As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[miniphalla] Phallanx: A Newbie Phalla - Game Over. Mafia win.

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    I totally failed my Mentee.

You totally should have guarded me on Day 1

oh and !signup

Tell me about it.

Well I'll get my revenge !signup

No mentors this time , Toxic :(

We have to sit alone in the old people's booth.

Damn. I guess I'll sit over here with my apple sause.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh oh!!

Sign me up

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    !THIS ISSS SPARRTTTAAAAAAAAAA

What a great game! I am definitely finding it tough to keep post activity and not seems strange, or even suspicious as a villager, while living in GMT+3. It's like, I get on, and I'm talking to myself. No one is around. OooOoOOoooo.....

THat said, I learned a lot from this Phalla. I think my arguements made sense, and I tend to always think of things statistically, but making a big vote and then swapping it right away didn't make much sense from the outside.

Reason I switched votes to dogbone right after voting Robos was his overuse of the words "we" and "us"... trying too hard to seem like a villager, I thought. Ahh well :) Hopefully live longer in round two!

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks to Julius for the game. The narration was very nice.

Congratulations to the Persians, in the end you played the village like a fiddle.

!signup for round 2, obviously.

I was happy with my mentor Daius, even if we didn't talk much. He answered some questions at the beginning, then I thought I didn't need him anymore. Like someone else said: Once I was in the good network I had other people to bounce my ideas off. I'm holding off with my Candy vote for now, I have to reread the start of the thread for that.

If I could vote in blue, I'd probably go Gonmun and not pigeonking. Gonmun did a great job of hiding as the Seer.

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DacVin then. He and Spectrum were the most vocal and since we were told not to vote for Spectrum...

But all advice in the beginning was valuable, it's kinda hard to pick one guy to vote for. The mentor idea helps in that you have one dedicated person that has the same info about the game state as you. I liked it.

Grobian on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Grobian wrote: »
    DacVin then. He and Spectrum were the most vocal and since we were told not to vote for Spectrum...

But all advice in the beginning was valuable, it's kinda hard to pick one guy to vote for. The mentor idea helps in that you have one dedicated person that has the same info about the game state as you. I liked it.
    JULIUS YOU JERK

;)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was happy with my mentor Daius, even if we didn't talk much. He answered some questions at the beginning, then I thought I didn't need him anymore. Like someone else said: Once I was in the good network I had other people to bounce my ideas off. I'm holding off with my Candy vote for now, I have to reread the start of the thread for that.

I WAITED FOR PM'S ASKING FOR HELP ON DAY 2

THEY NEVER CAME

MY LITTLE BOY WAS ALL GROWN UP AND BECAME PART OF THE BIG BAD WORLD

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Daius wrote: »

I WAITED FOR PM'S ASKING FOR HELP ON DAY 2

THEY NEVER CAME

MY LITTLE BOY WAS ALL GROWN UP AND BECAME PART OF THE BIG BAD WORLD

his next step is mixing up you and daius.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Blackhawk down! Blackhawk down!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lyjuC2xXa8
    Actually, I believe I was absent most of day 2.

Grobian on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thanks for that Grobian. I was trying to remain active but tried not to draw too much attention to myself. I still feel bad about the loss but it's a learning experience. On the final day it came down to a 1 in 3 chance for me and with Simpsons feeling alright about Tally and I was feeling fairly secure with Ath we were figuring pigeon was it. I was a little shaky all day with the decision and I even asked Gumpy about it to which he replied with this...
    Gumpy wrote:
    "Luke, trust your feelings"

I should have kept it on him obviously. Oh well, now it's time to make up for it.

EDIT: Are we keeping this thread for part 2 or starting a new one?

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Julius CaezureJulius Caezure Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Phase two will take place in this thread also.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm flattered to see I was killed because you guys thought I might figure out the final mafia, and not just because of a grudge or whatever. I wish I had made it far enough to try to crack that.

It was mostly because noone would think twice about your death when I died and was revealed as mafia. We spent the evening before going over our vote records and suspicions in thread and trying to find two people that we had never mentioned. Once I was going to die and pablo did his mind games again the obvious choice was you and pablo.

I have to say I hope I am village next time. I felt so bad having to kill people. It was fun for the first day or two when we were killing people who basically never talked. But I didn't like voting for people who were talking either so then I tried to start voting for people who didn't talk and then I worried that mafia killing the same people would out me.

But yeah, we had no idea who the seer was, I think Gonmun did a very good job hiding.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm looking forward to actually participating this time, rather than yelling from the sidelines on the mafia proboard.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I was rather paranoid day 1 when pigeon voted for me. I was hoping that it was more of a random selection then anything else but that day I was really nervous.

