Options

Mass Effect - Release date set for January 26, 2010. 29 January in Europa.

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I hope the Geth spouts some awesome one liners like HK-47 did.

Seems unlikely given that they're not even really sapient individually, much less capable of wit.

There seems to be this constant misconception on how Geth work

They do not have a hivemind, more of their processor frees up for higher function thinking the more clumped up they are. So yes, they're quite smart individually provided they're grouped together.

Robman on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Seems unlikely given that they're not even really sapient individually, much less capable of wit.

Well theres something special about this one if it joins you, so.. a wizard did it?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So if I didn't play or didn't finish the first mass effect, do you think I would enjoy this?

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Speaking of Quarians, for those that read (or spoiled) Ascension, it's pretty obvious how the Reapers are going to be reactivated.
    Durp durp durp. Gee, our Migrant Fleet is dying! Let's send out exploration ships to the deep, unknown soul warping void of darkspace. There we can seek an even MORE destructive and powerful AI race than the ones we created, and use *it* to kill all the Geth and retake our homes! Yay! Surely this won't backfire in the most horrible way imaginable!

One does not poke Mecha-Cthulu with a stick and ask it nicely if it will help deal with neighborhood bullies.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    One does not poke Mecha-Cthulu with a stick and ask it nicely if it will help deal with neighborhood bullies.

I want a bunch of creepy mini Cthulhus or Mecha Deep Ones to fight tbh :mrgreen:

Egos on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »

There seems to be this constant misconception on how Geth work

They do not have a hivemind, more of their processor frees up for higher function thinking the more clumped up they are. So yes, they're quite smart individually provided they're grouped together.

Yes, however we're talking about the idea of a Geth party member.

And I somehow doubt they'd include a party member that is actually three or four party members, so the concern stands. A Geth is not a viable party member because on its own, without any comrades, they're dumb machines.

No real misconception here.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So if I didn't play or didn't finish the first mass effect, do you think I would enjoy this?

It would be bad to compare jumping into ME2 to, say, picking up the Star Wars films by watching Empire first or a series of books by starting somewhere in the middle... Generally, games in a series are created to be able to stand on their own with a little exposition to bring new players up to speed.

If you never play ME1 before playing ME2, you'll be fine. But if you decide to re-visit the first one later, you'll be disappointed since it will be a lesser game in terms of development. As it is, it's only necessary to play ME1 to gain whatever bonuses that are possible and maybe a little bit if 'hey I remember that' feelings.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Now that you guys have caught on to the fact that N7 Geth isn't a Geth exactly I feel comfortable revealing that is who the main villian is, sort of. It is what Shepard secretly fears she is becoming, no better than what they would fight.

The N7 logo? The hole in its chest (heartlessness)?

If you guys haven't figured it out by now, the story of Mass Effect 2 is Shepard fighting her way out of a coma (after the horrible face-and-skills accident that destroys the Normandy), and the N7 Geth is the embodiment of Shepard's doubt, the primary antagonist that Shepard needs to overcome in order to have the resolve to come to and save the galaxy in ME3. Tali actually serves as another aspect of Shepard's personality: She's the representation of the isolation of being a Spectre and of being in command in general (a full body suit that you can never safely remove).

All the characters we've seen thus far are either representations of parts of herself or her crew that she must learn to either cultivate or neutralize. Grunt isn't Wrex-lite, he's the embodiment of his natural aggression, and the danger that Wrex might just one day eat you for shits and giggles. Thane is actually just another aspect of Wrex's personality, the cool as ice killer, and the danger that Wrex might turn on you when your interests run contrary to his too many times.

Subject Zero is all the aspects of Kaiden that he feels the need to repress. If Kaiden for whatever reason is not around she will also serve as the guilt over this and you will have to fight her at some point. Miranda serves a similar funtion with respect to Ashley.

All the planets are Shepard's memories of different influential events in her life, each with its own demon that must be brought to heel. There will, for example, be a planet for your respective background (Earthborn, Colonist, Spacer) and one for your backstory (The Blitz, Torfan, Akuze), though there will be far more than just those two.

