Options

Game Reviews- who do you trust?

• Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like a few reviewers at IGN and 1UP/EGM, but I wouldn't say there's any one site or magazine I trust completely. Lately I've found myself going more on what the forumers say around the net (mostly here though), and watching videos of games and stuff.

bruin on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You guys are my source. I read etoychest, gameinformer occasionally (they sometimes annoy me), 1up, and I'll occasionally go to metacritic. In the end I like to hear what you guys have to say, this forum is like the ultimate review: you answer specific questions, no on here is afraid to say something sucks ass even if it's some hugely anticipated game, and occasionally there's a game that gets "eh" reviews that you guys convince me rocks hardcore and you're usually right.

The reviews I hate the most are IGN. Those guys always find someone of pissing me off with some stupid reason for knocking a score down.

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I tend to discount whatever IGN has to say as it seems most of their reviews are written to have excerpts plastered all over game cases.

The_Dciple on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The_Dciple wrote: »
    I tend to discount whatever IGN has to say as it seems most of their reviews are written to have excerpts plastered all over game cases.

"FROTHING DEMAND"

:)

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited March 2007
    IGN's Wii channel. Most of the time, anyways.

Gamespy's good too.

Gamespot is way too fucking harsh.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah I just go every where now for my reviews. But I agree with the OP that when I first read Play I thought it was pretty awesome and original but then realized anything that has a sexy female or anime or an ounce of difference from the norm becomes their game of the millenia.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Isn't nintendo power owned by Nintendo? Not exactly an objective source...
    They gained some trust with me when Twilight Princess came out and they did not give it a 10.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yomamayomama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    For the most part I usually rent a game before I buy it (unless i know it is gonna be a AAA Title then I just go ahead and buy it.) I usually like EGM's reviews. That is a fairly good magazine in my opinion.

yomama on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I find games I'm looking forward to, read the previews and decide for myself. I often find myself agreeing with the pros and cons in a review of whatever game I am playing, but I don't really read them that often anymore. I'll rent things that look questionable or get low scores across the board.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    cdnegercdneger Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I read one games magazine, and that is GamesTM. Their tastes are usually in sync with mine, which is what matters most.

The one source I also hold in high regard is G&T but not for the same reasons all the other posters mention; your tastes are usually NOT mine. So whenever you guys hype some bizarre Japanese RPG strategy or whatever else is your flavour of the month I know not to bother. I am not one for obscure indie games either, being more of a God of War/Oblivion/HL2/Burnout type of gamer. I have tried your games G&T, believe me, and I tried to like them. I wanted to like them but come on... God Hand?? GOD HAND?? Biggest piece of shit of what is now the last gen.

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • Options
    hereyagohereyago Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i trust myself

hereyago on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I usually take a quick peek at gamerankings. If everyone agrees it's good I'll get it; if not, I'll read reviews to see why. And then if it's on Steam I give it +10 points and call it a day.

And I'm still mad at gamespot a little for harshing Half-Life 2 but usually the reviews there are pretty close.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guess I'm the only one hanging on to PC Gamer.

Basically the rule is the review will be brutally honest unless the game was featured on the cover. Then you take it with a grain of salt.

That might seem like a reason to distrust them but I understand how the business works. If they make a deal with iD to put Doom IV on the cover and make it a world premier review and then pan the game it's simply bad business. iD would never give them an exclusive review again as well as supplying promotional materials to them. Now they run advertisements for almost every PC Gaming company out there but when somebody pays for the front cover and you don't deliver you're setting yourself up to go under.

Once you know this though it's not a big deal. Also the games that are on the cover usually fall into that "Pretty much guaranteed to be good" category (e.g. Half Life 2).

Otherwise I depend on word of mouth (i.e. these forums) for all my console gaming reviews.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gamerankings for actual ratings, peers and G&T for synopsis and personal opinions. A bevy of podcasts and media sources round out the rest for more overarching reviews, including etoychest, famitsu, edge, and the 1up show.

