Options

Modern Warfare 2: No killstreaks, Vector only, Final Destination. (Steam Group in OP)

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yeah but everyone has ninja because the other perk 3s are crapola.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've got an unusual problem with my PC copy of MW2. Whenever I start up any part of the game, after a few seconds at the main menu it freezes. Keyboard and mouse do not respond and all of the background movement in the menu stops but the music continues as normal. It used to do this every once in awhile but earlier today it started doing this every time I tried to play. The only way I can close it is through Task manager where it says the program isn't responding. A few times it behaved normally, it freezes for just a second and the comes back and a Steam pop-up tells me I can press Shift+Tab to bring up the Steam community. I don't think that temporary freezing is normal and the complete lock up definitely isn't.

Further more, when it has gone through with start up and I attempt to join my friend, it cannot connect to the host and when I invite them and attempt to find a game the entire program shuts down without warning.

I've tried running the .exe in different compatibility modes and as admin with no luck. I've updated my video card drivers and checked for game and Steam updates but nothing is working. Any ideas what could be wrong?

SirToasty on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    @The Scarab

...but that's not a true statement.

not everyone uses Ninja. Sure, lots of people do and you've still gotta be on your game and pay attention but sometimes it can be really helpful to have that heartbeat sensor.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Fiziks wrote: »
    Thermal and Heartbeat are pretty useless. Although I'm really not sure what the difference between red dot and holographic is. The reticule?

Does red dot turn off if you get emp'd? I think holographic doesn't cover up the target so you can aim better.

Red dot sights, or "Reflex sights", are not electronic.

Thus they do not go away after a EMP bomb.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Judgement wrote: »
    Thermal and Heartbeat are pretty useless. Although I'm really not sure what the difference between red dot and holographic is. The reticule?

Does red dot turn off if you get emp'd? I think holographic doesn't cover up the target so you can aim better.

They do in this game.

aBlank on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ^what he said

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    ArgonomicArgonomic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I've got an unusual problem with my PC copy of MW2. Whenever I start up any part of the game, after a few seconds at the main menu it freezes. Keyboard and mouse do not respond and all of the background movement in the menu stops but the music continues as normal. It used to do this every once in awhile but earlier today it started doing this every time I tried to play.

This is the game waiting for Steam. It doesn't happen for more than a split second at home for me, but at work it sits there for like 10 seconds before resuming.

Argonomic on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yeah but everyone has Commando because the other perk 3s are crapola.

Much better. ;)

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    aBlank wrote: »

They do in this game.

Why?

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I suppose I ought to be added to the steam list. My steam name is "luckycynic"

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    As everything, this is probably old news, but it made me drop my jaw:

Lottery

Terrorists win.

Sheep on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

I think the in-game red dot sight is an Aimpoint, which does use a battery to project the red dot.

Fats on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah same here... mine is "SubtleTies" for the few of us playing on the computer.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Steam Group is in the OP, but my steamid is Maleficium.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So any suggestions for getting better (on the pc) other than 'play a lot'?

Also I can't tell what guns some people are killing me with. I watch the death cam but i just don't know what they are. This is where i would normally go to the dev console and look but ohhhh no.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Yeah same here... mine is "SubtleTies" for the few of us playing on the computer.

are you sure thats your name?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

are you sure thats your name?

ummm... its either that or InitiateFailure. I'm not sure which name Steam uses for user searches. Or for that matter it might even be "rosscourt." That's what my link is at least

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just played a round that was something out of an action movie.

Kill two guys with my M4, run out of ammo.
    Kill two with my grenade launcher and the secondary 'nade launcher I'm carrying. Out of ammo.
    Use a predator missile on a guy around the corner who was too timid to rush me.
    Get one last kill with my throwing knife (which was dumb luck because I forgot I had it and thought I was throwing a frag)

So sweet.

<3 MW2

Fraz on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Time for the Snake Eyes build. Akimbo Uzis, Marathon, Lightweight, Ninja and throwing knives.

Algertman on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    Time for the Snake Eyes build. Akimbo Uzis, Marathon, Lightweight, Ninja and throwing knives.

You mean the Detective Tequila build?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I said SNAKE EYES! Tequila would probably have stopping power.

Algertman on
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

My friends and I rented a movie called City of Violence once and the best part of the movie was that there was a Hard Boiled trailer in the beginning, which made us go rent it immediately after.

