As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flashforward. New show written by writer of Nick Fury and Blade Trinity

• Options
    SponkSponk boglinus minimus Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can you summarize the plot of the book in a spoiler? I too am in the, 'it depends on where they're going with it' camp.

Sorry for the late response... customers just wouldn't stop coming into my store. Don't they know I'm doing important things on the internet?

I don't think the show will follow anything like the plot of the book, but this is the gist of it:
    The main characters Lloyd Simcoe & Theo Procopides are scientists at the CERN large hadron collider in switzerland. As they start a test to try to detect the Higgs Boson the Flashforward happens. I believe the duration of the Flashforward was the same (137 seconds), but instead of seeing 6 months into the future they see 23 years into the future (I'm sure this was shortened for length of a TV season plus production/makeup costs).

Lloyd sees himself sleeping with a woman other than his wife (fiancee at time of the FF) & Theo doesn't see anything because he was murdered shortly before the time people saw during the FF. So they both want to change the future, but Theo believes it is possible to change the outcome and Lloyd thinks it's set in stone. They're also trying to figure out why it happened. The first third of the book ends when they finally decide to re-run the experiment, but for some reason the FF is not reproduced.

The second third of the book takes place in the future around the time of the events people saw in the FF. They've learned that the future can change because people who had visions during the FF have died before they lived long enough to experience it. More importantly, a lot of technical advances have been made becauses of what people saw in the future. They also learn why the FF happened- there was a Tachyon burst at the same time as the initial experiment they ran and the combination of the two is what caused it. So they plan to run a second FF when the next Tachyon burst comes around.

The last section of the book deals with the second FF and afterwards. I forget how long it lasted, but it showed a much further glimpse of the future, so most people didn't see anything at all. Lloyd saw himself as a cyborg travelling through space a la the starchild from 2001. The MOSAIC organisation was founded by some rich guy who implanted people's memories into robotic bodies so they could live forever and explore the universe. He chose only the smartest people in the world for the program & Lloyd was chosen because he won a Nobel prize. However, the book ends with Lloyd turning the guy down because he didn't want to live forever if he couldn't spend it with his wife (lady he saw himself sleeping with in his original flash). The ending was quite lame.

So yeah, already the TV show is completely different. Instead of physicists and sub atomic particles causing the FF, we have Jack Bauer jr chasing after some shadowy organization behind it all.

Sponk on
    LIVE ID: sponk81
    wii code: 8041-7562-5268-4264
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mantis23 wrote: »
    I liked the first episode but can't help but wonder where they are going to go with it. Especially if it gets a second season. With the flash forward date being so soon it seems like they will paint themselves into a corner.

Interesting note. The date that they flash forward to is a Thursday night and there will be a "special episode" of flash forward on that date according to the producers. Yet it will not be the finale...

They've already stated that the season finale will not be April 29, 2010.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This looks pretty decent. Show itself was pretty interesting, but the stupid "REMEMBER THE KANGAROO, IT MIGHT BE IMPORTANT!" shit before commercial breaks was retarded.

Interesting premise, but I'm not sure how you can get a whole show out of it without just becoming generic sit-com/24 knockoff/drama with a gimic.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I thought it was pretty bad when Harold looks at the other FBI guy and says

"Go find your wife"

Followed immediately by him staring into the camera while running in slow motion to dramatic music. That was silly to the point of parody. I'm kind of intrigued by the concept though despite a couple really bad parts. It could really go either way but I'll keep watching for now.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New show written by co-writer of the Dark Knight

Hm, is that so? Well it's got a pretty weak premise. But maybe it'll be better than it sounds
    Created by Brannon Braga, of Star Treks Voyager and Enterprise infamy?

Pass.

Or not

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I only watched a third of it; I should watch the rest, but I'm pretty sure this is going to be one of those Oracle at Delphi stories. Oh no, I accidently caused the very event I was trying to prevent!

Two comments on that topic:
    1) I wonder what the draw to these are. I mean, we as a society still like them, but at their inception, they had a much more religious meaning.
    2) What did those poor guys that died ten seconds after the flashforward see? Oh my God, I 'm trapped in a car underneath an unexploded tanker, and my wife is bleeding to death and OH GOD FIRE--oh, I just blacked out; it was just a dream. Where am I? Oh I'm trapped in a car and my wife is--that tanker is going to--burning burning everywhere!

piL on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I haven't watched much of this yet, but it already feels very stilted merely by being a product of network television.

Being on the Big 4 is basically a handicap these days. Your budget is too big to allow for smaller viewership, and your concepts can't be too smart or edgy for the Joe Sixpacks of the world. It's the TV equivalent of being a Summer blockbuster, and the good ones are the rare exception.

Right now, all the best, brightest, most-cutting edge and risk-taking shows are on small cable outlets and premium channels. Thank God NBC never actually acted on putting BSG in their line-up.

Atomika on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    None of the flash forwards revealed anything interesting, so I don't care to seee how events unfold.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the show would actually be good as either a single season, or two seasons, but I know they're going to try and stretch it into more than that, and it's just going to get boring and repetitive.
    This right here. There are far too few mini-series, it's really an excellent concept. Although maybe not from a network exec viewpoint though, I dunno.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Did anyone happen to catch the billboard in the first few minutes of the show? It totally was an Oceanic advertisement.

omega71 on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I sure hope they don't go with the "You can't prevent the future." angle. He could change it right now by burning that bracelet.

I also had a thought along the lines that they didn't flash forward, they all had their minds from the future sent back from even farther in the future. Time travel gets wacky. Guess I'll read the book to see how that played out.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Panda4You wrote: »
    I think the show would actually be good as either a single season, or two seasons, but I know they're going to try and stretch it into more than that, and it's just going to get boring and repetitive.
    This right here. There are far too few mini-series, it's really an excellent concept. Although maybe not from a network exec viewpoint though, I dunno.

The sensible thing would be to wrap the main arc up in one or two seasons. For future seasons, repeat the same arc (after all the point of the show is about knowing the future), but tell it from the perspective of a different group. The current cast could come in for the occasional cross-over.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I sure hope they don't go with the "You can't prevent the future." angle. He could change it right now by burning that bracelet.

On the other hand, it seems the flashforward caused some of the events they saw in the flashforward, which would imply they are already in a stable time loop.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »

On the other hand, it seems the flashforward caused some of the events they saw in the flashforward, which would imply they are already in a stable time loop.

Or the flashforward was sent from the future to bring about an alternate future past.

enc0re on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There is this scene where Olivia was in the hospital talking about the kid that was brought in.

The place was empty. Kid had a room all for himself and the care of several surgeons. From the earlier scenes, I was expecting more chaos and death. There seemed to be dead bodies all over the place and kangaroos roaming the city. It's like they ignored this part of the story after they milked it for the shock value, in favor of the emotional and spiritual life of the characters. And lots of philosophical rambling.

Honestly, an event like this, which caused thousands of deaths in every single city and town in the world, which killed a significant fraction of humanity, would cause massive global panic and hysteria. It would almost be a breakdown of society. Driving through urban areas would be impossible, (and that alone would cause a huge amount of problems.) Buildings would be on fire. Stuff like that.

And then there's the knowledge everyone gained. This would fundamentally change society. For one thing, a great many people would know they'll be dead in six months.

/rant

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, everything you just described is way more interesting than love triangle bullshit and hand-wringing over fate.

That said, didn't the news reports and the little girl allude to a fair amount of forthcoming unrest?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Honestly I think the amount of devastation is hugely overestimated. It happened at LA at 11 AM? 75% of people in say, New York are just sitting at work, the only plane crashes would have been ones which were landing. Most people would just have fallen asleep at their desks or just sat passed out in traffic for 2 minutes. People in say China are all asleep so wouldn't even have known.

Beyond that, if they 'can't change the future' I stop watching instantly. Its ridiculous, he could change the future immediately. And, since they didn't see anything interesting the future they saw would be completely irrelevant. Honestly it seems that the whole plot is pointless.

The characters were good, and the shots were interesting, but I'm pretty sure they are just going to be stupid.

edit - PLANES DO NOT CRASH FOR NO REASON. They would just glide along in the air, and then their pilots would wake up. Small light aircraft might crash, since they don't have autopilots, but they don't just buzz about over downtown areas.

edit2 - The shot of London with the buildings all on fire is completely ABSURD. Where are all these fires coming from!

edit3 - Clearly if everyone blacked out and experienced that time in the future, then when that time in the future arrived most people would spend that minute thinking about the wierd thing that happened. And every newspaper would be reporting "This is the day we all flashed forward to"

edit4 - Any rational person would incinerate that friendship bracelet immediately. And thousands of people would all be busy destroying the things they had seen in the future instantly in order to prevent it happening. Yes, I get the feeling this is going to be far too annoyingly stupid to watch

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Um...If you fall asleep, generally you'll fall one way or the other. If you fall forward, and slump onto the plane's controls, you're going to send it into a tail spin/nose dive. I think you're trying to make it annoyingly stupid to watch.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You'd have to be pretty cold-hearted to incinerate your daughter's friendship bracelet.

I'd get a different haircut and a neck tattoo, though. Take that, future!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Also, who fainted while they were walking their kangaroo?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Um...If you fall asleep, generally you'll fall one way or the other. If you fall forward, and slump onto the plane's controls, you're going to send it into a tail spin/nose dive. I think you're trying to make it annoyingly stupid to watch.

I don't think modern auto-pilots will let you do that.

Also, if you are sitting down you probably won't fall forward unless you are pushed.

Yeah, on second though there is some serious Fridge Logic going on with the actual consequences of this event.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sucks if you were riding a motorcycle that day.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I don't think modern auto-pilots will let you do that.

Also, if you are sitting down you probably won't fall forward unless you are pushed.

Yeah, on second though there is some serious Fridge Logic going on with the actual consequences of this event.

Yup, pass out in a small plane, and you will slump in your seat. Where you will be held firmly and upright by your three point seatbelt. Pass out at the controls of a large plane and you will slump in your seat, where you will be held firmly and upright by your seat belt. Even if for some obscure reason you are piloting a large plane, and are only wearing a lap belt then for 99% of the time the autopilot is on, and won't allow you to just bump into the controls.

Helicopters would probably crash, but how many helicopters are over your head right now?

Straight sections of highway would have pretty much nothing happen but a few low speed fender benders. If you take all your hands off the controls of a modern car and let your feet go limp, it would just coast to a stop. You might bump into people, but the loss of speed would be rapid and uniform across 99% of vehicles. On a turn you would have some problems, but again I think loss of speed would be enough to prevent serious accidents. There would be accidents at crossings of course, where out of control vehicles sped into collapsed peds.

Most people worldwide are asleep or at their desks. I would think the MASSIVE majority of actual casualties would be people who were on stairs. Even those surfers, most would be on top of their boards paddling out. If you just totally slump on a board where you were lying down, you won't fall off. Heck, I think there would be numerous countries that wouldn't even notice. THey would have either been asleep in the flash, or flashed forward to a time when they were asleep.

Like you say, fridge logic to the extreme. And if my friend had not had a vision of the future and thought that meant he was destined to die, I would absolutely show him the future was not set in stone by destroying the friendship bracelet in front of him. If my daughter made me another, I would get a tattoo on the same hand where I would clearly be able to see it.

Honestly, I would think that the people who would benefit most strongly from the event would be tattoo parlors!

"Didn't appreciate your flash forward? Change the future today by getting a tattoo on an area of skin you saw! With our new PERMAINK technology, even if you go for tattoo removal the scar will remain long past six months."

tbloxham on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you passed out going down the highway, I'm thinking your feet wouldn't go anywhere off the pedals, and you'd go careening off the street or into other cars :| I don't see highway collisions being that improbable.

Damnit all of you are RUINING THIS FOR ME. :( I want to enjoy this show.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MH79 wrote: »
    If you passed out going down the highway, I'm thinking your feet wouldn't go anywhere off the pedals, and you'd go careening off the street or into other cars :| I don't see highway collisions being that improbable.

Let your feet go limp on the pedals of a car. The accelerator pushes your foot back off the gas, its how they are designed. Your hands would definately just fall off the wheel. You'd only be in danger if you were turning, or in a situation where you needed breaking. Furthermore, serious accidents require large speed discrepancies, if everyone on the highway simply began slowing down at the same speed, then the accidents would be not so serious.

edit - remember this happens to everyone at the same time. This means it becomes a collective motion, which means the danger is highly minimized.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »

Let your feet go limp on the pedals of a car. The accelerator pushes your foot back off the gas, its how they are designed. Your hands would definately just fall off the wheel. You'd only be in danger if you were turning, or in a situation where you needed breaking. Furthermore, serious accidents require large speed discrepancies, if everyone on the highway simply began slowing down at the same speed, then the accidents would be not so serious.

edit - remember this happens to everyone at the same time. This means it becomes a collective motion, which means the danger is highly minimized.

Well, if some people have cruise control and other don't, that could be a problem.

But yeah, if you just stop control a car, it will basically slow down in a straight line. Which might lead to crashes in a lot of cases, especially in urban areas, but not the cars flipped upside down, cars on top of cars, fire everywhere way the show did it.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Well, if some people have cruise control and other don't, that could be a problem.

But yeah, if you just stop control a car, it will basically slow down in a straight line. Which might lead to crashes in a lot of cases, especially in urban areas, but not the cars flipped upside down, cars on top of cars, fire everywhere way the show did it.

Yeah, the actual thing you'd see would be a massive fender bender accident everywhere from cars hitting each other at like 10 MPH.

edit - And cruise control on cars shuts off after a bump for the most part, so you'd get a crash between a car doing 65 and one doing 55 and slowing down. Neither would flip and burst into flame.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Goyer made Blade cool and has a lot of comic book cred. That's pretty much all I need to know.

Blade was always cool.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know if anyone else noticed but there our a few ads for Oceanic Airlines (from Lost) in the show. It's also an ABC show, and for some reason I feel like what happened in Lost occurred in 2010. Lost also ends around the time of April 29, 2010(Assuming they go with 25 episodes from the beginning of January).

My buddy and I FREAKED THE FUCK OUT when they showed Charlie(Dominic something, the guy who pulls off his mask in the upcoming preview, but according to imdb he plays a character named Simon) showed up. Apparently there are 2 other actors from Lost in the show all of three have
    died
    in lost.)

We are convinced that the two shows are intertwined being on ABC, somehow.

Anyone catch any of this?

zychi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    zychi wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone else noticed but there our a few ads for Oceanic Airlines (from Lost) in the show. It's also an ABC show, and for some reason I feel like what happened in Lost occurred in 2010. Lost also ends around the time of April 29, 2010(Assuming they go with 25 episodes from the beginning of January).

My buddy and I FREAKED THE FUCK OUT when they showed Charlie(Dominic something, the guy who pulls off his mask in the upcoming preview, but according to imdb he plays a character named Simon) Also apparently there are 2 other actors from Lost in the show all of three have
    died
    in lost.)

We are convinced that the two shows are intertwined being on ABC, somehow.

Anyone catch any of this?

God I hope it's not tied to lost in any way beyond simple amusement factor, then it can't be anything but a disaster since it will eventually demand I know things about lost.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

God I hope it's not tied to lost in any way beyond simple amusement factor, then it can't be anything but a disaster since it will eventually demand I know things about lost.

You should watch Lost anyways, it's soooo good.

Back on topic, I loved the pilot, and will be DVR'ing until I can't stand the show anymore(see: heroes)

zychi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Yeah, the actual thing you'd see would be a massive fender bender accident everywhere from cars hitting each other at like 10 MPH.

edit - And cruise control on cars shuts off after a bump for the most part, so you'd get a crash between a car doing 65 and one doing 55 and slowing down. Neither would flip and burst into flame.

How long were they unconscious for? IIRC, it was like 5 minutes or something?

I think there would probably be a significant minority of cases where cars going 65 on cruise control slammed into something that had slowed to a stop or almost a stop.

But the opening scene with like people bleeding all over the place and some guy on fire and shit was completely overblown.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If I'm in a car on the highway going 80 or so. And I pass out and lean on the car wheel veering into oncoming traffic that's also passed out/slowing down that still wouldn't be enough slowdown to stop a probably horrible accident.. If I hit a car/truck before it has slowed down enough I'm probably going to die. The cars also probably going to be fucked up and on fire if not flipped, depending on the size of the vehicle.. If I hit a semi or something of that nature I could see this happening. If the impact occurred quickly after everyone lost consciousness.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I think there would probably be a significant minority of cases where cars going 65 on cruise control slammed into something that had slowed to a stop or almost a stop.

But the opening scene with like people bleeding all over the place and some guy on fire and shit was completely overblown.

2 minutes 17 seconds. So I guess you would get a few 65 MPH with 0 MPH collisions from cars on cruise control.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I think they mentioned 2 minutes 17 seconds.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If I'm in a car on the highway going 80 or so. And I pass out and lean on the car wheel veering into oncoming traffic that's also passed out/slowing down that still wouldn't be enough slowdown to stop a probably horrible accident.. If I hit a car/truck before it has slowed down enough I'm probably going to die. The cars also probably going to be fucked up and on fire if not flipped, depending on the size of the vehicle.. If I hit a semi or something of that nature I could see this happening. If the impact occurred quickly after everyone lost consciousness.

You won't lean on the wheel, your seatbelt will catch you if you slump forward rapidly. 95% of cars on the road are currently going in straight lines not changing lanes. The 5% of the remainder would be far more likely to hit the central reservation etc.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Why are you leaning on the car wheel?

The seatbelt will keep you body straight in the chair. Your arms will fall to your sides. Your foot will be pushed up off the accelerator/brake assuming it was on either one.

The car will simply slow down in a straight line. It will maybe hit something before it stops, deploying the airbag and so forth and possibly causing injury to anyone in it (whiplash, broken bones, that kind of thing). If you are going at urban speeds, 45 and underish, I am pretty certain that there is no way the car has enough kinetic energy to flip. Even if you are going fast enough, a straight on collision is not going to cause a flip. You would need to hit something in such a way as to create significant upwards motion on only one part of the car.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm just saying I worked at a place off a highway once where an old guy fell asleep at the wheel while exiting the highway and plowed into the store.. thankfully it was early so no one was there to get injured. I also have personal experience when I blacked out at the wheel once and woke up with a telephone pole snapped in half with the top of it laying on my car caving the roof in. So no, you don't just stop in a straight line. At least not every time.

But yeah.. the amount of crazyness in the show is impossible and is obviously there to make the plot more interesting.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm just saying I worked at a place off a highway once where an old guy fell asleep at the wheel while exiting the highway and plowed into the store.. thankfully it was early so no one was there to get injured. I also have personal experience when I blacked out at the wheel once and woke up with a telephone pole snapped in half with the top of it laying on my car caving the roof in. So no, you don't just stop in a straight line. At least not every time.

But yeah.. the amount of crazyness in the show is impossible and is obviously there to make the plot more interesting.

I think I would have used a shot of a group of people climbing stairs, people climbing big sets of steps would have gotten totally fucked up. Show a group of people walking up to the Lincoln memorial or something, or someone leaning over a balcony. Or even a plane in the process of landing. Taxiing planes might be dangerous too, show someone at LAX, then have them wake up as a 747 ploughs into the terminal at like 5 miles per hour.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I think I would have used a shot of a group of people climbing stairs, people climbing big sets of steps would have gotten totally fucked up. Show a group of people walking up to the Lincoln memorial or something, or someone leaning over a balcony. Or even a plane in the process of landing. Taxiing planes might be dangerous too, show someone at LAX, then have them wake up as a 747 ploughs into the terminal at like 5 miles per hour.

Most modern autopilots also land planes too actually.

But a 747 plowing through a departure lobby would be cool.

HamHamJ on