As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 8-26-09: Too Close to Home

124»

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:
    He also possesses a hypnotic charm that allows him to exert a subtle influence over sentient beings, leading them to believe what he says and agree with his suggestions. This charm is so powerful if given a chance, Gambit could charm the Shadow King.[4] However, the charm does not work on those who know about it.

Goddamnit!
    Damn you. I had blocked that out of my memory.

Claremont really did/does have a hard-on for Gambit.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    And don't forget, when Gambit charges himself, he gets super strong and super fast instead of exploding.

Anyways, my moment of the week, at least so far, surprised me. I've only read my Marvel books, but Initiative was a great surprise. They actually managed to tell a good story about Johnny Guitar and Dr. Sax and make me care about a couple of the most Z-List characters ever.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MotW: Getting Straczynski to sign my Supreme Power Hardcovers at Fanexpo.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Gambit is the lost Summers brother, he needs to have all sorts of cool powers after he's been a mystery for so long.

Fuck Vulcan.

If you've ever read X-Men: The End, then you'd know how close to the truth that is.

It may possibly come up in X-Men Forever as well, should it stay in publication long enough.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    Gambit is the lost Summers brother, he needs to have all sorts of cool powers after he's been a mystery for so long.

Fuck Vulcan.

If you've ever read X-Men: The End, then you'd know how close to the truth that is.

It may possibly come up in X-Men Forever as well, should it stay in publication long enough.

I loved that part of X-Men: The End. Even though Marvel doesn't treat future stories as part of the canon, I still pretend that's exactly where Gambit came from.

Hensler on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought the idea that part of the reason Scott and Jean's marriage failed was because Madelyne Pryror was the portion of Jean that truly loved Scott was an interesting idea, too.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, that was rad, too. Claremont still comes up with great ideas, but his writing just doesn't work much anymore. There was a ton I loved about The End, but I wish it would have been Claremont's plot with a different writer, or at least a co-writer. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if ideas from X-Men Forever tie directly into the future of The End.

Hensler on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One of Claremont's biggest weaknesses is his obsession with his pet characters, like Kitty and Gambit and Psylocke.

But, we're getting perilously off-topic!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, Nova remains actually danged good. They need to keep up the whole narrative going to new places thing. So far they have managed to shift a good deal in tone, setting, and characters in a really short time. It's kept being interesting and pretty dang well-written. I especially liked the King Blastaar bit this week.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, Nova reminding Blastaar what he did to Annhilus was a pretty damn nice moment. I love Nova, and want a Nova Prime action figure.

Hensler on