Polago on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm in Ireland, and I read GamesTM and EDGE. Both run on the scores out of 10, 5 is average model. Their reviewers are anonymous so they can be brutally honest when they need to. Reviews are written with adults in mind but without any bullshit involving kiddy games. If its a good game, its a good game. If I don't agree with their score, I'll still be able to clearly understand why they like it more/less than I do. I get a good sense of what I will enjoy from their reviews whether they were fans of the game or not.

THey are also failry consistent with each other, so I feel very confident about listening to them

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    the reviews i check out are ign, gamespot, egm, and gamerankings.com. i think most reviews will have at least some people that agree, and obviously there will be people that think differently, thus gamerankings.com

has anyone watched tommy tallarico and that other stooge on judgement day on g4. worst reviews ever.

theparttime on
  • Options
    IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    I often check gamerankings.com, as I imagine many people do, but as for a single review site I do prefer Gamespy.

Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I buy whatever Raijin tells me to buy.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cdneger wrote: »
    God Hand?? GOD HAND?? Biggest piece of shit of what is now the last gen.

I think that statement nearly gave me a mild stroke when I read it

Anywhooo, I think the reason a lot of people here 'hype up' 'weird', 'quirky' and 'underrated' games is because we all love games here, and a lot of us are sick of the same FPS or RPG that comes out every other week. We crave things that are different, fresh and are just plain fun so when something like Pheonix Wright or God Hand comes along, something completley different from today's batch of 'me too' games, we are instantly interested and already like the game, just because it is TRYING to do something different. Well, that's true for me anyway and I'm sure it is for a lot of other people here. We crave games that are off the wall and uniqe, I personally don't read gaming magazines, I simply grab one, flick through in 20 seconds and then see if anything catches my eye. The last full preview of a game I read was when I was flciking through and Xbox magazine and noticed the new Def Jam game. I'd heard about the techniqe of using your enviroment to attack each other by playing music and, even though I'm not really into ganagsta' rap or that sort of thing, I was interested enough to read it.

Basically nowadays I only really take notice of games that catch my attention, I don't go into a store thinking 'Right, I need a good action game with a robust conbat system and online play', I'll just wander around and occasionally think 'What the hell is this?' pick it up, read the back of the case and since most stores around here have a 10 day return poilcy, I can easily buy it and trade it in for the full price if I don't like it.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    PC Gamer UK (not the US one at all), is easily the best-written magazine out there.
    Eurogamer is probably the best website.

I also look through Edge and Games TM from time to time.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    PC Gamer UK (not the US one at all), is easily the best-written magazine out there.

Really? I haven't picked up a PC mag in eons, but I might have to now

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    lazyboilazyboi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    I'm in Ireland, and I read GamesTM and EDGE. Both run on the scores out of 10, 5 is average model. Their reviewers are anonymous so they can be brutally honest when they need to. Reviews are written with adults in mind but without any bullshit involving kiddy games. If its a good game, its a good game. If I don't agree with their score, I'll still be able to clearly understand why they like it more/less than I do. I get a good sense of what I will enjoy from their reviews whether they were fans of the game or not.

THey are also failry consistent with each other, so I feel very confident about listening to them

I completely agree - I get both of these, and also use G&T to give me a heads-up on any games before their Euro release.

lazyboi on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Whilst I like EDGE, by the time they review something my interest will have long since passed. Honestly in that respect print magazines are a bit dead to me. I'm another metacritic fan, with splashes from this forum. But my purchase of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was based entirely on the GfW podcast.

Rook on
  • Options
    cdnegercdneger Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Anywhooo, I think the reason a lot of people here 'hype up' 'weird', 'quirky' and 'underrated' games is because we all love games here, and a lot of us are sick of the same FPS or RPG that comes out every other week. We crave things that are different, fresh and are just plain fun so when something like Pheonix Wright or God Hand comes along, something completley different from today's batch of 'me too' games, we are instantly interested and already like the game, just because it is TRYING to do something different. Well, that's true for me anyway and I'm sure it is for a lot of other people here. We crave games that are off the wall and uniqe, I personally don't read gaming magazines, I simply grab one, flick through in 20 seconds and then see if anything catches my eye. The last full preview of a game I read was when I was flciking through and Xbox magazine and noticed the new Def Jam game. I'd heard about the techniqe of using your enviroment to attack each other by playing music and, even though I'm not really into ganagsta' rap or that sort of thing, I was interested enough to read it.

