As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - The Why No Future Support Thread

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Maskirovka wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    most of the community was already on ArmA instead. Every other post isn't that the game's going to be bad, it's largely just going to be different from the style of game that the ArmA series is (or heck, even the original game if we're looking at the dev videos).

yes, so if most of the community is happy with ArmA....and this game is going to be different than ArmA, why are people still making posts comparing the two games?

For the same reason that people compared Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3, or All-Pro Football 2k8 and Madden 08, or any other two games about essentially the same fucking thing?

Let's take it a step further and remember that the original Operation Flashpoint was developed by BIS, who went on to develop ArmA 1 and 2, which are essentially the same games as OFP with shinier graphics. So it isn't too much of a stretch to look at the game that is going to be coming out and the game that is out now.

And if that tether exists in all co-op modes I can pretty much guarantee I won't be buying it. What's the point if I can't make a mission involving more than one fireteam with playable units?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm hoping it will be good. I don't expect Operation Flashpoint, but what I see in the videos I like. I'm especially looking forward to this if it's coming out for the PS3. My computer can't run squat and the PS3 has free multiplayer. Wait, does the PS3 have voice chat like the 360?

rayofash on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    most of the community was already on ArmA instead. Every other post isn't that the game's going to be bad, it's largely just going to be different from the style of game that the ArmA series is (or heck, even the original game if we're looking at the dev videos).

yes, so if most of the community is happy with ArmA....and this game is going to be different than ArmA, why are people still making posts comparing the two games?

For the same reason that people compared Rock Band and Guitar Hero 3, or All-Pro Football 2k8 and Madden 08, or any other two games about essentially the same fucking thing?

Let's take it a step further and remember that the original Operation Flashpoint was developed by BIS, who went on to develop ArmA 1 and 2, which are essentially the same games as OFP with shinier graphics. So it isn't too much of a stretch to look at the game that is going to be coming out and the game that is out now.

And if that tether exists in all co-op modes I can pretty much guarantee I won't be buying it. What's the point if I can't make a mission involving more than one fireteam with playable units?

I think the point was, that Operation Flashpoint 2 is more like Ghost Recon, rather than Operation Flashpoint/ARMA, so there's not much point comparing them, even if they superficially might look similar. E.g. Modern Warfare/Crysis, or Singstar/Guitar Hero

Rook on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't think we can compare them until it's out and we've actually played it.

rayofash on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I never played the origional OFP so I'll probably enjoy this game more than others.
    It's a military "sim" FPS, I'll love it probably.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rook wrote: »

I think the point was, that Operation Flashpoint 2 is more like Ghost Recon, rather than Operation Flashpoint/ARMA, so there's not much point comparing them, even if they superficially might look similar. E.g. Modern Warfare/Crysis, or Singstar/Guitar Hero

How do you not compare them? ArmA is an updated version of OF1. OF2 is only a sequel by name, with significant deviations to gameplay and a completely different engine. By retaining the name, though, the game is set up for comparison against OF1 and the ArmA series.

The reasons I brought up the Bohemia situation is because Sheep asked "why no hype?" and there are posts like the following:
    I quite liked the first Operation Flashpoint, thanks for making me aware of the sequel.

There are going to be people unaware that OF2 is not a true sequel to OF1. If they are looking for the true sequel, then they should look to the ArmA series.

If they are still interested in this game, then I hope it suits them. There's no hate from me, its just not a game for me. Maybe it will change my mind upon release.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you create a coop mission in the editor, there is no tether. You will be restricted by the playable area that was defined in the creation process.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I quite liked the first Operation Flashpoint, thanks for making me aware of the sequel.

There are going to be people unaware that OF2 is not a true sequel to OF1. If they are looking for the true sequel, then they should look to the ArmA series.

If they are still interested in this game, then I hope it suits them. There's no hate from me, its just not a game for me. Maybe it will change my mind upon release.

Oh, I do know that the original developers went on to do the ArmA series. It's just that I heard their games are a buggy mess (no indicator for the quality), and the pre-order for Flashpoint 2 costs the same as ArmA 2 here, which is why I'll be getting this first. By the time I'm finished with this game, ArmA 2 should be even cheaper to get and less buggy.

And on that tether issue, I'm sure someone will find a way to mod this.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So the game is good? SWEET! I guess I will preorder this at GS later today. Man, Fall is a bad-ass time for games.
    This, Modern Warfare, Assassin's Creed, Brutal Legends, Dragon Age!
    OH GOD! I'll be playing these until the Spring!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    275m sucks because i can snipe with a good sniper rifle at 700m.

sniping3.jpg

I staged this screenshot to show how the rangefinder works, but that's a shot at 800 meters.

I have one from a mission where I take a shot at 1 km. :winky:

(random nerd note: that scope uses the 1.5/0.5 civilian rangefinder, but it's actually zeroed for a military 1.7 rangefinder scale.)

I don't get the relation between how far you can snipe enemies and how far you can get from your coop buddy. I don't like the idea of a tether, but it's not like 275m is a couple of feet. It's probably bigger than several games levels.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Katana-srKatana-sr Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If the coop/singleplayer campaign is designed well, it won't matter. The streaming you can use if you tether the players will probably make the missions more awesome than any long-range sniper/machine gun support could.

Plus, one of the first missions I create via the editor will be a special ops style raid on a base where a sniper team supports some guys trying to blow up some stuff.

