As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - Release date set for January 26, 2010. 29 January in Europa.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    If we count in the Clint Eastwood Salarian and your two starting partners, that leaves us, according to that list, with 3 as of yet unmentioned party NPCs. Any takers on what it's gonna be?

Shouldn't it be 4 people we don't know about yet?

Subject Zero, Thane, and Grunt have had character videos. Tits McGee and the other guy from the demo make 5. Clint Eastwood makes 6, and there are a total of 10 slots in the roster we've seen. Is there someone else I'm forgetting?

Tali, right? Unless she's a placeholder.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    If we count in the Clint Eastwood Salarian and your two starting partners, that leaves us, according to that list, with 3 as of yet unmentioned party NPCs. Any takers on what it's gonna be?

Shouldn't it be 4 people we don't know about yet?

Subject Zero, Thane, and Grunt have had character videos. Tits McGee and the other guy from the demo make 5. Clint Eastwood makes 6, and there are a total of 10 slots in the roster we've seen. Is there someone else I'm forgetting?

Tali, right? Unless she's a placeholder.

I thought she was just sort of around, the way most of your people are supposed to pop up at some point so you can see what they've been up to. Though it's entirely possible I missed something.

werehippy on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dunno about Tali tbh, there's some weird stuff with her and the Geth data you recover, novel spoiler:
    In the novel the Quarian council don't know anything about the reapers aside from the fact Saren used one to control the Geth. So its safe to assume that Tali never returned to the migrant fleet with or without the geth data. She'd at least have told them not to try anything with the reapers.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    I dunno about Tali tbh, there's some weird stuff with her and the Geth data you recover, novel spoiler:
    In the novel the Quarian council don't know anything about the reapers aside from the fact Saren used one to control the Geth. So its safe to assume that Tali never returned to the migrant fleet with or without the geth data. She'd at least have told them not to try anything with the reapers.
    The geth data didn't have anything to do with the Reapers. It's not safe to assume anything with a book written specifically to avoid providing any 'canon' details.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The geth data didn't have anything to do with the Reapers. It's not safe to assume anything with a book written specifically to avoid providing any 'canon' details.

In fact, wasn't the whole point
    of her side quest to find information on geth that were completely free of Saren/Sovereign and their influence? I seem to recall Tali specifically making that point if you talk to her enough before you get the geth base clearing quest. The information she had wouldn't have included anything at all about the reapers, though she herself should have been able to tell the Quarian's what was going on.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It appears that BioWare has removed any official reference to the old 'up to 12 recruitable characters' bit. Somebody on the BioWare forums came up with a list of 12 possible characters but it's all just become speculation.
    1. Jacob
    2. Miranda
    3. Thane
    4. Grunt
    5. Clint Eastwood salarian
    6. Unstable biotic (Ed. Subject Zero)
    7. Tali
    8. Ashley
    9. Liara
    10. Kaidan
    11. Wrex
    12. Geth

I thought I remember BioWare suggesting 12 new characters to recruit from, plus any who might return from the first game. But that may have been speculation. It certainly seemed to suggest that there might be characters who wouldn't join depending upon who you already recruited.

But we won't know until they release more information. Personally, I think they removed the reference to '12 characters' because they had to make some design cuts and needed to cover the new setup. Whatever it is, it looks like Shepard will have a cast of ten (instead of the original six) to choose from when going on an actual mission, regardless of how many 'recruitable' types there are.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

In fact, wasn't the whole point
    of her side quest to find information on geth that were completely free of Saren/Sovereign and their influence? I seem to recall Tali specifically making that point if you talk to her enough before you get the geth base clearing quest. The information she had wouldn't have included anything at all about the reapers, though she herself should have been able to tell the Quarian's what was going on.
    Tali's 'sidequest' never shows up until after you get the data. But yes, the whole Pilgrimage thing is completely independent of Saren and His Lovable Geth.

As for Tali telling the quarian mucky-mucks about the Reapers? Well, I'd bet she would... And then we find out that all Councils everywhere simply don't believe it when they're told an amazingly fantastical story about giant, sentient ships who like to kill all life in the galaxy on a repeated cycle.

Or it's not entirely worth considering as 'an important detail'. Tali seemed to make it very clear that she'd return to her fleet once Saren is dealt with. At least, there was zero development about her after her 'sidequest' is completed to suggest otherwise.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If the lead singer of Flyleaf were a space bitch, you'd get Subject Zero.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Really excited for Subject Zero, just sayin' to balance out some of the hate here. A character archetype that Bioware hasn't done before, looks to have an interesting story(albeit a bit of a boo-hoo emo past, but they handled Kaidan well, I'm sure they can do Zero just fine,) and her romance/sex scene plot looks to be absolutely fascinating.