Basically nowadays I only really take notice of games that catch my attention, I don't go into a store thinking 'Right, I need a good action game with a robust conbat system and online play', I'll just wander around and occasionally think 'What the hell is this?' pick it up, read the back of the case and since most stores around here have a 10 day return poilcy, I can easily buy it and trade it in for the full price if I don't like it.

Yes the people here really go for the obscure, off-beat games. I really don't. I also don't consider myself a hardcore gamer. I game for relaxation mostly, and I like my games to be polished, well presented and generally of a high standard of quality. I too dislike 'me too' games or generic crap but since I do not have much time to devote to gaming I tend to go with what I can trust will be a good experience. Hence my mentioning HL2, Oblivion, God Of War etc. Accessible gaming. My next 'project' will be FFXII, which will see me through the rest of this year I suppose. :)

But I don't slag your games G&T, I have tried them. They simply aren't for me.

EDIT: Except for God Hand, I mean, PLEASE!

cdneger on
    Every+Zig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I take the developer, media released and word of mouth far more seriously than game reviews. An example I could easily bring up would be Killzone: Liberation. The developer history was kind of shoddy (nice ideas but poor execution), the media released looked awesome and the word of mouth was great, but then 1UP gave it 4/10. Despite some reservations I bought the game and freaking loved it. Having said that though, I still really like a lot of the stuff 1UP do (when their site is working that is).

The only magazine I pay any attention to is Edge and even then I don't pay much attention to the reviews.

Btw, it annoys me when people bash a website/magazine because of a review score. It's called an opinion you retards. Someone didn't like the latest Zelda, why don't you go cry to your mum about it? Personally I like that game journalists seem to have grown some balls lately. It's certainly an improvement over when they constantly sucked off publishers while asking them about how awesome their awesome game is.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't really trust any single source. I generally find that I agree with Eurogamer most of the time, but I've really disagreed with some of their reviews.

I think Gamerankings is a decent resource. I'll read through a few reviews and get a sense of the pros and cons of a game.

If a game gets a lot of 70% ratings because it has "great graphics, but repetitive gameplay", I'll stay clear. But if it gets 70% for "lacking polish, but with an innovative game hidden underneath", I'll probably buy it.

I used to trust a few British gaming magazines, but then I had some bad experiences. I bought Battlecruiser 3000AD based upon a glowing review in one... luckily the store let me return it. Another time, the same magazine reviewed Warcraft II and under-rated the game massively. When I eventually bought the game and compared it to the review, I couldn't believe the reviewer was playing the same game. They got so many facts wrong, it was like they reviewed it without having played it.

So, I've built up a resistance to trusting any single review. Luckily, with the Internet, it's much easier to get multiple opinions now.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    I don't really trust any single source. I generally find that I agree with Eurogamer most of the time, but I've really disagreed with some of their reviews.
    It depends on who's reviewing, but I generally like their way of writing. Pretty entertaining in the morning, especially when reading the comments section.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm with you, my PCGamer brothers! I've been subscribing since like... around 97. Over a decade. Amazing stuff.

TheBog on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chen, you watch/read Nana, therefore, I trust you.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Yes the people here really go for the obscure, off-beat games. I really don't. I also don't consider myself a hardcore gamer. I game for relaxation mostly, and I like my games to be polished, well presented and generally of a high standard of quality. I too dislike 'me too' games or generic crap but since I do not have much time to devote to gaming I tend to go with what I can trust will be a good experience. Hence my mentioning HL2, Oblivion, God Of War etc. Accessible gaming. My next 'project' will be FFXII, which will see me through the rest of this year I suppose. :)

But I don't slag your games G&T, I have tried them. They simply aren't for me.