This is also why the game seems to be taking place in a bizarro-Citadel, and why the potential for Cylon-Knight armor won't be raising any eyebrows.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'll admit, I laughed at that.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you talking about the first teaser trailer? The one where people mistakenly believed a geth was wearing N7 armour?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sometimes I worry that I'm fishing a little too hard for that misinformation department opening.

BITE you have to sell yourself.

Seriously on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just finished the game and I must say I can't wait for the 2nd one. Too bad it'll be like a year until it hits steam. Oh well!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nah, this time it will be up on steam pronto

EA gets big cash dollars for steam sales, since there's no used market value and there's no brick and mortar store cut

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wonder what steams cut is vs brick and mortar

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    webguy20 wrote: »

I was coming here to ask the same question.

I was curious, in general, how much of a cut bioware gets for the games sales after the brick and mortar/digital distributor and EA get their cuts?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I was curious, in general, how much of a cut bioware gets for the games sales after the brick and mortar/digital distributor and EA get their cuts?

This seems like a reasonable question to have answered by low- to mid-level BioWare employees?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

This seems like a reasonable question to have answered by low- to mid-level BioWare employees?

This is such a great idea Im quoting it

Though in my business if I wasn't part of the sales staff and gave away pricing information I would be canned so hard Id be tasting tin.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I doubt it. Most companies don't like talking about their financial businesses to non-stockholders.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As Santa has politely indicated, even if I actually knew that, there's no way in hell I'd be allowed to tell you. Sorry.

takyris on
  • Options
    dark_porpoisedark_porpoise Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    I highly doubt not finding a few rocks of plutonium will impact the Alliance military machine.

Yeah, but I could totally see a moment in ME2 when some Alliance admiral goes up to Shepard and says, "Shepard, finding all those resources has been very valuable to us. Here's something cool for doing what must have seemed like a colossal waste of time."

Or maybe there'll be an asari who will want to reward Shepard for finding all those writings, or a salarian thankful for finding the salarian stuff.

So far, I'm proceeding like that stuff won't matter in ME2, because it probably won't, and the small chance that it will isn't enough to make me drive the Mako over some ridiculously rocky planets just to gather some of that stuff.

But if I knew that stuff was in play, then I would do it in a heartbeat.

I figure that I'll just do the more "important" seeming sidequests like the ones from Kahoku, Hackett, stuff involving Cerberus, etc., and skip over the rest of the stuff. I figure that'll give me the best might-be-followed-up-on-in-ME2 chance without driving me insane.

This is going back a bit, but I asked essentially the same question in an earlier thread, and the response was "NO. Oh God no. We wouldn't do that to you."

I may have paraphrased.

People, we in all likelihood have no Geth Party member (as in, no reason in any way to believe that), so until we get some concrete evidence of said long-shot theory, can we keep the assumptions to a minimum?

And I just went with Buttcleft's because it was the most recent one about the Geth.

dark_porpoise on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    takyris wrote: »
    As Santa has politely indicated, even if I actually knew that, there's no way in hell I'd be allowed to tell you. Sorry.

I figured as much, didn't hurt to try though. Could have been surprised :D

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

People, we in all likelihood have no Geth Party member (as in, no reason in any way to believe that), so until we get some concrete evidence of said long-shot theory, can we keep the assumptions to a minimum?

And I just went with Buttcleft's because it was the most recent one about the Geth.

Nah.

It's fun and it's also 90% of what these threads have contained.

Geth squad mate confirmed.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Meh. I'd much rather have a Elcor party member before a Geth.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I'm guessing an Elcor would be too problematic/time consuming to animate in combat and going down corridors and such.

+they don't fit the bad ass alien requirements
    sorry Volus that includes you :(

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    True. Actually I'd rather have a Volus.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What about a Volus riding an Elcor?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Don't be crazy

That level of shit won't happen until ME3

Robman on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A Volus party member would have only one ability

Yelling "Cheese it!" and waddling away in a highly comedic fashion. This is all I'm capable of envisioning them doing in combat.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

If we're discussing party members of the other races...I think I'd rather see a Volus than an Elcor.

Actually, Salarian would be nice too. Those two are tied for my favorite alien races in ME.

e: In combat I suspect the Volus would throw money on the ground in the hopes that organics would become increasingly distracted and then Shepard could kill them.

Volus = support class.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Axen wrote: »

With Twin Bazookas! One on each Shoulder! And they're special attack could be the Elcor uses the Volus as a bowling ball!

Egos on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Nah.

Wait there is a Geth squad mate, where is this confirmed? Because that would be stupid and make absolutely no sense, as Geth intelligence is based on how many Geth are in close proximity. One Geth alone has only a very basic animal like intelligence, but many Geth become a very effective and dangerous fighting force. This is all explained by Tali in the first game as to how they built the Geth and how they functioned.

What would he do all day go "Durrrrr and hurrrr" until you tell him to take a trip out the airlock?

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    T4CT wrote: »

If we're discussing party members of the other races...I think I'd rather see a Volus than an Elcor.

Actually, Salarian would be nice too. Those two are tied for my favorite alien races in ME.

e: In combat I suspect the Volus would throw money on the ground in the hopes that organics would become increasingly distracted and then Shepard could kill them.

Volus = support class.

We're getting Salarian. Taky wrote him.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    We're getting Salarian. Taky wrote him.

Eh, once again behind. I need to read this thread more.

However that's exciting and dandy. That's pretty much all I really wanted.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

Nah.

Wait there is a Geth squad mate, where is this confirmed? Because that would be stupid and make absolutely no sense, as Geth intelligence is based on how many Geth are in close proximity. One Geth alone has only a very basic animal like intelligence, but many Geth become a very effective and dangerous fighting force. This is all explained by Tali in the first game as to how they built the Geth and how they functioned.

What would he do all day go "Durrrrr and hurrrr" until you tell him to take a trip out the airlock?

If Grant Morrison can write a rabbit as a compelling character, and people can find Wall-E and EVE adorable, what do you think Bioware can do with a semi-retard robot?

The single biggest sign to me that the Geth pictured in the previews is a party member is easy to see. He's not using Geth weaponry. He's using mass effect weapons, not pulse rifles.
    Egos wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »

With Twin Bazookas! One on each Shoulder! And they're special attack could be the Elcor uses the Volus as a bowling ball!

GOTY confirmed.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man that's gonna be the case, rocketlaunching vol-cor or not.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Man that's gonna be the case, rocketlaunching vol-cor or not.

Man...has anything else even been announced next year?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

Geth Party Member = Fable II's dog.

Pat it on it's head to make it feel better and everything.

e: Halo: Reach is next year but I doubt it's going to get GOTY. I'd be upset if it did.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Shepard: "You're going to give me a discount on this item."
    Elcor: "Defiant: I see no reason to accomodate your threats."
    Shepard: "Here's one, Geth, how long would it take for your to rip that Elcor's arms off and sing the song, "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands?"
    Geth: "3.84 GALACTIC STANDARD SECONDS FOR THE ARMS."
    Elcor: "Disturbed: Err..."
    Geth: "22.45 GALACTIC STANDARD SECONDS FOR THE SONG."
    Elcor: "Alarmed: Umm..."
    Shepard: "Now, about my discount."

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Shepard: "You're going to give me a discount on this item."
    Elcor: "Defiant: I see no reason to accomodate your threats."
    Shepard: "Here's one, Geth, how long would it take for your to rip that Elcor's arms off and sing the song, "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands?"
    Geth: "3.84 GALACTIC STANDARD SECONDS FOR THE ARMS."
    Elcor: "Disturbed: Err..."
    Geth: "22.45 GALACTIC STANDARD SECONDS FOR THE SONG."
    Elcor: "Alarmed: Umm..."
    Shepard: "Now, about my discount."

I support this fully. It reminds me of HK-47

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I still love the idea of the party member you left with the nuke returning with their consciousness downloaded into a Geth body. Especially if it was your love interest.

"BABY YOU DON'T LOOK AT ME THE SAME WAY ANY MORE. BEEP BLOOP"

Fatty McBeardo on