As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising - The Why No Future Support Thread

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Basticle wrote: »
    http://www.simhq.com/_land3/land_136a.html

Magnum: Will there be a dedicated server capability for the PC?

Tim: The game will not ship with dedicated servers however it is something we're considering support at a later date.

fffffffffffffor fucks sake

Guess i'll be buying this for the 360 ! I was just going to ask which version everyone would be playing, but no dedicated server support out of the box and no cheat protection what so ever on PC is effectively killing any reason for me to buy that version.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, so I heard that there are pretty significant differences between the 360 and PC version. Is anybody able to give me more informations on this?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I haven't heard there were any significant differences, Alfred. In fact, in pretty much all the videos it's always been the 360 version demonstrated. The only thing I can think of is a lower player count for online.

And most people here seem to be picking it up on the 360, so I'll probably get it for that tomorrow. Send me a friend request then and we'll get started on some co-op!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i think the player count is the same

as for as differences
    Magnum: Is the PC version a clone of the console version with the only difference being hit gamepad buttons in menus instead of mouse clicks?

Tim: Not at all. The game was developed on both titles in tandem so it is neither a PC game ported to console nor a console game ported to PC. We wanted to make the most authentic tactical shooter we could for both PC and console and though a very ambitious task we feel we've accomplished just that.

thats about as specific as I've seen

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, so I heard that there are pretty significant differences between the 360 and PC version. Is anybody able to give me more informations on this?

well, there is the big difference in player numbers

you can have way more players in the PC game than in the 360 version

i think it's like 32 as opposed to 12 or something?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so how the fuck is anyone expected to do a 16vs16 match on a listen server?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I believe it's 8 (4v4) total for the 360, 16 (8v8) total for PC.

Dashui on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So does anyone have this on PC yet? I see Steam has it, but I'll hold off until I hear some opinions.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I looked it up, and beside the differences regarding the player number in some of the multiplayer modes and the missing mission editor for the 360 version, appearently everything else is the same.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh its only $40 on there. Thats almost impulse buying zone.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is an incredibly small number of players for a game that's supposed to be a sequel to OpFlash. :(

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If I can find the PC version this weekend I'll throw up some SP impressions.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dashui wrote: »

Im pretty sure this is wrong.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If wikipedia is to be believed:
    The multiplayer numbers are 16vs16 on PC and 4vs4 + 3 AI per person on consoles
    In co-op mode, human-controlled characters must stay within 275m of each other.
    In PvP missions the area of operations is limited to 4 square kilometers.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Only for the PC version. It's still 4v4 for consoles, but 16v16 for PC. Console players do get three AI per person, though.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Only for the PC version. It's still 4v4 for consoles, but 16v16 for PC. Console players do get three AI per person, though.

I read its 2 8 man squads on the 360 and PS3, and 4 8 man squads on the PC on their official forums...so yeah, 4vs4 is wrong. Its 8vs8, which is still small for OPflash imo. And PC is 16vs16

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Axen just quoted Wikipedia, man, saying 4v4 human players on consoles. And a Google search repeats the same information.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I read its 2 8 man squads on the 360 and PS3, and 4 8 man squads on the PC on their official forums...so yeah, 4vs4 is wrong. Its 8vs8, which is still small for OPflash imo. And PC is 16vs16

It's only 8 human players, but each player can command a squad of AI soldiers.

IGN Review
    IGN wrote:
    Annihilation is team deathmatch, and the nice touch here is that you fill slots in a whole bunch of squads on either side - so eight of you can fill out two squads on one side. Or you can each be squad leaders with AI members, four per side, or any mix which takes your fancy.

edit- I had to double check myself, cause 4v4 didn't sound right to me or 16v16 for that matter. :(

edit 2- I am still going to check this game out cause the co-op campaign sounds like a ton of fun.

Axen on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

1 squad of 4 players. All can be human, but only four humans per team on the consoles at least. So each human can have a squad of three computer players.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm picking this up for 360, definitely interested in co-op.

Hardcore mode sounds cool, but they mention in the video that the compass is removed, but the player still has a map. Does this mean you have to find compass headings strictly by landmarks? Or is there still a compass in the map view? It'd make sense to remove it from the HUD elements, not so much to deny a fairly basic piece of equipment that is considered essential to map-reading.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    Hmmm.

I've had it on my GameFly list for a while, so I better get a copy. :P

Any luck with you GF copy, Sheep?

Yall on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to pick this up for the 360 later today if the store has it. Hopefully they will and we can get some PA co-op action going. Is anyone else up for that?

Dashui on
  • Options
    MaskirovkaMaskirovka Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maskirovka wrote: »
    Now available for purchase and immediate download via Steam for $39.99. I'm downloading now.

Reading the official forums, it seems like online play won't require a cdkey...nor is there any cheat protection (not even PunkBuster). So, if you buy for PC, make sure you have people you know to play with. I'm sure there will be hax at some point.

Does this mean people who pirate it will be able to play it online? This seems rather foolish.