EDIT: Except for God Hand, I mean, PLEASE!

If you know what you like and read the forum's impressions of God Hand, you have nobody to blame but yourself for picking it up and hating it anyway. The topic was fairly insistent that the game was maddeningly difficult, features tank controls, and really only appeals to the hardcore beat-em-up fan.

I'm sorry you wasted your money, but you can't really blame a bunch of people that gave you every bit of information you should have needed to know "this game isn't for me."

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I tend to use Edge and gamerankings. I don't like a lot of the big review sites (like IGN, Gamespot, etc.) because the criteria by which they judge games don't match my own. IGN and Eurogamer especially tend to give me "Man, what?" moments. The impression that I usually get is that the reviewer has spent the minimum amount of time possible playing the game.

My experience with Edge is that they can be pretty harsh, but it's usually justified. I don't pay a lot of attention to the score out of ten, reading the text of the review is usually enough to get the gist of how the game plays. I've also never run into an incidence of an Edge reviewer "not getting it," which seems to be more common in online reviews.

japan on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    japan wrote: »
    I tend to use Edge and gamerankings. I don't like a lot of the big review sites (like IGN, Gamespot, etc.) because the criteria by which they judge games don't match my own. IGN and Eurogamer especially tend to give me "Man, what?" moments. The impression that I usually get is that the reviewer has spent the minimum amount of time possible playing the game.

Eurogamer shares several contributors with Edge, including: Kieron Gillen, Jim Rossignol, Simon Parkin and David McCarthy.

I agree that some of the reviews at Eurogamer are dubious, but I generally find them to be better than any other site. Still, there's no way I would trust a single source, so I generally use Gamerankings to look at multiple reviews.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't trust Gamerankings, since their average rating always seems janked and fucked up. I use Metacritic as a rough guide and go through some of the highest and lowest scoring reviews, trying to find similar complaints and compliments. Fucked up controls are a pet peeve of mine, and some reviewers will factor it in strongly with their review while others will only complain about it in passing. If I see consistent complaints about this factor, I'll know to steer clear ... or at least relegate it to a rental.

Of course, forum recommendations are always cool. I'll see a title come up repeatedly in threads regarding particular game types or console-specific recommendations and decide to take a closer look. A good example is Zone of the Enders 2. I've heard it name-dropped repeatedly, checked out the sites, balanced the consistent complaints (wonky camera, a bit short) with the compliments (gorgeous, balls-out action) and decided to make the purchase. I was very happy with my purchase.

That's pretty much the way I buy all my games, with general hype occasionally replacing tried-and-true recommendations (GTA:VC, GoW, etc.).

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When I think I wanna get a game, I go to metacritic or gamerankings and check out the consensus...then I come here and read what some of you foo's have to say very rarely has this forum guided me wrong...that's how I got Katamari, and Ikaruga, and Gladius, and Beyond Good and Evil, and Gitaroo Man,and ZX, and EBA...and some other crap.

Sol on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not gamepro.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Not gamepro.

Yeah, I don't think I could ever trust a review by Fart of War.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's page 3 and I'm the first guy to bring up X-Play. I believe in all the time of watching, since 2003, I've been steered wrong once, and that was Viewtiful Joe (but then didn't ALL the reviewers get that one wrong?) They don't review it until they've either beaten it or have logged a whole bunch of hours. It's a staff-wide score, meaning you dilute any biases. And the score is out of 5, which pretty much cuts out all the numerical BS: Great, good, okay, bad, horrible. (And you go to gamerankings, you see that they're one of the tougher reviewers out there, so a 4 or 5 means something.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I mainly read IGN for their reviews.

Also, I just surf here and find the games that have threads with like 80-90 pages. You generally cant go wrong with those.

<3 G&T. You guys play the best games.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gamespot and Gamerankings all the way.

Gamerankings mobile is particularly awesome for when I'm in the store and need to assess how kick ass a potential impulse buy is.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gamespot has a bad habit of being absolutely fucking retarded 40% of the time. But, they generally make up in depth and detail what they lack in consistency.

Terrorbyte on