Gonmun on
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gonmun wrote: »
    I was rather paranoid day 1 when pigeon voted for me. I was hoping that it was more of a random selection then anything else but that day I was really nervous.
    Unless you give them something, nobody has anything on you day one.

It takes at least one night to seer you. And the Mafia didn't even have that this time. No extra information besides who they were masoned to, just two kills a night.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would like to compliment all the newbies on their decorum. This was a very pleasant phalla to follow, and I would be happy to play with all of you.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I agree completely. I thought the game was very well played by all.

As an FYI, I am opening up the signups of this game to allow players with fewer than 10 games played. If I can't generate enough interest at that level, I may open it up to everyone rather than run an exceptionally small advanced mechanics game.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hahaha, yess!

Go pigeonking!

Double plus good for getting Wildcat's mentee voted out :)

EDIT: pigeonking, did my advice help?

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

As an FYI, I am opening up the signups of this game to allow players with fewer than 10 games played. If I can't generate enough interest at that level, I may open it up to everyone rather than run an exceptionally small advanced mechanics game.

Sound good to me! Frankly I just want to start playing again so I don't care if you open it up right now :P

Kistra on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Kistra wrote: »

Sound good to me! Frankly I just want to start playing again so I don't care if you open it up right now :P

Yeah, and it looks like we need 15 more to start?

Gonmun on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Great move: analyzing the vote leaders to connect Kistra. This is why changing votes and multiple options can be beneficial to the village and it was acted upon with excellence.

Epic fail: switching off a reasonable vote the last day onto an inactive. D:

You guys get an Infidel brand /facepalm, congrats! :lol:

pablo: Yeah, I managed to get the most experienced noobie so you didn't need any mechanics or general help. So I tried to give you tactical advice just, hope it helped.

The flaw with your gambit was that you posted pre-close the "if I die" bit. Anyone watching you would go "wait, why wouldn't he just post after vote close" and they would figure it's a gambit. And a gambit is doomed if it's known to be a gambit. :D

Overall you played well and it's a good thing we abused the self guard day 1. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, that'll teach me!

Which reminds me, I should probably switch my visible on/off status to off now, before the game starts, to allay any suspicions.

... I cannot tell you how pumped I am for game 2, now that I've had a night to sleep on it. I'm actually REALLY proud of myself. :D

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Some nice helpful mafia advice courtesy of crimsoncoyote:

"Proboards are extremely useful tools. They save wonders of PM space, and it makes discussions between 2+ people much more easy. Make sure it's locked down, and the host of the game gets an invite if you use one.

Laying low is good, but laying low and making it such that no one notices you're laying low is even better. Don't barely skirt inactivity, because someone will inevitably come by and vote for you due to it.

Defend any/everyone publicly and privately, not just your mafia buddies. If one of your mafia members dies somehow, and someone goes through vote and post history, it can sometimes be a dead giveaway. "Person X was defending Person Y when the votes really counted, and Person Y died evil, so it might be good to look at Person X."

Be helpful. To everyone. Publicly. Anywhere. People like a helpful player, but make sure it at least seems like actual help. People dislike others that appear helpful, but aren't actually helpful, and making a case to vote for such a person is not difficult.

I tend to find knowing logical fallacies useful. They can help you find flimsy reasoning for someone's vote for you (or someone else). It can take away the steam of a bandwagon, and in some cases turn it around. This only works if someone is actually using fallacies as "evidence", and not using hard fact. This is good, though, because so little in Phalla is hard fact. Playing on peoples' doubt is a good thing.

And that brings me to another thing. You will be voted for. You may even be voted for by a lot of people. Don't get too excited or flip out, especially when there's only a handful of votes on you. If you're too excited, people generally will take that as reason to vote you out even harder. Calmly use anything at your disposal (short of selling out your teammates) to try to get the votes off of you (fake reveals can be useful, but are tricky and usually hit or miss, for example).

Be mindful of your votes. Don't be afraid to vote for your mafia teammates, especially early. There have been many people killed because of late vote switching where the candidate has been mafia and the voter was reluctant because of his association to the vote winner.

That's all I've got right now. Let me know if you think of anything."

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Don't be afraid to vote for your mafia teammates, especially early.

Just a quick clarification on this. I mean "early" as in "early in a bandwagon."

