As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Window-[Chat]ter (hey Than, check pg 19)

• Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    Depressed chat is boring! Can't we talk about Steven Segal dishing out real justice?

Who's depressed here? Steven Segal, that's boring and trite.

Oh boo hoo life is meaningless. Boo hoo I'm going to die. Shut up these are the conversation podly and _J_ circle jerk to!

To be fair, I actually find the whole thing quite beautiful rather than depressing.

I'm awe-struck, it's like listening to Carl Sagan.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    And most importantly, no one will care. even your parents will get over it. and when they die, the universe will pretty much forget you ever existed... assuming it ever noticed...

No they won't.

sure they will. once the initial shock is over, and their new course is set. or at least once they're buried themselves...

ONce they're dead, yeah. Up until that point, no. Losing a child is probably enough to create one of those emotional wounds that never really heal, you just get used to the pain. There are some things you do not get over, you just get used to.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Depressed chat is boring! Can't we talk about Steven Segal dishing out real justice?

Who's depressed here? Steven Segal, that's boring and trite.

Oh boo hoo life is meaningless. Boo hoo I'm going to die. Shut up these are the conversation podly and _J_ circle jerk to!

Can't some of us say, Hot dog! Life is meaningless! Pressures off, write a book, burn a church, kill a puppy, do what ever you want! Just don't go spending it watching TV. Unless of course you like that sort of thing...

Boo hoo my ass.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

ONce they're dead, yeah. Up until that point, no. Losing a child is probably enough to create one of those emotional wounds that never really heal, you just get used to the pain. There are some things you do not get over, you just get used to.

People still haven't gotten over firefly being cancelled!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Elldren wrote: »
    And most importantly, no one will care. even your parents will get over it. and when they die, the universe will pretty much forget you ever existed... assuming it ever noticed...

No they won't.

sure they will. once the initial shock is over, and their new course is set. or at least once they're buried themselves...

I'll gladly agree with you. I am happy with, they will get used to it.

most importantly, no one will care. even your parents will get used to it. and when they die, the universe will pretty much forget you ever existed... assuming it ever noticed..

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Can't some of us say, Hot dog! Life is meaningless! Pressures off, write a book, burn a church, kill a puppy, do what ever you want! Just don't go spending it watching TV. Unless of course you like that sort of thing...

Boo hoo my ass.

Life isn't meaningless you homp, maybe yours is.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Getting used to it =/= not caring.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    shakira's new song is pretty catchy

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Boo hoo my ass.

I fill my life with meaning. Life alone is meaningless.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Podly wrote: »
    Nostregar wrote: »
    1.) Life has no purpose other than what we give it

This is specious logic. If life has no purpose other than what we give it, then the purpose of life is thereby to give it purpose. If this is true, then two does not necessarily follow from one. I would agree with you, but I would also say that two is not as open as you make it to be, and three is outright incorrect.

I would say that's specious logic, Podly. We could very easily not give life purpose, in which case why should the purpose of life be to give it purpose?

That is not a logical proposition. Logic gives no propositions, it is the coherence and inference of propositions. For your point that we could not give live a purpose, I would argue that the existential structure of angst reveals the purpose-driven nature of Dasein in its suspension of purposelessness. cf §40 of Being and Time
    The fact that what is threatening is nowhere characterizes what Angst is about. Angst "does not know" what it is about which it is anxious. But "nowhere" does not mean nothing; rather, region in general lies therein, and disclosedness of the world in general for essentially spatial being-in. [...] What oppresses us is not this or that, nor is it everything objectively present together as a sum, but the possibility of things at hand in general, that is, the world itself. When Angst has quieted down, in our everyday way of talking we are accustomed to say "it was really nothing." [...] The world, however, ontologically belongs essentially to the being of Dasein as being-in-the-world. So if what Angst is about exposes nothing, that is, the world as such, this means that about which Angst is anxious is being-in-the-world-itself.

In the possibility of meaninglessness, the structure of meaning is always-already revealed and existed-towards.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The last battle Steven Seagal won was against a pint of Ben and Jerry's Double fudge Chunk

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think I'm gonna be sick at work,

nothing to do.

3 hours left....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ok. It's after 6pm. I'm not doing any more today.

Woohoo! Work is over!

