Oh thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I keep on meaning to tend to it. I really have to add a bunch of titles to the list, especially some new iPhone/iPod Touch games such as Harbour Master and Space Invaders Infinity Gene. I shall work on it this evening.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If anyone wants to play Mancala on iPhone or iPod I'm with you 100%. Not the most crazy game sure but it's still fun... that and I'm tired of whooping the computer all the time.

Lokiale on
    East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty new to iPhone but I really like Tap Tap Revenge 2. I don't have anyone to try the multiplayer with at the moment, but it's great for getting that rhythm fix in during my commute!

trickycoolj on
  • ThistledownThistledown Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Perhaps Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for the PSP. 4-player ad-hoc.

Thistledown on
  • DragondevonDragondevon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    OK well what im going to bring is:

DS:
    final fantasy A2
    Age of Empire: Mythologies
    Pokemon Pearl (just got it so im not far)
    Lost Magic
    Chrono Trigger

PSP:
    Puzzle Quest
    LOTR tactics
    DND Tactics
    Untold Legends
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Final Fantasy 2
    Dungeon Siege

Dragondevon on
    "The times are duanting, its perilous to walk out your front door anymore. The enemy is everywhere, hidden in technology, smiling faces, and laziness. Though, we are not given the luxury to give up. We are the last bastion of hope for our species. We are HUMANS!!!!RAAAAAR"-Devon
    "Dude, I think he's a zombie."
    "No he's not, he's dead."
    "But he's still walking around."
    "Which makes him one of the walking dead."
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."
    "No, that makes him a zombie."

"You sound like WALL-E having sex with a Speak and Spell"
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Perhaps Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for the PSP. 4-player ad-hoc.

I fully support this.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There used to be a thread like this, but search isn't brining it up.

Ok, I have a DS and haven't bought a game or followed multiplay in a few years.

This is what I have, and assume that are pretty much must have:
    Tetris
    Puzzle Quest (Original)
    Mario Kart

What else should I have?
    Bomberman (which one?)
    Did they make a Pac-Man Vs for DS?

EDIT: Woah, I'm an idiot - sorry guys!

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not to be a PITA, but if they have time can the OP be updated to denote which games multi-play just fine with only one cart? So I can save monies for other stuff. Thanks.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • rythos42rythos42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bomberman DS is a great game, and support multi-player with only 1 cartridge. Mario Kart as well, but personally - owning Mario Kart is well worth it. Not only do you get to play Mario Kart whenever you like, but you also get to unlock all of the special carts. I love driving R.O.B. and having people ask "What on earth is that thing?!" haha

rythos42 on
    edited August 2009
    darren66 wrote: »
    Not to be a PITA, but if they have time can the OP be updated to denote which games multi-play just fine with only one cart? So I can save monies for other stuff. Thanks.

I'll do this today. Sory about neglecting it, been as busy as hell recently :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• SpiraUnitedSpiraUnited Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm amazed nobody's mentioned Advance Wars Dual Strike! I'm bringing that, the two Taiko no Tatsujin games, and most of the other games mentioned in this thread. If anyone's got Taiko, we need to have a drum duel.

SpiraUnited on
  • ZionadZionad CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I demand people play china town wars with me!

Zionad on
    I do it all for the pew pew
  • g0mg0m Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Oh man, I hope a good few people have EBA/OSU. I'll take you all on.

g0m on
  • lostsocklostsock Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I'll be bringing Mario Party DS. That's always a fun time killer that can be 4 player with just one card.

lostsock on
    edited August 2009
    OP has been updated to include titles mentioned in this thread. Thanks everyone for suggesting them, lets hope we see these games being played at PAX.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

This discussion has been closed.