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have found that the best mafia players are the ones who are completely indistinguishable from their villager persona. For a recent example, I'd look at Spectrum in the Bioshock phalla. Same caliber of voting analysis, albeit with slightly fudged results (consistent results that pointed at the mafia were conveniently left off), but the posting style and content was substantially the same as every other analytical post that Spectrum makes, and it wasn't until it was too late that we all realized we were being led to our slaughter.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have found that the best mafia players are the ones who are completely indistinguishable from their villager persona. For a recent example, I'd look at Spectrum in the Bioshock phalla. Same caliber of voting analysis, albeit with slightly fudged results (consistent results that pointed at the mafia were conveniently left off), but the posting style and content was substantially the same as every other analytical post that Spectrum makes, and it wasn't until it was too late that we all realized we were being led to our slaughter.

This is why I want to be mafia... I convienantly left off all the analysis that implicated myself, and it isn't hard to fabricate shit when you know what you are looking for.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

What? Spectrum in Bioshock was hella obviously evil. :P

And Gonmun, if Gumpy tells you to trust your feelings, don't listen to what a robot has to say about feelings. 8-)

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Step 1 for an easy, if boring mafia victory:
    Kill the talkative players and the ones known to be dangerous.

The thread is left to drift into inactive oblivion and the mafia waltzes to the prize.

(See: Okami)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    B:L wrote: »

What? Spectrum in Bioshock was hella obviously evil. :P

And Gonmun, if Gumpy tells you to trust your feelings, don't listen to what a robot has to say about feelings. 8-)

!B:L

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    well that was fun to watch.

Athenor: excellent analysis. you would have been the MVP if you would have just stuck to your guns. instead, you gave pidgeon an easy out.

Pidgeon: excellent work not taking the easy out. you played that off perfectly and let athenor do the work of moving the bandwagon off of you. for that reason, you are my MVP choice pidgeon.

i felt like the mentorship program worked well enough. i hope my mentee got enough help from me. i wanted to be more like a reference book; something you can go to when you dont have an answer. it also worked as a channel for me to vent my rage at poor network choices.

finally, if you open up the game to beyond 10 games and need players, i will sign up. i love me some complicated roles and mechanics.

psolms on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I again reiterate that I'm never gonna do that kind of shit when raiding again, where my judgment is split because I'm trying to post between every 30 seconds. My mind, at some point, should've stopped to realize Pigeon could lie about his name. But I think Anub'arak's spikes were coming at me at that moment.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Athenor wrote: »
    I again reiterate that I'm never gonna do that kind of shit when raiding again, where my judgment is split because I'm trying to post between every 30 seconds. My mind, at some point, should've stopped to realize Pigeon could lie about his name. But I think Anub'arak's spikes were coming at me at that moment.

Yeah, definitely try not to split your attention like that when it comes down to the wire. It can be killer.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

But pigeon didn't lie about his name :?:

Kistra on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

He could have pretty trivially, but didn't. What he did lie about obviously had the same effect.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Spectrum wrote: »

He could have pretty trivially, but didn't. What he did lie about obviously had the same effect.

That's why, in the posted role PMs, I had the names listed as:

*** of Sparta (for villagers)

and

*** of *** (for mafia)

All of the mafia came from places other than Sparta.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Okay, change of plans.

I do not have enough interest to run the advanced mechanics mini that I want to run with newbies alone.

And it would be discourteous of me to jump in line with another mini, when at least one other person has been waiting for an open slot to run a game of their own.

So, what I am going to do is declare this game over and let this thread die down. When the next mini slot opens up (either cj's or Burnage's) I will start a new mini based on the advanced mechanics.

In that game, I will reserve slots for all of the newbies who have currently signed up already, and then open it up to everyone else (with newbies who played in this game getting precedence over everyone else).

This will give me a chance to tighten up the balance, double-check the roles, pre-write some narration, and pretty-up the OP and role PMs.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I think this is the most fair way to do it, all things considered. Tying up a mini slot for 2+ weeks to run a second game that isn't really newbie-only is a bit selfish.

Plus, it might give some of the newbies who weren't able to play right now (Rawkking Goodguy and SimpsonsParadox) a chance to signup.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's cool man. Really, this game was quite enjoyable, and I think I'm gonna have to make playing in these something I do every couple of weeks.

I want to thank you again for letting me come in mid-way through. i honestly didn't/don't know when another newbie-phalla is/was gonna be run, and so getting the chance to jump on this one was awesome.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    @Athenor, I would welcome you back in any game I play. Keep your head about you and you'll do fine in any of the games.

Julius Caezure on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Athenor- get a recognizable avatar, so you can be a brand; like obbi

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    Athenor- get a recognizable avatar, so you can be a brand; like obbi

I mentioned it at the beginning that I didn't have one, nor know what to go with.

I used to have eggxecute, from the old PA Forums Pokerap, but when the forum changed software I lost that. Now I have no clue what to go with. I do feel like kind of an outsider.

Athenor on