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The last battle Steven Seagal won was against a pint of Ben and Jerry's Double fudge Chunk

Steven Segal VS A box of donuts FIGHT!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I didn't say they wouldn't care. i said after the initial shock, your parents and the world around them will move on as though you were never even there.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna be sick at work,

nothing to do.

3 hours left....

I threw up at work once, I still stuck around. Just we had a new menu item that day "Beef Stroganoff".

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have absolutely no idea what Podly's last post just said.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I didn't say they wouldn't care. i said after the initial shock, your parents and the world around them will move on as though you were never even there.

No shit, people adjust to loss? Wow wally you bringing the truth bombs today.

Wally: "Man Suns going to come up tomorrow, just proves it always does."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Actual conversation I had today:

"You've seen this data capture thing before, right?"
    "Err, sort of"
    "I need you to train eight people to use it."

Apparently it is only possible to ask questions of the project lead on this one by email, via an intermediary. This does not bode well.

japan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

Neither does podly, but its coo.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Boo hoo my ass.

"Life is meaningless" is the biggest heap of bullshit people seem to get a taste for in teen years when they're angsty as fuck and that preppy bitch in math class won't look their way.

Meaning, if you want to call it that, is in doing ____, because ____ is what I wish to do. It isn't difficult: meaning is in the making.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

philosophers really only function within their own logical constructs. While not entirely useless, they are most important only in reference to other philosophers.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Preach check that link you fuck

Tav on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    japan wrote: »

"Err, sort of"

Apparently it is only possible to ask questions of the project lead on this one by email, via an intermediary. This does not bode well.

Japan I swear to god your job sounds like a bad sitcom/dilbert comic. Do you ever catch a faint laugh track when someone asks you something ridiculous?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

People still haven't gotten over firefly being cancelled!

I still haven't gotten over John Doe being canceled. Swear to God. I even read the Wikipedia entry on it yesterday, and wept.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

That life cannot be meaningless, although it can appear as such.

And as for your previous point, my proposition was not a logical one, because it made no attempt at inference.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Tav wrote: »

Work safe no nudity. I'm at a loss tav.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2009

No shit, people adjust to loss? Wow wally you bringing the truth bombs today.

Wally: "Man Suns going to come up tomorrow, just proves it always does."

if we were talking about how sunrises are meaningless (but still beautiful) I might bring that up.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Neither does podly, but its coo.

I just gloss over those posts now. This was after a conversation in which it took Podly two pages and about fifteen posts to explain what the "top" and "bottom" of an innings in baseball are. I hold out no hope for his posts on anything more complex ever being comprehensible.

japan on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Drez wrote: »

I still haven't gotten over John Doe being canceled. Swear to God. I even read the Wikipedia entry on it yesterday, and wept.

For me it was strange luck and briscoe county Jr.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2009

"Err, sort of"

Yes, I've had jobs like that. My current is excellent in that we interface with Paris quite often, and I used proprietary systems supported by the Paris tech desk. Guess what? They are never there during OUR business hours. So if something goes wrong, we're fucked.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Drez wrote: »

For me it was strange luck and briscoe county Jr.

Brisco County, Jr.

sigh...

I adored that show.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I just gloss over those posts now. This was after a conversation in which it took Podly two pages and about fifteen posts to explain what the "top" and "bottom" of an innings in baseball are. I hold out no hope for his posts on anything more complex ever being comprehensible.

I asked podly how he buttered his bread, I tuned out halfway through the joyce.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It's essentially a site based off the same premise of that cracked link. No nudity from what I can tell, at least not on the first page.

Tav on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I can think of a few people I would have a really hard time moving on from if they died.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

It's essentially a site based off the same premise of that cracked link. No nudity from what I can tell, at least not on the first page.

Oh oh you were saying check your link, durr I thought you were saying my link was screwed up or something.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2009

"Err, sort of"

Japan I swear to god your job sounds like a bad sitcom/dilbert comic. Do you ever catch a faint laugh track when someone asks you something ridiculous?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. There was supposed to be a reorganisation of pretty much everything a month or so ago, but this hasn't happened for myriad reasons, so now everybody is reorganising themselves on an ad-hoc basis, which is how you end up with things like entire teams not being included in mandated training sessions (which, in turn, is why I got landed with this).

japan on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    shakira's new song is pretty catchy

:slap:

No!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I can think of a few people I would have a really hard time moving on from if they died.

It's ok when Gianna Micheals dies of her inevitable saline poisoning, I'll find a way to move on.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.