And the reason she's not wearing armor? She's one of the most powerful Biotics in the galaxy(I assume.) She's got no need to wear full armor if she can bounce bullets with her mind. It's one of the things that will let her act like a superpowerful biotic without necessarily breaking the game. Since there was no talk in ME1 about any way to cancel out Biotics, it stands to reason that she's safe.

So I'm pretty excited for the NPCs so far. Sooo looking forwards to future reveals. I would have liked it if Zero's had been coupled with some sweet location shots beforehand, like Grunt's was, but it still looked nice.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    GoW curbstomp on downed opponents anyone?
    What is happening to my Bioware RPGs?

:cry:

have you not read the synopsis of this game

it's a suicide mission

this is basically a sci-fi spin on the Dirty Dozen, Seven Samurai, Magnificent Seven, etc.

The kind of people you recruit for this kind of job aren't very nice

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Really excited for Subject Zero, just sayin' to balance out some of the hate here. A character archetype that Bioware hasn't done before, looks to have an interesting story(albeit a bit of a boo-hoo emo past, but they handled Kaidan well, I'm sure they can do Zero just fine,) and her romance/sex scene plot looks to be absolutely fascinating.

And the reason she's not wearing armor? She's one of the most powerful Biotics in the galaxy(I assume.) She's got no need to wear full armor if she can bounce bullets with her mind. It's one of the things that will let her act like a superpowerful biotic without necessarily breaking the game. Since there was no talk in ME1 about any way to cancel out Biotics, it stands to reason that she's safe.

So I'm pretty excited for the NPCs so far. Sooo looking forwards to future reveals. I would have liked it if Zero's had been coupled with some sweet location shots beforehand, like Grunt's was, but it still looked nice.

Actually, the Subject Zero hate/love has been pretty even. Most of the love was just in the previous thread. Now it's all doom and gloom.

Also, quads.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    But I mean.

"Some are for kills, you know, good ones. And some are for because, hey, fuck you."

No no, honey.

Fuck you.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Clint Eastwood salarian should be dubbed Harry Sallarahan.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    GoW curbstomp on downed opponents anyone?
    What is happening to my Bioware RPGs?

:cry:

have you not read the synopsis of this game

it's a suicide mission

this is basically a sci-fi spin on the Dirty Dozen, Seven Samurai, Magnificent Seven, etc.

The kind of people you recruit for this kind of job aren't very nice

It's actually a bit old to dredge that back up... But ME2 is the 'dark' second act of a three act drama. It's been a basic function of drama probably since before paper was invented. The first act sets everything up. The second act ramps up the drama against the protagonist(s). The third act resolves it. (Usually with a rousing, heroic flair.)

Whatever BioWare is doing, they're hardly doing it because it's the 'hip and marketable' thing to do.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    But I mean.

"Some are for kills, you know, good ones. And some are for because, hey, fuck you."

No no, honey.

Fuck you.

I bet this bitch has a razor lined strap on that she's raped more than one person with.

Thats the kind of crazy she comes off as.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought I remember BioWare suggesting 12 new characters to recruit from, plus any who might return from the first game. But that may have been speculation. It certainly seemed to suggest that there might be characters who wouldn't join depending upon who you already recruited.

I've had a feeling that it's going to work that way for a while now, I wouldn't be surprised at all. Of course, it's unlikely because Bioware would be putting a lot of work into companions that some people wouldn't even see(and they hate doing that,) but you never know. I'd certainly appreciate it, it would add a bit of verisimilitude to the gameworld.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, ten squad members (it looks like from the Subject Zero video).

Miranda, Jacob, Grunt, Thane, Subject Zero, Salarian Clint Eastwood, Tali. That leaves three.

I'd like to see other returning characters, though it's unlikely they'll bring back any who may have already died as full main characters (though certainly those maybes will return in some way or other if they survived).

Of the originals, three might have died, and we know we have Tali, leaving Liara and Garrus. Liara's one of the love interests (as are two of the possibly deceased) so her plot will probably be very similar to the other potential love interests if they return, which leaves Garrus, who, frankly, I'd love to see return as a team member. He could do with a little fleshing out, perhaps, but when his face is fully textured, good gosh is that one good lookin' Turian.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I like SZero just because she makes BlackDove angry

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I like SZero just because she makes BlackDove angry

Everything makes Dove angry.

Hearing him complain about something is like seeing the sun come up in the morning.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    EddieDean wrote: »
    So, ten squad members (it looks like from the Subject Zero video).

Miranda, Jacob, Grunt, Thane, Subject Zero, Salarian Clint Eastwood, Tali. That leaves three.

I'd like to see other returning characters, though it's unlikely they'll bring back any who may have already died as full main characters (though certainly those maybes will return in some way or other if they survived).