If this really is polished as the reviews say and the a.i. is that good, this game will rock. I don't mind technical restrictions because the game is co-developed for consoles if that means it will be largely bug-free.

Katana-sr on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Basticle wrote: »
    If you create a coop mission in the editor, there is no tether. You will be restricted by the playable area that was defined in the creation process.

This changes everything.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Basticle wrote: »

This changes everything.

Any chance this is true for console versions as well?

Yall on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I would imagine it would be since this release is seemingly specifically tailored for consoles.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    I would imagine it would be since this release is seemingly specifically tailored for consoles.

I would say its the opposite. The devs have repeatedly said they're not dumbing down a pc game, they're trying to make a pc game that also works on a console

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't get the relation between how far you can snipe enemies and how far you can get from your coop buddy. I don't like the idea of a tether, but it's not like 275m is a couple of feet. It's probably bigger than several games levels.
    If this were an issue, it's because of the following: in co-op mode you may want to have one player as a sniper, watching over the others from a distance and picking off enemies to protect them. If you can't watch your buddies from a few hundred metres away, there's not much point in having a sniper on the team.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Being on a console doesn't necessarily denote being "dumbed down".

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I guess the question is: is there a mission editor on the console version?

Yall on
  • Options
    MaskirovkaMaskirovka Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    99% sure there's no editor for console.

Maskirovka on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This game is $30 on gogamer.com for the pc version. I may bite but I'm still not sure how it will play and if I'll have fun with it.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I love GoGamer but I'm getting this day 1 and the version you linked is the UK version (not that theres anything wrong with that, I buy imported versions from GG all the time) which has a release date of the 9th instead of the 6th, plus you'd have to wait like a week for shipping.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    10 min video...seems to be someone just firing up the game for the first time. About 3/4 of it is gameplay.

http://www.insidegamer.nl/pc/operationflashpointdragonrising/videos/12147

ok maybe this is old...I dunno I'd never seen it before and I've watched a million vids for this game.

Maskirovka on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So, apologies for the bump, but this JUST got released on steam tonight. Pre-loads start at midnight...unlocks in 15 hours, so 2-3pm Eastern tomorrow. Enjoy!

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/12830/

Maskirovka on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    After bitching bout how Dragon Rising isn't Modern Warfare, IGN gave the game an 8.

Sheep on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well after reading and viewing nothing on this game on a complete and utter media blackout, looks like I'll be picking it up :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This gonna be on shelves tomorrow or Thurs?

I'm anxious to hear any impressions from those of you who grab it early (or at all).

Yall on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are we still getting this on the 360? I know a little while back that seemed to be the case. I definitely want to get the one that has the most PA'ers playing, after all.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    Are we still getting this on the 360? I know a little while back that seemed to be the case. I definitely want to get the one that has the most PA'ers playing, after all.

I'm gamefly-ing it, so I'm getting the 360 version.

In fact GF shows that it is available now, but is 'low'. It's the only game in my queue, so hopefully it will ship soon.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hmmm.

I've had it on my GameFly list for a while, so I better get a copy. :P

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So here's the beef. i had a surprise auto insurnce payment yesterday and now I'm broke like a chump.
    I'm trading in a bunch of games to get this one.

Now here's my question. Is the game actually out today, or is it shipping today?
    I'd like to know without having to drive back and forth between work / my house / futureshop or Ebgames on a 1/4 tank of gas that needs to last me until thursday in a 33 year old car.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Hmmm.

I've had it on my GameFly list for a while, so I better get a copy. :P

Me too.

Even if it is super popular on day 1 though, I expect a high rate of returns as this will likely be too hardcore for many console kids. So even if we don't snag a copy this week, I'm betting next week we will.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »
    So here's the beef. i had a surprise auto insurnce payment yesterday and now I'm broke like a chump.

Now here's my question. Is the game actually out today, or is it shipping today?
    I'd like to know without having to drive back and forth between work / my house / futureshop or Ebgames on a 1/4 tank of gas that needs to last me until thursday in a 33 year old car.

Call them first?

Yall on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yall wrote: »

Call them first?

Fuck you and your common fucking sense.
    Perhaps I'll do that.

But I'll do it angrily.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yall wrote: »

Call them first?

Fuck you and your common fucking sense.
    Perhaps I'll do that.

But I'll do it angrily.

:mrgreen:

Yall on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Now available for purchase and immediate download via Steam for $39.99. I'm downloading now.

Reading the official forums, it seems like online play won't require a cdkey...nor is there any cheat protection (not even PunkBuster). So, if you buy for PC, make sure you have people you know to play with. I'm sure there will be hax at some point.

Maskirovka on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So I called 5 EB games, one picked up. They said it's not out until thursday. So I called futureshop just for kicks and they said it was supposed to be out three days ago. I'm not sure which store I dislike more now.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Now available for purchase and immediate download via Steam for $39.99. I'm downloading now.

Reading the official forums, it seems like online play won't require a cdkey...nor is there any cheat protection (not even PunkBuster). So, if you buy for PC, make sure you have people you know to play with. I'm sure there will be hax at some point.

Does this mean people who pirate it will be able to play it online? This seems rather foolish.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    http://www.simhq.com/_land3/land_136a.html

Magnum: Will there be a dedicated server capability for the PC?

Tim: The game will not ship with dedicated servers however it is something we're considering support at a later date.

fffffffffffffor fucks sake

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png