Yeah, seems that way. Even more foolish however seems to be that I'm not sure how you'd ban anyone for cheating. How do you have consequences if you have no specific identity (cdkey)?
    So does anyone have this on PC yet? I see Steam has it, but I'll hold off until I hear some opinions.

I picked it up on Steam. I played through the intro mission a bit, but my video card is dying so I had tons of artifacting/driver recoveries/etc. Seemed very solid for what little I played I guess. The radial menu thing is really strange and clunky, but I'm sure it'll be possible to get used to...just very different.

I have a new vid card coming today, but I also have stuff to do tonight...I'll post some impressions when I get a chance.

Maskirovka on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Picked it up for the 360 at lunch from EB, the same EB that told me it wasn't out until Friday.
    I should feign explosive poop and see if I can go home early "sick"

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So its 4vs 4 but each person has a squad? Weird. Why didn't they just have every person be real people in the squad? 4vs 4 is way to small a number. But who knows, maybe its still fun?

Regarldess nobody around here seems to have the game in stock anyways.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So its 4vs 4 but each person has a squad? Weird. Why didn't they just have every person be real people in the squad? 4vs 4 is way to small a number. But who knows, maybe its still fun?

Yeah, my store didn't have it either. I am sad. :(

Maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Well, 4 on 4 with each person having a squad of three computer players.
    Think more along the lines of Brothers in Arms online than Rainbow Six heh.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »

Well, 4 on 4 with each person having a squad of three computer players.
    Think more along the lines of Brothers in Arms online than Rainbow Six heh.

I am itching for a game like this though to be honest, so i want to go pick it up. But nobody has it, according to Future Shop's web site it was released on the 4th? And its the 7th and it shows them still being out of stock on both the online store and my local store of botht he PC and 360 versions. I am completely un-sold on the PC version due to what will become an online mode filled with prolific hacking and dicks who pirated the game off of torrent web sites.

Elimination on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »
    Picked it up for the 360 at lunch from EB, the same EB that told me it wasn't out until Friday.
    I should feign explosive poop and see if I can go home early "sick"

I thought all hardcore gamers had bowel issues by default? :winky:

Yall on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I picked this up for 360 today. I got the second last copy for 360 and none had come in yet for ps3. I'm a few missions into the campaign and really enjoying it so far.

My only real complaint is how clunky some things are. Squad orders, weapon selection, driving vehicles, healing myself and my squad mates. It all feels way clunkier than it should be.

Also I wish there was some kind of indicator as to how far away guys are on your compass. I see a red arrow indicating a guy is in that direction. But is he close, or is he way far away behind a hill? I can find exactly where he is by pressing select and looking at his marker on the map, but it would be so much easier if it was a bigger arrow for closer enemies, and smaller for farther away.

I haven't had a chance to try out any co-op campaign yet, but even by yourself the missions are quite fun.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Bandwidth and resource (system RAM and processing capability) issues. For comparison, games like Team Fortress and CoD also have smaller player limits on the consoles compared to the PC versions. The lack of dedicated server hosting is usually a big impediment to how many people you can have in a game.

subedii on
  • Options
    Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kinda want to pick this up, just nervous about the clumsiness that seems to be present.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Squad orders don't really seem "clunky" to me, but your first couple times opening the command interface will involve some trial and error to find the right sub-menu. You'll be fairly quick with the orders by the time you've completed one or two missions.

Your squad seems to be good in a fight, so I often move in a Vee formation with my team moving up ahead on each side. They act as a much-needed early warning system in Hardcore mode, calling out the enemy's bearing and taking them under suppressive fire.

Haven't driven a vehicle or flown a chopper yet, will post my impressions once I've had a chance to try them out.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Trying to command your squad to take cover behind anything is next to impossible. Don't try, just let them do their own thing. If the mission selection thing is any indicator I'm already half ways through the game which is kinda sad.

I tried "Infiltration" online and it was ok. I won the round by accident.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like the game, but it's basically exhibit A of why checkpoint save systems are retarded.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I kind of want to jump straight into co-op instead of single player. Hopefully someone here will also want to do that. My store just didn't have it today, though, so I'll have to check back tomorrow. Is it still worth picking up?

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I kind of want to jump straight into co-op instead of single player. Hopefully someone here will also want to do that. My store just didn't have it today, though, so I'll have to check back tomorrow. Is it still worth picking up?

I will co-op with you, once i pick the game up. Hopefully tomorrow they will have it in stock. I checked wal-mart today and they didn't have it either. I'm mostly waiting on future shop to get it though so i can trade in some games i dont play anymore and pick up this one. I love modern millitary shooters.

Elimination on
  • Options
    GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So the end of the third mission on hardcore is owning me. D: Really enjoying the game, although the lack of leaning sorta irritates me. Ah well.

Glocjt on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Glocjt wrote: »
    So the end of the third mission on hardcore is owning me. D: Really enjoying the game, although the lack of leaning sorta irritates me. Ah well.

I never used leaning even when i had the option so i dont care much...but i'd really like to get the game, and its past its release and nobody here has gotten it on stock, this annoys me greatly.

Elimination on