Of the originals, three might have died, and we know we have Tali, leaving Liara and Garrus. Liara's one of the love interests (as are two of the possibly deceased) so her plot will probably be very similar to the other potential love interests if they return, which leaves Garrus, who, frankly, I'd love to see return as a team member. He could do with a little fleshing out, perhaps, but when his face is fully textured, good gosh is that one good lookin' Turian.

Of the originals, two might have died.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm looking forward to seeing how Subject zero interacts with the rest of team.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Fatal3RR0R wrote: »

:winky:

Interacts with the rest of the team. Using her pelvis.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Fatal3RR0R wrote: »

Interacts with the rest of the team. Using her pelvis.

There's that too. :winky:

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    See, this is why we can't have nice things.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    By the way, Subject Zero's voice sounds like the same actor who voiced Ashley.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hmm...I would love Garrus to return just so I could team him up with her.

@Fatty: Hey, it does.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hmm...I would love Garrus to return just so I could team him up with her.

Team him up with her. Using his pelvis.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You know, suddenly Subject Zero makes total sense to me, as to why they'd put her in the game.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Juc wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Nuzak wrote: »
    gentlemen there must be a compromise

surely the curbstomp can be a renegade action, like punching the reporter, or blocking wrex on facebook

What would the paragon option be? Helping him back up and explaining why he should be good?

A pat on the shoulder and a "You did your best."
    All right, I'll admit that's pretty good.

I hate the direction ME2 and Dragon Age are going.

Don't think that's what being shown in the marketing stuff as the full extent of the game.

They're trying to sell the game to people who aren't already sold on Bioware games and showing bits like this is just one way of doing it.

Plus a lot of the other stuff is really boring to watch.
    Endless dialogue trees are like golf, some people might like to watch it, but it puts the vast majority of people asleep unless they're actually playing the game themselves.

exactly

i mean the fallout 3 trailers don't show you walking and talking for 10 minutes straight, and boy howdy did people love to assume this meant dialogue in that game was dead

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    In any given play through you can't have anymore than two dead teammates, but when we're talking about all possible playthroughs there are three people who can possibly die: Wrex, Ashley, and Kaiden. So anythe work spent on any of them will not be seen by a certain percentage of the people who import their ME1 saves.

Given bioware understandably hates putting a lot of effort into players might never see, people are using that as a quick and dirty reason to discount those three as possible returns and leave three characters from the original game that might come back with Tali and fill out the roster.

werehippy on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    But I mean.

No no, honey.

Fuck you.

I bet this bitch has a razor lined strap on that she's raped more than one person with.

Thats the kind of crazy she comes off as.

Cue post-coital cutscene with Shepard crying into his bloody bedsheets.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh hey, I just noticed something. Shepard has the cerberus logo on his uniform.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The Clint Eastwood salarian should be dubbed Harry Sallarahan.

i cannot believe you just give these kinds of ideas away

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just finished playing Mass Effect, and beside quite a few drawbacks, it was still a very enjoyable roleplay game, and I'm all excited for this sequel. Overally I really liked the setting and main storyline, which might just be the best story in any Bioware game to date.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In any given play through you can't have anymore than two dead teammates, but when we're talking about all possible playthroughs there are three people who can possibly die: Wrex, Ashley, and Kaiden. So anythe work spent on any of them will not be seen by a certain percentage of the people who import their ME1 saves.

Given bioware understandably hates putting a lot of effort into players might never see, people are using that as a quick and dirty reason to discount those three as possible returns and leave three characters from the original game that might come back with Tali and fill out the roster.

Yeah, but I mean, come on. If you killed off
    Wrex
    then ME2 should start with a dialogue window telling you that you did it wrong and must now replay the original Mass Effect before continuing.

Also a screen that says
    "You left Kaiden to die? What the fuck is wrong with you?"

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Keep hearing about this Clint Eastwood Salarian - when did he come into it? How did I miss all and any reference to him?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    he's just been mentioned by developers, no screens or anything.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well, you're half right. But none the less, we can't judge the people who made horrible choices, the same way I'm not judging you right now :)

werehippy on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, while Subject Zero looks interesting enough, no way does a cool cat like my Renegade Shepard put his life on the hands of an unhinged lunatic like that.

Now, I'm more like a Thane sort of dude. Of course if Garrus and Wrex return then he can collect dust in the Normandy as well, but out of all the new ones, he's certainly my favorite.

Can't believe how much better the graphics look though. I thought since they were going with the same engine everything would look the same. Even the dialogue seems smoother.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    he's just been mentioned by developers, no screens or anything.

Ah, cool. I was hoping for a Salarian party member in the first game, so this makes me very happy.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png