On topic: my favorite moments involve finding a group of +2 face to face and you manage to kill them all while moving foward the entire time; getting kills with the primary, followed by secondary, followed by knife.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Also Doves.

Need those for the Tequila build.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Slow mo as well.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Also Doves.

Need those for the Tequila build.

UAV, Airstrike, and Harriers should do the trick.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Favela is by far my favorite map, but only with the marathon lightweight commando tac-knife setup. Even better on domination, I just run around all the winding alleys and jump off roofs stabbin folks until it's ac130 time

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I knifed 7 people, the entire enemy team, in a row. Like,literally. They were standing/sitting in a line, I just kept on running from dude to dude stabbing after flanking them.

One of my teammates said "Holy shit dude!". Another said "Yo asshole,you just stole my kill I had that bitch lined up in my scope!"

XBL. Always priceless.

@fleck0: You are good people. We should form a club.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    @fleck0: You are good people. We should form a club.

We need a club title / emblem setup

something knifey

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm on and about. Feel free to invite me XBL PAers!

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Manji2099Manji2099 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hoooooollllyyyyyy shit.

So the Akimbo 1893s are hotter than a nineteen year old redhead. Two lever action shotguns, Marathon, Lightweight, and Steady Aim.

To quote a rather infamous comic....

I am John Wayne in True Grit. I am Charles Bronson in Death Wish. I am Clint Eastwood in all five Dirty Harry flicks and all the best Spaghetti Westerns.....and you, my friend, are fucked.

I almost had the nuke on Free For All on the airport level. 24th kill I killed a guy with the throwing knife. Went to pick it up and got shot in the back by like four guys at the same time. But it still felt great to go 24-0, 32-2 the whole match.

and watching your guy swing those things like some B-Western hero is beyond words.

Manji2099 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    Favela is by far my favorite map, but only with the marathon lightweight commando tac-knife setup. Even better on domination, I just run around all the winding alleys and jump off roofs stabbin folks until it's ac130 time

I was 30:1 on Favela earlier today... and I'm not exactly a fan of the map. :P

Still, having my harrier strike and chopper gunner up at the same time? Glorious.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So how many shots can the M1014 do this time around without needing a reload. In the CoD4 Single player according to IW's fictional world, the M1014 has 7 rounds I believe but in multiplayer it is 4.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just played a game where I bothered to go marathon, lightweight, commando. I've been using commando as a backup defense for awhile, but it's pretty fucking ridiculous that a guy just using a knife can win games so consistently with that setup.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So how many shots can the M1014 do this time around without needing a reload. In the CoD4 Single player according to IW's fictional world, the M1014 has 7 rounds I believe but in multiplayer it is 4.

It had 7 in multi too , it just got nerfed afterward.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Bullfrogof7272Bullfrogof7272 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Marathon pro, lightweight pro, and commando or scrambler in the 3rd slot have served me incredibly well. It's the build i keep coming back to.

Bullfrogof7272 on
    the hammer, is my penis.
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

So according to Wikipedia:

"Unlike traditional red dot sights, holographic weapon sights utilize holography to achieve an effectively infinite parallax free distance. Most standard red dot sights use a simpler semi-reflective surface which reflects a projected dot of light while allowing the user to see through the sight. When the eye is not aligned with the center of the standard reflex sight, a certain amount of parallax error can be introduced at longer ranges. The method of holographic projection used by EOTech allows the parallax error to be constant at any range, and never more than the radius of the sight window."

But I highly doubt IW implemented parallax for ADS.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

"Unlike traditional red dot sights, holographic weapon sights utilize holography to achieve an effectively infinite parallax free distance. Most standard red dot sights use a simpler semi-reflective surface which reflects a projected dot of light while allowing the user to see through the sight. When the eye is not aligned with the center of the standard reflex sight, a certain amount of parallax error can be introduced at longer ranges. The method of holographic projection used by EOTech allows the parallax error to be constant at any range, and never more than the radius of the sight window."

Uh what?

Reflex sights are electronic.

And almost all of them are parallax free.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taranis wrote: »

Uh what?

Not all are parallax free. I have used enough cheap ass red dots to know that. But this is a video game.

muninn on
  • Options
    GarrisGarris Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Who wants to set up for some Spec ops, Im not the greatest player in the world but im looking to work through some of these missions.

Garris on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taranis wrote: »

Uh what?

So then is there a difference between using holographic and reflex in-game? Personal preference?

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg