Options

Blasphemy Day - September 30th. What are you doing to celebrate it?

• Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm praying at you guys so hard

Are you physically inside your closet? There's better reception.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Seriously. Believe whatever the fuck you want to beleive. Just don't try to force it on people who want nothing to do with it.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Seriously. Believe whatever the fuck you want to beleive. Just don't try to force it on people who want nothing to do with it.

The shitty thing about beliefs is that they don't work that way. There is no mythical 'hey gay people are evil sinners on an express elevator to hell, oh what’s this a gay marriage bill? Sure god bless you Adam and Steve – I’m giving it my support'.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Leitner wrote: »

The shitty thing about beliefs is that they don't work that way. There is no mythical 'hey gay people are evil sinners on an express elevator to hell, oh what’s this a gay marriage bill? Sure god bless you Adam and Steve – I’m giving it my support'.

Man the worst is when they attempt to defend their intolerlance and ignorance with their beliefs. In Religulous, there is a part where they go over clips of anti-homosexual protests, and one shot in particular sends me into a rage. A young woman holding a big sign that says "GOD HATES FAGS" quite calmly stating that *she* doesn't hate them, but God does. If only I could punch her in the face.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am celebrating Blasphemy Day by applying for a videographer job at a local church.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

What about people like me who believe that the influence of church should stay within its walls, and the church has no right to pass moral judgment on nonmembers?

I don't protest at abortion clinics. I think gay marriage should be legal. Etc.

So... beliefs can work that way?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to celebrate Blasphemy Day by arguing on behalf of someone that the flood due to a cracked foundation in their apartment was not an "Act of God" because God doesn't exist, and therefore it wasn't his fault their basement flooded.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

What about people like me who believe that the influence of church should stay within its walls, and the church has no right to pass moral judgment on nonmembers?

Yes, but you are the exception rather than the rule.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If I had my way, the crucifixion section would be right next to the science-fiction section in all bookstores.

Flay on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah, thinking less of gay people or whatever is going to in some way affect how you think. It might (hell likely will) be in a subtler way, for example subconsciously affecting how you act with them. Maybe not even in a directly bad fashion, but none the less holding a belief is going to change you be it in a very minute way. Let’s not pretend this isn’t the case. Me? I’d rather challenge those subtle influences and have them discarded then go ‘hey believe what you want without criticism as long as I don’t see you do/say something directly bad with influence on the external world’.

Leitner on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm praying at you guys so hard
    Too bad I cast PrayReflect.

Pro-tip: many atheists know this spell. To successfully pray at atheists, it is best to cast PrayReflect on yourself, and then pray at yourself. However, you must be standing directly across from the atheist. This is also ineffective against atheists equipped with PrayNull or PrayAbsorb artifacts.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Who did you vote for, and what were some of your primary reasons for voting that way?

Qingu on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah, thinking less of gay people or whatever is going to in some way affect how you think. It might (hell likely will) be in a subtler way, for example subconsciously affecting how you act with them. Maybe not even in a directly bad fashion, but none the less holding a belief is going to change you be it in a very minute way. Let’s not pretend this isn’t the case. Me? I’d rather challenge those subtle influences and have them discarded then go ‘hey believe what you want without criticism as long as I don’t see you do/say something directly bad with influence on the external world’.

I may be misinterpreting you, but are you suggesting that all Christians have at least some latent hatred of homosexuals? If so, I'd have to take issue with that. Some of my best friends in the world are gay.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Judgement wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    user wrote: »
    I blasphemed the holy spirit quite some time ago. So I'm not adverse to marking this occasion. What can I do to ensure I'm disenfranchised from some other religions?

You know, this is a good question. What are some unforgivable trespasses in other religions? Do they even have those?

Are we talking about aside from abrahamic relgions here or what.

Whatever can get you permanently dammed/barred/etc in any religion.

Jerk off in front of the Pope. That'll do it.

Or you'll be made a Cardinal. It really depends on the Pope in question.

Plus I think it only counts if you manage to hit to Pope at the end.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I may be misinterpreting you, but are you suggesting that all Christians have at least some latent hatred of homosexuals? If so, I'd have to take issue with that. Some of my best friends in the world are gay.

