As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DDO] Dungeons & Dragons Online - Want people to play with? Top of the OP for info

• Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    but having a bow for those pesky out of reach npcs is a good idea

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RDPS clasically has an advantage over MDPS in switching targets, and being out of range of targets cleave / PBAOE abilities.

Though I'm not too sure how often those mechanics are implemented in DDO.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Except that if the tank is holding aggro, you won't take any damage in melee either. And you will be doing a lot more DPS.

Ranged combat is broken, and is only useful in very limited circumstances and is thus not worth building your character to focus on it.

A lot of higher level enemies cleave so you will be taking a lot of damage in melee even if something is being tanked properly. I hope all you melee guys have like 14 con or some toughness feats, cause you are going to get hit. Many bosses start doing aoes to melee also that can really hurt.

Jeix on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    what do you guys think of this build: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=120427
    its old (from 2007) but this basic premise is very appealing to me. its a a Neutral Good - Human – Rogue 11 / Barbarian 1 / Fighter 2
    a semi-suisidal character who’s main limitation is that they can pull way more agro than they can handle. You are super fast, super sneaky and extremely deadly. Keep haste potions around and use that sprint boost to zip around like a madman. Indeed this build is heavy with action boosts all around so use them whenever seems appropriate and just have fun with short bursts of ass kicking madness. The whole idea is to go wild and have fun assassinating monsters while trying not to get squashed.

this sounds awesome for my group (we have 2 healers a cleric and a pally) so i think a suicidal madman build would be fun. question is does this one work? and if so why? why mostly rogue, only 1 level of barb and only 2 of fighter?

valiance on
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The problem with using older builds is that there have been many patches since 2007. One of the larger things changed is the level cap. You might want to find an updated version of that build.

Jeix on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Personally I have little respect for glass canon pure DPS builds. After like the second time you die, you can spend the rest of the quest in my pocket.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Ranged combat is broken, and is only useful in very limited circumstances and is thus not worth building your character to focus on it.

Ranged combat is awesome, and it is totally worth building your character to focus on it.

:P

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    valiance wrote: »
    what do you guys think of this build: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=120427
    its old (from 2007) but this basic premise is very appealing to me. its a a Neutral Good - Human – Rogue 11 / Barbarian 1 / Fighter 2
    a semi-suisidal character who’s main limitation is that they can pull way more agro than they can handle. You are super fast, super sneaky and extremely deadly. Keep haste potions around and use that sprint boost to zip around like a madman. Indeed this build is heavy with action boosts all around so use them whenever seems appropriate and just have fun with short bursts of ass kicking madness. The whole idea is to go wild and have fun assassinating monsters while trying not to get squashed.

this sounds awesome for my group (we have 2 healers a cleric and a pally) so i think a suicidal madman build would be fun. question is does this one work? and if so why? why mostly rogue, only 1 level of barb and only 2 of fighter?

1 Barb is probably for the Enrage skill
    2 Fighter is probably for the free heavy armor and some weapon proficiency, as well as extra feats

The thing is, a Pure Rogue can get their dex high enough that they can tank as well as a fighter without the heavy armor. And with all that dex, you dont need strength that Barb rage would give you, since you would probably be using Weapon Finesse for your damage along with Sneak Attack which works whenever the enemy is targeting someone else.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also: Warforged on sale this weekend.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I convinced the wife to nerd up and join in some DDO fun, we plan on rolling as a team and she's going with a cleric... what would a good complimentary class be for me? We plan on doing most quests just as a two-some and we plan to take our time and not rush through dungeons. I'm thinking rogue for trap finding and unlocking as well as some melee punch... she'll be able to tank a bit and heal, so I don't think I need to roll up a fighter, and I think a sorc would be a little too weak to hold up my end in a fight. Any suggestions? Anybody done a lot of quests in just a two-person group?

Fleeb on
  • Options
    ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Do you have someone else to do lots of DPS or maintain agro through Intimidate? Rogue damage largely comes from backstabbing. If you have agro, you won't get it (with a few exceptions). Also, remember that you can't backstab some mobs like undead.

If you really want it, I think the OP of that thread is still active. Ask him for an update.

Reiten on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really wish I could figure out how to get some more AC on my Rogue, but I don't think I can do so without multiclassing into something like Ranger, which would probably compromise my eventual goal of Assassin III. I'm rocking a whole 29 AC right now, which at level 13 may as well be 0. My dex is so high that even padded armor caps me, so now I'm in armored bracers and an Outfit.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    I really wish I could figure out how to get some more AC on my Rogue, but I don't think I can do so without multiclassing into something like Ranger, which would probably compromise my eventual goal of Assassin III. I'm rocking a whole 29 AC right now, which at level 13 may as well be 0. My dex is so high that even padded armor caps me, so now I'm in armored bracers and an Outfit.

You have hit the AC Zone, at around level 12 Gear will determine your AC, so either Grind for Raid loot or just forget all about AC.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, what raid loot? I wouldn't know what to look for, and I'm not sure what all raids I have available to me. I know Tempest Spine and the... uh... Snakebutt raid we call it. The one with the Marilith. I've only managed to do all of three runs of Tempest, and while I'm eligible for Vault of Night and the Demon Sands raid, I haven't been able to find any groups willing to take me on for them.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    This seems to be the robe of choice for AC Dex based. Then either a Shield or if Dual Wield a Wand of Shield [10th] iwith some Monk Splash for Wisdom AC bonus. Then the usual Shroud or other Raids to get your Dex item higher then +6.

Stuff you could do now. Get a Wand of Shield or Shield Spell Clicky, Barkskin Potion, and Cloak of Protection.

Edit: http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/The_Definitive_AC_Bonus_Guide

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hmm. The static rewards list on the DDO forums lists that Icy Raiment as being in "The Subterraine." Where is that and what level is it?

Also a Monk splash would be absolutely useless for me. I have a base wisdom of 8 and no real way to raise it aside from tomes and items, which I feel I'm scraping by on right now. This is what my Rogue has right now.

Edit: Some of the gear listed on that page isn't what I normally run around with. My goggles, for instance, are +4 reflex and +3 deflection AC normally.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, what raid loot? I wouldn't know what to look for, and I'm not sure what all raids I have available to me. I know Tempest Spine and the... uh... Snakebutt raid we call it. The one with the Marilith. I've only managed to do all of three runs of Tempest, and while I'm eligible for Vault of Night and the Demon Sands raid, I haven't been able to find any groups willing to take me on for them.

You'll want the Chattering Ring out of the Vault of Night for sure (raid loot). Who-Psyd has some good ideas, such as the monk splash and Icy Raiments (Icy Raiments are pretty easy to get these days in the Sub-T)...although the Dragontouched Shroud (Reavers Reach) might be better eventually (it just takes either very good luck or a lot of grinding). Until you can get/wear the Icy Raiments, you'll want a protection item of the highest possible plus possible for your level. You'll also want the Combat Expertise feat, if your base (plus tomes eaten) INT is high enough--that's another 5 AC right there when activated.

Here's the thing. Once you get to around L14 or so, unless you can approach an AC of the mid to high 50s when fully geared, it really isn't worth it. If you look around the official forums, you should find some AC breakdowns for DEX builds.

Reiten on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I get the feeling my Rogue is a lost cause then.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hmm. The static rewards list on the DDO forums lists that Icy Raiment as being in "The Subterraine." Where is that and what level is it?

Also a Monk splash would be absolutely useless for me. I have a base wisdom of 8 and no real way to raise it aside from tomes and items, which I feel I'm scraping by on right now. This is what my Rogue has right now.

Edit: Some of the gear listed on that page isn't what I normally run around with. My goggles, for instance, are +4 reflex and +3 deflection AC normally.

SubT is for about L15 and up and includes 2 raids (Hound and Vision). The Icy Raiments are found in a named encounter in the underground Wilderness Area. You enter it through that capped entrance in the middle of the Marketplace tent.

Here is a 18 month old list of equipment for a DEX based rogue (halfling) from a former guildie. This will give you some idea of what is necessary (since you don't want to go monk w/ a wisdom item, you'll need to use a shield for AC just like this build) (the robe is a Dragontouched Robe/Shroud which you get in the Reavers Reach 6 man raid--which for high level characters):

"16 Halfling Rogue

10 Base
    +14 Dex **Robes - 20 dex +3 tome +5 enh +4 lvls +6 item = 38**
    +6 Dragon Robe
    +7 Heavy Mithril Shield
    +1 Dodge Feat
    +5 Combat Expertise
    +3 Seal of Earth RAID LOOT
    +3 Chattering Ring RAID LOOT
    +2 Chaosgarde
    +1 Halfling Size
    +5 Protection Item
    +4 Insight AC from Tier-3 Shroud item RAID LOOT
    = 61 standing
    +4 Paladin Aura
    +4 Bard Song
    +2 Ranger Barkskin
    +2 Recitation
    +1 Haste
    =74
    +6 Improved Uncanny Dodge = 80 for 30 seconds
    +4 Tumbling with Tumble Feat = 84 for 30 seconds while not attacking"

Reiten on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My rogue is Drow and built around dual wielding for sneak attacks. I would have to completely scrap the concept and start over for that.

I'm not looking to tank or anything here. I just want a little more survivability and maybe enough defensive ooph to solo a few wilderness areas from time to time.

That is, unless anything below min-maxed AC may as well be nothing at all, in which case I think the design of the game is kinda crap and I may as well give up now.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That is, unless anything below min-maxed AC may as well be nothing at all, in which case I think the design of the game is kinda crap and I may as well give up now.

Then give yourself a DPS mode (TWF) and an AC mode (Shield+different equipment). Lots of people do this. I have a high level end paladin that does this.

Edit: my paladin can go from moderately good DPS (remember, your rogue will lose lots of DPS when soloing, unless you utilize Deception weapons, etc.) to fairly good AC (61 w/o any buffs or outside help) but it was a grind to get some of the gear. He can solo pretty much any Wilderness area...although he has to take the Battlefield slowly.

Reiten on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My rogue is Drow and built around dual wielding for sneak attacks. I would have to completely scrap the concept and start over for that.

I'm not looking to tank or anything here. I just want a little more survivability and maybe enough defensive ooph to solo a few wilderness areas from time to time.

If are depending on Sneak Attack DPS than you really can't solo very well anyway, I would think.

Rogue is just not a good solo class.

In a group though you should be fine. Just take the enhancements that lower your threat production and don't steal aggro.

Also, miss chances via Blur or Displacement and the like are probably going to be an easier way to boost your survivability than AC.

That said, if you got the needed loot I don't think being a Drow TWF build would prevent you from getting AC. Compared to what was posted above, you would lose 1 point from not being small and that's it.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That was something I picked up on right away in this game; rogues simply aren't meant for solo'ing. But they're a key component in groups. It's like the reverse situation of WoW. Ultimately, I decided I didn't like the rogue class as far as DDO goes; pen and paper though, sign me up.

Henroid on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah I really didn't like the rogue DDO class, but I've found having one around is extremely handy. One just came into my guild and during our pre-admission adventures, getting all the traps disabled and then having him do some weird stuff to raise his intelligence and open a rune was fantastic.

If you can stick it out as a rogue, you're a great asset.

T4CT on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been soloing fine on my Rogue. My Rogue is a Halfling Assassin spec, dual-wielding daggers (of all things... in other words, not optimized for weapon-type). At around level 7 to 8, AC starts its long decline into worthlessness for all classes except for Paladins and DEX-whores (and even then, AC doesn't scale all that well without significant hits to your combat effectiveness). That's just the way the game is built.

To compensate for the fact that your AC is only going to stop around 10 to 20% of hits, you need to start stacking other things like Concealment mods, damage reduction, and clickies out the wazoo. Miss chance spells like Blur help much more than AC does at the higher difficulties above level 10.

I also play with a Mithral Defender. I had to burn a feat to get it, but it is SO worth it when I'm soloing. The Mithral Defender often takes aggro, slips up even the mightiest enemies with Reflex saves (from Grease), breathes fire, and provides a convenient partner to flank my enemies so I can backstab.

Clickies that heal or provide temporary hitpoints are also awesome. There are two Korthos Island items that fall in this category and are useful for most of the game. The Aid one is particularly good (11 renewable temporary hitpoints? Sign me up!). I also play with a Bodyfeeder Rapier in my main hand when I solo... I get less damage out of my main hand (but lets face it... your damage comes from your backstabs!), but I get the +15 Temporary Hitpoint proc off of nearly every enemy, allowing me to actually tank.

Burn those Uncanny Dodges! +6 Dodge AC is nothing to sneeze at!

I also play like a sneaky bastard. Sneaking and managing backstabs are the rule and not the exception. When you are sneaking and you have a summon, the enemies go after your summon first, providing an easy way to backstab.

The main problem I have as a Rogue is fighting undead (both solo and group), since there is so much undead and many solo-able undead-heavy quests. I picked up a Greater Undead Bane dagger, but I probably need a pair of Disruption light maces for them.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I managed to grab a Disruption heavy mace for very cheap (75k). It's not finesseable, but I have 18 strength from items so I don't miss too often.

My problem with clickies is twofold: I'm running out of screen real estate for hotbars and I'm running out of inventory space. I haven't gotten the final inventory slot yet, though, since I don't have the rep to get the option to choose the collapsed portable hole or really the money to blow on buying one for 400k-1m gold.

As far as sneak attacking goes, I'm getting quite adept at jumping in, hitting stealth, and using Assassinate on a target, even during the middle of combat and occasionally even when I'm being attacked. That is a very satisfying ability to use, especially those rare times when you nail 2-3 people at once with it or instagib that orange Elder Beholder who is disintegrating the rest of your party left and right.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Reiten wrote: »

Do you have someone else to do lots of DPS or maintain agro through Intimidate? Rogue damage largely comes from backstabbing. If you have agro, you won't get it (with a few exceptions). Also, remember that you can't backstab some mobs like undead.

If you really want it, I think the OP of that thread is still active. Ask him for an update.

hrmm pally and a cleric prbly wont be able to pull aggro from me. I guess ill just have to play sneaky.
    thus far i have a pure rogue and a pure barb, we'll see how they develop

valiance on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Is it possible to buy wands of, say, Shield, with a higher caster level than 1?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Think you can get up to level 10, Try the House J and P vendors.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Tried 'em both. Found nothing in either magic shop unless there's another wand vendor in each I missed.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't think you can buy higher level versions of most wands from vendors. You have to either loot them or buy them from the AH.

Reiten on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well that's silly.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well that's silly.

Not really. It would make UMD characters very overpowered.

Reiten on
  • Options
    RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've seen a chart that shows you can find recastable staves of spells up to level 7. So I assume wands would be the same.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kind of a dumb question, but is it worth multiclassing if I'm running a Tank fighter? I'm currently level 5 and about 3k away from popping 6, all fighter, and I've found he's a damn good tank when partied. I thought about multiclassing into Paladin a while back but kind of shoved it to the side, and now I can't really figure out if it's a good idea still or if I should just go full-fighter route.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    T4CT wrote: »
    Kind of a dumb question, but is it worth multiclassing if I'm running a Tank fighter? I'm currently level 5 and about 3k away from popping 6, all fighter, and I've found he's a damn good tank when partied. I thought about multiclassing into Paladin a while back but kind of shoved it to the side, and now I can't really figure out if it's a good idea still or if I should just go full-fighter route.

Full fighter works fine and the Capstone for a Pure Fighter is rather good.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Renegen wrote: »
    I've seen a chart that shows you can find recastable staves of spells up to level 7. So I assume wands would be the same.

If they do exist, they'd be on the vendors in The Twelve. They have some higher level wands, but I don't remember any being above minimum level for the spell. There is at least one higher level Shield clicky on raid gear as well (Abbot w/ Silver Flame necklace turn in, IIRC).

Reiten on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    How good is intimidation at holding / grabbing agro?

Is it like some detaunts where as soon as you hit the target or someone else hits the target the intimidate effect is broken?
    Or is it a debuff that lasts a specific amount of time and for the duration the target is unable to turn away.
    Or does it just add to your threat so you are at the top of the targets hate list with possibly a bit of a buffer?

I was just thinking that a Paladin could theoretically provide a good intimi-tank since they like having lots of Charisma.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Will keep them on you for at least a couple seconds no matter what if you succeed your Intimidate, Intimidate then whacking them a couple times until Intimidate recharges should be able to keep Aggro on you completely

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    Will keep them on you for at least a couple seconds no matter what if you succeed your Intimidate, Intimidate then whacking them a couple times until Intimidate recharges should be able to keep Aggro on you completely

This is what I do and it's extremely effective. Especially when you're armor class is high for your level range (I think) and it's rare for things to ever actually hit you.

But yeah Intimidate is good, what other really good options are there for holding aggro?

T4CT on