Not taking a side, but "I have black friends" defense never works.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Because you hate the sin, not the sinner.

Well, some people would take issue to the characterization of their natural feelings and loving relationships with other human beings as a sin. Maybe your best friends don't care though, who knows.
    Also, Josh, do you realize that "some of my best friends are X!" is sort of this cliched joke defense against accusations of bigotry? It is weird to see someone actually make this argument in earnest.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

Who did you vote for, and what were some of your primary reasons for voting that way?

I voted for Obama. I'm in class but I'll elaborate afterwards.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aretha-Franklin-The-Blues-Brothers.10.jpg

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My contribution for International Blasphemy Day is a haiku:

How can I believe
    In a world without sex bots?
    Sad, sad, sad, sad world.

UnreadableHulk on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This day, along with "talk like a pirate day" is just proof that you can literally make a day out of anything you want.

I declare tomorrow, October 1st, national Kriss Kross day. I will declare that all citizens, on this day, wear their clothes backwards and they are encouraged to "jump jump".

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    My contribution for International Blasphemy Day is a haiku:

How can I believe
    In a world without sex bots?
    Sad, sad, sad, sad world.

Best haiku ever.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    IMO you can be a Christian and still believe that the Bible is a) open to interpretation and b) needs to be read and understood in a specific historical and cultural context. And that Paul was a misogynist, homophobic troll.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    October 21st is the International Day of the Nacho.

Also my wedding anniversary!

The only people with better anniversaries got married on March 15th.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't really get what this day is about, even after reading the link in the opening post. It's a day where you insult religions and then go "ima doin' this for free speech"? Couldn't you do that any day?

reVerse on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thirith wrote: »
    IMO you can be a Christian and still believe that the Bible is a) open to interpretation and b) needs to be read and understood in a specific historical and cultural context. And that Paul was a misogynist, homophobic troll.

Qingu signal is lit

Arch on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    reVerse wrote: »
    I don't really get what this day is about, even after reading the link in the opening post. It's a day where you insult religions and then go "ima doin' this for free speech"? Couldn't you do that any day?

This is an international day, and there are plenty of places in the world where you don't have free speech. So, not necessarily.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    blasphemy.jpg

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Nerds (March 14th) and stoners (April 20th) would disagree

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

This is an international day, and there are plenty of places in the world where you don't have free speech. So, not necessarily.

Well, wouldn't the people who partake in this day in such places be arrested, or worse?

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Pfft, nerds don't get married, and stoners are too stoned to even remember it's their anniversary in the first place.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Arch wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »

Qingu signal is lit
    Arch, explain it to him please. :)

@josh, perhaps I am too hasty in judging you, Obama-voter. But there must be some way that your religious beliefs inform your actions, actions that affect other people. I have trouble imagining that your beliefs exist in a vacuum. In fact, I tend to define "belief" as "something which informs action."

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Pfft, nerds don't get married, and stoners are too stoned to even remember it's their anniversary in the first place.

On the contrary, nerds will marry other nerds that they meet from their WoW guild and celebrate their anniversary by sharing loot.

Stoners will always remember 420; and since they were just planning on getting baked on that day anyways, they'll give each other a pound of gank and smoke the day away.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arch, explain it to him please. :)
    Please do. :)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited September 2009

On the contrary, nerds will marry other nerds that they meet from their WoW guild and celebrate their anniversary by sharing loot.

Stoners will always remember 420; and since they were just planning on getting baked on that day anyways, they'll give each other a pound of gank and smoke the day away.

What is March 15th, anyways?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Isn't March 15th the ides of March or someshit? 3/14 is pi day (as in 3.14). I'm not into math so much, but I'll gladly eat a pie on that day.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Shit. I'm a retard. March 17th. This is what happens when you drink...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

And you were saying stoners would forget their anniversary? =P

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

And you were saying stoners would forget their anniversary? =P
    Actually March 17th is my parent's anniversary, and I was born on March 19th, so this may explain a lot...

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sadly if I were to celebrate this occasion I could be fined a great deal of money :(

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sadly if I were to celebrate this occasion I could be fined a great deal of money :(
    Blaspheme against the ancient Greek gods.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png